Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lore, PVP, mechanics.. new Interview

KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

now: GW2 (11 80s).
Dark Souls 2.
future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
"Bro, do your even fractal?"
Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

Comments

• illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614

enjoyed. :)

finally something new to munch on
    though i think this is not yet the official press release for game mechanics

juz some of the things i got:
    * race-specific skills are weaker than prof skills
    * weapons restricted to prof, multiple profs have access to a certain weapon type but not all
    * browser-based chat links to ingame guild chat
    * character-based guild membership instead of GW1 account-based membership
    * guild calendar
    * some lore info abt Norn , Charr and Asura

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

i find it a shame that they argument that the choose "the server solution" to build community. Not because i don't see the problems that they are trying to address.

Its just not my ekperience that the server solution fix it. And the drawback is huge , especial for a F2P game where playing doesnt have to be that regular. Some of GW1 huge strength was that ALL friends past , present and future was always accessable.  And having messed with WOW and WAR servers i truly miss playing with allmy GW friends from all over the world. And not instead dealing with transfers, halv  empty servers and real life friends being torned about witch server to join and witch cirkel of friends to let down. 

Now i am not saying that, there isn't some way around this , and i truly hope that developers have there clues about that , because mindless copying the standard server model is NOT what i see as progress in the MMO world today. But that might just be me.

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

Am I the only one that didn't like the non-single server approach and the one guild per character too?

I liked the single server approach because of the open full possibilities feeling (heard the transfer between servers will be easier than in other MMOs, but that remains to be seen, *cough* server transfer fees *cough*). This guy I got to know on the forums, facebook, old acquaintance that I recently restored contact or whatever other off-game way of meeting players will 100% surely be playing at the same server I am.

The one guild per character was great, not because of the limitation, but because how clean I felt to not having to check which character is an alt and who is the main, all wasting guild slots (be that limited or not). I hope they at least let us have this option of joining a guild with our character or with our account or something like that (for example, joining a same guild with multiple character from a same account would make that count as one member). 

• illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614

yeah i like the current server setup for GW1
    but we do not know the full mechanics of WvW and PvP and the whole game for that matter
    ANet may have a good reason why they changed their server setup
    but we will not know that till launch
    the single server setup is possible for GW1 because it is highly instanced
    it might not be the same for a persistent world GW2

they did promise that server transfers easier than current mmos
    and i dont think that there will be server transfer fees if they stick to their promise

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

I liked the guild per account. I need more information why they did it guild per character.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

There was a clarification by an ANet community representitive. One of the threads on this forum have that, let me repost it here.

Originally Posted by Martin Kerstein View Post

"Aaaand some more clarifications on some points:

•Having characters in more than one guild is optional, not mandatory.

•All characters in a guild on the same account are considered to be one member when showing up on the guild list.

•Additional characters will not require an additional invite to join the same guild as another character on the account."

They are just providing more options.

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

About the 1 character or accont based guild membership. 

Its hard to be against more options. ;) but sometimes they lead to alot of confussion and allows trouble.

In other games i have longed for a lastname/surname tied to the account to avoid misshap and multiple guild membership chaos. 

maybe it could be solution here aswell

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819
    Originally posted by jondifool

About the 1 character or accont based guild membership. 
    Its hard to be against more options. ;) but sometimes they lead to alot of confussion and allows trouble.
    In other games i have longed for a lastname/surname tied to the account to avoid misshap and multiple guild membership chaos. 
    maybe it could be solution here aswell

Its not as big of a deal as people are trying to make it. Our Toons all get seprate Storylines and Guild Rosters. Its not confussing as you seem to allow it.

Since Players have the option to also make Guild Ajustments Account Bound. So basically players who are lazy at invites dont have to do anything other then join a single character. AKA the same damn system as before.

• sanskritsanskrit Member UncommonPosts: 95

Have never liked pvp games where one character on an account can be on one side or in one guild, and another character can be on the other side or in another guild. Ruins the immersion for me when I know that jackasses will join the other side or other guilds on purpose to spy on strategy or builds. I hope they don't go through with this.

I remember this is one of the key issues that spoiled AO and Shadowbane PvP. People would keep different accounts or characters on each side so they could always be on the "winning team." I remember being out farming and leveling in Shadowbane and having a guild member log off, then suddenly there is a thief making a very exact circuit between all the places the guild was farming or leveling. Truly obnoxious play that spoils the game.

Of course there is always the dual account issue, but it at least takes some effort and cash to be a dual sided jackass in that way.

• SweetZoidSweetZoid Member Posts: 437

Why would you like to have your characters on different guilds? Its just stupid. I understand if you want a character guildless and one in a guild..but not on different guilds.

• knighthonorknighthonor Member Posts: 96
    Originally posted by sanskrit

Have never liked pvp games where one character on an account can be on one side or in one guild, and another character can be on the other side or in another guild. Ruins the immersion for me when I know that jackasses will join the other side or other guilds on purpose to spy on strategy or builds. I hope they don't go through with this.
    I remember this is one of the key issues that spoiled AO and Shadowbane PvP. People would keep different accounts or characters on each side so they could always be on the "winning team." I remember being out farming and leveling in Shadowbane and having a guild member log off, then suddenly there is a thief making a very exact circuit between all the places the guild was farming or leveling. Truly obnoxious play that spoils the game.
    Of course there is always the dual account issue, but it at least takes some effort and cash to be a dual sided jackass in that way.

RvR in GW is Server vs Server not faction vs faction.  (this can change tho)

• kaedexkaedex Member Posts: 23

way to turn gw's like any other mmo..

we can pvp with any player in the entire game, will we be confined to the people on each server now ? :

they seem to be changing everything that made guild wars great, what a shame imo.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578
    Originally posted by kaedex

way to turn gw's like any other mmo..

we can pvp with any player in the entire game, will we be confined to the people on each server now ? :

they seem to be changing everything that made guild wars great, what a shame imo.

Before we jump to conclusions we should wait until more information is available. A lot of what has been said is just speculation or wishes from interested players.