Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning: Users Charged Up to $500 Due to Billing Error

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Mythic Entertainment has confirmed that a billing error is responsible for earlier reports on the official WAR forums that users were being charged multiple times for their subscriptions, with some players reporting that they were charged as much as $500! Mythic has posted an announcement on the WAR Herald assuring players who have experienced this error that the erroneous charges should be reversed within the next 24-36 hours.

If the erroneous charges continue to persist past the next 36 hours, please follow the below instructions:

• Please begin by contacting your financial institution and explain to them that you were incorrectly charged multiple times and, as a result, over drafted.  Most financial institutions will reverse these charges

• If your financial institution is unable to remove these charges, you may contact our billing department by calling 650-628-1001 during our hours of operation, which are 10:00 AM EDT - 10:00 PM EDT, 7 days a week. Please have the phone and fax number of your financial institution ready when you call.

The announcement can be viewed here. The original thread the issue was reported in can be found here.

Comments

• storm-dragonstorm-dragon Member Posts: 157

The fail just keeps coming, now I wonder if this was a Mythic or a EA thing....if the latter I will be leery of giving my card fo SW:TOR.

This sword here at my side dont act the way it should
    Keeps calling me its master, but I feel like its slave
    Hauling me faster and faster to an early, early grave
    And it howls! it howls like hell!

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Very unfortunate for Mythic. This is probably the worst mistake a MMO company can make.

Funny thing is that GOA did almost the same thing in europe (for WAR) they reactivated all canceled subscriptions at one point.

Luckily I have noticed before I was billed. I dont know if everyone was that lucky ?

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Somehow, using prepaid cards doesn't seem as annoying anymore.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • describabledescribable Member UncommonPosts: 407

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Very unfortunate for Mythic. This is probably the worst mistake a MMO company can make.

Funny thing is that GOA did almost the same thing in europe (for WAR) they reactivated all canceled subscriptions at one point.

Luckily I have noticed before I was billed. I dont know if everyone was that lucky ?

mine wasn't reactivated, thank goodness... i hate GOA enough.... useless bunch of monkeys

this is the worst thing to happen to Mythic.... and reflets badly on EA... (not as evil as ubisoft, or codemasters but damn close)

"nothing actually matters, we're just slightly evolved monkeys clinging to a dying piece of rock hurtling through space waiting for our eventual death." - Frankie Boyle, Mock The Week

• jm3334jm3334 Member Posts: 38

Why doesn't anyone realize this isn't EA or Mythic's fault.

They don't operate their own billing systems.  They use a third party vendor.

For all we know it could have been Google Shopping Cart that they use and failed.  Do we flame Google as a failure now?

Ugh...at some point Devs will look outside the box.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I could forsee this having some ripple effects, such as overdraft charges.  This could get expensive for Warhammer Online assuming this is a widespread problem.

Originally posted by Terranah

I could forsee this having some ripple effects, such as overdraft charges.  This could get expensive for Warhammer Online assuming this is a widespread problem.

Warhammer isn't responsible for any of the overcharge fees or anything billing related....their billing vendor is.

Why do people constantly make such uneducated comments on these boards?

• VyavaVyava Member Posts: 893

Originally posted by Methos12

Somehow, using prepaid cards doesn't seem as annoying anymore.

After being multi-charged on my WoW account I have taken to playing games with time cards exclusively.

Fair warning even though the duplicate charges look obvious enough prepare for a battle with the bank as well as long wait times for refunds. I don't know about other states but here the bank kept my money right up to the end of the 30 day limit for refunds.

For those who are mis-billed in any game keep a good record of all conversations with your bank and the billing company. Always get names and extensions of everyone you talk to. Be prepared for a long long battle.

• synnsynn Member UncommonPosts: 563

damn I got charged 21 times >.<

• ForceQuitForceQuit Member Posts: 350

Originally posted by jm3334

Warhammer isn't responsible for any of the overcharge fees or anything billing related....their billing vendor is.

Having setup websites with billing vendors for clients before, depending on the contract EA has with the billing vendor, they very well could be responsible to some predetermined degree.  Why do people constantly make such uneducated comments on these boards?

• Konner920Konner920 Member UncommonPosts: 295

New subscriber here and I got owned 14 times LOL.

My mom texted me while I was in school and told me that im like typical EA.

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

ya, not good.  Banks are going to end up blocking drafts for normal subscriptions and declining to be used for mythic subscriptions.  Just like one of my banks do with paypal and other online services

Originally posted by ForceQuit

Having setup websites with billing vendors for clients before, depending on the contract EA has with the billing vendor, they very well could be responsible to some predetermined degree.  Why do people constantly make such uneducated comments on these boards?

EA could have contractual obligations...but they weren't the ones who made the mistake.  It was their vendor that made the mistake.

• RunningSlothRunningSloth Member Posts: 8

I know Mythic liked to break their own game code every patch, but now they're getting their hands into the accounting too!?!? I just took a poll of the Mythic programmers ... 9 out of 10 wish they had a Hot Tub Time Machine

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

DAoC got it worse   some dude was charged 1500 and ended up with huge overdraft fees

• CorlocCorloc Member Posts: 2

I got hit 32 times. Fortunately when I called my bank they said they'd waive all overdraft fees once Mythic refunds my money.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I think if for instance, Mythic takes out $500 and you were unaware and go to a store and write a check, you could be charged by the store for insufficient funds. That would be seperate from the bank charges for an overdraft.  I'm not sure how it would play out with third parties.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Why doesn't anyone realize this isn't EA or Mythic's fault.

They don't operate their own billing systems.  They use a third party vendor.

For all we know it could have been Google Shopping Cart that they use and failed.  Do we flame Google as a failure now?

They hired in the company so it is at least partly their fault. And if you bought something and got billed a lot more you would most likely be upset on the company you bought the stuff from, it is just human nature.

It is very unfortunate and I hope Mythic gives the affected some free game-time or something, they really can't afford something like this.

Errors do happening but Mythic do have a record of working together with incompetent companies (I am looking at you GOA). And this is not the first time we hear about billing problems from them, they must take this seriously. Time to rent in someone competent instead.

• somonekilwowsomonekilwow Member UncommonPosts: 96

This deserves a big LOL.

<iframe src="http://www.wowarmory.com/character-model-embed.xml?r=Malorne&cn=Ashkin&rhtml=true"; scrolling="no" height="588" width="321" frameborder="0"></iframe>

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

4 things:

1) My company sees an opportunity here.... lol (we process credit cards)

2) The billing company they used is in a world of hurt. Asking the bank to waive fees is nearly futile. So those fees are going to have to be paid by someone, and probably NOT the bank's customer (hence why the bank won't waive them, their customer isn't going to be hurt by them).

3) If your bank didn't CALL you about this incident and you were charged more than 3 or 4 times, SWITCH BANKS. They should have had enough fraud detection running to put a lock on your account (especially if it is a debit card not a credit card) after the first few obviously identical transactions hit in a manner of seconds.

4) This shows the danger of using a debit card tied to your "main" account. Get a second account and just keep enough money in it to pay your monthly fees for a few months at a time, and transfer funds as needed. That way if a problem such as this occurs, you're not out of your rent/car payments (unless of course THEY are the ones with the problem lol).

• Capn23Capn23 Member Posts: 1,529

All you can do is laugh it off and wait until Mythic fixes the problem.

Mistakes happen.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Guys! I'm hopelessly lost in a mountain of mole hills! Them damn moles!

• sevitothsevitoth Member UncommonPosts: 375

This should really help Warhammer Online and DAOC's low subscription numbers.....

Currently Playing: DAOC Uthgard

Previously Played: UO, DAOC, Shadowbane, AC2, SWG, Horizons, COX, WOW, EQ2, LOTRO, AOC, WAR, Vanguard, Rift, SWTOR, ESO, GW2.

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

I am speechless, this is an impressive mistake, sometimes you think you have seen it all... some heads and wallets are gonna roll...

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

In most cases, a company responsible for an error such as this would reimburse the total amount they overdrew. That said, if they caused overdrafts on people's accounts, it is unlikely they would reimburse those. No way to prove the person would have overdrawn even without the extra cash depletion (yes it's a flimsy argument). The logic of the company doing the over-bill is that it's better to lose a customer (especially one paying only  $15 a month) than to pay more money out. Sure, you can argue and threaten to sue but it's unlikely to ever happen so they shrug and move on.

• Christopher8Christopher8 Member Posts: 134

Haha. Holy ****! Expect Mythic to be kissing every player's ass until the next billing cycle.