Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To the general mmorpg.com community. Why do you dislike Saga of Ryzom?

Comments

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

WoW!!!!

The Mods really are on a roll today.

Guys why would you move a thread asking the general community a question? 

How am i  to get feedback if you stick this in the Ryzom forum?

HEllo!!!! anyone there!! ...... fail.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• thelawoflogicthelawoflogic Member UncommonPosts: 788

not very many quest and hard to explore

• KharumKharum Member Posts: 94

Could someone help me a bit, please?

I've made about three characters now, each with a month between them. I didn't get further than the started island or whatever. I'm liking the living and open world idea, combined with small, but social and positive community. But when I make a character and work on the tutorial quests, I'm bored to death. I have to force myself to get them done, I've given up pretty fast each time so far. The combat and movement are very simple and automated, I guess that's one. Then the pointless 'go kill 3 Yubos and come to talk with me' quests. They offer no challenge or brain activity. I've used to play WoW so much that I can't really tolerate them anymore. Same with harvesting so far, it is just start harvesting and loot when done. Perhaps it changes due time? I don't have any issues with the UI or graphics though, I like both.

Question is, should I force myself to get through the tutorial part to see if I enjoy it when it becomes bit more complicated? Does it get much more enjoyable at some point?

Waiting on Xsyon & betaing stuff

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Originally posted by Kharum

I've made about three characters now, each with a month between them. I didn't get further than the started island or whatever. I'm liking the living and open world idea, combined with small, but social and positive community. But when I make a character and work on the tutorial quests, I'm bored to death. I have to force myself to get them done, I've given up pretty fast each time so far. The combat and movement are very simple and automated, I guess that's one. Then the pointless 'go kill 3 Yubos and come to talk with me' quests. They offer no challenge or brain activity. I've used to play WoW so much that I can't really tolerate them anymore. Same with harvesting so far, it is just start harvesting and loot when done. Perhaps it changes due time? I don't have any issues with the UI or graphics though, I like both.

Question is, should I force myself to get through the tutorial part to see if I enjoy it when it becomes bit more complicated? Does it get much more enjoyable at some point?

Don't quote me, but since its a sandbox game I'm going to take a guess that quest based combat tapers off quite a bit once you reach the mainland and they it will be up to you to find your own fun.

This means earning your own currency by gathering, crafting or trading what you loot  and grouping up with others to kill npc's in various locations in order to obtain items to make better gear (there may be some nice drops, I can't say).

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

I would just do the one quest line for your main combat skill. Like if you want to just do melee do those quests and then leave for the mainland. on main land you could just roam around and do whatever.

The combat is a bit automated much like Guildwars. its an aquired taste. the Stanza and skill system make the overall experience interesting but the combat alone is slow.

Foraging gets more technical, you get careplan abilities that require you to heal a dig in the process so it doesnt  explode and one shot you. So it turns into a much more active experience. The prospecting also is diversified through stanza.

Ryzom is all about customizing your character, skills, stanzas, Armor, weapons while being social and enjoying the company of your guild in an incredibly challenging game world.

If quest bore you, no worries you arent alone. just grind one combat skill to about 20-25 and leave.

GL.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

op!the reason?i never eard of that game before you mentionned it !so you can imagine i havent even a clue what the game is

so i bet average gamer is like me they saw so many comercial on the net and in the tv about wow and free realm i bet most never saw 1 advertising from ryzom

its the only reason we dont play it

we dont even know that game exist lol.

there are countless of game like that that get lost in 1000 of mmo avail.

does it mean its good or bad ,most dont know lol!

Originally posted by drbaltazar

op!the reason?i never eard of that game before you mentionned it !so you can imagine i havent even a clue what the game is
    so i bet average gamer is like me they saw so many comercial on the net and in the tv about wow and free realm i bet most never saw 1 advertising from ryzom
    its the only reason we dont play it
    we dont even know that game exist lol.
    there are countless of game like that that get lost in 1000 of mmo avail.
    does it mean its good or bad ,most dont know lol!

Yeah the Devs ability to advertise or lack there of is complete fail.

It's left us with only world of mouth to get the game going.

Well feel free to try it. Has a 21 day trial.

• KharumKharum Member Posts: 94

Thanks, Kyleran and Rockgod99. I'll get magic higher then and try to leave the current area as fast as possible. 

Waiting on Xsyon & betaing stuff

Thanks, Kyleran and Rockgod99. I'll get magic higher then and try to leave the current area as fast as possible. 

Magic is more technical. Skill up Acid,Cold, Rot, Self heal, Self heal Sap, Speed up, Heal, Stamina gift, Sap Gift and Root for some cc.

Keep you Intel high and try your best to get into a guild that will outfit you as you level.

When you get to 100 magic you get more advance stanzas and at 150 shit gets crazy with racial skills like Fire and shock.

Watch for those Aoe spells, you can turn any missile spell into a AOE ability or even add a dot to it.

I could go on and on but im sure the guys/gals in Uni chat will help you out.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

I don’t know, the concept of the game is interesting but I just can’t get into Ryzom, also not a fan of the art design.

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

I think I remember trying this game back in some beta or something, was a really long time ago.  All I seem to remember was sand, a small outpost of some type, and really big wierd bug thingies.

Gonna download it and give the 21 day free trial a shot.

• NymandusNymandus Member UncommonPosts: 26

I would love to play this game...but they don't take Paypal...

Originally posted by nickster29

I think I remember trying this game back in some beta or something, was a really long time ago.  All I seem to remember was sand, a small outpost of some type, and really big wierd bug thingies.
    Gonna download it and give the 21 day free trial a shot.

Weird bug thingys (Kitin)? Link

One of the events i was apart of had so many kitin attacking us it looked like a bug dog pile or scrum.

So epic, i wish i could find the video.

This link is from Madsams page, hes a poster here. Gives you an idea how epic these things are.

• JuJutsuJuJutsu Member Posts: 331
    Originally posted by Rockgod99

I've been reading post after post of people wanting a less forced pvp sandbox and all a long I've been playing one.
    I've tried to spread the word yet only about 5-10k people populate its three servers.
    ON paper it seems to be what people want. The game has a skill system, totally customizable spell system, deep gathering/crafting system.  A mature and friendly community, A Game world that feels alive due to amazing weather/season and AI mechanics, a More group focused experience.
    So what about Ryzom don't you guys like that you aren't playing it?
    The game has a 21 day trial, a lower 10 dollar a month sub fee. Seems to be a dream mmo to many of you that disliked Darkfall, Eve and the upcoming MO.

Honestly it just seems like a shame that such a strong oldschool sandbox community havent embraced this game.
     So why dont you guys like it? Try to be specific and not just tell me "This and this suck!!!!!" Doesn't help at all.

I'll keep it simple and to the point: the artwork is atrocious. I played it during the beta a very long time ago. I stuck it out for 3 weeks before deciding that I couldn't stand looking at the game. I hope that is specific enough.

Originally posted by JuJutsu

I've been reading post after post of people wanting a less forced pvp sandbox and all a long I've been playing one.
    I've tried to spread the word yet only about 5-10k people populate its three servers.
    ON paper it seems to be what people want. The game has a skill system, totally customizable spell system, deep gathering/crafting system.  A mature and friendly community, A Game world that feels alive due to amazing weather/season and AI mechanics, a More group focused experience.
    The game has a 21 day trial, a lower 10 dollar a month sub fee. Seems to be a dream mmo to many of you that disliked Darkfall, Eve and the upcoming MO.

Honestly it just seems like a shame that such a strong oldschool sandbox community havent embraced this game.
     So why dont you guys like it? Try to be specific and not just tell me "This and this suck!!!!!" Doesn't help at all.

I'll keep it simple and to the point: the artwork is atrocious. I played it during the beta a very long time ago. I stuck it out for 3 weeks before deciding that I couldn't stand looking at the game. I hope that is specific enough.

yeah one of the biggest turn offs for most people is the art style.  That whole french cartoonish style doesn't sit with alot of people.

I feel that way about overly realistic plastic looking characters in other mmos.

• abyss610abyss610 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,131

yeah one of the biggest turn offs for most people is the art style.  That whole french cartoonish style doesn't sit with alot of people.

I feel that way about overly realistic plastic looking characters in other mmos.

yeah hate to admit that graphics kept me from a good game but i can not stand the art style of Ryzom. i liked everything else about the game, guess its kinda like i always wanted a dwarf Pally in every game i played that had them but i never lasted very long playing the dwarf race. never liked short races cept maybe the Raki from vanguard starfox FTW!

and i also agree with you about the realistic plastic look of games like eq2, the character models look like mannequins. the rest of the game looks great(armors included) but the models are bleh, trying eq2 again now tho tryin to not let how bad the characters look bother me.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

one of the reasons why i could not get into EQ2 and Vanguard.

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

Originally posted by SgtFrog

one of the reasons why i could not get into EQ2 and Vanguard.

Yeah we all have our preferences. Doesn't matter how awesome a game is if its using a graphics style that doesnt feel right I cannot get into it.  So i totally understand when people tell me that when it comes to ryzom.

• SerpentarSerpentar Member Posts: 246

So far the main killer for this game is the lack of any player population. Still got some time left and might sub for a month just to give it some extra time but I feel stonewalled on Silan for one reason..no players to team with. I am a completist when it comes to starter zones, feel it properly prepares me for the rest of the game.

Now when a Quest -requires- a team and you cant find one due to the fact that there is no one there..well not like I can skip it. Also the mob AI? I just dont see it yet, they'll come up and check my character out. Some are passive some are agrossive.. everything else mainly clicks though the combat is pretty basic, but its forgivable cant get everything I want in a game.

Originally posted by Serpentar

So far the main killer for this game is the lack of any player population. Still got some time left and might sub for a month just to give it some extra time but I feel stonewalled on Silan for one reason..no players to team with. I am a completist when it comes to starter zones, feel it properly prepares me for the rest of the game.
    Now when a Quest -requires- a team and you cant find one due to the fact that there is no one there..well not like I can skip it. Also the mob AI? I just dont see it yet, they'll come up and check my character out. Some are passive some are agrossive.. everything else mainly clicks though the combat is pretty basic, but its forgivable cant get everything I want in a game.

There is an entire guild of alts on silan for the one reason, to help new players. I've been healing new players for months on silan with my Zori alt.

Once on mainland Join a guild and you will never complain about population if your in a good one.

Enemy AI become more advanced on main land. You have Predators, agressives, Passive herds, passive but social, aggressive and social, Boss monsters, guild challenge bosses also the changing of spawn locations due to seasons and time of day make the game feel realistic.

• MaDSaMMaDSaM Member Posts: 627

Simple Answer: Yes!

All systems get more involved and more interesting with time and practice.

As you´ll learn new combat actions, it will become more powerful and more varied.

Unless you´re one of those people, who just mash things with max-dmg until they stop moving ;)

Crafting and foraging get more complicated and more "interesting" over time.

I personally don´t like crafting that much, but that´s just me ^^ I just never did in any MMO I played yet ;) Just not my type of thing.

But I know many others who greatly enjoy it :)

Just ask for advice in Universe and someone will tell you what´s up, if your stuck or something :)

CU

SaM

Ryzom, we dare to be different.
    Do you dare to adapt?
  • mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

I played a long time ago and right from the off it struck me as a very social game and my usual group were already on another game. The problem I had was finding a guild in game with the same UK play times that would take on a noob. Other than that I really enjoyed it while I played but just sort of hit that point where if you're not with friends, it's not worth playing.

Might see if I can get them to take up the trial.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• kobietrumankobietruman Member Posts: 105

beautiful and engaging world and crafting off the deep end (really really really deep)

but

most events are for the oldtimers

there is NO economy which is a killer when you have this wonderful crafting system and no one to sell to and no use for the money when you end up selling everything you make to the NPCs - absolutely deadly

extremely low population

even so i could deal with all of that but my last straw was the nerfing of "fear" and the dev(s) complete blind eye to the outcry - if that hadn't happened i would still be subscribing

• ZyonneZyonne Member Posts: 259

I don't think there's much to dislike about Ryzom, and I can't say I've heard many say they hate it. I think most people who try it just leave it feeling kinda indifferent about the game. Looking at the feature list, it should be the perfect sandbox experience, but after playing it a few days I just stopped logging in and forgot about it. A few reasons off the top of my head:

• The graphics didn't appeal to me. Character models in particular. They weren't bad enough to turn me off from the game, but they weren't good enough to make me care about my character, or about exploring either.
    • No jumping! Not a deal breaker, but it's annoying. Sure, the game world is designed in such a way that it's not necessary to jump to navigate it, but running 2 minutes to get around a fence that is 3 inches high gets old fast.
    • Progression in character power relative to mobs and other players in the world is as linear as it is in a typical theme park game. If you try to explore the mainland right after arrival, you will find yourself dying in one and two hits constantly just like in a theme park game. This is probably the one thing that turned me off the most. Being able to explore most of the map right from the start without spending days, weeks and months grinding to an appropriate level is one of the reasons I prefer sandbox games to theme park games, and Ryzom didn't offer me that opportunity.
    • I didn't enjoy the crafting system. I usually enjoy crafting in MMOs, but in Ryzom it just felt like a chore. Maybe I just didn't get it. It seemed in depth enough, but just... not fun.
    • Combat was okay, but felt bland despite all the options available to players.

I could probably go on, but I really don't mean to bash the game. It's a good game, despite all the things I've pointed out that I didn't like. The truth is that I could have ignored all the things I didn't enjoy if it had more players, but the world just felt dead. With more polish, and more players, it could be great, but it needs more polish to draw more players in, and more subscribers to fund the polishing. Hopefully they'll find a way around that, but it seems unlikely.

• SerpentarSerpentar Member Posts: 246

There is an entire guild of alts on silan for the one reason, to help new players. I've been healing new players for months on silan with my Zori alt.

Once on mainland Join a guild and you will never complain about population if your in a good one.

Enemy AI become more advanced on main land. You have Predators, agressives, Passive herds, passive but social, aggressive and social, Boss monsters, guild challenge bosses also the changing of spawn locations due to seasons and time of day make the game feel realistic.

I'll give it some more time. Unfornately other interests come before MMOs which it looks to be Ryzom is going to be a time intensive in the training of skills.  Its a good game, but you shouldn't have to herd us newbies through the island. Frankly I might just leave the island for the heck of it and checkout the main land. And reroll if I feel the need to actually complete the starter island.