Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Player: How Do You Get Started?

Mystik86Mystik86 Member CommonPosts: 380

Just curious about how a brand new player gets started within the world of MO... I have been testing the beta for a couple days and have only wandered around. Obviously there's no quests to get you started so what exactly is the first step or the first few steps in getting situated in the game?

Some things I'm interested in knowing specifically:

What are some "first-try" activities to take part in?

With no cash and no apparent ways to get skills to harvest materials, how does one get out of the infinite loop of noobism?

Is there a help channel or regional chat channels set up in game? If so, what are the commands?

Is there a race/starting area that people play more or find more popular?

Am I missing something or is the game just that unfinished?

Comments

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181
    Originally posted by Mystik86

Just curious about how a brand new player gets started within the world of MO... I have been testing the beta for a couple days and have only wandered around. Obviously there's no quests to get you started so what exactly is the first step or the first few steps in getting situated in the game?

Some things I'm interested in knowing specifically:
    What are some "first-try" activities to take part in?
    With no cash and no apparent ways to get skills to harvest materials, how does one get out of the infinite loop of noobism?
    Is there a help channel or regional chat channels set up in game? If so, what are the commands?
    Is there a race/starting area that people play more or find more popular?
    Am I missing something or is the game just that unfinished?

You start with harvesting skills.

Heres what to do:

1. Log-in

2. Equip noob sword.

3. Harvest some mats, make armor/weapon.

4. Go kill/tame creatures.

5. Have fun!

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• rlmccoy1987rlmccoy1987 Member Posts: 1,722
    Originally posted by skeaser

You start with harvesting skills.

Heres what to do:

1. Log-in

2. Equip noob sword.

3. Harvest some mats, make armor/weapon.

4. Go kill/tame creatures.

5. Have fun!

That about sums it up.

• Mystik86Mystik86 Member CommonPosts: 380

I was under the impression that you needed a specific skill to harvest specific mats. I've checked mine and don't see any skills I can use to do stuff like chop wood or harvest minerals or anything... I think that's where I'm quite lost. I must be missing something...

• HanoverZHanoverZ Member Posts: 1,239

I was under the impression that you needed a specific skill to harvest specific mats. I've checked mine and don't see any skills I can use to do stuff like chop wood or harvest minerals or anything... I think that's where I'm quite lost. I must be missing something...

Try relogging... Skills dont always load

I win!!! LOL@U

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985

Yes.. you need the skill to chop wood or the skill to mine ore... or both..

Then the skill to refine

Then the skills to actually craft whatever you want to make...

Pretty much your first character will be a crafter... then you can start to make some warrior types... if you can get a friend to pass the armor/weapons you make on one character to another..

OOOR... you can take your newb sword and go try to hunt boar.  Good luck though as you have poor skills and no stamina.. expect to get your butt kicked a few times... and watchout for the guys that will be jumping in front of you while you fight the boar.. they will be trying to get you to hit them so you turn grey and they can kill you for your 2 coppers worth of items...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Mystik86Mystik86 Member CommonPosts: 380

Ahhh, ok. I heard about that. Hopefully they'll get that all fixed up soon. The game feels kind of like TES without the hand-holding and I totally fucking dig that...

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

well this is probably gonna be removed in live but in beta this is the way to do it. suicide, rez at closest healer, spend a few hours killing the healer (wich is the only thing taht doesnt fight back wile at the same time raising your stats), once most of your stats are maxed go one shot wild animals for your mats. :P