Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just how bad or good is Darkfall?

Tutu2Tutu2 Member UncommonPosts: 572

Originally I was going to try this one out....but after reading a few detailed reviews...I'm very put off. The general consensus is that it really, really sucks. To people who have played it, what is your opinions?

Comments

• FarkemanFarkeman Member CommonPosts: 12

its the good , the bad and the ugly (mainly bad and ugly ) :D

its game that had to be released in 2000 to be actualy good ... 

• Needs a skilling sistem complete revamp..to avoid afk macro, and skill grinding for months to be ready for the game pvp itself, needs to have more content so players can choose to do other things then mining half naked or pvp with ocasional crafting.

Needs player housing in more and various places in the world, need more stuff to do in the houses..like agriculture, raising animals, trading e-peen stuff, collections to showoff...

Atm its a game where you can choose to pvp, or pvp..or pvp...no macro afk?? prepare to grind allot, to play darkfall its a must to max alot of skills...you can do that sleeping with afk macro or awake untill your fingers and eyes fallof

• oTinyooTinyo Member Posts: 76

The trial is 1 euro. Give it a shot.

You'll either love it or hate it.

Whether you love or hate it, there is nothing on the market that competes with it. It is a unique experience and one I still greatly enjoy.

A lot of the reviews are written by people who wouldn't normally play a game like this. Why ask a WoW player to review a game with no targeting and full loot? Maybe their editors could answer that.

• docminusdocminus Member Posts: 717

when it comes to skill based games there simply isn't much decent to choose from.

as suggested, try the trial. once you came over the first 2-3 hours where your skills allow you to survive basic npc mobs, that is when you will know if you like it or hate it.

the ganking isn't too bad and the community is pretty fair, aside fromt he usual idiots which you find everywhere.

imageimage

• pye088jpye088j Member Posts: 228

Darkfall is pretty much what it´s supposed to be. If full loot or PvP puts you off don´t bother you wil get killed once in a while. If you´re in it solely for the PvP just join a clan and work with them or else it will take alot of time to actually start with 1 vs 1 PvP. 

This game takes alot of time though and if you usually don´t have patience in games just let this one rest.

All statements I make is from my point of view unless stated otherwise.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

The game is fucking awesome, if you aren't looking for instant gratification, and have the time to commit to it.

The trial is $1. The ONLY way you're going to know is to try for yourself.

• HotjazzHotjazz Member UncommonPosts: 742

Large battles in Darkfall are fantastic, and they are the most fun I`ve had since my UO days. Sadly we lack pvpers at the moment, but I`m hoping AV will do the right thing in DF2010. Full-loot pvp and heavy grind is what DF are known for.

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228
  • RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

Originally posted by cosy

take a look here if u want to see how other have fun

Where do the arrows go? How do you know if they hit etc.. also is there any travel time or do they hit like bullets, it just looks horrible that your just jumping in the air shoot and the arrow just disappears as soon as you release.

• 0guz0guz Member UncommonPosts: 287

Originally posted by rav3n2

Where do the arrows go? How do you know if they hit etc.. also is there any travel time or do they hit like bullets, it just looks horrible that your just jumping in the air shoot and the arrow just disappears as soon as you release.

you hear the hit sound. there is travel time not like bullet. also there is gravity effect. you cannot hit distant things just targetting.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

Originally posted by 0guz

you hear the hit sound. there is travel time not like bullet. also there is gravity effect. you cannot hit distant things just targetting.

Where is the arrow tho? Nowhere in the video can you see the trajectory or the arrow in the air at all, how can you practice your long distance shooting and know what gravity effects on the arrows? the arrow just disappears, can you shoot up in the air and see it arch down on something in the distance?

• 0guz0guz Member UncommonPosts: 287

Originally posted by 0guz

Where is the arrow tho? Nowhere in the video can you see the trajectory or the arrow in the air at all, how can you practice your long distance shooting and know what gravity effects on the arrows? the arrow just disappears, can you shoot up in the air and see it arch down on something in the distance?

yeah you see arrows landing on enemy. you can see at the end of video when he is running away with mount, some of guys at the hill shhoting arrows :)

• Southpaw.GamerSouthpaw.Gamer Member CommonPosts: 572

Is Darkfall a good game, it is if you can do the following / deal with the following

Playing at least 3 hours daily... more around 6+ so that by the end you feel you've done something worthwhile in the game.

Don't mind spending all those hours for the first 2 - 3 months grinding non-stop so that by the time you reach the 3 month mark you can hopefully be somwhat viable in pvp.

90% of the content is geared towards pvp, and it is a good game if you have the time / patience to actually get to the point you can kill other players.

Full Sail University - Game Design

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

I would say to enjoy the game you would have to play pretty solid and work at focused skills OR play very casually and not care about competing on PvP but enjoy the open world and exploring. . setting your own tasks etc.

I think the middle ground, which unfortunately is a lot of people, is where the game has issues. . or is it the players?

I am  a month in and fairly casual.  I play a bit here and there and just have fun running around and exploring . fighting different mobs and once in ahwile focus on a magic skill.  This keeps things fresh for me and not grindy. . .but it will take me longer to "catch up"

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827

Originally posted by Tutu2

Originally I was going to try this one out....but after reading a few detailed reviews...I'm very put off. The general consensus is that it really, really sucks. To people who have played it, what is your opinions?

Its best game ever made its a 10/10 and believe me, im best reviewer in world also=D

Do you belelieve me?.....prolly not hehe.

Reviews are mainly played by reviewers who play it for few hours and judge game on that and many are also themeparks fans and anti free for all pvp full loot and anti sandbox (EUROGAMER bullshit reviewer is example of that)

This site also reviewed Darkfall the played it for shortwhile was not realy a fan of genre and judge darkfall on limited play he had with darkfall so do you believe mmorpg.com?

If you like sandbox like harsh free for all pvp in open zoneless world with no instance no holding hands in fantasy settings.

Then try free trial and judge for yourself becouse most reviews about games are bullshit.

Paragus on this site have made alot of good previews reviews and blogs about Darkfall i suggest read those and you get a fair view of how Darkfall is and its rather objective also even tho he is a fan of Darkfall but he have played it extensively.

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Darkfall is a very good game, all things considered, and getting better each and every patch. It has its own issues of course, as every game does, but if you're an oldschool MMORPG gamer, who is sick of dumbed down WoW clones, Darkfall is the first game in 4 years to do something different or innovative. 

Currently its a sandbox game heavy on the PvP side, but more things are being added each content upgrade to flesh out the sandbox. And if you like PvP, this, or Eve is pretty much the best game for it, now that Dark Age of Camelot is basically dead. I don't consider WoW "battlegrounds" (more like FPS rounds) as real PvP,nor do I consider battles capped at 30 men fighting, with bad mechanics cause the game is balanced for PvE, as real PvP. 

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

It all depends on how you play it. If you play Darkfall to be the best, or to grind to endgame stats, then you will hate it because it is a grind if you play it like one. If you play it like it was meant to be played, which is stat gain over periods of time playing the game and doing quests, and adventuring around with friends and clan mates it will be a hell of a lot more fun. Instead of just macroing up and swimming into walls because macroing and afking make the game boring as hell. I would say playing the second way, made the game about a 9 out of 10 for me. Occasional ganking would irritate me but since gear really doesn't matter that much, I didn't mind.

• vvistovvvvistovv Member Posts: 88

Originally posted by oTinyo

Whether you love or hate it, there is nothing on the market that competes with it. It is a unique experience and one I still greatly enjoy.

A lot of the reviews are written by people who wouldn't normally play a game like this. Why ask a WoW player to review a game with no targeting and full loot? Maybe their editors could answer that.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

It's very good if you have a ton of time to play and don't mind grinding in PVE (no quests, just killing mobs) for 2-3 months before you're competative in PVP against most people.  It would be great if you could accomplish that in less time, but then Darkfall wouldn't be as "hardcore"...

Honestly, I enjoyed my month and didn't quit so much based on my experience but on my prediction of what my experience was going to be for the next 2 months at least (basically the same as it had been).

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663

Originally posted by oTinyo

I second that. I ran the trial and it was worth it. I normally would of never played DFO if I stuck to the reviews but once you get used to the UI its not a bad game.

Warning: Not for the casual MMO player, if you want to advance your going to have to put the time in. Other than that its scary fun. Go for it.

• docminusdocminus Member Posts: 717

Originally posted by Aethaeryn

I would say to enjoy the game you would have to play pretty solid and work at focused skills OR play very casually and not care about competing on PvP but enjoy the open world and exploring. . setting your own tasks etc.

I think the middle ground, which unfortunately is a lot of people, is where the game has issues. . or is it the players?

I am  a month in and fairly casual.  I play a bit here and there and just have fun running around and exploring . fighting different mobs and once in ahwile focus on a magic skill.  This keeps things fresh for me and not grindy. . .but it will take me longer to "catch up"

sounds just like me.

also, the crafting is pretty "nice" for a skill based game (let's not get into the grind thing). i think i did more crafting than fighting so far. it's not a revolution the crafting, but if pvp is not your thing really, you can still do quite a bit in the game. how it will be in the end though for someone like me, i dunno.

imageimage

• BuniontToesBuniontToes Member Posts: 529

I have been playing since beta and having a blast.  First game that has held me for more than 2 months since Shadowbane or AC-DT.

The game is not for everyone.  It is open neded (not linear) and you can play the game in a way which will bore yourself to tears.  On the flip side you can play the game and have fun.  You can find a good guild a level effectively in a short period of time.

It is all up to you.

• OBK1OBK1 Member Posts: 637

Originally posted by Aethaeryn

This is probably true, I've played casually for around three weeks and I love it. but then I fall into the casual, don't care about being competitive category. If you feel like you have to be a top pvp:er you need to spend a lot of time on the game to be able to compete.

But it is a very very fun game. I hesitated a year before trying it and I very much thought I would hate it, instead it is the best MMO-experience I've ever had.

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177

This game is not for everyone. Most reviews that I have read were written by those who have barely played the game . ... and probably not the most skilled FPS. I would definitely rate this game much higher than most people.

I enjoy every game but only Darkfall has consistently given me a rush that tops all others. PVP in other games is just not as awarding and PVE in other games can be too easy and boring.

There is really nothing else like this out there. I do not get a lot of time to play, but if I can spend a couple hours online doing something, it will probably be going on some adventure in the world of Agon. I am absolutely positive that I will not be unsubbing anytime within the next year . ... and have been playing over a year. I have tried getting into many other games, but they do not satisfy me like Darkfall can.

The trial is sh!t . .. you need to sub for a few months at least to get the most out of it and have a proper review imo

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• rwittmaackrwittmaack Member Posts: 79

The general consensus is that it really, really sucks.

It doesn't suck. It's just immensly dissapointing. If Darkfall would just be another bad game we all here could finally move on.