Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

why mmo if all you seek is solo gameplay?

12346»

Comments

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Sometimes I like to group, sometimes I like to play solo. What I do like is the freedom to play either way without some self important little turd telling me how I should play a game i'm paying for.

• NekrataalNekrataal Member Posts: 557
    Originally posted by Deivos

Well, you see, the problem with playing solo games is that many of them you play through with level appropriate challenging content that will force the player to actually use a modicum of skill. Most people don't like that.

So they play an MMO or other such game, where they can outstrip their opposition and feel like gods as they farm their way through the weaker hordes! Same principle behind playing PvP in an MMO rather than a good shooter or action combat game. They prefer it when they can feel like they're skilled by sizing up numbers rather than actual ability.

the other aspect is story line, or plot. They don't want 'prose' and 'depth' getting in the way of their attempt of genocide upon the NPC, MOB, and player populations. They don't want to spend time cogitating over an intriguing story when they can instead be finding something squishy to obliterate.

Dey wants dem game like how dey wants dem dinner. Easy, accessible, and incapable of offering challenge or intrigue.

Couldn't be more spot on! Well said sir. :)

• KyrozKyroz Member Posts: 68
    Originally posted by Nekrataal

Originally posted by Kyroz

I don't have to justify my play style to you or any other player for that matter.

No, you don't have to, but you do have to GTFO though... nah, i'm kidding... or am I?! lol :P

Luckily for soloers like me, developers are more than willing to cater to us to some degree.  So, in the end, that makes us a significant component of the MMO market and worthy of attention by game makers and no matter how much you people whine and complain, it won't change that fact.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    Originally posted by Toquio3

Awwww, thats so cute. Another person who doesnt understand this. Some people just refuse to live and let live.

And you don't seem to understand that some of us want group content from level 1 onward.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

May as well ask why some people buy a PvE-centric MMO and spend their whole time whining about the lack of PvP or a PvP-centric MMO and complain how shallow the PvE is.Or buy a "theme Park" MMO and complain how it's not  a sandbox etc.People,especially people with anonymity,will do and say anything.At least a percentage of people will.Learn to live with it or don't play games with other people.

I don't have to justify my play style to you or any other player for that matter.

No, you don't have to, but you do have to GTFO though... nah, i'm kidding... or am I?! lol :P

Luckily for soloers like me, developers are more than willing to cater to us to some degree.  So, in the end, that makes us a significant component of the MMO market and worthy of attention by game makers and no matter how much you people whine and complain, it won't change that fact.

Ya, luckily for us greed is what drives everything now a day instead of ethic... So no matter that MMO's aren't even MMO's anymore, you win I lose right?

What you don't realize is that nobody wins in the end with where we are heading( or already at) in todays game market.

• HinchaHincha Member Posts: 38

Ya, luckily for us greed is what drives everything now a day instead of ethic... So no matter that MMO's aren't even MMO's anymore, you win I lose right?

What you don't realize is that nobody wins in the end with where we are heading( or already at) in todays game market.

Why aren't MMO's MMO's aymore? I stll group when I want to, i still buy/sell stuff from the AH? I like having a laugh with people who play the same game (even though I'm not always in a group with them). An MMO has a factor of not being alone in the world, even if you are playing solo. If that will cost me €15, so be it

Originally posted by Hincha

Why aren't MMO's MMO's aymore? I stll group when I want to, i still buy/sell stuff from the AH? I like having a laugh with people who play the same game (even though I'm not always in a group with them). An MMO has a factor of not being alone in the world, even if you are playing solo. If that will cost me €15, so be it

A picture is worth a thousand words they say, but I suck at it so meh.. this is where I stop with this topic. Anyways, pictures don't really help with the blinds.

/peace out

• maimeekraimaimeekrai Member UncommonPosts: 256

Originally posted by Hincha

A picture is worth a thousand words they say, but I suck at it so meh.. this is where I stop with this topic. Anyways, pictures don't really help with the blinds.

/peace out

Pictures don't help with the "sighted" either, if they refuse to look at them or only look at the ones they deem worthy....

------- END TRANSMISSION

• KyrozKyroz Member Posts: 68

More hardcores playing the drama card, pictures, blinders......blah......blah.......blah......neeener........neeener..........neeener and so forth.

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

Its very narrow minded to think the only reason to play an MMO is to do everything in a group. I am sure everyone before me covered the reasons why this is narrow minded so i wont bother.

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

This debate was a lot hotter before the Looking for Dungeon system introduced in World of Warcraft. Thankfully, in that game, there is no longer a large distinction between solo and group players. You can do either one any time you like, pretty much. Now that you can get a group any time you want, there is one less excuse not to group. I know there are others, but that was a big one and has been pretty much eliminated in WoW at least.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• DarthconnorDarthconnor Member UncommonPosts: 62

A game that never stands still has no end and evolves with the times i guess. Plus i can when i feel like it jump in a group and chat or fight with other players. Just cause you like to solo doesnt mean you never group, just means when you think you can do something on your own your gonna. To many  soloers are some kind of insane person fresh out of a mental ward. Mostly i like MMO's cause even if i complete and do everything it has to offer theres always a chance that later they will add more content i can play. Not to many other games types change or add more to the game.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by Axehilt

Originally posted by Cephus404

Originally posted by Axehilt

Why do you play an MMO?
    Your answer will include a combination of features, at least some of which are MMO-specific.  Which was the point of my previous post.  Even if the majority of things you're after in a game are solo gameplay, if you're playing an MMO it's because there was something specific to MMOs that you also wanted from a game.

Because there is more content in an MMO than there is in any single-player game under the sun, it takes months or years to explore an MMO, as opposed to a week or two for a single-player game.

Has zero to do with people, grouping, etc.

Fair enough.

Just curious: do you play single-player games and then use MMOs to "fill in the gaps" while you wait for the next singleplayer game?

Sometimes, sure. In fact, after I got tired of MMOs last summer and dropped my subs, I went through and played (or re-played) a good dozen or so single-player games. Now I'm out of single-player games to play so I'm waiting for either a decent MMO or a new decent single-player game to come out.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Palebane

This debate was a lot hotter before the Looking for Dungeon system introduced in World of Warcraft. Thankfully, in that game, there is no longer a large distinction between solo and group players. You can do either one any time you like, pretty much. Now that you can get a group any time you want, there is one less excuse not to group. I know there are others, but that was a big one and has been pretty much eliminated in WoW at least.

And this is exactly how games should be designed. Soloers can still level by quests and now doing dungeons with others is a viable way.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Why is it a case of it being an excuse?  You can solo to 80 in WoW easy enough if you like, why does it make you a bad person to do so - where you have to offer excuses?  Besides, there have been more complaints about the LFD than kudos - people hate PUGs and the dumbing down of the instances so PUGs can run them so easily.  You can have a sandwich in one hand, the remote in the other, while watching TV and  tapping your keyboard with your big toe...

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by VirusDancer

Why is it a case of it being an excuse?  You can solo to 80 in WoW easy enough if you like, why does it make you a bad person to do so - where you have to offer excuses?  Besides, there have been more complaints about the LFD than kudos - people hate PUGs and the dumbing down of the instances so PUGs can run them so easily.  You can have a sandwich in one hand, the remote in the other, while watching TV and  tapping your keyboard with your big toe...

I don't know where you are getting your info but LFD is a huge success. Everyone is using it and blizzard is expanding its use to BG and may even to raids.

You may not like it .. but a majority of wow players do.

Originally posted by nariusseldon I don't know where you are getting your info but LFD is a huge success. Everyone is using it and blizzard is expanding its use to BG and may even to raids.

You may not like it .. but a majority of wow players do.

I don't know where you are getting your info but LFD is a huge failure. Everyone is hating it and in typical fashion, Blizzard is expanding its use to BG and maybe even to raids.

You may like it .. but a majority of wow players do not.

Yes, I found it interesting that you offered your opinion without any sources.  Google "Looking for Dungeon" and read all the complaints about PUGs.

I suppose if I clicked down enough pages, I might find the people that like it.

As many people state though, if you do not like PUGs - you do not have to use it.  If you qualify the success of it making it easier to get PUGs, nobody would really argue against that - would they?  So I suppose people that have suffered through countless bad PUGs simply do not see the point of it.

Maybe it is a case of it being judged a success in your eyes because it is no longer a case of being able to get to level 80 before finding that group for Maraudon, eh?

They part to the post that I replied to was the question of why does somebody need an excuse to solo play a game that is so easy to solo play?  It brings up the question outside of the endgame instances, what is the excuse for not being able to play the rest of the game solo?

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

This is the type of arrogance that basically forces players like myself to stand up and ask WTF?  What in the world could possibly be unethical about designing games with the largest population in mind?  Wanting to reach the largest possible audience not only denotes greed but also unethical behavior?  Because the market at large is not catering to your personal gaming needs they are unethical (and yes we know that you can name some unethical practices but that's not what you did with this post).

And again the arrogance is just so blatant, mmo's aren't mmo's anymore? Let's be real here you mean what you personally think makes a game an mmo right?  Sorry but that ain't the same thing, a cast majority of mmo's on the market now still do fit the literal definition of not only MMO but MMORPG.

What you don't realize is that there is no fight to win in the end atleast not for a solo centric player there isn't.  I have for years heard the biggest bashes possible about LOTRO and it's solo/non pvp design and guess what none of that criticism hurt me or effected my experience in game in any way so I don't agree that "nobody wins in the end".  Especially when considered your fight is not my fight.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

Originally posted by jaxsundane

This is the type of arrogance that basically forces players like myself to stand up and ask WTF?  What in the world could possibly be unethical about designing games with the largest population in mind?  Wanting to reach the largest possible audience not only denotes greed but also unethical behavior?  Because the market at large is not catering to your personal gaming needs they are unethical (and yes we know that you can name some unethical practices but that's not what you did with this post).

And again the arrogance is just so blatant, mmo's aren't mmo's anymore? Let's be real here you mean what you personally think makes a game an mmo right?  Sorry but that ain't the same thing, a cast majority of mmo's on the market now still do fit the literal definition of not only MMO but MMORPG.

What you don't realize is that there is no fight to win in the end atleast not for a solo centric player there isn't.  I have for years heard the biggest bashes possible about LOTRO and it's solo/non pvp design and guess what none of that criticism hurt me or effected my experience in game in any way so I don't agree that "nobody wins in the end".  Especially when considered your fight is not my fight.

It does come down to whether the game offers the person what they want or not.  If the game does not, then they should not play it.  If it does, then that is great for them.  I agree with the arrogance of many posts on here, where people state it is their way only - anything else is just garbage.  Some people like solo play, some people like group play, some people like a little of both.  That being said, would it not be in the best interest of game developers to create games where you can follow those three paths - solo to the end, grouping to the end, or some of both to the end?

The part that I find funny is when people that only want to play solo complain that they cannot do something solo.  Deal with it.

The part that I find funny is when people that only want to group cannot find a group and complain.  Deal with it.

The game is not built for you.  It is built for everybody.  That means there may be content you cannot solo and that means you may not be able to find a group to do what you want.  In both cases, you can check back later - either leveling up so you can do it solo or finding a group at another time.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by jaxsundane

That's a very profound statment.

In the threads I've been looking into for today, between the whole "instance/not instance - death penalty/death penalty - solo/non-solo" it's important to remember that if someone cries "foul" or the "end of the world" not everyone will see it as such.

It's like the people who make posts such as "omg, they just released game A and it sucks! How the hell is game B going to have a chance?" And other people are looking at each other saying "what are you talking about, I liked game A?"

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo