Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thank you MMORPG!

MannyManaMannyMana Member UncommonPosts: 121

To all the people who post things about Darkfall: Thank you for making it such a controversial and popular game among MMOs. Right now it is one of the most talked-about games and I have to thank all the random posters that helped advertise this games existence (through either bad or good publicity).

This is not a thread that requires much input. Just a thanks and notice to the success of this game which I am currently playing and enjoying because of all the people playing now.

Whether people like it or not Darkfall is only going to get more popular and expand and get more content and eventually put WoW on the back burner (when was the last post about WoW you have seen on mmorpg forums? I rarely see them anymore).

And to all those that wanna say bad things about this thread and the purpose of it... Go ahead. Just another +1 to the Darkfall counter.

Comments

• XxKnivesxXXxKnivesxX Member UncommonPosts: 188

u just mentioned wow.

wow will never fade/die (:

• AzerinAzerin Member Posts: 170
    Originally posted by XxKnivesxX

u just mentioned wow.

Like that girlfriend we had back in high school who did EVERYTHING on command, all good things will eventually come to an end.

On a side note, I tried DF for a couple of weeks. It was surprisingly fun and different, I only wish I had the time to commit to a game of its nature.

• Drache1985Drache1985 Member Posts: 28

Darkfall will kill WOW and bankrupt Blizzard, take my word on it.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

I was just thinking that lol.Before the trial sparked off renewed battles between the "Haters" and the "Fan bois",Darkfall twas dead on these forums with only the occasional thread surfacing only to be quickly buried.Now it's constantly seen in the Forum Activity section constantly.I lvoe the fact that trolls are possibly helping this game unintentionally lol.

• MannyManaMannyMana Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Originally posted by Drakynn

I was just thinking that lol.Before the trial sparked off renewed battles between the "Haters" and the "Fan bois",Darkfall twas dead on these forums with only the occasional thread surfacing only to be quickly buried.Now it's constantly seen in the Forum Activity section constantly.I lvoe the fact that trolls are possibly helping this game unintentionally lol.

My thoughts exactly!

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681
    Originally posted by Drache1985

As much as I love Darkfall - it will never put a game like Wow out of business. I played Wow for 2 years and most of the Wow players will never go to Darkfall - it's just simply to dangerous and non care-bear like for them. 

Now...if Darkfall would start a PVE server (unlikely) with safe areas and update the graphics  - maybe. Wow is like the eBay of MMO's - it's just gotten so big and so many people want to play in a busy game...it's not gonna go away.

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• OtachOtach Member UncommonPosts: 74

I dunno man. The thing that steers me away from DFO is just the fact that I dont have as much time to enjoy MMO's anymore due to school and music and such, so I cant dedicate 3+ months to grinding up to get my skills on a worthwhile level. I actually really liked Darkfall.

too bad.. maybe I should re-sub and just keep my guy macro'd all night every night till I can compete.. cuz the game was kinda fun... just... yeah... not enough time ..

• PlasmicredxPlasmicredx Member Posts: 629

Actually there were people talking about the new WoW Skill Mastery change coming to Cata today.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Originally posted by echolynfan

As much as I love Darkfall - it will never put a game like Wow out of business. I played Wow for 2 years and most of the Wow players will never go to Darkfall - it's just simply to dangerous and non care-bear like for them. 

Now...if Darkfall would start a PVE server (unlikely) with safe areas and update the graphics  - maybe. Wow is like the eBay of MMO's - it's just gotten so big and so many people want to play in a busy game...it's not gonna go away.

Don't take it too seriously. Remarks regarding "killing WoW" is mainly a way to say "this game is so good" nowadays. We all know no game will ever kill WoW other than WoW/Blizzard itself.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Forum post might get some people to try the game out but it wont make them stay. Only fun gameplay makes people stay and that is something MMORPG.com have no control over.

A good community also helps of course and the game do have some bad rep because a few of the worse trolls here plays it. Some of the better people too but I am not so sure most remembers the nice fellows as much as the trolls so i doubt that the game really earns so much of being in the middle of a flame war.

Personally I think it gets kinda even, some people hear about the game and try it out, others remembers a few trolls and stay far away from it. So I think the whole war is pointless.

You like the game, play it. You don't, find something that fits you better. It is ok to say your opinion on a forum but posting the same thing over and over is just a waste of yours and others time. Same goes for all games.

• rygar218rygar218 Member UncommonPosts: 332

u just mentioned wow.

Thats what they said about eq 1.

WoW will come and go. Just dunno when. Hopefully when FF 14 comes out, Terra, and/or Star Wars The Old Republic. Then again maybe the Genre will die.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Even if WoW was shut down tomorrow I doubt it would effect the long term success/failure of DFO. I just doubt 9 million gold farmers would find anything attractive about getting owned whenever they're out trying to gold farm!

[Mod edit]

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• GolominGolomin Member Posts: 141
    Originally posted by rygar218

u just mentioned wow.

WoW will come and go. Just dunno when. Hopefully when FF 14 comes out, Terra, and/or Star Wars The Old Republic. Then again maybe the Genre will die.

EQ1 is owned by SOE, not Blizzard. There is a big difference in Blizzard's games in comparison to most game companies in the industry. Starcraft, Warcraft 3, and Diablo 2 are still considered the most popular RTS and RPG genre of games on the market. They aren't going anywhere until a sequel is made. What makes World Of Warcraft so much better is the fact that they release an expansion every year on top of their long lasting games.

So, no.. World of Warcraft is not going anywhere until a Starcraft MMO or some other MMORPG is created by Blizzard. Until then, they'll probably keep creating expansions and additional content like all MMORPGs should be doing.

The only reason there isn't a game that will topple any of Blizzard's franchises is because there simply isn't a game company out there with such a great track record of nothing but quality content. Bioware comes close, but they have released some bad eggs just like any other company. I wish more companies would pick up on their progress and learn a few things.

• DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

Originally posted by MadnessRealm
    Originally posted by echolynfan
    Originally posted by Drache1985 Darkfall will kill WOW and bankrupt Blizzard, take my word on it.

Don't take it too seriously. Remarks regarding "killing WoW" is mainly a way to say "this game is so good" nowadays. We all know no game will ever kill WoW other than WoW/Blizzard itself.

I could not imagine that Drache1985 was being sarcastic. Surely Drache was saying it was good. Of course it is not sarcasm.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Agricola1

[Mod Edit]

Wow isn't really targeting the same players anyways. If Wow went down games like LOTRO, EQ2 and similar would probably get a good boost of the ratings.

I think DFO would do better by advertising to FPS players than to Wow players, Both Wow and DFO might be MMOs but they just isn't close enough.

• shylock1079shylock1079 Member Posts: 158

I find posts like this are a conundrum.  First..it is obviously bait.  Second 20-30 people repeatedly fall for it including myself.  So let's break down what makes a post like this work.  The obvious logical fallacy of "My game is best! Will kill your game!"  I believe this to be a A+B naturally = Q.  Or an Affirming consequence.  Because people talk about the game it has made truckloads of money off the added attention.  The OP never allows other variables such as it could be because they also just opened up the trial and people are able to try it out at last.  Making a strong frontal statement pulls in the majority of players (who aren't, btw playing DFO) and challenges what they like.  Very well constructed.  

One thing some people don't acknowledge is the game is niche.  You can tell that within the first few seconds of playing.  It's like Linux; only for certain people who have a disdain for Windows will use it. But year after year, Windows posts more users. Casual gamers (which are plentiful) will play perhaps for the sake of trying something new..but it is not for them and the subs will probably not last.  WoW is for the masses and no amount of DFO, or AoC, or MO, or anything else will cause their hold to dwindle.  The only hope we have is that someone comes out with a better version that is quick to learn, has mass appeal, and yet something we've seen before in more complex terms, yet dumbed down for us here.  I don't know...Twilight Online?

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

if WoW die only 1 thing will happen, ppl will have to change to other games and that means change the play style because no game can fulfill the hole that wow leave

BestSigEver :P

• SwoogieSwoogie Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Originally posted by Plasmicredx

Actually there were people talking about the new WoW Skill Mastery change coming to Cata today.

rofl I made that post.

THere is still plenty of WoW activity though it is mainly angry old school gamerz

You cant base WoW's life expectancy on how much activity is gets on any given forum.  But if Xfire numbers decline, TONs of activity goes down on 90% of gaming forums that discuss it and sales slow  and plus other things I cant think of like sharp decrease in subs , then I think we can say that it is beginging its slow dethroneing (is that a word?) phase. Though this aint happening soon because all the the immature people like to play it too much. When i go to a city i intsantly /leave trade becuase its nothing but annoying trolls

• solocronosolocrono Member Posts: 173
    Originally posted by shylock1079

I find posts like this are a conundrum.  First..it is obviously bait.  Second 20-30 people repeatedly fall for it including myself.  So let's break down what makes a post like this work.  The obvious logical fallacy of "My game is best! Will kill your game!"  I believe this to be a A+B naturally = Q.  Or an Affirming consequence.  Because people talk about the game it has made truckloads of money off the added attention.  The OP never allows other variables such as it could be because they also just opened up the trial and people are able to try it out at last.  Making a strong frontal statement pulls in the majority of players (who aren't, btw playing DFO) and challenges what they like.  Very well constructed.  

One thing some people don't acknowledge is the game is niche.  You can tell that within the first few seconds of playing.  It's like Linux; only for certain people who have a disdain for Windows will use it. But year after year, Windows posts more users. Casual gamers (which are plentiful) will play perhaps for the sake of trying something new..but it is not for them and the subs will probably not last.  WoW is for the masses and no amount of DFO, or AoC, or MO, or anything else will cause their hold to dwindle.  The only hope we have is that someone comes out with a better version that is quick to learn, has mass appeal, and yet something we've seen before in more complex terms, yet dumbed down for us here.  I don't know...Twilight Online?

The way you built that last sentence up made me laugh.  :)

• tehikktehikk Member Posts: 497

I enjoyed DFO, but it will never gain WoW's popularity, it'll be luck if it gets up to an EVE status.

Why?

Because you need to repeatedly kill the same creature over and over and over again.

And because at any moment you could be attacked, looted and kicked right back to the start.

Honestly, I'd be fine with ganking if skill was actually a factor in it, in DFO you get hit twice and die.

Only once did I manage to kill someone who was way better than me, and only out of luck.

Really, WoW is a different beast compared to DFO, a beast people like more because it's less likely to bite you.

The only way to truly make a Skill Based MMO is to remove the need to level up combat skills such as archery, melee and magic.

Skill levels for everything is fine, even health.

"The question that sometimes drives me hazy: Am I, or the others crazy?" - Albert Einstein

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by MannyMana
    To all the people who post things about Darkfall: Thank you for making it such a controversial and popular game among MMOs. Right now it is one of the most talked-about games and I have to thank all the random posters that helped advertise this games existence (through either bad or good publicity).
    This is not a thread that requires much input. Just a thanks and notice to the success of this game which I am currently playing and enjoying because of all the people playing now.
    Whether people like it or not Darkfall is only going to get more popular and expand and get more content and eventually put WoW on the back burner (when was the last post about WoW you have seen on mmorpg forums? I rarely see them anymore).
    And to all those that wanna say bad things about this thread and the purpose of it... Go ahead. Just another +1 to the Darkfall counter.

Go back to Darkfall!

Damn, I like it.

• rygar218rygar218 Member UncommonPosts: 332
    Originally posted by Golomin

Originally posted by rygar218

u just mentioned wow.

EQ1 is owned by SOE, not Blizzard. There is a big difference in Blizzard's games in comparison to most game companies in the industry. Starcraft, Warcraft 3, and Diablo 2 are still considered the most popular RTS and RPG genre of games on the market. They aren't going anywhere until a sequel is made. What makes World Of Warcraft so much better is the fact that they release an expansion every year on top of their long lasting games.

So, no.. World of Warcraft is not going anywhere until a Starcraft MMO or some other MMORPG is created by Blizzard. Until then, they'll probably keep creating expansions and additional content like all MMORPGs should be doing.

The only reason there isn't a game that will topple any of Blizzard's franchises is because there simply isn't a game company out there with such a great track record of nothing but quality content. Bioware comes close, but they have released some bad eggs just like any other company. I wish more companies would pick up on their progress and learn a few things.

I think you need to come to grips that nothing in this world lasts forever.

I think Spock said it best when he said "All things come to an end."

SoE wasn't a bad company until Star Wars Galaxies. Not to mention SoE split their player base into 3 halves. Eq1 Eq2 and Star Wars Galaxies. RIght now Blizzard hasn't made that mistake.

WoW has had its place, and its going to be a good run for sure. However, it won't last forever something better will come along doesn't matter how many expansions you release. Look at EQ1 and all of its expansions.

• ChaosIncChaosInc Member Posts: 112

What makes World Of Warcraft so much better is the fact that they release an expansion every year on top of their long lasting games.

2 expansions/5 years = 1 expansion/year?
    Did I fail math at some point and not realize it?

NEWS FLASH! PAYING THE SUB IN F2P = NO DIFFERENCE THAN P2P GAMES!

Why the hell can't the whiners comprehend this?

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

LOL. god i love these forums. 

• illanadanillanadan Member Posts: 314

** Pulls self off floor from laughing so hard **

Only Blizzard will kill WoW. There is NO WAY a niche game like this can. Heck, even Aion has higher sub numbers.

- Case: Thermaltake Kandalf Black Chassis
    - CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz (OC'd 4.2GHz on Water Cooling)
    - Memory: Mushkin 8Gb (4x 2Gb) DDR3 1600Mhz
    - HDD: Dual Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM
    - GFX: (2) XFX Radeon HD 5870 in CrossFire - New upgrade! :)

"I like wow, I like aion and I like AoC all for different reasons.....the later cause i get to see boobs, but still its a reason!!" - Sawlstone