Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Could Earthrise be what SWG player always wanted?

Earthrise is a new MMO which is alot about PVP and the crafting system sounds alot like the resource quality based one SWG once had. And you can fight about and control the resource locations. I think that might really be my next game. Just thought you might be interested, as the new Star Wars game will probably be the next WOW clone...

Comments

• royalewitroyalewit Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by bobby_14

Earthrise is a new MMO which is alot about PVP and the crafting system sounds alot like the resource quality based one SWG once had. And you can fight about and control the resource locations. I think that might really be my next game. Just thought you might be interested, as the new Star Wars game will probably be the next WOW clone...

It's the next big thing for me.  I hope it lives up to it, I'm really bored of everything else I've been playing.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

It was on my radar months back...is it nearing release finally? It certainly looks like a decent design, but until anything is tested and played, it can look good on paper *cough* Global Agenda *cough* ;)

• Toquio3Toquio3 Member Posts: 1,074

I hope so. SWG nostalgia should go. Its getting pretty sad.

*crosses fingers that Earthrise delivers*

If you stand VERY still, and close your eyes, after a minute you can actually FEEL the universe revolving around PvP.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

I remember SWG as a very relaxed social game. One of the best parts of the game for me was meeting new people and just living in the universe with new found friends.

From what i've read about Earthrise it will have some pretty hardcore pvp with partial Item loss.

I don't know if a old Swg player like myself is looking for that type of gameplay.

Earthrise seems to be targetting Eve and Anarchy Online fans.

From all the sandbox games only two games give me the social freedom, fallen earth and Ryzom.

I guess ill have to wait and see.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• DraccanDraccan Member Posts: 1,050
    Originally posted by Toquio3

I hope so. SWG nostalgia should go. Its getting pretty sad.
    *crosses fingers that Earthrise delivers*

What is sad is that pretty much every mmo these days are epic fails.

Aion didn't deliver, Lotro is just a glorified theme park, Global agenda is not an mmo, Darkfall and Mortal Online are hollow experiences, SWToR is another themepark - hold your hand game, not real mmo. Gods and Heroes was cancelled before launch (and will now be released after a long while with little new development despite the flaws), CoH is dated, CO was another failure on so many levels incl. the fact it can be soloed and all get all skills so no one is special = bad group dynamics, STO is a joke, WAR a huge failure on all levels incl. pvp, AoC - the best game since SWG is still flawed with broken sieges...

Who can deliver an interesting game world where crafters and pvp'ers and pve'ers live side by side and offer stimuli for socializing? Where there is a real player economy. The only game I can think of is EVE.

There is a huge need for a game that caters not just to one crowd but include all sorts of gameplay and encourages socializing. Esp. one that is finished at release in a proper fashion.

So this is not about nostalgia for SWG - it is about the fact that the mmo genre is broken with greedy companies trying to cash in on the subscription model and with very few caring the least bit for customers. Most other businesses would have been sued and changed their ways.

Ironically the most interesting mmos in the next few years will be

• Blizzards new mmo (hoping they go sandbox)
    • The Secret World (hoping they purge the old PR guys and get their shit together)
    • Earthrise (if they can improve since the videos released, lately all we get is interviews since the failure of those videos)
    • Copernicus (if they don't go all single-player now + can afford to finish what they started with no rush!)
    • 40k - nothing is known, but one can only hope, this IP is HUGE (okay so was WAR *sigh*)

Upcoming failures:

• SW ToR - already failing the mmo crowd with their linear gameplay and "stories" forced down your throat
    • Final Fantasy XIV - another kiddy game with no real pvp
    • Black Prophecy --> free to play = cash shop = FAIL
    • DC - do we need another bland superhero mmo with sub-par graphics to bleed another IP?
    • The Agency - *jeeez* - anyone care for this? Really? SOE blows.
    • Mortal online - already failed, shouldn't even be on this list

Undecided:

• Guild Wars 2 - very possible this can go both ways
    • APB - looks great but can they deliver on the gameplay??
    • Jumpgate - could the long break done wonders with them? Most likely another stinker, but one can hope..

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452
    Originally posted by bobby_14

WOW Clone?

Look maybe it will be and maybe it won't be, but nobody has played it yet so why label it already?

Even sight unseen I'm willing to bet it's going to be more than just another WOW clone...I'm sure it won't be for everybody, but what is nowadays?

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

I havent followed this game closely, but what I have seen of it, does look interesting. If they can pull off the crafting system similar to what SWG had as well as open world PvP, open world raiding and player housing, I would definitly try it out.

• HarabeckHarabeck Member Posts: 616
    Originally posted by Murashu

I havent followed this game closely, but what I have seen of it, does look interesting. If they can pull off the crafting system similar to what SWG had as well as open world PvP, open world raiding and player housing, I would definitly try it out.

Unfortunately no player housing at launch (but there are guild constructed bases). As for open world raiding, well there are no instances so everything is open world. I don't know enough about SWG to compare the crafting.

• royalewitroyalewit Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by Murashu

I was thinking about it today, and one of the biggest successes of SWG's crafting system is the dynamic spawns of unique resources.  No game that I know of has come close to enabling this extreme amount of differential and customization between different players' crafted products.

One of my favorite things to do in SWG when I logged on would be to send out my survey droids, just to see what kind of new valuable stuff might have spawned since I last played.  Then of course, hunting it down, sampling it and either trashing it or spending the next couple hours finding a good spot to plant some heavies on.  Or hiring a ranger to start raking in the creature resources for me which he could offer to my vendor at a reasonable price.

The fact that dewback hides (or any other resource in the game) could be worth 10cpu one week and then 40cpu the next week made for a very dynamic and vibrant economy.  And incredibly interesting gameplay, as everyone fought to keep up with the latest and greatest spawns while negotiating the best price they could get.

It blows my mind every time I think back to how cool it was.  I remember the excitement it would create on the forums when a new spawn of really good materials were discovered and everyone's prices started to adjust for it.

I can't figure out--how come every single aspect of MMOs seem to get copied by the next game in line, yet nobody has ever bothered to copy off of what is widely considered the best crafting system ever?

Rollback, SOE.  I'll resubscribe tomorrow. 

• IzureIzure Member Posts: 518

One can hope it can replace the Pre-cu SWG, Until earthrise comes out and is completed( non beta release) I will be playing swgemu, it is totally legal, I just bought all SWg for 20 dollars( you need it to run swgemu( pre-cu server)) not only is it  Pre-CU but they created it from scratch over again, and can modify the broken/missing content from the first Pre-CU I think.

• OtachOtach Member UncommonPosts: 74

What I liked the most about SWG is it truly felt like a Massive world (and many of them.)

The worlds were so big, you had to buy shuttle tickets to ride between cities.. and there were many many cities on a single world, not to mention player cities. without shuttles, it would take 10-15+ minutes of driving STRAIGHT to ride between even some of the closest cities on your speeder. Before they implemented speeders, it took HOURS.

The reason I LOVED this, is because it was just so well incorperated that it was unbelieveable. what do I mean by this?

Player housing.

Just imagine, the vast, enormous world of SWG. You're out in the middle of nowhere grinding some mobs, and you spot a beautiful area of scenery. Just breathtaking. You open your inventory and click your house deed. Construction Lines go up. Within 5 minutes, you have a house of your own, in an area you discovered on your own, and the only way people would be likely to find it, is if you gave them the waypoint..

Let me express my excitement further:

In my Bounty-Hunting days on SWG, I had a particularily awesome encounter. I picked a Jedi mission (You hunted player Jedi for money as a BH) and started heading out. Tracked him. Drove to the middle of nowhere, where he apparently was... he was there, grinding next to a set of mobs on Talus (a desert-like planet), and his house was right next to him.

It was literally like the wild fucking west. We had a show down right next to his house. I lost.

but I forever remember this moment,

..because in good games, moments like these are created by situation, not the dev's setting this shit up for you. The situations are created by great game structure which allowed for unlimited possibilities during gaming. SWG had this.

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386
    Originally posted by royalewit

I was thinking about it today, and one of the biggest successes of SWG's crafting system is the dynamic spawns of unique resources.  No game that I know of has come close to enabling this extreme amount of differential and customization between different players' crafted products.

I agree! My dream game would have the crafting/harvesting system and player cities/housing from SWG, group/raid content from EQ and a PvP system like EVE.

I know, I know, its all a dream.

• shinkanshinkan Member UncommonPosts: 240

Originally posted by Rockgod99
    I remember SWG as a very relaxed social game. One of the best parts of the game for me was meeting new people and just living in the universe with new found friends.

This is one of the great parts of SWG i really liked and miss, but most games nowdays dont seem to put to much work into this part of the games.

Tend to stay away from games with FPS style combat, so I dont know what Fallen Earth is like, but it seems ok.

• SelenicaSelenica Member Posts: 183

There are plenty of social sandbox style MMOs. Just none that mix both the social and combat like SWG did. I went to Second Life after the NGE obliterated my friend list on SWG.

• DarthconnorDarthconnor Member UncommonPosts: 62

I honestly dont believe another games ever gonna get what i liked about precu right. All games today are about shiny rewards and grind fest to get max level and the best gear. Theres really not been (that ive seen) a game that most of the great parts of the game come from after you become full template/max level and got gear. Its all about getting maxed out then theres really nothing to do but wait on next content patch. Precu for me once you got up where you had your template and your gear got fun and getting there didnt take long whether you were casual or hardcore. Had the right guild or good friends and you could get full template in a week of easy play. Didnt have to rush out and try to get this quest or that quest done just played with friends and trained your prof boxes.

Sadly there just isnt seemingly any game that throws you into world with a short level grind and has content pickup like what you did in precu. Running groups for leveling players or just to get hide meat or bone. You could do solo groups for fast cash or just relax and kill a few lairs here and there while getting some mats for a guildie. Most of the gameplay i liked was more about helping out my guild then about questing for some uber item. Getting a legendary weapon was awsome dont get me wrong, but helping out a friend that just hit Jedi and getting him pearls so his saber worked was more fun.

Precu just seemed like alittle work then you get to have fun whereas all games now seem to work you to death before your even close to finding something fun to do. I pay to play a game not have another job with a recess once i get my levels and uber gear. Most new games for me fail cause its all about the grind and theres so little fun in them anymore. Not just mmo but console games are getting the same way.

To each their own but im not holding my breath that any game can do such a great job of having good gameplay that felt more like a fun adventure and less like work.