Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who misses Tabula Rasa?

Comments

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

They need to bring it back as a F2p.

No reason this game should have gone totally offline.

Complete fail by NCsoft.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

Originally posted by terrant

Originally posted by Shijeer

Originally posted by Blazeyer

Originally posted by Shijeer

Was entertaining but ultimately got repetitive and lacked real focus, the never-ending war motif sounded good on paper but didn't quite work out that well. Once players understood that their efforts were futile and meaningless it got stale and quite dull fast.

Another, hopefully valuable, lesson for the humble mmo, throwing enemies at players 24/7 is not 100% guaranteed to make for long lasting excitement. 

- Shijeer

Agreed. It would've been cool though if they had something similar to FFXI where every week the "past" changes and either the beastmen or one of the countries owns a zone. I just think this game had so much untapped potential. 

IMO its biggest flaw was the lack of a proper 'meta-game' in which conquest and territory control actually mattered on a larger, more strategic scale. The whole 'enemies spawning after set periods of time near all bases' was so superficial and shallow it pains.

- Shijeer

True, but the potential!

TR did things no one else seemed to think of. It was like someone merged WoW and planetside and set it loose on the world. It had some new ideas about combat, about persistent world gameplay, about everything!

It suffered from a lack of funds, a lack of hype, and a lack of time to grow. Given another year or two and it could have been a monster.

It had new ideas about persistent worlds? Really? They must have left it out of the game then. TR fights were fun, the rest lacked imagination. The war was atrocious as a backstory since it never was expanded upon. The fights were the same in the same place all the time.

Originally posted by Blazeyer

Originally posted by Dameonk

I do miss TR sometimes.  I didn't get to play it very long and was just starting to like it when they announced the game was shutting down, so I left.

My friend played it for quite a while longer than I did and it was one of his favorite games.

My opinion on the problem is that they should have made it more group based.  It was a pseudo-FPS multiplayer game and it should have been treated as such.

Soloing was... well, ok.... it was kind of boring and not too exciting really, but grouping in TR was such a BLAST!  It was honestly some of the most fun I've ever had in an MMO game.  Unfortunately if I didn't already know the people I was grouped with, it was neigh impossible to get a PUG going to capture a base or do some questing.

I really feel if they had forced grouping a bit more it would have been drastically more popular.

Edit:  There's such a huge focus these days on solo gameplay that I feel the genre has really lost touch with what made it great in the first place, adventuring with friends.

I don't know there were always quests you needed to find groups for, especially when you're going into an enemy base for a quest or when you're doing an instance. I actually forgot they had instances haha. 

(Play FFXI if you want to group, people are and will always be leveling in that game and you NEED a group to level.)

I soloed to level 50. You never needed a group and that to me was one of TRs biggest downfalls. A huge war is supposed to be raging and I, by myself am more powerful then the entire Bane army? TR lacked that epic feel because it made the individual over powered.

You claim you loved this game, but you seem to have forgotten everything about it.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Originally posted by Rockgod99

Complete fail by NCsoft.

This

I cant believe they shut down the game.

It had only one problem - lack of content.

Otherwise it was kick ass fun to play. Fail NC soft , mega Fail

Originally posted by describable

i miss TR, it was still massively popular in europe before it... was well "canned" most of the troubling issues from launch had been dealt with.. an economy was forming.

it was.. dare i say it.. becoming "fun"...

sigh...

• rikwesrikwes Member Posts: 90

It is the only game  I still have installed which was published by NCsoft. I even uninstalled GW after my main account on that one was hacked . I unistalled GW,Aion , L2,CoH  (  after TR closure I was disgusted with the company and Aion was their last chance, guess ?? ) .

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

it is funny, people did nothing but hate this game when it was still running..now they all want it back image

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Originally posted by Rockgod99

Complete fail by NCsoft.

This

I cant believe they shut down the game.

It had only one problem - lack of content.

Otherwise it was kick ass fun to play. Fail NC soft , mega Fail

It had a lot more than just one problem. It had potential but it was never close to realized. It could have been a great game, no WOW killer, but a top Sci-Fi MMO for sure. If it truly had only one problem more people would have kept playing. Obviously the game had issues.

Originally posted by SgtFrog

it is funny, people did nothing but hate this game when it was still running..now they all want it back image

If anyone brings it back I hope they spend a year making it worth playing again. AN actual challenge and the war for mankinds survival should be a little more epic then TR was.

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

it is funny, people did nothing but hate this game when it was still running..now they all want it back

"Don't know what you got till it's gone
    Don't know what it is I did so wrong
    Now I know what I got
    It's just this song
    And it ain't easy to get back
    Takes so long"

http://www.vh1.com/video/cinderella/98631/dont-know-what-you-got-till-its-gone.jhtml

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

I loved it, was very different, fast paced and fun.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• ericbelserericbelser Member Posts: 783

There was nothing wrong with TR that  an ongoing content team couldn't have fixed.

• MMO-ManiacMMO-Maniac Member Posts: 176

I mis it.

I really enjoyed TR. I enjoyed the base defences and takings. Tried to get groups going to give buffs and improve everyones chances against the beasties.

Lack of content was it's biggest issue, not the only one, but the biggest by my measure.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

>>>F..ng stupid editor since the revamp of the website I can't use it to quote anyone properly.

Anyway, NCSoft clearly closed this game to get rid of Richard Garriott's options before Aion release, and frauded his latter to the community to make it look like he's voluntarily  leaving the company - which based on their own firm laws, he had to sell options he had in NCsoft. Which was multiple times lower than how much they have now after Aion release. He said he losed milions in this, and he's sueing NCSoft for 25mil and the Tabula Rasa copyrights for future re-release. Let's all hope he's gonna win.

REALITY CHECK

• netsamurainetsamurai Member UncommonPosts: 23

I really miss the game.  I had followed it for a while before it's release and was excited when it went gold.  After I got it, I played all the time when I wasn't working.  It had such promise.  The scope of the game and what it could have become, was incredible.  Unfortunately it was killed before it could reach it's true ultimate potential.  It's a shame that something that is such a unique game could be killed in such a short time.

I really enjoyed the open world PvP in this game.  The Clan vs Clan option rocked.  I remember teleporting into town and a couple reds were on the radar in the med center, naturally I had to fight them both off with my Guardian, made for some really funtimes.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Damn, I still tend to read the beatiful AFS Field Guide I got in special collector's edition. This game was actually a great fun with one of the best in-game soundtrack ever.

REALITY CHECK

• gszebegszebe Member UncommonPosts: 214

This is my exact thought.

I liked TB a lot, it was a fresh air for me despite I'm fond of fantasy settings. It had issues definitely, but it was not that crap as many thought. 

And it's more important that NO good came from its shutting down from a gamer's point of view! (Although I guess some doomsayers and other morons were happy for a while...)

Originally posted by Thillian

Damn, I still tend to read the beatiful AFS Field Guide I got in special collector's edition. This game was actually a great fun with one of the best in-game soundtrack ever.

I carry the coin around in my pocket hoping to meet another TR player and challenge them IRL hehe.

Originally posted by Thillian

>>>F..ng stupid editor since the revamp of the website I can't use it to quote anyone properly.

Anyway, NCSoft clearly closed this game to get rid of Richard Garriott's options before Aion release, and frauded his latter to the community to make it look like he's voluntarily  leaving the company - which based on their own firm laws, he had to sell options he had in NCsoft. Which was multiple times lower than how much they have now after Aion release. He said he losed milions in this, and he's sueing NCSoft for 25mil and the Tabula Rasa copyrights for future re-release. Let's all hope he's gonna win.

If he wins, I hope he spends a year making TR good. Releasing what they had again would not help.

Originally posted by sinjin

I really enjoyed the open world PvP in this game.  The Clan vs Clan option rocked.  I remember teleporting into town and a couple reds were on the radar in the med center, naturally I had to fight them both off with my Guardian, made for some really funtimes.

TO me the PvP in TR was poorly implemented at best and completely against the story of the game. Mankind fighting for its very survival and against itself to appease the PvPers. Mankind was supposed to be fighting for its right to exist. Not to mention the many skills that were borked in PvP.

It could have had a good PvP system, it needed work to get there though.

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

I had some good times blasting alien invaders at bases, but yea, it could have been so much more

• nepulasnepulas Member UncommonPosts: 218

i miss tr so hard ... yeah there was no real endcontet but to play this game was so fun compared to the most games i have played.

eq2 was my second mmo and the mmo where i always returned ...

in age of conan i loved the melee combat but everything else was so poor designed so i quit and i ll never come back .. for sure.

tr lacked really hard in the endgame but its the best combat expirience along with aoc that i made in all of the many mmos i played.

need it back !

Retired : Daoc , Warhammer , WoW , Lotro , Tabula Rasa , Everquest 2 , Aion, Eve , AoC , SW:Tor ( failwars ), Planetside 2
    Waiting : Star Citizen
    Playing : Star Citizen
    FPS : Overwatch

Yt chan : https://www.youtube.com/user/raine187

• rashherorashhero Member UncommonPosts: 510

I really enjoyed the game. Even had the collectors edition. A shame it's gone.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

I miss the game as well, and I was also a Collectors Edition owner.

TR was one of the most enjoyable and unique MMO experiences I have ever had, it is truly a shame that NCSoft handled it the way they did. I personally think shutting down was a big mistake on there part.