Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To the general mmorpg.com community. Why do you dislike Saga of Ryzom?

Comments

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

Does rhyzom have a free trial?

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

The lore.

Never understood the world and the alien like inhabitants.

• sekrogsekrog Member Posts: 261
    Originally posted by uquipu

Does rhyzom have a free trial?

www.ryzom.com/en/download_game.html

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Lack of a soundtrack. I really like my MMORPG's to have music that draws me in, helps with the immersion. Ryzom has nothing, not even ambient music and it completely detaches me from the game.

That being said it's not the ONLY reason, I didn't subscribe after completing the trial.

I found the Stanza system interesting at first but then tedious and annoying the more I leveled my skills. Too much overthinking on that system bogged me down. -1 fun point.

Crafting at first was cool, but then having to search every 5 steps was down right annoying, -1 fun point.

Graphically, some areas look great, but the mobs and character models look and feel like Runes of Magic. -1 fun point.

I couldn't really see what my long term goals could be or to strive for(albeit I didn't look very hard) but most games at least give you a teaser so you have something to look forward to. Like Eve.

Overall, that is what I would say boring and non-fun gameplay means to me. And Saga of Ryzom is just boring, non fun and soundtrackless. Lack of Immersion.

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

Interesting thread, I'll chime in.

I played Ryzom for about 2 years, started in closed beta, and eventually left because 2 years is a long time for a game. During that time I tried to get friends (both RL and from other online communities) into the game and collected a lot of responses from theses friends, mostly responses why they didn't like the game. Here's what I think what went wrong and why many people don't "get" the game:

In a way, Ryzom is an old-school game: no real quests to speak of, xp-grind, group-focused play, no fast action, no handholding whatsoever, a death penalty. But Ryzom is also everything but an old-school game: chock-full of innovations, races, story and lore never seen before, a completely new and innovative skill system, a setting that is neither fantasy nor sci-fi but something in between, coupled with an art-style that is alien to both fantasy and sci-fi fans. Ryzom is a piece of art. Granted, the developers did a few things wrong ... only a few, mind you.

And this explosive mixture of old and new released two weeks (3? 4?) before the juggernaut of all MMORPGs released and turned the whole genre upside down. Ryzom would have had niche character anyway because there can be such a thing as too much innovation - and with all these innovations Ryzom was unfamiliar to the old-school player, and even with those players WoW featured prominently as the next best thing, for most of them Ryzom was a mere blip on the radar screen. For the new players WoW introduced to the genre Ryzom is little more than a left-over from earlier games, less the familiar archetypes, setting, races and story.

Here's some responses I got from friends:

- I can't stand to be the looser, in game XXX you can be the hero, in Ryzom I'm only a refugee with nothing to show off with.

- I can't play a game whithout any useable loot. I don't like to craft or deal with crafters.

- What? There is no archer in that game? I always play archers! What, there is no stealth-class? I always play stealth classes!

- I can't stand that UI - and I don't want to spend half an hour configuring the UI to my tastes (which is completely possible).

- That setting is just too alien, I can understand spaceship, I can understand elves, orcs and the like, but I've got neither of that in Ryzom.

- The game is just too difficult. I want to jump into the game and don't like to fiddle around for an hour just learning how to bash the next mob to death.

End of story. I still think that Ryzom is the best MMORPG I ever played (with DAoC a close second) but sometimes one can have a good game at the wrong time.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

Based on this thread I will probably try the game when (and if) I'm done with Darkfall.  The combat system being boring is a bit off-putting, but nobody else really has a good reason why it's a bad game.  Plus that screenshot where you can see the girl's coinslot is awesome.  Things like UI and complex systems never bother me in games (and often turn out to be positives).

Problem is I don't see myself being done with Darkfall for at least a year.  It's just too awesome.  Plus my main reasons for liking darkfall is the fast-paced fps style combat and the fact that there's danger everywhere and anyone can kill you if they feel like it.  Based on what I've read here those exciting elements seem to be lacking in Ryzom.

Finding those elements cool and exciting is my opinion of course, many people dislike Darkfall for the same reasons, so OP don't get all fanboi on me.

Still though, it is one of the few mmorpgs I haven't tried, so I'll put it on my list.  Sadly, by the time I'm done Darkfall, ffxiv will be out and also probably Star Wars, so there's a good chance I will never give Ryzom a decent shot.  Sorry!

• MuffinStumpMuffinStump Member UncommonPosts: 474

Originally posted by RealmLords
    I just love threads that ask your opinion and then argue with you about it.  Reminds me too much of that six months of solid DarkFall viral advertising.

Ken

Yep, you can't really win in threads like this one.

If you give a short bullet list of reasons you dislike the game then you haven't given enough information and you are dismissed but if you give a lengthy reasoned explanation then you are clearly wrong and presenting misinformation, you dirty troll.

Just make it another thread about why "insert mmorpg" is great and everyone is a fool for not liking it like I do.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

I just love threads that ask your opinion and then argue with you about it.  Reminds me too much of that six months of solid DarkFall viral advertising.

Ken

Oh come on I went back and forth with one guy and that was due to some wrong info he was giving on certain key features in the game. Besides that I've been helpful in giving both info and talking to a few of the players that started the game after seeing my thread this morning.

Bringing up Darkfall and Viral marketing is not needed.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• SelenicaSelenica Member Posts: 183

Bad introduction to the game/bad tutorial. The game didn't really pull me in when I first tried it and I had other games I was more interested in playing at the time.

• sekrogsekrog Member Posts: 261
    Originally posted by MuffinStump

Ken

If you give a short bullet list of reasons you dislike the game then you haven't given enough information and you are dismissed but if you give a lengthy reasoned explanation then you are clearly wrong and presenting misinformation, you dirty troll.

Just make it another thread about why "insert mmorpg" is great and everyone is a fool for not liking it like I do.

Although I know it started out that way, I feel most of the comments have been really interesting and insightful (bar the back and forth stuff that no one really pays much attention to). 

As in the case of Darkfall, I hope that a thread like this doesn't have the opposite effect of that which was probably desired at the outset, however.

Still, games that stick their neck out to try something different will always have strong advocates and strong dissenters.  Although not as economically successful as their vanilla counterparts, I'd much rather support the EvEs, Darkfalls, and Ryzoms of the world...regardless of their shortcomings.

Originally posted by sekrog

Originally posted by MuffinStump

Ken

Although I know it started out that way, I feel most of the comments have been really interesting and insightful (bar the back and forth stuff that no one really pays much attention to). 

As in the case of Darkfall, I hope that a thread like this doesn't have the opposite effect of that which was probably desired at the outset, however.

Still, games that stick their neck out to try something different will always have strong advocates and strong dissenters.  Although not as economically successful as their vanilla counterparts, I'd much rather support the EvEs, Darkfalls, and Ryzoms of the world...regardless of their shortcomings.

I accomplished what I set out to do. I got a Saga of Ryzom topic to stay on the first page the entire day. Got new people to try the game and got the info I needed.

Overall it was good.

Have a good day people.

• arcdevilarcdevil Member Posts: 864

I gave Ryzom a chance a couple years ago and didnt impress me much, but back then I was an UO crackhead, so actually nothing besides that did.

The only thing that prevents me from hopping into it now is the fact that EarthRise is looming on the horizon, it sounds like a very similar game just better (adds a metric ton of new interesting concepts, and lets admiti it, gfx do matter), and first and foremost, I really value starts and equal playfields over everything.

Im a competitor and an overachiever, and dont like playing in a long established game where the bulk of the population is vastly ahead of me. ER will give me that.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173
    Originally posted by Selenica

Bad introduction to the game/bad tutorial.

^^ This.

I played for a couple days when it was free and it had a very low population.  It was tough trying to figure out how things worked and why they worked that way.  The community was friendly enough but I ended up feeling like I had to have my hand held to get anything done or make any kind of progress toward a goal I didn't understand. It wasn't fun.

• RealmLordsRealmLords Member Posts: 358

Quoting Rockgod99:

I accomplished what I set out to do. I got a Saga of Ryzom topic to stay on the first page the entire day. Got new people to try the game and got the info I needed.

Overall it was good.

Have a good day people.

Congrats on the successful advertising!

Ken

www.ActionMMORPG.com
    One man, a small pile of money, and the screwball idea of a DIY Indie MMORPG? Yep, that's him. ~sigh~

• GilgameeshGilgameesh Member UncommonPosts: 412

I gave Ryzom a chance in 2004 and..... wait! ..... ooops,. wrong thread.

Sorry Rock, can't help you teeling why i ddidn't liked Ryzom ... because i'm still playing it since then.

Apart of the jokes, i wanna congrats to you for this smart thread.

With the exception of very few trollers, most posters were honest and balanced in writing their opinions and this can only be good to the game.

Just a last thing I wish to tell to the people speaking about Darkfall. Darkfall and Ryzom have a totally different approach to the genre, so they are not competitors, because they rely to different gamers. Personally I always support indie companies, that at least, try to be different. Said that, I wanna point out that there is a similarity between the 2 games: the thrills that someone love in Darkfall, caused by the ffa pvp setting, it's almost present in Ryzom too: the difference is that in Darkfall that is caused by the other players, in Ryzom it is caused by the environment.

You can dislike Ryzom in any way you prefer, but no one can negate the fact that Ryzom has the only real living ecosystem in the actual mmo market (for the mix of fauna, flora, seasons and weather), unsurpassed and dangerous. Travelling in Ryzom thru the high regions, is always a thrill experience, no matter how many masters you got into your pocket.

Nickname registered on www.mynickname.org

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Quoting Rockgod99:

Overall it was good.

Have a good day people.

Ken

Hmm.

Well, I know it's a tactic of advertising in all mediums, but just flat out admitting to manipulating people kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Sort of the same feeling I got from Ryzom's user interface, to be honest....like, "I know there's something potentially decent in here, but it's covered in sludge, and I don't really feel like wading through it to find what's only MAYBE a good thing."

Yup. You're "advertisement" actually was a nudge in the opposite direction you intended for me.

So...I still say the game has a horrid tutorial and lacks an intuitive UI. Both of those things are important, at least for me, in getting me interested in your game world.  But....congrats (??) on being able to manipulate a few people into giving it another go 'round.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• MaDSaMMaDSaM Member Posts: 627

OMG! Where did this come from? 0ô

Phew... some things I can relate to, others I absolutely don´t understand.

Well, that´s people for you. *shrug*

I play Ryzom and love to play Ryzom and will play Ryzom, as long as it lasts.

For my own reasons ;)

CU

SaM

Ryzom, we dare to be different.
    Do you dare to adapt?
    Originally posted by girlgeek

Quoting Rockgod99:

Overall it was good.

Have a good day people.

Ken

Hmm.

Well, I know it's a tactic of advertising in all mediums, but just flat out admitting to manipulating people kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Sort of the same feeling I got from Ryzom's user interface, to be honest....like, "I know there's something potentially decent in here, but it's covered in sludge, and I don't really feel like wading through it to find what's only MAYBE a good thing."

Yup. You're "advertisement" actually was a nudge in the opposite direction you intended for me.

So...I still say the game has a horrid tutorial and lacks an intuitive UI. Both of those things are important, at least for me, in getting me interested in your game world.  But....congrats (??) on being able to manipulate a few people into giving it another go 'round.

Haha! You act as if Im working for the Ryzom Devs. I said in my initial post I was gathering negative information for my own personal Suggestion thread on the official forums.

Getting people to try the game is a plus thats all. More exposure is a good thing. If a player enjoying his/her game and being happy he got a few new people to try it turns you off please stay where you are.

I've done the same for Eve, Swg and UO back in the day. I don't see an issue with giving and collecting data for a game.

I love how people are making me out to be a bad guy. I just spent an entire day on an alt helping players in the starting island.

Yet im this evil viral marketer lol.

I love Ryzom and I'm glad I get to share this wonderful game with a handful of new people.

Didn't realize this was a bad thing.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

The game did not do anything for me,it had boring mobs,F2P graphics,starts boring and continued boring.It may very well offer something along the way,i just never got that far to see anything eventful.

I can use a similar example,playing FFXI.I was no FF fan at all,i was introduced to the series by a friend,so i was not going in as any fanbois at all.

Anyhoot,when i first got into the game,it gave me that feel of challenge and i could experiment with all the starting class on the same player.I did not even know of the sub class yet,i was a total noob, i did no prior reading before entering the game on NA release.Once i got to level 18 and figured out about the sub class,i was like man this is cool and opens up a whole new game for the class system.I was thinking outside of the challenging and realistic combat system,it could have come across as another Ryzom,so this is why i say sometimes you have to stick out a game for a tad longer.

However with Ryzom you get to mess around with the editor,usually this is a great idea,but in Ryzom's case it hurt the game,because it allowed me to see more of it's inside and i was not impressed.

Even as a F2p game,Ryzom imo barely holds water,if it was totally free even with no item mall,i would not play it.I did however say,there might be something in the game i did not last long enough to see,but i highly doubt it,as i said the editor was the final blow.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by Wizardry

The game did not do anything for me,it had boring mobs,F2P graphics,starts boring and continued boring.It may very well offer something along the way,i just never got that far to see anything eventful.
    I can use a similar example,playing FFXI.I was no FF fan at all,i was introduced to the series by a friend,so i was not going in as any fanbois at all.
    Anyhoot,when i first got into the game,it gave me that feel of challenge and i could experiment with all the starting class on the same player.I did not even know of the sub class yet,i was a total noob, i did no prior reading before entering the game on NA release.Once i got to level 18 and figured out about the sub class,i was like man this is cool and opens up a whole new game for the class system.I was thinking outside of the challenging and realistic combat system,it could have come across as another Ryzom,so this is why i say sometimes you have to stick out a game for a tad longer.
    However with Ryzom you get to mess around with the editor,usually this is a great idea,but in Ryzom's case it hurt the game,because it allowed me to see more of it's inside and i was not impressed.
    Even as a F2p game,Ryzom imo barely holds water,if it was totally free even with no item mall,i would not play it.I did however say,there might be something in the game i did not last long enough to see,but i highly doubt it,as i said the editor was the final blow.

Thats a pretty interesting take on the Game Wizardy.

I kind of agree with the Ryzom ring comment. I have so many issues with it right now. one is that its very hard to use since it has no tutorial what so ever.

Your other comments ehh... To each his own. Thanks for contributing.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by Rockgod99

Quoting Rockgod99:

Overall it was good.

Have a good day people.

Ken

Hmm.

Haha! You act as if Im working for the Ryzom Devs. I said in my initial post I was gathering negative information for my own personal Suggestion thread on the official forums.

Getting people to try the game is a plus thats all. More exposure is a good thing. If a player enjoying his/her game and being happy he got a few new people to try it turns you off please stay where you are.

I've done the same for Eve, Swg and UO back in the day. I don't see an issue with giving and collecting data for a game.

Neither do I....if you're up front about it.  Besides...don't you suppose many of us that tried the game ALREADY posted on the forums there?  I'm glad that you feel a sense of importance in helping the devs there. That's actually a good thing, and hopefully....they'll read what you wrote and listen. Although, if people have already been posting some of these things (and I know they have) and they haven't changed anything.... I wonder why it is you think that YOU posting it...will somehow suddenly change something?  I don't know. It's a lofty goal though, and they should appreciate someone who cares enough for the game to take that effort. It's commendable, really.

No personal offense intended toward you, but...I still feel the same way. And I'm not unhappy in the games I'm playing, so I'm not your "target audience" anyway. So...no foul and no harm done. The modus operandi just wasn't appealing to me.  I meant no offense.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

Quoting Rockgod99:

Overall it was good.

Have a good day people.

Ken

Hmm.

Neither do I....if you're up front about it.  Besides...don't you suppose many of us that tried the game ALREADY posted on the forums there?  I'm glad that you feel a sense of importance in helping the devs there. That's actually a good thing, and hopefully....they'll read what you wrote and listen. Although, if people have already been posting some of these things (and I know they have) and they haven't changed anything.... I wonder why it is you think that YOU posting it...will somehow suddenly change something?  I don't know. It's a lofty goal though, and they should appreciate someone who cares enough for the game to take that effort. It's commendable, really.

No personal offense intended toward you, but...I still feel the same way. And I'm not unhappy in the games I'm playing, so I'm not your "target audience" anyway. So...no foul and no harm done. The modus operandi just wasn't appealing to me.  I meant no offense.

In the last year the devs have released quite a few fixes and additions to the game. Like UI improvments, revamping the tutorial, adding missions and even putting in an entire new kitin lair (think non-instanced dungeon). So i figured it would be cool to make a new suggestion thread.

Right now the Ryzom official forums are kind of dead and since I value my fellow sandbox community members on this forum I figured I would gather intel here.

Surprisingly by doing this I came across a bunch of people that either never tried the game or thought it was still closed down.

So im happy i could atleast introduce ryzom to them :)

• MaDSaMMaDSaM Member Posts: 627

I kind of agree with the Ryzom ring comment. I have so many issues with it right now. one is that its very hard to use since it has no tutorial what so ever.

Your other comments ehh... To each his own. Thanks for contributing.

Sorry, wrong.

www.ryzom.com/en/pdf.html

Here you´ll find all avaliable tutorials as pdfs.

Just look for it, rather than just assuming that there is none ;)

Enjoy :)

CU

SaM

Ryzom, we dare to be different.
    Do you dare to adapt?
  • AeralinAeralin Member Posts: 8

I'm a Ryzom player of years on and off, and while I agree that the UI leaves a bit to be desired, this is the only MMO I can really sink my teeth into.  Once you are off of Silan (Newbie Island), the whole of Atys opens up to you.  Solo, the game can be difficult, but, in a guild, there is always something to do or someone to play with.  The Dev team is consistently working to provide us new content, via either physical content like a new Kitin Layer and boss or an Event Team that plays events with the players.  PvP is consensual except in areas like Prime Roots, where you can openly attack someone due to an involuntary PvP tag, although most players respect the tag's involuntary nature.  Outposts(OPs) which give elite materials and XP doubling Catalyzers are fought over consistently providing consensual PvP with purpose.

Atys is a wide-open world that constantly changes.  We have seasons, weather, interactive mobs, materials that are based on weather and season.  All of these are completely unique to Ryzom. 

The trick to Ryzom's Sandbox nature is to develop your own storyline.  My guild was involved in a poltical Alliance until very recently, which changed the way Kamis throughout Atys fought in OP wars.  We left the Alliance, which left several guilds with undefendable OPs.  While we still have unofficial alliances with ally guilds, there are Kamis throughout Atys who consider us a public enemy.  Sandbox is what you make it, so make it something!