Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Looking for an old-school large game? Look at Vanguard!

olepiolepi Austin, TXPosts: 1,151Member Uncommon

Are you looking for an old-school, large world, complex MMORPG? Take a look at Vanguiard!

I didn't play during the early phases of Vanguard, and have heard the launch was bad. But I can say that today, Vanguard is a great game:

- large, open, beautiful world. Vanguard is large, huge even, with lots of towns, cities, and even large cities. Lots of variety, mountains, swamps, forests, caves, underwater, flying, etc.

- lots of content, lots. There are newbie zones for each race, with different quests to level up on.  For every level you are at, there are at least two whole ways to level up, and usually more. You could play several characters and never repeat the content. Many classes and races.

- best pet class of any game. Vanguard has superior pets; these pets have complex commands, excellent pathing and AI, and usually their own powers. I was looking at my Bird pet last night, he has 10 commands! Pets don't get stuck on stuff, they don't run away, they don't go crazy.

- excellent harvesting and crafting is part of Vanguard.

- good community, and since it is fairly small, there are NO GOLD SPAMMERS!

- house, boat, and guild-house construction is full featured.

In short, I was looking for another DAOC, an old-style large world game, and I found it in Vanguard.

Give Vanguard a try on the free trial island!

------------
RIP City of Heroes. One of my favorite MMO's.

Comments

• zeowyrmzeowyrm Bangor, MEPosts: 746Member

It is a great game.  But I'd rather play a mediocre game with a good population then a great game that's the equivalent of a ghost town.

• astrob0yastrob0y stockholmPosts: 702Member

one of the better games. to bad the instances is badly hidden.

I7@4ghz, 5970@ 1 ghz/5ghz, water cooled||Former setups Byggblogg||Byggblogg 2|| Msi Wind u100

• KordeshKordesh P, NJPosts: 1,715Member

Honestly, if SoE had actually given Vanguard a proper chance, it might have been good. As it stands though, everything about it is moot, as they are dead set on killing the game with development cutbacks and generally ignoring it entirely. 

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

• ExstazExstaz NPosts: 20Member

It really had potential but as always with SOE they rush things and dont care about the drawbacks you get when rushing a game to launch. thats what happen to vanguard and it took em several years to fix the problems.

Now you have no player base and to start and play a 3 year almost dead game is just stupid.

• olepiolepi Austin, TXPosts: 1,151Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Exstaz

It really had potential but as always with SOE they rush things and dont care about the drawbacks you get when rushing a game to launch. thats what happen to vanguard and it took em several years to fix the problems.
    Now you have no player base and to start and play a 3 year almost dead game is just stupid.

Actually, I don't think I am stupid.

Vanguard today is very playable and fun. I am in a large guild, and there is always something to do. We have raids, crafting sprees, help the newbie days, etc. I've also been having a lot of fun with pick-up groups. I advertised that I was available and got picked up in minutes. Had a blast!

Vanguard's staff is down to just fixing bugs, and releasing smaller group content, so the game is getting even more stable as time goes on.

I've been able to sell a lot of the stuff I make on the market, we've had to compete with other groups to get to certain bosses, and I've been invited regularly to PUG's. The game seems alive to me, and fun! And that is why I play a game, to have fun!

------------

• zeowyrmzeowyrm Bangor, MEPosts: 746Member
    Originally posted by olepi

Vanguard today is very playable and fun. I am in a large guild, and there is always something to do. We have raids, crafting sprees, help the newbie days, etc. I've also been having a lot of fun with pick-up groups. I advertised that I was available and got picked up in minutes. Had a blast!

Vanguard's staff is down to just fixing bugs, and releasing smaller group content, so the game is getting even more stable as time goes on.

I've been able to sell a lot of the stuff I make on the market, we've had to compete with other groups to get to certain bosses, and I've been invited regularly to PUG's. The game seems alive to me, and fun! And that is why I play a game, to have fun!

That's kind of my issue there, the part I highlighted.  I'm sure the game is fine, if I take the time to find a guild and so on.  But they've cut the staff down, and more or less canceled any major updates to the game.  There really isn't  way to spin that where it doesn't sound like "Yeah, there are only  handful of devs, and they are only polishing the game" 

Honestly, if there were some sort of guarantee that the game would be around for a year or two longer, I'd consider it.  But it truly sounds like the game is just being left as is, and that's a shame.

• ryuga81ryuga81 AnconaPosts: 351Member

When i first heard the name "Vanguard", huge tanks and armored warfare came into my mind... pity it's yet another fantasy game with elves :/

• BrixonBrixon Myrtle Beach, SCPosts: 259Member

Poor launch, poor population, and SOE intentional miss management will forever keep this game down. While the game has improved, your just never going to get the subs to make it a great game. That's the way SOE wants it anyway. They only bought this game (they did not develop it) to keep it down so it wouldn't cut into it's EQ 1-2  subs.

• ExstazExstaz NPosts: 20Member

So what you are saying is that as a new player you cant expect new content for another year or so atleast cause the dev team are still fixing major bugs of a already 3 year old game? WOW very good selling point mate.

I did the trial and i liked it but under the trial i encounterd enough bugs to not want to play. After 3 years you would think that they fixed the major stuff but no. They have the same problem with vanguard as with SWG, they dont have the original dev team anymore. No one of the current devs have bin around sense start and know the code well. Meaning that they have problems adding and fixing stuff. It have taken the SWG dev team 4 years to preatty much understand the code and not fuck everything up when they add stuff.

The concept of the game is great BUT starting to play a 3 year old game that still have major issues and a small dev team that dont have time to work on adding REAL content and just work on bug fixing is stupid if you ask me. It should have had 2 major expansions by now but i see non? Thats not great selling point for a game. No MMORPG can last 3 years with no extra content.

What I am saying is that Vanguard has a ton of content, far more than many games. Enough content to level 2 characters to 50 without duplicating anything probably. For every level, say 25, or 35, there are multiple dungeons, multiple quest lines, etc. It does not need additional content.

Actually, the dev's have released new content recently, Magi Hold, and lots of the over 50 level crowd is doing that now.

I see it as a good thing that the game already has tons of content, and we do not depend on them adding new, probably buggy and untested stuff, to keep ahead of the player base.

If you are looking for an old-school large open world MMORPG, then Vanguard is a great game!

------------

• EverSkellyEverSkelly AlytusPosts: 334Member

Vanguard is quite high quality.

The bugs are just like in all games, didn't see anything that would make it not fun / not playable.

In my eyes,

Pros:

Large and beautiful world. Most interesting skills / spells of all MMOs, the finishers (big hitters) that open up after scoring a critical hit and so on. Interesting, complex crafting. Although it can also be a drawback to some people, who are used to WoW style of crafting.

Cons:

The population is too low. Character and some other animations are somewhat ugly and old.

Someone was saying they don't want to play, because soe doesn't put enough developing power into a game...  You know, look at it this way - You can play for a year, have a good time and not worry about such things. Or you can play another game, which you think is funded well and "have a future", but it's a shit game. Depends what you want from the game - do you want to have fun with it or do you want to marry it.

And SOEs advertising politics is still a mystery to me - seems like they want to hide their games from the public.

• LotosSlayerLotosSlayer Toronto, ONPosts: 247Member

Vanguard old school? It's just another WoW clone. You do simple solo quests over and over again without much challenge. Although, if Vanguard had a bigger population and a better end-game then it'd probably be the best WoW clone and even better than WoW. The crafting is fun, the quests are much better done than any other WoW clones(quests for leveling still suck though -.-), and it's more challenging. Still, WoW and it's clones aren't even half as good as old school MMos are.

Originally posted by LotosSlayer

Vanguard old school? It's just another WoW clone. You do simple solo quests over and over again without much challenge. Although, if Vanguard had a bigger population and a better end-game then it'd probably be the best WoW clone and even better than WoW. The crafting is fun, the quests are much better done than any other WoW clones(quests for leveling still suck though -.-), and it's more challenging. Still, WoW and it's clones aren't even half as good as old school MMos are.

I'd call it an EQ clone before a WoW clone

I'm not sure what you mean by doing solo quests over and over with no challenge. I'm trying to get the armor from VT, and no solo character could even get in the door. It took three of us to get halfway in, and then we got killed. I was on a team of 4, and we managed to do part of that quest. Solo? Hah! :)

True, there are a lot of solo quests, and the game can be very solo friendly. However, to get any of the better weapons and armor, whether at lvl 15, 25, 35, etc, will require a good group.

I didn't like WoW, my favorite was DAOC. Vanguard is giving me that same old good feeling of a large world, lots to do and see, and complex play and classes.

------------

• NovaKayneNovaKayne Houston, TXPosts: 743Member

Seriously?  WoW clone?

While I agree it has more than its fair share of bugs and problems and issues and the quests can be boring.  Your comparison of it to WoW is ludacris.

The rest of your assessment has merit but, if you want to be taken seriously.... stop with the WoW clone comments.  If it WERE a WoW clone it would probably have done better.

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.

• LotosSlayerLotosSlayer Toronto, ONPosts: 247Member

I'd call it an EQ clone before a WoW clone

I'm not sure what you mean by doing solo quests over and over with no challenge. I'm trying to get the armor from VT, and no solo character could even get in the door. It took three of us to get halfway in, and then we got killed. I was on a team of 4, and we managed to do part of that quest. Solo? Hah! :)

True, there are a lot of solo quests, and the game can be very solo friendly. However, to get any of the better weapons and armor, whether at lvl 15, 25, 35, etc, will require a good group.

I didn't like WoW, my favorite was DAOC. Vanguard is giving me that same old good feeling of a large world, lots to do and see, and complex play and classes.

In EQ you got into groups and killed challenging mobs for exp. You didn't do quests for leveling. You can call it grinding or whatever but it was way funner. In WoW, Vanguard, etc you do quest after quest and they're soloable, so people just don't group, and you can't really have grouping with quests because everyone will be on different quests. Vanguard follows the WoW leveling formula, among other things, so it's a WoW clone. The occasional group quest every 5 levels or whatever can hardly be called grouping. Also, there's not much of a need to get good armor/weapons in VG, unlike in a game like Anarchy Online where you absolutely need good and up to date equipment to progress.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Posts: 7,834Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by EverSkelly

The bugs are just like in all games, didn't see anything that would make it not fun / not playable.
    In my eyes,
    Pros:
    Large and beautiful world. Most interesting skills / spells of all MMOs, the finishers (big hitters) that open up after scoring a critical hit and so on. Interesting, complex crafting. Although it can also be a drawback to some people, who are used to WoW style of crafting.
    Cons:
    The population is too low. Character and some other animations are somewhat ugly and old.
    Someone was saying they don't want to play, because soe doesn't put enough developing power into a game...  You know, look at it this way - You can play for a year, have a good time and not worry about such things. Or you can play another game, which you think is funded well and "have a future", but it's a shit game. Depends what you want from the game - do you want to have fun with it or do you want to marry it.
    And SOEs advertising politics is still a mystery to me - seems like they want to hide their games from the public.

Then why not list one of the cons as "this game has little to no future and the amount content is not very likely to grow" or something similar.  

Then at least threads like this would be honest and up front about the problems of the game instead of spit polishing the highlights that have almost all existed since the game released and pretty much ignoring the lack of development that has followed that up.

I really doubt that most people looking for an old school mmo are looking for something that has already reached its content limit and players will effectively hit a point in the game where the credits might as well start scrolling.

Originally posted by Daffid011

In my eyes,
    Pros:
    Cons:

Then why not list one of the cons as "this game has little to no future and the amount content is not very likely to grow" or something similar.  

Then at least threads like this would be honest and up front about the problems of the game instead of spit polishing the highlights that have almost all existed since the game released and pretty much ignoring the lack of development that has followed that up.

I really doubt that most people looking for an old school mmo are looking for something that has already reached its content limit and players will effectively hit a point in the game where the credits might as well start scrolling.

This is part of why I posted this, the comparison of a mature, full featured game with little growth, to an incomplete game with good growth potential. It was prompted by my recent experience with STO and MO, and also PoTBS. I did play PoTBS up to 50, as a Freetrader, but that game was incomplete.

STO and MO both rely on people imagining what it could be, and that by itself provides a certain fun factor. LoTRO released without the full content too; we knew the story was coming.

So why would people prefer to play an incomplete game, with hope for the future, instead of a complete game?

Vanguard has reached it's "content limit" (actually not, they just released Magi Hold), but it already has a ton of content.  Why is that bad?

edit: speaking of old school, Steam has a special on EQ, with 15 expansions and 30 days time: $2.50.

------------

• Dagga07Dagga07 Tampa, FLPosts: 16Member

Originally posted by Daffid011

In my eyes,
    Pros:
    Cons:

This is part of why I posted this, the comparison of a mature, full featured game with little growth, to an incomplete game with good growth potential. It was prompted by my recent experience with STO and MO, and also PoTBS. I did play PoTBS up to 50, as a Freetrader, but that game was incomplete.

STO and MO both rely on people imagining what it could be, and that by itself provides a certain fun factor. LoTRO released without the full content too; we knew the story was coming.

So why would people prefer to play an incomplete game, with hope for the future, instead of a complete game?

Vanguard has reached it's "content limit" (actually not, they just released Magi Hold), but it already has a ton of content.  Why is that bad?

edit: speaking of old school, Steam has a special on EQ, with 15 expansions and 30 days time: $2.50.

Don't know if you realize, but MMOs are never "complete games". New content is always being added to MMOs with thriving populations. If you want a game with full content on release you should stick to single player games. Even the behemoth WoW only had a handful of group dungeons at the endgame and a buggy raid instance(molten core was buggy as hell when it was released).

• SelenicaSelenica Roseville, CAPosts: 183Member
    Originally posted by zeowyrm

It is a great game.  But I'd rather play a mediocre game with a good population then a great game that's the equivalent of a ghost town.

It's sad that current VG players care more about trying to get more people to play than SOE does. People are constantly posting this free advertising for the game on forums and when I gave the VG trial island a try there were even players just hanging around trying to help newbies and convince them to keep playing the game after their trial was up.

• mrcalhoumrcalhou St. Bernard, LAPosts: 1,444Member

I just don't like how level-based games have a tendency to become top-heavy.

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• NethermancerNethermancer Toronto, ONPosts: 520Member

Vanguard is an amazing game. IMO its the closest thing to perfect we have in the high fantasy pve oriented MMO realm. However, SOE has decided that their hugely inferior Everquest 2 is a more important project .....so Vanguard gets the shaft and development has been slow to put it lightly.

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• Zefiris8Zefiris8 Buckeye, AZPosts: 31Member Common

Vanguard is the only game I've played that has successfully captured the EQ1 feeling. I played on initial release, suffered through all the bugs, and think I was in the first 100 on the server to make it to level 50. That took roughly 4-5 months, playing quite a bit.

Early on there weren't nearly as many quests as now. There were many times where I was in a pug, and our only objective was named farming. Exploring random dungeons just to see what was in there. There was no wiki or thottbot to tell you anything. You had to actually get lost in a dungeon to find stuff. And that is the experience I miss about VG that isn't really present in WoW(played since beta). Granted, I had a lot of fun playing WoW, but it is a different game type almost.

Sadly, with the lower pop I'm not sure how easy it would be to jump into the longer quest lines for TK, CIS, VT etc. Back then it was easy to find a group within a quest or two of where you were at. I just re-sub'd so guess I'll find out in a little bit after I get done with FF13 :P