Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am looking for a new MMORPG to play, advice needed

ShazbhamShazbham Member Posts: 6

Sorry if this is the incorrect forum to post in.

A little background to help you help me:

I've been around gaming since the early 8088/8086,  No HDD games like Zork and MMORPG's like M59 and The Realm.  I got the MMO bug early when playing The Realm, I used to love the combat, the special events on holidays and the way housing worked.  Then came UO and I got hooked for good.   UO, IMO is still "THE" Game that brings back the fondest of memories to me.  I loved the way you advanced your crafter (the hours sweating over the anvil with all the other potential master crafters), and how you could mix and match professions to build the ultimate warrior or mage or... Then there was the PVP aspect of the game, it was everywhere and everyone did it, and the Bounty system and...

I've played several games since:  From EQ - SWG - Lotro - Vangard etc....  I never really liked WOW, some say I never gave it a long enough trial ( almost 8 months at the beginning, not including testing).  I loved SWG but quit before they came around with the NGE and was out of MMO gaming for about 3 - 4 years.  I've been back playing SWG for about the last 8 months or so.  

I  now find that my time playing SWG is just about over and I'm looking for another game to try. This is where you can help me the most by offering me suggestions on what games to try so I can make an informed decision.

I'm looking for a game where I could start playing and not be too far behind the curve.  A game that has fun PVE and PVP aspects, a game that does not require grouping and is as good playing alone or with 1 friend as it is playing in a full group.  A  game that has good, fun to learn and play crafting professions as well as good, fun to learn and play combat professions.  If the game has beast mastery, mounts/vehicles etc.. that would be great!

I've been reading for days trying to figure out where to go and I still have no clue as to what game might fit in with what I want to play?  it would also be fun to know where there is a list of how I can find out what games are currently in or will be entering in to aplha or beta testing.  In the past I've done a lot of testing in games from The Realm II - UO on through vangard and Lotro.  I think it might be fun to start testing games agin :).

If you've read this far I Thank You!

Current Games: SWG
Previous games: M59, The Realm, UO, EQ, AC, AO, WWII Offline, DAOC, SWG, WoW, Lotro, Vanguard + More

Comments

• ShazbhamShazbham Member Posts: 6

I was hoping to have some feeback at least :(.

I just tried Darkfall and thought the game was horrible, too slow, clumsy, terrbile gui, everything takes forever and ever to get thru, it's kind of a cross between early UO (server crashes, terrible ai, gankin + Much More  There is  No manul or is there any where or way to find out how to really play the game other than a really badly done help section and an all too short tutorial that  only covers the basics of movement and combat) and 12 month mark EQ (after all the big nerfs).

The concept is realy good,  Pvp everywhere, item decay, skills that you can mix and match to build a completely unique toon.  other than that there is nothing,  I won't be back to that game.

So this still leaves me with no game to play, suggestions anyone?

Previous games: M59, The Realm, UO, EQ, AC, AO, WWII Offline, DAOC, SWG, WoW, Lotro, Vanguard + More

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

thats a tough one.  You seem to like the old school stuff yet dislike grouping...which is what most of them had.

a few questions:

Graphics:  Do they matter?  (are you cool with 2d and/or crappy graphics)

Price:  Are you ok with F2P and/or P2P?

At this current stage i would say look into Champions online or even City of Heroes.  It might be a little refreshing playing a non fantasy/sci-fi game

Aside from that there are a few nice sandbox games on the horizon (but i take it you want a game now)

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• lavosslayerlavosslayer Member Posts: 55

Quite honestly I would suggest just waiting until some of the big MMO titles this year come out. Since you seem to have played most of the major games and stuck with SWG the longest, I think that Earthrise would be your best bet. It is going to offer alot of the same concepts that SWG tried to deliver on but ultimately failed in doing.

In the meantime if you have to play something Fallen Earth might peak your interest. If not then I have no idea what to tell you. I'm personally biding my time until SWTOR comes out next spring by playing LOTRO. The skirmish system is really quite fun as far as I'm concerned and there really isn't much out there right now thats worth throwing money at.

Originally posted by lavosslayer

Quite honestly I would suggest just waiting until some of the big MMO titles this year come out. Since you seem to have played most of the major games and stuck with SWG the longest, I think that Earthrise would be your best bet. It is going to offer alot of the same concepts that SWG tried to deliver on but ultimately failed in doing.

In the meantime if you have to play something Fallen Earth might peak your interest. If not then I have no idea what to tell you. I'm personally biding my time until SWTOR comes out next spring by playing LOTRO. The skirmish system is really quite fun as far as I'm concerned and there really isn't much out there right now thats worth throwing money at.

Thanks for the quick reply, I appreciate it.  I'll look up Earthrise and see what it's about.  I played Lotro from besta until just after release, I never really liked the way it played and I'm not really a quest type of person ad that seemed like all there was to do there.  The things about SWG that really hooked me was the really in depth crafting system they have.  Thansk again for your input.

Originally posted by Death1942

thats a tough one.  You seem to like the old school stuff yet dislike grouping...which is what most of them had.

a few questions:

Graphics:  Do they matter?  (are you cool with 2d and/or crappy graphics)

Price:  Are you ok with F2P and/or P2P?

At this current stage i would say look into Champions online or even City of Heroes.  It might be a little refreshing playing a non fantasy/sci-fi game

Aside from that there are a few nice sandbox games on the horizon (but i take it you want a game now)

Yah I love the original Origin UO, PVP every where, go red when you kille someone, bounties, mage warriors etc etc.  I loved UO before they caved and made it care bear.  The Realm was also really good, I loved the combat and the housing in that game.  It would be great to get in to a game that was origianl UO and The Realm mixed together with modern graphics, on seemless scalable servers.

BTW what good sandbox games are coming out soon? I seem to read a lot but gain very little real info unless someone else says so in a forums like this?  Hmmm

• ClaxisClaxis Member UncommonPosts: 16

Have you tried the Fallen Earth 10 day trial, It has very good crafting system and you can solo almost everything, some people love the game, others hate it.  Check the forums around here.