Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I don't understand how anyone gets past the combat?

elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I have always wanted to play EQ. I read about it all the time. I peruse the expansion pack information and there seems like SO much to the game, that most modern MMO's don't hold a candle to.

So I decide to do the trial.

Everything is going along, so so. The controls, take a bit to get used to, especially swimming. I get its old. I still wish they would just redo the control mechanics to fit modern MMO standards, but I digress.

So I get sent to kill some rats, bats and spiders. Every single battle bored me to tears. They were long, not much animation was happening, and I didn't have a visceral feel of my character in the world that modern MMOs give.

Has combat always been this slow and boring in EQ? How do you vets even play it? If they would change the UI, controls and speed up combat, maybe throw in a better music soundtrack, like EQ2 has, I would sub to this in a heartbeat. As it is, I keep wondering when the game will just go away if they won't address these issues.

Comments

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

A 10 year old game plays like it's 10 years old? No wai.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by GTwander

That's not the issue. If it was a game like UO, I get it. They barely have a skeleton crew on that game anymore. But EQ? The flagship MMO that truly started the 3D MMO era? Releases and expansion pack once and sometimes twice a year and not once have they addressed these basic issues I spoke about?

When they charge the same amount for an EQ expansion pack as they do an EQ2 expansion pack, something doesn't match when they can't even change the game mechanics to at least make the game "fun".

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842
    Originally posted by elocke

Originally posted by GTwander

That's not the issue. If it was a game like UO, I get it. They barely have a skeleton crew on that game anymore. But EQ? The flagship MMO that truly started the 3D MMO era? Releases and expansion pack once and sometimes twice a year and not once have they addressed these basic issues I spoke about?

When they charge the same amount for an EQ expansion pack as they do an EQ2 expansion pack, something doesn't match when they can't even change the game mechanics to at least make the game "fun".

Your acting like what you experienced is an issue, when in fact it's not. EQ does not need nor never will change. Not everything needs to conform to your MMO philosophy.

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

Changing the combat mechanics in the way you suggest would make too many people quit playing. I still have friends who play EQ religiously after 10 years and they love that style of combat. Why should SOE change a great system, that has worked for almost 11 years and possibly piss off many, long term customers, for the chance of bringing in a few new players to an old game?

• MrBum21MrBum21 Member UncommonPosts: 405

I think they should keep it the way it is, but you know SOE, if its not broken, break it.

the missing link in a chain of destruction.

All spelling and typographical errors are based soely on the fact that i just dont care. If you must point out my lack of atention to detail, please do it with a smile.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

EQ combat gets better later on. It's not fast, but you will have more going on later, trust me.

Also, you can remap your keys for WASD and whatver else you want.

And: www.eqinterface.com/ UIs!

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Wait you want SOE to do another NGE to long time subscribers? You better hope and pray you never get what you're asking for LOL.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• MrBum21MrBum21 Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Originally posted by Malickie

Wait you want SOE to do another NGE to long time subscribers? You better hope and pray you never get what you're asking for LOL.

oh god, that amount of nerd-rage would split the world

the missing link in a chain of destruction.

All spelling and typographical errors are based soely on the fact that i just dont care. If you must point out my lack of atention to detail, please do it with a smile.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by korr

Originally posted by Malickie

oh god, that amount of nerd-rage would split the world

Maybe that's what happens in 2012?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• tarviktarvik Member UncommonPosts: 84

Combat blows when your low lvl but it picks up i saaaay eeeh lvl 20 which takes like a half hour now days to get, thats when your skills open up more etc..from there on it just gets waaaaaaay better

EQ being a group game the fights take longer..they have lowered alot of the mobs HPs at the lower lvls an made them slower,  just all around more easy really since you mostly solo at them lvls now days but them first couple lvls still suckass

The Combat is something they tried changing a few years back  but didnt go over well with the players ,  dont feel like looking for the article but the players did not want it to change i believe the Dev. quote was 'I guess most EQ players like being able to talk as they fight'  which doesnt make it boring but you have to be careful on how you use your abilitys while fighting in groups..this isnt a spam your skills as fast as you can game its more strat like i guess you can say..

If you want to be more active in combat i would say try a Bard or Ranger both are very active classes when it comes to how they play

1 more thing if you were in the gloomingdeep shit whatever the hell its called..get the charm then gtfo that place blows

• AxeionAxeion Member UncommonPosts: 418

Think theirs a better newbie charm quest in the draklin starting zone .Now an theirs a zone modifer for xp just out side that city.Combat in eq is difrent.

Lower levels suck. higher levels it gets better a better.You start to get your doublt atacks,crits, procs,riposts,blocks,etc. then at 51 you can start doing alt advacment (aa's) an realy start to open up your toons some more for combat. at 55 you can get a aa that makes  you proc more.later on you can make your procs crit.an some classes get flurry.Then theirs doulbe riposts an the combat list goes on .An theirs disaplines as well.

But if your expecting combat say like age of conan or city of heroes which has more button mashing your looking still at eq.If your a tank you button mash alot.Taunt,disarm,bash/kick,an if your a paladin stun spells an agro spells.It all depends on your class how well you can make macros as well .

an yes were way over due for new character models.We were suposed to get a start in the serpents spine.Tho they did mention new character models in a customer survey .

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." — Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant (1933)

• peteski123peteski123 Member UncommonPosts: 447

lol,

Op is compairing a 10 year old CLASSIC game to new mechanics and such.

This game was one of the first mmo's and did Very well, too many of us old timers its still the best. But to compare to newer games is a tad silly. Like comparing say The first Mario platform game that was also another classic and saying I wish they could of put it in 3D like Call of duty and added a function to make it 64 multi player.

if you want a better Eq1, try Eq2 and so on ;)

• tarviktarvik Member UncommonPosts: 84

If they are still working on the new character models i sure hope they went a different direction with them..the human model  i seen looked just like the drakkin ..dont mind the drakkins think it was a step forward but would like to see each model lookin much different from the other like how the original ones you couldnt mistake whiich race was which

• sebbonxsebbonx Member Posts: 318

Don't listen to the posters here, you kill bats, rats, skeletons you get higher level and kill.....bats, rats, skeletons. The game has lost all it's players though for catering to the raiders, not due to the boring, slow combat, well maybe for both reasons. BTW, the UI blows and you shouldn't have to go to some outside website to fix it.

If you have any questions please ask. I have moved on to WoW from eq and no longer have any desire to play a dead game. Thank you. (posted by another selling his account in EQ1)

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

its the reason most vet love this game the pace if i wanted to start eq this morning and be done tonight i would play chess instead or wow!now the thing is most eq1 player are going eq2, so unless soe convert eq1 to a cs f2p game it will die!

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

I almost thought I was in agreement with you until I read further on that you have a more favorable opinion of EQ2 which plays and looks to me much like EQ1.  I can say after having played them both much later than the release of both games neither would have made me an mmo player like I am today, my interest in Star Wars was why I overlooked the lackluster graphical work that SOE does (in my opinion) and from there on it really takes an interest in the ip for me to want to play an mmo (especially since they don't ever have a story to them).

But I still think so many companies do mmo's so much better than SOE ever does there is really no contest.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

Originally posted by tarvik

If they are still working on the new character models i sure hope they went a different direction with them..the human model  i seen looked just like the drakkin ..dont mind the drakkins think it was a step forward but would like to see each model lookin much different from the other like how the original ones you couldnt mistake whiich race was which

They should resemble the ones in the bruning sea if i recall right.Which wasnt bad. the drakkin model skeleton they planed to use for every pc model is much more effecent than the luclin ones most use now.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." — Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant (1933)

Originally posted by sebbonx

Don't listen to the posters here, you kill bats, rats, skeletons you get higher level and kill.....bats, rats, skeletons. The game has lost all it's players though for catering to the raiders, not due to the boring, slow combat, well maybe for both reasons. BTW, the UI blows and you shouldn't have to go to some outside website to fix it.

O "relly? Skeletons sure their high level ones.Some are cleric to an suck. Bats um yeah i think theirs some higher level bats. Nost rpgs reuse grafic types an have more powerful types of the same type as you level up. But theirs Tons of variety in eq for mob type.

eqbeastiary.allakhazam.com/zonelist.html heres a list off all of the eq zones an threw each a list of mobs in each zones. Far more than just 3 types.

The ui eq has right now is playable i use it till i can get to fix my own ui www.eqinterface.com/downloads/fileinfo.php im well behind of fixing it.The resons health an lack of certian progrmas atm .But atm i do use the default ui.It doesnt flow together as id like but its usable,playable an a decent base line for ui mods.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    Originally posted by sebbonx

I haven't played an MMO yet with a default UI that I like. LoTRO is the closest, but still not perfect.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Old games like UO, EQ, AC and AO were never about combat. These oldschool rpgs were about being social, investing time in your character combat wasnt the exciting part (at first) it was watching your character getting stronger and having fun with your friends.

Games like DAoC and WoW  started making mmos all about combat and less about your characters progression.

Now everyone wants combat to be amazing, to do this you will alienate damn near every vet that invested years into the game.

Its better to just stick with the post WoW games if you need exciting fast, combat.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

To answer your question, yes the combat has always been that slow and if you find it boring then yes it will pretty much be the same all the way up.

Some will say this is skill or requires strategy, but it is really just slowed down combat with less mechanics and abilities to deal with. 

It does get better in groups, but the same goes for any mmo.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

Combat is definitely boring. It gets much worse as you level, because it takes forever to kill something. I used to surf the net while I fought. How funny is that when we have so many people call EQ "hard"?

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092
    Originally posted by Rockgod99

Old games like UO, EQ, AC and AO were never about combat.

I can't speak for UO, but the only way to progress in EQ, AC, or AO was combat. Those games were definitely about combat. I'm guessing you never even played those games for an extended period of time.

• BuzWeaverBuzWeaver Member UncommonPosts: 978

Back in the day we didn't have any 'modern' MMO's from which to draw a comparison. Back then people had a little longer attention span and were more into the immersion, which is what kept a lot of us coming back to EQ (Risk/Reward, Carrot on the Stick). I would agree the combat was diminutive, but we loved it.

The Old Timers Guild
    Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!

www.oldtimersguild.com
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it. - Jef Mallett

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by BuzWeaver
    Back in the day we didn't have any 'modern' MMO's from which to draw a comparison. Back then people had a little longer attention span and were more into the immersion, which is what kept a lot of us coming back to EQ (Risk/Reward, Carrot on the Stick). I would agree the combat was diminutive, but we loved it.

People are still into Immersion, I rate all games I play based on that first. Combat however is something else. If it's not "fun" then it can really be a detriment to the game, as is the case with EQ1.