Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did i really join this game late?

I just recently tried the trial. I can tell their struggling to get subs since they had to stop charging for a retail copy. I really find the game interesting. I know there is no end game content but i havent ever played a mmo where I have ever level capped a character. I lost interest easy. But when I do find a game thats fun, i sub and unsub rinse and repeat. Like Age of Conan. I love that game. My favorite MMO of all time.

But has the population for this game dropped THAT much that they are doing anything to get players?

Comments

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

No its not too late, i just resubbed for the 4th time after being gone for about 6 months, and the game is in much better shape than it used to be and seems to be at least stabilizing or slowly gaining new/returned players. The reason the pop is so low now i sbecaus ethere were a lot of major issues with the game at launch and for the first year it was out, and people left in masses. There has been talk from Bioware (who basically runs the game now, rather than Mythic) about possibly adding or expanding content, and theyre also going to be releasing the game in asia soon.

Ive seen lots of other people returning to the game lately too to check it out, and hopefully most of them will stick around like i plan to now. If it doesnt seem populated enough to you right ow, you may also want to make sure youre on a higher pop server. I believe Badlands is the highest average right now, which is where i also moved to.

• Konner920Konner920 Member UncommonPosts: 295

Alright ill check out badlands. I really like the game, might be one i will stick with for a while.

Cool. Btw, im on Destruction on that server, usually on my new SH named Waaaghkaiser (only level 11 right now), or ill probably be making another new toon tonight with a similar name. Usually use variations of kaiser or warkaiser on there so if you see someone like that running around in T1 Destro (usually making Order hate me in SCs like i did last night with consistent 2-3x the numbers of everyone else on either side in the SC), its me :-) Ill probably try to get on there in the next hour if i can get my work done soon. Yes i play from work too, just gotta stop procrastinating on here and get my stuff done so i can hop on the game.

LOOL. Alright I just make random names like Karato or something that sounds Japanese. I'm extremely uncreative when it comes to character naming. And i know how ya feel about Procrastinating. Lol.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

It is not to late as long as the game is running. It is too late for Mythic to make the game large but to keep it running and even increase the player numbers somewhat is possible.

The largest problem with the game have always been that they never should have used the Warhammer IP for it. It is nothing like Warhammer and the upset the fans of the IP a lot. I think it would have done better if they made their own IP or made it into DAoC 2 instead. Mythic used GWs IP but never targeted the game for GWs fans and that was a big mistake.

The endgame is something they still can fix even though they should have done it a long time ago.

The initial bugs are fixed.

For them to turn the game now, minimum is a new and better endgame, and maybe splitting the factions into 3. 

The game still holds a lot of potential however so if you like the gameplay you should play it. Constructive feedback to Mythic is also something that helps.

• gszebegszebe Member UncommonPosts: 214

Originally posted by Loke666

The largest problem with the game have always been that they never should have used the Warhammer IP for it. It is nothing like Warhammer and the upset the fans of the IP a lot. I think it would have done better if they made their own IP or made it into DAoC 2 instead. Mythic used GWs IP but never targeted the game for GWs fans and that was a big mistake.

Well, considering myself as a GW- and WHFR-fan for 20 years, maybe I have a right on my own to say that I'm absolutely NOT upset with how Mythic used the lore and the original IP. Differing oppinions are fine, but generalizations are not that fine.

• CurraCurra Member UncommonPosts: 34

The problem with WAR is not lack of "end-game-content" Its lack of players to play it!

• dandmcddandmcd Member Posts: 20

Originally posted by curra

The problem with WAR is not lack of "end-game-content" Its lack of players to play it!

Uh, yes endgame was one of many reasons people dumped this game after only a few months.  Fortresses that crashed, city battles were anticlimatic for being the be all end all RvR battle, and terrible imbalance in T4 drove away all the beta players, and turned off a lot of other people as well.  Racing around in mega zergs breaking down doors on keeps with nobody home was not my idea of good end game content.  The dungeons while decent to play through have weak boss battles compared to other PvE games, if you get d/ced you start from the beginning and the terrible drop rates make them nothing but frustrating.

There's a reason why people say T1 and T2 are the best parts of the game, it is because T4 was, and still is an untested disaster that still needs a lot of rework done to it.  of course vets and new players alike are not going to sub, the best parts of the game are 100% free for life.

I just got my subscription activated. Just downloading the rest of the client instead of the streaming thing.

Cool. Any idea about how long it will be until youre on? I got my SH into T2 last night, but also started a new zealot, so i can run that in T1 with you tonight. Should be on in hopefully an hour or 2.

Probably quite a few hours, only have 3.3 GB out of 8 GB downloaded. AT&T interwebs sucks D:

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

It is not to late as long as the game is running. It is too late for Mythic to make the game large but to keep it running and even increase the player numbers somewhat is possible.

The endgame is something they still can fix even though they should have done it a long time ago.

For them to turn the game now, minimum is a new and better endgame, and maybe splitting the factions into 3. 

The game still holds a lot of potential however so if you like the gameplay you should play it. Constructive feedback to Mythic is also something that helps.

Gotta disagree with your IP as being the biggest problem for Warhammer..

I betaed this game bought the Coll Edition played to lvl 40 rr70 , wen thtru 3 server merges made many many firiends and watched them all leave as Myhtic ruined there game further with each patch , And NEVER once from the hundereds of friends i talk to in vents thru Alliance forums War official forums and guild forums , do i recall 1 person ever saying they were leaving because they werent happy with the way Mythic handled the War IP ...They left for many reasons relative to end game , balance and  performance ..    Calling it any other name would not have stopped the millions from leaving..Delivering what they promised , and fixing the problems they had and they could of named it "Scoopin Cat Turds" and people would have stayed...

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I agree with most of what you say but the only way to save this game from continuing to live in a fading existance is for them to split the races into three factions, which they should have done in the first place. However there is no sign that they will ever do that. Too bad really because this game had some pretty innovative features.

• phc_docphc_doc Member Posts: 132

Originally posted by dandmcd

Originally posted by curra

Uh, yes endgame was one of many reasons people dumped this game after only a few months.  Fortresses that crashed, city battles were anticlimatic for being the be all end all RvR battle, and terrible imbalance in T4 drove away all the beta players, and turned off a lot of other people as well.  Racing around in mega zergs breaking down doors on keeps with nobody home was not my idea of good end game content.  The dungeons while decent to play through have weak boss battles compared to other PvE games, if you get d/ced you start from the beginning and the terrible drop rates make them nothing but frustrating.

There's a reason why people say T1 and T2 are the best parts of the game, it is because T4 was, and still is an untested disaster that still needs a lot of rework done to it.  of course vets and new players alike are not going to sub, the best parts of the game are 100% free for life.

What dan said.  I had a great time while it lasted though.  

Well, youre probably right about the 3 factions thing, i think the game would have worked out betetr and also been much more balanced rather than 1 side always dominating the other. But they have mentioned "expanding" the content and adding new stuff in. Now of course, i dont expect that to be adding a 3rd faction, at least with the current population, but its kind of a 2 sided thing.

Adding a 3rd faction would definitely bring the game back to life in a big way and make a lot of people come back to the game. But theres no way to be sure just how many people and how much money theyll bring back into the game, so im sure they also dont want to spend all the time and money to work on that. IMO the only way we would ever see a 3rd faction would be if the current and future improvements (and perhaps a change to their pricing/sub model) manage to bring back a major influx of players to the point where they say "hey, weve got pretty much everything else working great finally, and a lot more people playing, so lets work on an expansion with a 3rd faction". Guess my point is, to get high subs again, they would need to add a 3rd faction, but the only way theyre going to do that is if they already see a big increase in subs beforehand too.

The best alternative to the 3 factions that i can think of would be adopt some sort of system which allows you to switch sides, giving an oppurtunity for people to defect to the weaker side to balance it out. theres some other games out there that are 2 factions, but also allow switching/defecting, such as EQ2, as well as the "Going rogue" expansion for CoH/CoV (not too sure on all the details of how that system works, but ive seen a little bit about it). Of course that brings the issue of classes being different on each side. Well again with EQ2, when you defect from say an evil player such as a Shadow Knight, to the good side you become its mirror, the Paladin. Wouldn't a similar system work for WAR as well, switching sides also switches you to the mirror class?

Or if that wouldnt work, perhaps rather than adding in an entirely new faction, they could have a neutral faction with a mix of players from both sides, and the neutral side can assist whichever side they want. Though this wouldnt work out too well with being unable to communicate with the other factions, so they would need to also add in some form of communication between the neutrals and the current races. After all if you cant communicate how would you know who is helping which side, or taking the glory for themselves and trying to take out both factions at once. Anyway, just throwing a couple ideas out there.

alright Konner, just send me a whisper or something on there, or if im not on anymore send me a regular mail so i can grab your ingame name and add you to my friends. Ill either be on my SH Waaaghkaiser, or my Zealot Warkaiser.

• describabledescribable Member UncommonPosts: 407

Originally posted by kaiser3282

No its not too late, i just resubbed for the 4th time after being gone for about 6 months, and the game is in much better shape than it used to be and seems to be at least stabilizing or slowly gaining new/returned players. The reason the pop is so low now i sbecaus ethere were a lot of major issues with the game at launch and for the first year it was out, and people left in masses. There has been talk from Bioware (who basically runs the game now, rather than Mythic) about possibly adding or expanding content, and theyre also going to be releasing the game in asia soon.

Ive seen lots of other people returning to the game lately too to check it out, and hopefully most of them will stick around like i plan to now. If it doesnt seem populated enough to you right ow, you may also want to make sure youre on a higher pop server. I believe Badlands is the highest average right now, which is where i also moved to.

If an expansion or more content is added... this will be one of my two MMOrpg's but at the moment, i'm more on and off for now.... :S

whatever happened to the new version of the engine they use that they were further developing early 2009?

surprised they didn't think of a third faction, there's still many races in the warhammer world ... yes i love skaven (tomb kings and vampire counts wouldn't look out of place together)... and have a fully painted model of deathmaster snitch to a good standard.

a model everyone should own :-p

Tomb Kings are different from Nagash's undead, well because nagash was once part of the tomb kings kingdom, before he went all evil... it was the skaven who used one of the tomb kings during nagash's summoning to turn everything into undead that ended nagash's reign of terror in the early days... (although Nagash never stays truly dead).

"nothing actually matters, we're just slightly evolved monkeys clinging to a dying piece of rock hurtling through space waiting for our eventual death." - Frankie Boyle, Mock The Week

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Even if I would love it if they did, it is doubtful if they will ever add more races to form a third faction. A more obvious, and easy way, would be to divide the current 6 races into three factions. For example:

Chaos and Green Skins - Would use current Chaos capital

Dark Elves and Dwarfs - Would need a new capital

High Elves and Humans - Would use current Human capital

Yeah it isnt according to the lore to put Dark Elves together with the Dwarves, but so much in this game is not according to the lore so that ship has sailed a long time ago. What is needed now is to breath new life into a fading game and dividing the races into three factions would definetely do that.

Would it be balanced? Probably not. But would it be fun? Hell yeah.

• DillingerEPDillingerEP Member UncommonPosts: 366

Given Mythics track record do you guy's honestly believe that having a third faction would've helped? The game will still be in the same spot it is now, with even more job and population balance issues then it already has.

• OgrelinOgrelin Member Posts: 636

The two servers I play on are doing ok.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Talk is cheap. Devs will promise the moon and stars to keep players subbed.

It's remarkable how vague these 'I just resubbed and the game is much better' posts are. Tell me what is better. What is fixed?

Releasing in Asia says NOTHING about the quality of the game.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• gszebegszebe Member UncommonPosts: 214

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

It's remarkable how vague these 'I just resubbed and the game is much better' posts are. Tell me what is better. What is fixed?

Bashing others for their opinion never gets old, huh?

• MuridanMuridan Member Posts: 94

Originally posted by Yamota

Even if I would love it if they did, it is doubtful if they will ever add more races to form a third faction. A more obvious, and easy way, would be to divide the current 6 races into three factions. For example:

Chaos and Green Skins - Would use current Chaos capital

Dark Elves and Dwarfs - Would need a new capital

High Elves and Humans - Would use current Human capital

Yeah it isnt according to the lore to put Dark Elves together with the Dwarves, but so much in this game is not according to the lore so that ship has sailed a long time ago. What is needed now is to breath new life into a fading game and dividing the races into three factions would definetely do that.

Would it be balanced? Probably not. But would it be fun? Hell yeah.

Ummm, hell no.

Just because Blizzard made a back-alley-crack-whore out of it's lore doesn't mean that's the smartest thing to do for this game.

Adding a third faction in WAR would have to go against some lore, but what you're proposing is plain silly, thankfully Games Workshop is very protective of it's IP and has faught Mythic on several points. I can imagine they would crush the idea of a Dark Elf - Dwarf faction.

A much more simple solution would be:

Chaos/Dark Elves- Chaos Capital - emo kids rejoice!

High Elf/Human/Dwarfs - Empire Capitol - yeah, 3 races, but in the lore the Dwarfs are few in number.

Greenskins/Skaven- New Capitol - my money would be on this being the biggest faction, because WAR fanboi's love them some Skaven!

The addition of the Skaven race makes the most sense because it's something I've heard a great deal of in game talk about from players

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Aside from a third realm not being the panacea many DAoC vets think it would be, aside from the massive redesign it would require, what should be done is to make the game six factions. That's assuming that two sides doesn't work.

I still think two factions could work just fine - if the devs had any idea of how war actually works (like - you don't leave a castle you just busted your butt to capture to go get another one.)

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Well, you could actually try reading things like patch notes or other posts,  ive made several, and so have others in the past couple weeks about improvements that have happened since launch. He didnt ask for details about fixes, he asked if it was too late to stick with the game or not. But if it appeases you....

Balance issues -  While there are still a few minor issues, most of them have been fixed, and in most cases it comes down to more of an issue with players simply not knowing their own classes, let alone their enemies. Rathe rthan understanding mechanics of different classes and their roles, people keep doing the same thing over and over no matte rhow many time sthey lose, and rather than learning to play right proceed with whining that X class is OP because it beats me every time. While i dont agree with all the changes they made (such as a global AOE nerf, rather than nerfing/buffing specific classes on an individual basis), theyre at least better than what they were. An example of a major issue that was fixed: Shadow Warriers had no 1 second cast Eagle Eye to match the Squig Herder 1 second Plink, they have added this to SWs now and brought them into much more equal footing with SHs. Sure SHs are still better overall than SWs IMO (at least in most situations, though SWs do have their area sthey shine in), but theres nowhere near the glaring imbalance that was there a year ago. Theyve also fixed most (if not all) of the broken skills from launch.

Scenarios - they have changed the mechanics of several scenarios (things such as the method of scoring, the amount of points, positions of guards, etc). Theyve also added a debuff for quitting SCs to prevent scenarios hopping, "streamlined" scenarios (changed which scenarios are available in different tiers and made others available for special weekend events), added the emblem reqrds system for scenarios to gain new weapons (similar to the medallions from pvp).

RvR - whole bunch of things changed here, to mention a few: Addition of influence & reward system for each tier & pairing, improvements to keeps (players must rebuild doors themselves, not auto respawn doors; added a 2nd ramp into the keep to help prevent chokepoints, improved the loot drops & rewards). Theyeve also added improved functionality for tracking what is going on in RvR with your map as well as alerts for where there is fighting, and what BOs/Keeps have been recently taken. They will also be changing city sieges to 100% pvp, rather than pve in either the next patch or 2 patches from now, i forget which right now, but its currently being tested.

PQs - have been changed to have different difficulties requiring different numbers of people ranging from 2-3 players to nearly a full WB. Theyev also improve dthe way loot bags are given, causing the # of bags to scale better with the # of player sin the PQ, as well as betetr lot bags for more people. These changes allow you to complete at least one PQ to gain influence and loot bags in each zone even when there arent a bunch of people around to do them with.

Performance issues - smoother running engine, less lag and fps slowdown with large numbers of players around. Mail system works properly (some of you may remember taking several minutes for mail to open on some servers, if it ever opened at all). Some slight tweaks to pet AI & control (pets still arent perfect, but theyve improved).

And whoever said asia has anything to do with quality? Simple fact is, it is releasing there, which means they will be bringing in more money, and will not be letting the game die out very soon like all the haters claim. Why would they put the effort in to release in asia, only to shut the game down a couple months later? Increased profit = willingness to put more time & money into further improving the game & adding content, now that its in a pretty good state.

As for the overall population of the game. Who cares? youre on your server with X number of people. Does it really matter if there are only 3 servers or 30? To me it doesnt, so long as theres enough people on my particular server to keep me entertained. In WoW, does it matter if theres millions of people playing on other servers, when you have no interaction with them anyway? (im talking pre-cross realm stuff, i understand theres crossing now, but it wasnt always there, so other servers didnt matter, just the pop on your own). The servers that are there are pretty well populated, especially badlands, and until all of those die out, i dont care how many there are. Also, they did consolidate some of the servers simply because there were several that just didnt (and never did) have a very high population, so bringing them all together was a good thing. Other games could use some server consolidation too, after all MMOs arent as much funw ithout other people on your server.