Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suspicious behaviour from Cryptic/Atari.

12346»

Comments

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by spookydom

Originally posted by Phirmware

Originally posted by Loke666

Every single Star trek game I seen have sucked badly (not to mention the trading card game).

Then you must have never played Star Trek: Bridge Commander.  It was a great game and should have been Cryptic's model for how to handle a Star Trek game.

Bridge Commander and Starfleet Command II,  Only good star trek games ever made imo.

Birth of the Federation and Armada I in there too, but those are old school.

Virtually all the rest were crap.

• MinzarraMinzarra Member UncommonPosts: 11

I love the game, but I fell for the bait and switch.  However, I've been around mmos long enough to know to take a screenie =)

• MinzarraMinzarra Member UncommonPosts: 11

Oops, here's the screenshot:  http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/6549/storipoff.jpg

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264
    Originally posted by Robsolf

Originally posted by Faerin

The sad thing is ALL OF THIS could have just gone away if they came out said..."You guys are right...how could we ignore the fans that supported us...to say thank you for that support we will extend all active subscriptions for 1 free month...allowing you to see our major content patch."
    But instead they said.
    "What deal are you talking about?"

While I agree with the spirit or your post... what company do you know of could eliminate about half of its income for a month and survive?

I can think of two off the top of my head; Funcom and CRS. When Funcom's Anarchy Online launched the game was in nearly an unplayable state, and Funcom stopped the clock on the free trial period for about 3-4 months. AO's launch is often claimed as the worst launch in MMO history, but that is incorrect as WWIIOnline actually had a far worse launch; the two MMOs came out within a couple weeks of each other and AO had more press, so it incorrectly gets the worst launch in MMO history tag.

The truth is, not only did WWIIOnline have an awful server situation at launch (the company that was hosting the servers filed for bankruptcy, and CRS had to go get the servers and try to set something up the night before everyone got the game), but they also had a huge (for that time) launch day patch (70Mb or so), which was the equivalent of the core game engine getting changed from what was on the disk. Nowadays, we don't even blink at patches that size; but for that time period, it was unheard of. Add to that 200,000 players tried to log in on opening day, only to see between 1 - 3 servers up with population caps of 500 maximum (as in only 500 people could be on the server, and even then it was crashing). CRS stopped the clock on their free trial for at least half of a year.

Long story short; Atari and Cryptic could afford to do good by their existing customers and extend the trial time period, they just don't want to.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• WinterizerWinterizer Member Posts: 65

I am so glad I never bought this game

• SoupgoblinSoupgoblin Member Posts: 324

Originally posted by alucard3000

why is it that everytime I tried to click on this thread title in the 10 second list I was redirected to the whole list of forum sub topics eg the pub general discussion etc? I had to manually look for this hehe from the title of the thread it didnt automatically bring me to it like all the others I click do lol.

I had that to, normaly hapens when they are are checking out a reported post or about to weild the ban hammer. Can't see anything wrong with this so far, but do think three threads by the same poster may be a bit excessive. But I would be pissed off to in his place.

If the MMORPG mods want to close the threads I ask that instead the converge them into one.

2 threads were started by me, 1 was this the other was STO forums up in flames, the other was started by another poster.

Really I would love nothing more than for MMORPG to pick up this story. 

That is what we have all been championing the past few days is exposure for this issue.

I am tired and my fingers hurt...I have waged war here, TTH, STO forums, Personal emails to contacts of Atari and Cryptic...I am ready for another to carry on the crusade...

Respectfully,

-Vox

First off, who cares about the offer? Did the offer insult your mother? Did it slap your baby momma around? No, it did you no physical or mental harm.

Wouldn't it be easier just to stop paying them and stop playing the game?

But this vendetta that you have against STO is just stupid, Your post history looks like a one man rage fest.

Dude, step away from the computer, and stay away from MMOs, you obviously can't handle stress very well.

Anyone having rage issues with MMOs should seek help, (http://www.mentalhelp.net/) can get you started on the right path.

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

First off, who cares about the offer? Did the offer insult your mother? Did it slap your baby momma around? No, it did you no physical or mental harm.

But this vendetta that you have against STO is just stupid, Your post history looks like a one man rage fest.

Dude, step away from the computer, and stay away from MMOs, you obviously can't handle stress very well.

Anyone having rage issues with MMOs should seek help, (http://www.mentalhelp.net/) can get you started on the right path.

so you dont mind it when companies rip you off, and think people who do should seek mental help?

please post you e mail address or phone number, i have some stuff i want to sell you!

and after i do please ignore it when i dont actually give you what i charged you for.

after that we can talk some more and ill sell you more stuff if you like!

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Originally posted by Soupgoblin

Originally posted by alucard3000

why is it that everytime I tried to click on this thread title in the 10 second list I was redirected to the whole list of forum sub topics eg the pub general discussion etc? I had to manually look for this hehe from the title of the thread it didnt automatically bring me to it like all the others I click do lol.

I had that to, normaly hapens when they are are checking out a reported post or about to weild the ban hammer. Can't see anything wrong with this so far, but do think three threads by the same poster may be a bit excessive. But I would be pissed off to in his place.

If the MMORPG mods want to close the threads I ask that instead the converge them into one.

2 threads were started by me, 1 was this the other was STO forums up in flames, the other was started by another poster.

Really I would love nothing more than for MMORPG to pick up this story. 

That is what we have all been championing the past few days is exposure for this issue.

I am tired and my fingers hurt...I have waged war here, TTH, STO forums, Personal emails to contacts of Atari and Cryptic...I am ready for another to carry on the crusade...

Respectfully,

-Vox

Yeah, so you got ripped off. Pfff.

I mean, it's not like you actually had to WORK for that money you just threw out the window, right?

• InterestingInteresting Member UncommonPosts: 972

After reading all this thread I conclude.

FRAUD.  nasty one too.

• ericbelserericbelser Member Posts: 783
    Originally posted by Dinendae
    I can think of two off the top of my head; Funcom and CRS. When Funcom's Anarchy Online launched the game was in nearly an unplayable state, and Funcom stopped the clock on the free trial period for about 3-4 months. AO's launch is often claimed as the worst launch in MMO history, but that is incorrect as WWIIOnline actually had a far worse launch; the two MMOs came out within a couple weeks of each other and AO had more press, so it incorrectly gets the worst launch in MMO history tag.
    Long story short; Atari and Cryptic could afford to do good by their existing customers and extend the trial time period, they just don't want to.

While I agree with your overall sentiments (and admit this is a total tangent to the main thread): I feel compelled to chime in here with two points:

WW2OL was a terrible launch, however it is not generally counted as an mmoRPG as there is really no persistence to characters, skill development, role-playing, questing etc involved. Which is why until the fairly recent trend of counting anything with 50+ on a server as an MMO, it wasn't counted in the "worst launches" category. 

Secondly, I believe you are being far too kind to FUNCOM; they'd didn't extend the free month for anything like "3-4 months"; my recollection is that they extended it for an extra month or so then pronounced the game playable and started billing. (For a game that was arguably still barely playable 6 months in)

However, in closing none of this surprises me. Cryptic has become the new king of the "quick buck" MMO. I don't think they give a rats rear-end about their customers or the game so long as they walk away with a solid cash reserve for the next project and happy investors.

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Not sure that this will have too much of a bad effect.

Sure, its a bit of negative PR and Atari as just as much Idiots and to blame as anyone.

But STO does need some good news and soon