Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: The Exiled Realm of Arborea: GDC 2010: First Look Preview

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

MMORPG.com's Garrett Fuller got a look at En Masse Entertainment's action packed MMOG TERA at this year's Game Developers Conference and reports back with the details in the this first look preview.

This week at GDC we got a chance to see En Masse Entertainment’s newest AAA MMO TERA. The game has been known for a while and is currently in its third closed beta in Korea. It is currently being worked on to bring over to the Western audience as well. TERA is a new subscription based MMO that offers lush graphics and intense action MMO gameplay. The core development team previously worked on Lineage II, and with TERA they are seeking to develop an MMO that can crossover and bridge the gap between Eastern and Western tastes.

Read the full preview here.

Comments

• MoodsorMoodsor Member UncommonPosts: 712

Nevermind :) Thanks for the preview.

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535

I get all tingly when I read more about this game.

• snowmirkosnowmirko Member Posts: 13

I only have one word for Tera Dev team.. Thieves!

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I ditched AION and went back to L2. This looks like it may actually replace L2 in the 'gorgeous grinder' slot of my MMO gaming list.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728
    Originally posted by Heretique

Love....

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• viddsterviddster Member UncommonPosts: 220

Nono, the code was just lying around unattended. It just happended to be alot like the Lineage code. ;)

• KilorTheMeekKilorTheMeek Member Posts: 260

Def looking forward to this, and I get more excited for its release with every new preview. 

If what they say about dodge and parry being determined by player movements instead of stats is accurate, that will make combat (especially PvP) much more challenging and fun.  I also love that you have to aim... that'll definitely be an equalizer in ranged vs. melee combat.

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
  • jokergulfjokergulf Member Posts: 71

Looks cool and all, but when are they going to stop putting females in battle situations wearing platforms and stilettos?

"Dangit...sorry guys, I'll have to sit this round out...just broke another heel."

• bumfmanbumfman Member Posts: 276
    Originally posted by Heretique

I got that same feeling when i heard about Aion :) . ... ended up being an itch tho .. dont scratch it . .. wont never heal if ya do :)

Work hard Play Harder

• RipclawRipclaw Member UncommonPosts: 190
    Originally posted by KilorTheMeek

Def looking forward to this, and I get more excited for its release with every new preview. 
    If what they say about dodge and parry being determined by player movements instead of stats is accurate, that will make combat (especially PvP) much more challenging and fun.  I also love that you have to aim... that'll definitely be an equalizer in ranged vs. melee combat.

The whole dodging/parry thing done threw movements, as well as the no clicking fast pasted combat is actually becoming a huge trend with current Korean made MMO's. C9, Mabinogi: Heroes, and Dragon Nest have all adapted this new play system. So get ready to see allot more of it coming over this year and next. ;)

I gotta say though, out of all of them, TERA for sure looks the best, but that's because it's pay 2 play, While the others are free /w item malls. But it's also great, because even for F2P, they still look and play really well.

I'm guessing Blade & Soul will have a similar combat system also, judging by the preview vids. Or atleast I hope so. :)

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

Lineage 3 code at its best :) But seriously looks like a decent grinder. 

• KilorTheMeekKilorTheMeek Member Posts: 260
    Originally posted by Frostbite05

I'm hoping they got enough Blizzard guys on staff to not make it a full on Korean-style grind fest... I don't mind the occasional grind, but the grind in like Aion is just too much.  Maybe the former Blizz guys can get their $0.02 in and create some sort of middle ground with a moderate grind, but majority of leveling done via questing...

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
    Originally posted by KilorTheMeek

I'm hoping they got enough Blizzard guys on staff to not make it a full on Korean-style grind fest... I don't mind the occasional grind, but the grind in like Aion is just too much.  Maybe the former Blizz guys can get their $0.02 in and create some sort of middle ground with a moderate grind, but majority of leveling done via questing...

Same can't really understand how people like to mindlessly grind through different zones but everyone is different I suppose.

• WarpHunterWarpHunter Member Posts: 147

Been following the progress of this game for several months. Glad to see they have a US presence so we dont have to worry that it will be a Korean only game.  Whether or not it is the stolen Lineage 3 code doesnt really concern me. Besides, these developers were the ones working on that code before they left or got fired from NCsoft so were they really stealing it or just taking what they had worked on and felt was theirs to take?

Warp

• Miles-ProwerMiles-Prower Member Posts: 1,106

I can't wait to play this game. It looks so awesome!

~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can!

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!
  • illanadanillanadan Member Posts: 314
    Originally posted by jokergulf

Looks cool and all, but when are they going to stop putting females in battle situations wearing platforms and stilettos?
    "Dangit...sorry guys, I'll have to sit this round out...just broke another heel."

LOL. Thats a selling point though!

I want to be excited for TERA, I really do, but I am at the point of not putting any faith into any game until I have chance to play it. Been burned WAY to many times these last..... 5-6 years. ** Looking at you Cryptic, SOE, NCSoft, 90% of game developers **

- Case: Thermaltake Kandalf Black Chassis
    - CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz (OC'd 4.2GHz on Water Cooling)
    - Memory: Mushkin 8Gb (4x 2Gb) DDR3 1600Mhz
    - HDD: Dual Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM
    - GFX: (2) XFX Radeon HD 5870 in CrossFire - New upgrade! :)

"I like wow, I like aion and I like AoC all for different reasons.....the later cause i get to see boobs, but still its a reason!!" - Sawlstone

• OtachOtach Member UncommonPosts: 74

I like the way the combat of this game is looking. I was looking at some videos on youtube, and not only is it fast paced, but it seems just generally innovative for MMO's. It shows a guy swinging his word, and upon getting closer to the player, the sword begins to hit the other player. As in, he's swinging his sword... without anyone actually in range of his hits. This reminds me a great deal of the ways single player Zelda-like RPGs work, and their fighting mechanics, and excites me a great deal that this kind of combat will be in an mmo.

Take a peek.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079

This is a good article!

About the L3 source code...I don't really care that they stole it. Lineage 3 had been shelved and sent into re-development, and sent to a different team at that point, so a couple years of work just went down the drain for these guys. I don't blame them for taking it and making it into something!

Brian Knox gave an interview about the game a couple of weeks ago, and said there is over 55 zones, and you can quest all the way to the level cap without mindlessly grinding mobs. But the game is more group focused than other games, so while there are solo quests, the best stuff is earned through grouping and honestly I think that's a pretty good idea in order to help form a much more stable community by getting everyone to work together more frequently. There's a very robust LFG system in development in order to help form groups and they are hoping to steer away from the "holy trinity" requirement for groups, although I'm sure it'll help to have them. I have said it before and I'll say it again please join the official TERA community on the website and leave your feedback on the forums!

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

What? No pictures of sexily clad females?

whats sad is that some of you don't care that they stole the code. First of they did work on it while working for ncsoft the code still belongs to ncsoft they were just making it for them. Also no idea if its true or not but glad to see there will be a new awesome graphic grinder to replace L2. 

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

whats sad is that some of you don't care that they stole the code. First of they did work on it while working for ncsoft the code still belongs to ncsoft they were just making it for them. Also no idea if its true or not but glad to see there will be a new awesome graphic grinder to replace L2. 

Lawyers and judges get paid to worry about stuff like that.  I'm a gamer, not an armchair lawyer.  

Don't tell me about the labor, Show me the baby!

• ArshoonArshoon Member UncommonPosts: 71

Oversized weapons.

Heavily combat oriented.

Everyone is beautiful.

A 'cute' race.

Not much really in customization except the usual fare (hair, skin color and faces).

Typical Oriental/Korean MMO design. Nothing new here.

No thank you.

If you aren't actively part of the solution, you have no right to complain about anything.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Deathstrike2

Lawyers and judges get paid to worry about stuff like that.  I'm a gamer, not an armchair lawyer.  

Don't tell me about the labor, Show me the baby!

Lawyers and judges got paid did the worry work on this stuff.People got fined and fired,judgments were made,NCSoft is satisfied and TERA was allowed to continue development.The onyl people who don't consider this ancient history are forum posters lol .

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by Arshoon

Oversized weapons.
    Heavily combat oriented.
    Everyone is beautiful.
    A 'cute' race.
    Not much really in customization except the usual fare (hair, skin color and faces).
    Typical Oriental/Korean MMO design. Nothing new here.
    No thank you.

I really wonder why people like you do yourselves such a disfavor by potentially missing out on a great game because of cultural bias.

Every mmorpg is heavily combat oriented. You're making assumptions about customization.

Typical korean MMO design and nothing new here? What a ridiculous statement. Even with the little information available it is very obvious the game plays nothing like a typical korean MMO.

• Toquio3Toquio3 Member Posts: 1,074

Look at the swords every male character is using on that screenshot.

*yawn*, Next!

If you stand VERY still, and close your eyes, after a minute you can actually FEEL the universe revolving around PvP.