Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best solo class?

OyjordOyjord Member UncommonPosts: 568

Hi all,

I'm not anti-social, I just don't have a lot of time to play right now.  I've been gone since the 2001 debacle, so I know a lot has changed.

Can someone suggest a good solo class for the new froob?

Thanks!

Comments

• MaitraderMaitrader Member UncommonPosts: 389

Greetings!!

A good beginner soloing class will be your Adventurer.

An intermediate level soloing class will be your Doctor.

A hard but rewarding soloing class will be your Metaphysicist.

Hope this is some help ;) btw we are a very casual organization and would love to help you when you do log in ;) should apply to join!! www.tribulations.org

• HellCasterHellCaster Member UncommonPosts: 234
    Originally posted by Oyjord

Hi all,

I'm not anti-social, I just don't have a lot of time to play right now.  I've been gone since the 2001 debacle, so I know a lot has changed.

Can someone suggest a good solo class for the new froob?

Thanks!

If your starting over with little or no funding I would say go Martial Artist. Their fist damage scales with skill so there are no weapons that you need to buy. This allows you to mostly focus your income on implants and other gear. Since Rubi-Ka mobs are typically low AC mobs the MA can easy dish out great damage (fist have a low min damage that really sticks out when fighting high AC mobs in SL).

Adventures are great but are very weapon dependent to either pistols or 1hand edged weapons to do any damage. So there is a greater requirement in the way of credits and availability to keep weapons up to date. This can be a source of frustration especially if you're a froob since you can't look up weapons on the GMS.

Stay away from Doc. Period. I have one and they level slower then frozen snot. At high levels they are very tough and can live through incredible damage (esp Doc with the SL expansion) but getting a doc to do decent, much less good, DPS is very, very hard. A doc, especially a froob one, is very group dependent for leveling but that's what it was designed for. If you really want to go Doc, there are quiet a few treads in the official doc forum on different builds many of them on Doc MA's.

Pet classes are great for solo'rs since you can implant to get "Red" con pets. But then you hit the cap somewhere between 120's and 150's when you're able to use the highest pet(s) available and there is no where to go since you're on your last pet. At that point you would focus on building up your toon to make up the difference in damage, buffs and trimmers (engi only) to squeeze out that last bit of damage. "Red"-con pets are great for sending into a room of mobs while you stand outside waiting to loot.

I hope this helps.

Playing: varies every day it seems.

• OyjordOyjord Member UncommonPosts: 568

Thanks for the tips!

I'm a bit overwhelmed after coming back from such a long absence, so I think the MA might be a good idea, heh.  The less I have to worry about, the better.  :)

• xephonicsxephonics Member UncommonPosts: 672

Keeper is not that bad either.

Best in my opinion would have to be advy though.  High dps, heals, and several perk trees that increase evades (dance of fool, limber), and the absorb shield (bio cocoon).  They are definitely jacks of all trades.

My god has horns.... nah, I don't think he is real either.

Originally posted by xephonics

Keeper is not that bad either.

Best in my opinion would have to be advy though.  High dps, heals, and several perk trees that increase evades (dance of fool, limber), and the absorb shield (bio cocoon).  They are definitely jacks of all trades.

Yeah he could roll a Keeper if he wasn't on a froob account. All the points about perks wouldn't apply either unless he converted. MA's are awesome DPS as a froob account or full paid one.

Edit:

Here is a link to a guide on the official forums for MA's.

• kaitiakikaitiaki Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Originally posted by HellCaster

Stay away from Doc
    . Period. I have one and they level slower then frozen snot. At high levels they are very tough and can live through incredible damage (esp Doc with the SL expansion) but getting a doc to do decent, much less good, DPS is very, very hard. A doc, especially a froob one, is very group dependent for leveling but that's what it was designed for. If you really want to go Doc, there are quiet a few treads in the official doc forum on different builds many of them on Doc MA's.

While I agree with docs not being an easy beginner's solo profession, I'm going to have to disagree with some other bits here. These days, especially end-game, even a pistol doc can do superb damage. I have a 220 doc myself, and unless she's constantly healing, she can keep up with the other dd profs in teams. 3 dots + dmg perks + dmg items makes for a not so bad dd dealing doc ;)

As for best froob solo professions...

probably advy. They have high DPS, amazing evades, and they can heal. They always have been, and probably always will be the FC luvchild of AO. And unlike most professions, it doesn't matter whether you're ranged or melee, you can easily have great dmg setups for both.

Aside from that, I'd say MA is always a good beginning toon. They can dish out some awesome damage, and they have some pretty good evades as well. Their heals aren't that great, but you make up for it with the ultra evades. Also, not having to buy weapons is always nice.

Originally posted by kaitiaki

Originally posted by HellCaster

Stay away from Doc
    . Period. I have one and they level slower then frozen snot. At high levels they are very tough and can live through incredible damage (esp Doc with the SL expansion) but getting a doc to do decent, much less good, DPS is very, very hard. A doc, especially a froob one, is very group dependent for leveling but that's what it was designed for. If you really want to go Doc, there are quiet a few treads in the official doc forum on different builds many of them on Doc MA's.

While I agree with docs not being an easy beginner's solo profession, I'm going to have to disagree with some other bits here. These days, especially end-game, even a pistol doc can do superb damage. I have a 220 doc myself, and unless she's constantly healing, she can keep up with the other dd profs in teams. 3 dots + dmg perks + dmg items makes for a not so bad dd dealing doc ;)

I hear you and don't disagree but the focus was more on froob doc's, yours isn't a froob. Leveling a froob doc solo would be a nightmare IMO. No perks, no research, no symbs, crap selection for weapons and froob endgame wouldn't be even a shadow of that of a full account.

• inBOILinBOIL Member Posts: 669

Martial Artist

but if you gonna buy the game somewhere in the future,then maybe doc

Generation P

• OyjordOyjord Member UncommonPosts: 568

I'm the OP, just an update:

My MA is level 14 now on RK1, and I'm having a blast!  He's supah easy to solo, yet fun.  I seem to be only using two attacks every fight (Brawl and my MA attack, Jade something I think), with a Dimach thrown in when things get bad).  I assume I'll get more attack options later?  Maybe some nano attacks?  Regardless, it's fun, thanks for the tips.

Someone mentioned ClickSaver, too.  Thanks!  It's a great addon.  Not to 'jack my own thread, but are there any other must-have addons?

Cheers,

Oy.

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849

I loved my froob MA.  The only downside i found when lvling to 80ish was the fact the last armor I wore was a shiny green armor and a twinked on pink dress...and he was male -  nuff said, just imagine it.

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Suggested reading: www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/913777/46197

Most recent Clicksaver: arpa3.net/ao/clicksaver.html

Nano Nanny, an implant planner, is also on that clicksaver site.

And replacing the in-game map is suggested. These are popular.  aomaps.com//phpnuke/html/index.php

If you want to change the user interface a little search for Notum Dark GUI.

None of these are supported by FunCom but they aren't frowned upon either.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366

When I played my Engineer could take about anything solo and when he couldn't I could get away while he beat on it.  I only made it to about 75 however.

Gratz on getting to level 14 ;) and good to hear you're enjoying your MA. They really do make for awesome solo toons.

I'm not sure what add-ons may be of help, but there loads of websites out there that could provide to be useful:

• www.auno.org - auno is your friend. not only is there a section with all of your professions nanos (with user comments, and more detailed information about each nano), there's an implant builder on the site, and a huge item database in which you can look items based on if they give you brawl or martial arts, or by name, or whatever other stats.
    • forums.anarchy-online.com/forumdisplay.php - the official Martial Artist professionals forum on the AO forums. They have roots threads with guides and other useful information.
    • www.aofroobs.com - just like the site says, it's for froobs. mostly a forum, but with useful information.
    • arpa3.net/anarchy-online/ - Kimi's AO Resources - whether your looking to buy an item or check if that crit nano is rollable, this site has that kinda information.
    • www.ao-universe.com - probably the site i use most, well, this and auno - quest guides galore, plus lots of other handy bits, links, scripters, etc

Hopefully some of that helps, and hope you keep enjoying the game!

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

I couldn`t agree more about the MA, they are amazing solo characters.

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849

One thing I love about older games.. they are so well documented. Makes the evil min-maxer side of me squeal  with joy. :P

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• BrezjnevBrezjnev Member UncommonPosts: 98

For more MA special attacks, check the 7th post in the following thread: forums.anarchy-online.com/showthread.php

A guide to the Temple Of the Three winds (TOTW) that is mentioned in there: www.ao-universe.com/main.php At the end there is a paragraph about the MA attacks. At level 14 you are still a bit too low for that dungeon, you can probably start exploring the first few rooms on your own at level 20 and up.

The following is a comprehensible list of all MA nanos: auno.org/ao/nanos.php. Only a few higher level nanos are missing from it.

Besides clicksaver, the only other add-on that pretty much everyone uses is the maps that grunty linked.

• PolishbatPolishbat Member Posts: 15

I came back as well only with an ADVY.  Good thing you went with a MA, they are a good class to start with due to the fact that you wont be spending money for weaps.  I'd say try out an ADVY, but watch out, keeping in imps and getting/finding weapons that will deal a crud load of damage can be a daunting task.  Before i really grasped the twinking aspect i was severely nerfed, i got into an org, they taught me a few things which revitalized my interests, with their help i came out of being nerfed and into kicking MAJOR ass. 

One thing i've seen that no one really tells new comers (keep this in mind) is the time and knowledge it takes to get your character into higher level implants/weapons.  It seems without good imps, and available buffs to max your stats, you wont be able to equip weaps that are worth anything.  Case in point, i was level 100 doing 200dmg, getting smashed by green level mobs and barely surviving.  The only reason i even made it to 100 was with the help of groups that actually had good characters that could kill something, so in essence, i leeched off them all the way.  I had all but thrown my ADVY out, and like i said, with the help of my org i came back with new imps/weaps doing about 2000dmg per hit.  Anyway, just keep that in mind when you make a class that uses weapons.

• MrlogicMrlogic Member Posts: 178

Im thinking of coming back to AO again, just wondering if theres any org I could join. I simply ask with regards to the OP's question and I think I would need some help since ive been out of the loop for such a long time and it would be nice with the social aspect of it :) *cheers*