Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So is there still no drug dealing or prostitution, AKA crime for criminals to do?

Comments

• SWGmodAlphaSWGmodAlpha Member Posts: 126

Originally posted by Stakex

Yea because robbing stores, banks, and other people aren't crimes? Oh and lets not forget about shootings, car theft, assault, hit and run, and what ever else Im sure they have in the game don't count as crime either? 

Do you seriouslly need to have low-life crimes such as drug dealing and prostitution in the game? Do you honestly think thoes are the only crimes in this world? If so, you sir, have some serious issues. Not to mention this game appears to be about action oriented crime, such as bank robberies. Its kinda hard to have running shootouts with prostisutes...

Modern era criminals cannot make a living assaulting strangers and robbing banks.  RISK is way too high.

Real Life crime is drugs and prostitution because those are crimes that require public participation.  IE, no one is forcing anyone to drive downtown and find a hooker or buy drugs.  Joe Public decides to do that on their own.

While I understand the marketing, I think it is fail for a game that portends to be a modern cops and robbers game.

If this is the tact for the game, then it should have been set in the 1920s and 30s with Mobsters running alcohol and running speak'easies.  Then you could at least have smuggler runs from Canada to the USA.

Plus criminals could make a living during that time frame robbing banks and peeps.

Hits were put on peeps all the time for mob control and territory.

IMHO.

• VaultFairyVaultFairy Member UncommonPosts: 566

I glanced a few articles of this game a few times, but never bothered to read about it. Always thought that this was going to be a 50cent game or something.

I ended up staying up til about 2:30am watching Youtube video's and the podcasts. And i'm actually looking forward to this and i even applied for beta. xD

Anyway read a couple of pages but i think i got the grasp of the who argument going on. I see alot of people comparing it to GTA. I want to know... Erm.... why? First you compare every fantasy MMO to WoW and a new type/setting MMO that (for all i know) hasnt been done before.

I can see the pro's and con's of drug dealing and prostitution, seen a few good ideas about the two on here so far which could actually work out but we never know yet. Shouldn't we all just accept it to be something different other than orc's and blooming goblins, lets not hack at it yet. Never know these features could be added in a later date.

Drugs get imported at the docks, Criminals go to collect while Enforcers go to seize it. If the Enforcers collect it, they take it back to the Police HQ then the mission ends and the Enforcers get a nice reward. But if the Criminals get to it they have to take it to their hideout so they can distribute it among a designated "Criminal" drug dealers. Which they can accompanied by the Criminals while they distribute it to other random NPC's and gain a percentage of the drug thats sold. Enforcers are alerted to arrest or kill them, and just carry on until the designated "Criminal" drug dealer is dead, maybe like a protect mission for Criminals and a search and destroy for the Enforcers. That way the missions can be put in stages just like in the gameplay videos.

Either way i dont think we should compare it, as i think it deserves to be recognised for being original in the MMO scene. Just my idea and thoughts anyway xD

• Nekrosis1Nekrosis1 Member Posts: 25

The OP clearly listens to too much Hip-Hop.

• kingtommyboykingtommyboy Member Posts: 543

Originally posted by UltimateN00b

Read in the official forums a year ago about and it said no Drug Dealing and no Prostitution.  Is that still the policy of the developers, "no crime in a crime based game," or did they finally grow a spine with Jack Thompson disbarred?

no drugs in a game about crime? that's like a bar without beer :D !

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    waiting for ... nothing..

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Don't worry the community will fix the prostitution issue. ERP anyone?

• KrashnerKrashner Member Posts: 137

Originally posted by kingtommyboy

Originally posted by UltimateN00b

Read in the official forums a year ago about and it said no Drug Dealing and no Prostitution.  Is that still the policy of the developers, "no crime in a crime based game," or did they finally grow a spine with Jack Thompson disbarred?

no drugs in a game about crime? that's like a bar without beer :D !

Believe me....they exist....

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

if you want an rpg with lots of drugs pick up the witcher, all those magic potions with the strongest and even magical alcohols as their base material with tons of strange and exotic herbs dusts and extracts mixed in to make you perform at super human levels, and a building toxicity when you take too many too fast, thats some real life drug correlation in a video game right there!

• describabledescribable Member UncommonPosts: 407

Originally posted by neorandom

if you want an rpg with lots of drugs pick up the witcher, all those magic potions with the strongest and even magical alcohols as their base material with tons of strange and exotic herbs dusts and extracts mixed in to make you perform at super human levels, and a building toxicity when you take too many too fast, thats some real life drug correlation in a video game right there!

fantastic game too, the devs of that game even released the deluxe version for free to everyone now....

you can't argue with that... (nice novels too).

But yeah ...  can't remember playing Cops & Robbers as a kid determined to have prostitutes and drugs an intergal part of the game.

"nothing actually matters, we're just slightly evolved monkeys clinging to a dying piece of rock hurtling through space waiting for our eventual death." - Frankie Boyle, Mock The Week

• JKnight1JKnight1 Member Posts: 72

Yes, it may make sense in a game about crime, yes it may be realistic. But you have to realize a few things. Marketing will become more challenging, getting the desired rating will be harder, and, the biggets point SO many have missed: International Release. MANY European, Asian, and Oceanic countries outright bar such content, like Australia, Germany, and many Middle-Eastern countries.

And those areas generally tend to have a HUGE portion of the world's gamers. Add in that content, they can say goodbuy to their dollars. Gotta realize, yeah, they wanna make a game for people to enjoy, but they also wanna make money. The Game Industry is exactly that, providing goods and entertainment for profit. Can't profit if you cut out 1/4th of the planet by including 2 rather unneeded features.

You got these crimes to commit:

Robbery

Breaking-and-Entering

Mugging

Assault

Grand Theft Auto

Hit-and-Run

Defacing Public Property (Tagging)

Public Destruction

Kidnapping

And probably a few others i'm missing. That's MORE than plenty for a game about Cops and Robbers. The CLASSIC childhood game we all played with our friends outside as a kid. We didn't act like druglords and pimps. We acted like armed thieves and robbers. And APB gives us this chance to act like that.

So, again, to reiterate. Sure Drugs and Prostitution would make sense, but it's entirely unnecessary from a gameplay standpoint, and a hinderance in a business standpoint.

Want drugs and prostitution? Play GTA Multiplayer, figuring that the majority of you complaining about the lack therof feel APB is just a glorified GTA Multiplayer Mode.

• TSWBETAROGSTSWBETAROGS Member Posts: 196

Originally posted by JKnight1

Yes, it may make sense in a game about crime, yes it may be realistic. But you have to realize a few things. Marketing will become more challenging, getting the desired rating will be harder, and, the biggets point SO many have missed: International Release. MANY European, Asian, and Oceanic countries outright bar such content, like Australia, Germany, and many Middle-Eastern countries.

And those areas generally tend to have a HUGE portion of the world's gamers. Add in that content, they can say goodbuy to their dollars. Gotta realize, yeah, they wanna make a game for people to enjoy, but they also wanna make money. The Game Industry is exactly that, providing goods and entertainment for profit. Can't profit if you cut out 1/4th of the planet by including 2 rather unneeded features.

You got these crimes to commit:

Robbery

Breaking-and-Entering

Mugging

Assault

Grand Theft Auto

Hit-and-Run

Defacing Public Property (Tagging)

Public Destruction

Kidnapping

And probably a few others i'm missing. That's MORE than plenty for a game about Cops and Robbers. The CLASSIC childhood game we all played with our friends outside as a kid. We didn't act like druglords and pimps. We acted like armed thieves and robbers. And APB gives us this chance to act like that.

So, again, to reiterate. Sure Drugs and Prostitution would make sense, but it's entirely unnecessary from a gameplay standpoint, and a hinderance in a business standpoint.

Want drugs and prostitution? Play GTA Multiplayer, figuring that the majority of you complaining about the lack therof feel APB is just a glorified GTA Multiplayer Mode.

What can you do as a cop. I realy hope thay make patches and expantion where you can be SWAT with flash bags mirrors and stuff ;).

This game looks good, just hope peopl will go off there wow wagon and try other MMOs. Alot good once comming out in 2010 and 2011.

• BannneBannne Member Posts: 244

Originally posted by Nekrosis1

The OP clearly listens to too much Hip-Hop.

And you clearly don't know what you are talking about. Drugs have been sold and taken long before hip hop came about,many Artists talk about drugs in their songs.

Oh and just to let you know,there our drug running missins in APB.

• june32ndjune32nd Member Posts: 122

Originally posted by Stakex

Yea because robbing stores, banks, and other people aren't crimes? Oh and lets not forget about shootings, car theft, assault, hit and run, and what ever else Im sure they have in the game don't count as crime either? 

Do you seriouslly need to have low-life crimes such as drug dealing and prostitution in the game? Do you honestly think thoes are the only crimes in this world? If so, you sir, have some serious issues. Not to mention this game appears to be about action oriented crime, such as bank robberies. Its kinda hard to have running shootouts with prostisutes...

EXCUSE ME?!

it's low life crime to sell drugs and prostituation but in no way shape or form is robbing stores, who could be mom and pop shops and other people are low life crimes? secondly I know a lot of drug dealers who aren't low lifes. I've known my dealers and their my friends since high school (4 yrs ago) .. I even have new dealers at my college. drug dealing is a low life activitiy, there is mad money involved they are not low lives there a bussiness men making monkey. not everyone goes to some back ally for drugs,abortions, and selling organs. Low lifes are people who sell drugs than beat you for the rest of your money and take back the drugs. or kill pregnant women, or people who rob a house owned by a man in a wheel chair.

you can't call a drug dealer a low life there are just trying to making money, it's a lucritive business.

you really know nothing about prostisutes if you think there are shootouts. Do you understand how prostisution works? the pimp isn't even there he drops the girls off and comes back later for the cash and for slapping. never once do one pimp fight another pimp unless they are face to face and someone disrespects the other, than the only ones getting shot at are the pimps, there no kill the women because they are products and the winning can use them for his own gain..

you ignorant.

Originally posted by Hardtuner

wow you actully want to deal drugs and have prostitues in a game wow thats sad lol... isent stealing cars, breakign into places robbing people shotting up other gangs, cops good enuff?

im sorry lets take that out and JUST have drugs and hoes...

some people lol

either you can do it all and you don't do any of it. that's how people are feeling. I'd love to sell drugs in the real world. Make mad money and sit back and do nothing but smoke weed all day knowing i can easily just wait for my phone to ring and cha ching 20-50 bucks.. I like how all these people are so against both drug dealing and prostitues it's funny like they hold themselves higher than the rest of the world who can't make it so they find there own way to make it in the world today.

I really think it's because these types of people who feel so strongly again'st drug dealing and prostitues are mad because they never had the balls to think oh shit. I could easily make 20-50 a sale on drugs. Not saying prostitues is a money making that's just fucked up for human beings but it provides a huge source of income. I know plenty of people from highschool and now in college who are selling drugs because it's a good way to make a lot a quick money. Your only mad because you never had the means or the nerve to do such a thing and have to continue on the rat race instead of sitting back enjoying life. that's the real crime, not enjoying life

• AkumaDaimyoAkumaDaimyo Member Posts: 185

I want to be the grammar nazi police and shoot people dead who talk like "You ignant foolio! I be so jive talking like dis!" That would make for a funny enforcer.

Originally posted by hvc801

wow you actully want to deal drugs and have prostitues in a game wow thats sad lol... isent stealing cars, breakign into places robbing people shotting up other gangs, cops good enuff?

some people lol

Selling drugs and pimping hoes is a crime.  In a game about crime, there should be these aspects.  Stop thinking morally and think virtually. 

Crime game.. Needs crime.  Selling drugs - Boost money, power, respect, and gangsta thugin! It would also benefit the cops, busting a large drug ring, cleaning the streets, a.k.a the war against drugs.  This drug and prostitute aspect could be vital to this game if some producers / developers actually wrote out a list of pros and cons.  I'm sure the pros in this case will heavily outweigh the cons.

People are still failing to realize the a video game is FAKE... and parents need to draw a line if they don't want their kids playing certain titles. 

just to quote you for the truth

and to say with out drug selling I'm not even wasting my money on this game. Flame post on, but it's either all crimes are allows or none are.

Originally posted by AkumaDaimyo

I want to be the grammar nazi police and shoot people dead who talk like "You ignant foolio! I be so jive talking like dis!" That would make for a funny enforcer.

you should and watch how many people just go to shoot you for the fun on it

also jive? what are you over 50?

Originally posted by june32nd

some people lol

either you can do it all and you don't do any of it. that's how people are feeling. I'd love to sell drugs in the real world. Make mad money and sit back and do nothing but smoke weed all day knowing i can easily just wait for my phone to ring and cha ching 20-50 bucks.. I like how all these people are so against both drug dealing and prostitues it's funny like they hold themselves higher than the rest of the world who can't make it so they find there own way to make it in the world today.

I really think it's because these types of people who feel so strongly again'st drug dealing and prostitues are mad because they never had the balls to think oh shit. I could easily make 20-50 a sale on drugs. Not saying prostitues is a money making that's just fucked up for human beings but it provides a huge source of income. I know plenty of people from highschool and now in college who are selling drugs because it's a good way to make a lot a quick money. Your only mad because you never had the means or the nerve to do such a thing and have to continue on the rat race instead of sitting back enjoying life. that's the real crime, not enjoying life

Or maybe, just maybe they have some actual morals and were brought up right so as to think selling drugs isn't exactly a great way to make a living. I mean god forbid someone have some scrupals and not act like some wanna be tough teen who thinks selling drugs is "kewl." Yeah it's cool until you go to jail and your ripe young ass is your cell mates "drug".

And what are you? Under 13? Sorry pal but people actually do use the word jive a lot more than you think.

some people lol

Or maybe, just maybe they have some actual morals and were brought up right so as to think selling drugs isn't exactly a great way to make a living. I mean god forbid someone have some scrupals and not act like some wanna be tough teen who thinks selling drugs is "kewl." Yeah it's cool until you go to jail and your ripe young ass is your cell mates "drug".

no my upbringing is just as fine as the rest of the people here. I think it's sad that I'm morally fucked up because I can see an easy way to the top of the money train than the rest of you.

you follow the rules and your safe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ihPOTDxMfE

And what are you? Under 13? Sorry pal but people actually do use the word jive a lot more than you think.

no one who truely speaks like that uses jive anymore that went out with all the funk in the 70s

some people lol

no my upbringing is just as fine as the rest of the people here. I think it's sad that I'm morally fucked up because I can see an easy way to the top of the money train than the rest of you.

you follow the rules and your safe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ihPOTDxMfE

No, I think it's sad that you don't think selling drugs is wrong. Sure sure your upbringing is fine. Obviously not if you think selling drugs is the way to go.

no one who truely speaks like that uses jive anymore that went out with all the funk in the 70s

Not really. People still use it. Nice logical fallacy though. Because YOU haven't heard anyone use it, obviously no one does. image

• sylacussylacus Member Posts: 17

Seems this thread has derailed just slightly.

However my 2 cents. Seems kind of silly to have a gang game without the afromentioned things.

Originally posted by Vinterkrig

Not really. People still use it. Nice logical fallacy though. Because YOU haven't heard anyone use it, obviously no one does. image

i've never heard it be used either and in the past 5 or 6 years I've lived in Cali. , Mass. , Texas and Oklahoma 

I think you are the only one talking jive, you turkey

Call me a jive turkey?! It's on now!image

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

My impression is that this will be more of an action game. Thus, it focuses on the shoot-cops-in-the-face aspect of gang life (because gangs are usually too busy shooting each other) rather than the drug selling or prostitution aspects. Too bad, so sad.

And there's a member on this site named jiveturkey, so...

And my take on the whole morality of drug-dealing: Drugs should not be illegal. If you make something illegal, you only increase its desirability tenfold. That leads to crime, overfilled jails, competition between dealers, and gang dominance. Make it legal, tax it to all hell and get some money back into the U.S., but strictly control sale to minors, advertise drugs' harmful effects, etc. Just like cigarettes or alcohol. Honestly, you can't do much more than that without having counterproductive side effects.

And yes, june does sound like he's under 13.