Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA vs. Aion?

n3xtgenn3xtgen Member Posts: 5

What exactly is the difference between the two? I have never played Aion but I have seen videos and of TERA and they look similar. Is there anything different between the two game-play wise?

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Somebody posted a Tera FAQ here so you may want to check that.

• FrollyFrolly Member Posts: 37

Look at gameplay videos, you'll notice Tera and Aion are two different MMO genres. Tera is more of an action MMO while Aion is the new "classic" MMO. Tera is played like GunZ, you have to aim your spells and skills, Aion is simply Point, click, wait. The best thing I could tell you is if you have skill wait for Tera or Blade & Soul, those two games are in competition, while if you have no skill or are looking to pass time until those two games come out play WoW or Aion. I'm currently playing Aion but I'm really excited for Tera and BnS, out of the two I really don't know which one I'd pick, all comes down to mechanics. Plus the fact I think BnS might be a :buy once/no sub game; due to the videos I've seen which remind me a lot of a Guild Wars style hub mechanics which Arena.Net has sold to NCsoft. So I might play both and cancel Aion if that happens.

• zereelistzereelist Member Posts: 373
    Originally posted by frolly The best thing I could tell you is if you have skill wait for Tera or Blade & Soul, those two games are in competition, while if you have no skill or are looking to pass time until those two games come out play WoW or Aion. 

Aion takes skill to be competitive in PvP, and little bit in PvE.  Wow takes alot of skill to be competitive in both PvP and PvE.  I am interested in what your definition of skill is.  Just because TERA is aim based does not mean it takes more skill.

• DillingerEPDillingerEP Member UncommonPosts: 366
    Originally posted by zereelist

Originally posted by frolly The best thing I could tell you is if you have skill wait for Tera or Blade & Soul, those two games are in competition, while if you have no skill or are looking to pass time until those two games come out play WoW or Aion. 

Aion takes skill to be competitive in PvP, and little bit in PvE.  Wow takes alot of skill to be competitive in both PvP and PvE.  I am interested in what your definition of skill is.  Just because TERA is aim based does not mean it takes more skill.

I would not of have gone as far to say, Aion and WoW takes no skill to play like the other guy. But just having to aim a spell and hope it lands.. takes a bit more skill then point and click, and have it heat seek your target. At the end of the day though, it's all opinion. I wouldn't say either WoW takes A LOT of skill, especially after Blizzard has dumb down the PvE, and has classes you can win in PvP just by smashing your face into the keyboard.. but that's just my opinion. 

• FrollyFrolly Member Posts: 37

By skill I meant you have to be able to aim and you need swift reflexes. A lot of people I know who play MMORPGs play the "classic" MMOs because they can't aim at all and fail at all kinds of FPS and Fighting games where they have no aim or foresight. What I call skill is not patience. WoW and Aion are games of common sense, one thing happens, he has his cool down you do your thing and then you have your cool down. Of course TERA will most likely also have cool downs but the fact that you have to aim will make it a lot harder for those who can't, and trust me, a lot of MMO players can't aim, it's why they stick to RPGs, you rarely ever require skill to play RPGs, the few that do require skill either become major flops because the RPG fans down talk it or major success because the action gamers freaking love it for having above standard RPG game play and a great storyline. Basically a game with auto-aim in my opinion is not a game of skill, it's simply a game of action reaction, sorta like an RTS, once you've got your strats right it's simply click and repeat until you find that one person who knows how to counter it out of the crowd of n00bs who cry out "OVER POWERED! HACKS! NERF [Class/Job]! MAKE [Other Class/Job] BETTER!".

lol

• CaradaeCaradae Member Posts: 29
    Originally posted by n3xtgen

What exactly is the difference between the two? I have never played Aion but I have seen videos and of TERA and they look similar. Is there anything different between the two game-play wise?

I think the more appropriate question would be:  Tera or Allods? they both seem to be the same fantasy genre, I just hope it turns out better than Allods did.

• bronecarbronecar Member Posts: 685
    Originally posted by Caradae
    I think the more appropriate question would be:  Tera or Allods? they both seem to be the same fantasy genre, I just hope it turns out better than Allods did.

I hope the refference to Allods was a joke :)

• CaradaeCaradae Member Posts: 29
    Originally posted by bronecar

Allods would be a great game if it wasn't for dumb people behind it. Seems to be steampunk fantasy genre, same as Allods is. That's all I'm saying!

• Moldy2Moldy2 Member Posts: 73

Allods would be a great game if it wasn't for dumb people behind it. Seems to be steampunk fantasy genre, same as Allods is. That's all I'm saying!

lolwut?!

• bronecarbronecar Member Posts: 685

Seems to be steampunk fantasy genre, same as Allods is. That's all I'm saying!

Are you sure we are talking about the same game? What on earth gave you the idea TERA was a steampunk kinda game? :)

• versulasversulas Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Originally posted by Frolly

"... and trust me, a lot of MMO players can't aim, it's why they stick to RPGs..."

Heh... that's the reason, huh?  Out of all the game defining themes that separate the 2 genres- and even with all the mmo's today that have TPS & FPS aspects, that's your defining cause =/

Hell, I don't even disagree with you on the first part, a lot of fps players wouldn't have the patience to temp, grind, raid, or roleplay  for their lives either, just found it funny that you were that confident about the motives of others.

As far as Tera and Aion, both look amazing, only one is out... Not much of a choice there... Anything we can really say about Tera before it's released (in English damnit) is based on teasers and sketchy gameplay.  If you're willing to only get one because you're so sure if you get Aion you will still be playing next year or w/e Tera comes out, personally, I'd recommend Tera because it seems more revolutionary and addictive.

If ya played L2 & WoW, you've pretty much seen all Aion has to offer.  One thing I loved about Aion is the customization which I'm fairly confident Tera will have -didn't care about flying, and as far as RvR went, they coulda taken a page outta Daoc's book on that- so for me it's no contest.

• joeballsjoeballs Member UncommonPosts: 163
    Originally posted by DillingerEP

Originally posted by zereelist

I would not of have gone as far to say, Aion and WoW takes no skill to play like the other guy. But just having to aim a spell and hope it lands.. takes a bit more skill then point and click, and have it heat seek your target. At the end of the day though, it's all opinion. I wouldn't say either WoW takes A LOT of skill, especially after Blizzard has dumb down the PvE, and has classes you can win in PvP just by smashing your face into the keyboard.. but that's just my opinion. 

The word 'Skill' is too broad to apply it to simply a "target-less" combat system. "Skill" means to be well at something because of knowledge and practice. This can be applied to any aspect of a game.

My personal opinion of a 'target-less' system, is that if the camera/view implementation is not done correctly, and the way you kill a mob, you'll be left with a game that feels twitch-based where the gameworld/environment is flying all around the screen as you move the reticle (the mouse). This is an example of a horrible implementation. I think Spellborn has this implementation, and it's truly annoying. It doesn't make for a pleasant experience.

• MalekTausMalekTaus Member Posts: 5

This game seems to play like a third person action console hack'n slash RPG (xbox 360 controller is supported) while Aion is point and click and press allot of hotbar keys

• tub0rgtub0rg Member Posts: 110
    Originally posted by Frolly

By skill I meant you have to be able to aim and you need swift reflexes. A lot of people I know who play MMORPGs play the "classic" MMOs because they can't aim at all and fail at all kinds of FPS and Fighting games where they have no aim or foresight. What I call skill is not patience. WoW and Aion are games of common sense, one thing happens, he has his cool down you do your thing and then you have your cool down. Of course TERA will most likely also have cool downs but the fact that you have to aim will make it a lot harder for those who can't, and trust me, a lot of MMO players can't aim, it's why they stick to RPGs, you rarely ever require skill to play RPGs, the few that do require skill either become major flops because the RPG fans down talk it or major success because the action gamers freaking love it for having above standard RPG game play and a great storyline. Basically a game with auto-aim in my opinion is not a game of skill, it's simply a game of action reaction, sorta like an RTS, once you've got your strats right it's simply click and repeat until you find that one person who knows how to counter it out of the crowd of n00bs who cry out "OVER POWERED! HACKS! NERF [Class/Job]! MAKE [Other Class/Job] BETTER!".
    lol

you honestly call the ability to aim with a mouse and quick reflexes skill?

i stoped playing online fps years ago because there was nothing more involved then aim and click. there were tactical shooters that had both but they either got patched to kiddy spray & pray or vanished alltogether. the shit they release today is such simplified crap its hard to stomach. the last fps mp i got any fun off was the first splinter cell mp wich is what 6-7 years ago.i tried the bf2 demo but stop even thinking about it after i scoring 100 kills while dying twice.

and there are always thoose n00b admins who ban you for whiping out the enemy team because everyone whoose better then them is a cheater and needs to get nerfed eh i mean banned.

that reaction is common for every pvp game no matter what genre because for a lot of people it seems to be only about proving themself and sticking it to someelse.

i mean thats basically whats eve and aion is about. ganking and griefing. eve may have some nice sandbox elemts but at the end its about fucking other people up to feel better about yourself...

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Aion was kind of a let down for me.  I had fun at first ( played in Korea, China, and then NA servers) but it got boring for me.  Small maps, Unable to find a group for party quest (my guild out lvled me and did not want to bother with low lvl peeps and content,  I don't blame them because it must have gotten old for them also),  Point & click, and the grind with no real reward to speak of.

Tera peaks my attention because its not point and click, has collision detection, and the maps look big (at least from the vid's).  I don't mind a little grind as long as its not boring and I get rewarded for my effort.

Cheers

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• dwarflordkingdwarflordking Member Posts: 265

is this question a joke? tera is a realtime next gen mmo, aion is the last of the old ones for korea

and anyone who thinks static fighting is better then realtime is dumb or can't aim. imagine if action games like god of war or zelda had that crappy combat? it would be a joke

• KilorTheMeekKilorTheMeek Member Posts: 260

Originally posted by stayontarget

Aion was kind of a let down for me.  I had fun at first ( played in Korea, China, and then NA servers) but it got boring for me.  Small maps, Unable to find a group for party quest (my guild out lvled me and did not want to bother with low lvl peeps and content,  I don't blame them because it must have gotten old for them also),  Point & click, and the grind with no real reward to speak of.

Tera peaks my attention because its not point and click, has collision detection, and the maps look big (at least from the vid's).  I don't mind a little grind as long as its not boring and I get rewarded for my effort.

Cheers

I'm having fun with Aion, but perhaps it's cuz my guild is closer in level with me, and we're all pretty casual gamers.  I find that I have more fun in any MMO playing with people who have similar play styles as i do.

I'm looking forward to Tera for the same reasons you are.  I'm also loving the dodge & parry mechanics that are being teased... making it so that it's player movement that dictates if you dodge an attack rather than attribute points.  As for the grind... I've come to expect it..  Western game... eastern game... they all have grinds.  The good news with Tera is that some of the devs are former Blizzard employees, so hopefully they'll get some more western influence into the grind structure and as you say, make the grind a little more rewarding.

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
  • Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647

Tera=Aion=Korean Grindfest with no reward at the end. 

• DraftbeerDraftbeer Member UncommonPosts: 517

Originally posted by Honeymoon69

Tera=Aion=Korean Grindfest with no reward at the end. 

Can you prove your statement?