Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

SWTOR to miss Spring launch window?

EA’s confirmed that BioWare’s Star Wars MMO, The Old Republic, won’t make the publisher’s next financial year, casting a previous “spring 2011″ release date into serious doubt. Speaking in EA’s Q3 earnings call last night, CFO Eric Brown said the game won’t ship in the 12 months ending March 31, 2011. “We are not assuming that we bring a major new MMO to market in fiscal ‘11. We will continue to increase significant development cost as we prepare this title for launch,” he said.

More through the link

get your 7 day FREE sub to SWTOR
http://www.swtor.com/r/7DDKjQ

Comments

  • JeroKaneJeroKane OsloPosts: 5,353Member Uncommon

    Maybe... just maybe... They finally get the hint and started waking up.

    Especially now a big IP Title like STO is going down in flames... it must have given them a signal that people are trully fed up and demand high quality games and not unfinished, shallow crap.

    About time really. About friggin' time!

  • KickphatKickphat Cincinnati, OHPosts: 189Member

    if you read the whole story you would know that EA's 2011 financial year starts in April of 2010 and ends in march of 2011

  • MoiraeMoirae New Orleans, LAPosts: 2,745Member Uncommon

    Thats fine. I'd rather have a delayed release where they get things right and it be good, than have it rushed and sucky like Cryptic did with Star Trek.

  • WickedjellyWickedjelly Yahoo, COPosts: 4,990Member

    It wouldn't be surprising if they did.  It isn't like many games meet their first announced launch window often anyways.

    1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

    2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

    3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

  • TJ_420TJ_420 london, KYPosts: 224Member
    Originally posted by Guillermo197


    Maybe... just maybe... They finally get the hint and started waking up.
    Especially now a big IP Title like STO is going down in flames... it must have given them a signal that people are trully fed up and demand high quality games and not unfinished, shallow crap.
    About time really. About friggin' time!

     

    I hope you're right bro.

    These new games really are utter garbage. You can even more or less tell that they were made ONLY for money and not by Devs who love the genre.

    We need to send a wake up call .... So lets not all pre order this kk? =P

  • ComnitusComnitus Williamsburg, VAPosts: 2,462Member

    "Spring" is a general term. So what if they don't ship in FY11? They can ship in April, which is still "spring", but it's also FY12.

    image

  • BetaguyBetaguy Halifax, NSPosts: 2,590Member
    Originally posted by DarthMaulUK


    EA’s confirmed that BioWare’s Star Wars MMO, The Old Republic, won’t make the publisher’s next financial year, casting a previous “spring 2011″ release date into serious doubt. Speaking in EA’s Q3 earnings call last night, CFO Eric Brown said the game won’t ship in the 12 months ending March 31, 2011. “We are not assuming that we bring a major new MMO to market in fiscal ‘11. We will continue to increase significant development cost as we prepare this title for launch,” he said.
    More through the link



     

    I expected none the less from Bioware.  The obviously told EA to fuck off and we will give it to you for publishing when "we" feel it is ready.  EA wants success and they are finally listening to the developers that sign with them and also know of Bioware reputation which they also probably told EA you will never tarnish.  I have no doubts that the game will release when it is feature complete.

    image

  • apocalanceapocalance Jacksonville, FLPosts: 1,073Member

    It was previously over a year away and now it's almost guaranteed to be at a minimum 14 months (plus) away. As a Star Wars fan and MMO gamer, I'm okay with this news.

    so...

  • FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Somewhere in nowherePosts: 2,309Member Uncommon

    Posted by Sean Dahlberg on the official forums:

    "Nothing has changed since we last posted about this (first post in this thread) last month. While we have not announced a specific date, we can confirm that we are targeting a spring 2011 release for Star Wars™: The Old Republic™."

     

    People seem to forget the fiscal year ends in march, and spring still carries on into June.

    Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

  • bedrock1977bedrock1977 Mission Viejo, CAPosts: 36Member

    I'm both a Star Wars fan as well as Bioware fan... I'm happy for this news and can patiently wait for a complete game. I'm still playing around in Mass Effect and Dragon Age so... :P

    Played: DAoC 6 years, WoW 2 years, Ultima/EQ 1+ years, AoC/Aion/Rift/SWTOR a few months
    Tried: Warhammer, EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and many, many others...
    Currently Playing: SWTOR

  • ReizlaReizla AlkmaarPosts: 3,299Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by sinjin



    I expected none the less from Bioware.  The obviously told EA to fuck off and we will give it to you for publishing when "we" feel it is ready.  EA wants success and they are finally listening to the developers that sign with them and also know of Bioware reputation which they also probably told EA you will never tarnish.  I have no doubts that the game will release when it is feature complete.

     

    Finally a published who has seen the light. And shock that it was EA to see the light :D

    Indeed, Bioware has a massive reputation, and they won't let them be rushed by anyone. When Bioware tells the game is ready for release, they'll pass it on to EA, and not a second sooner. Too bad a MMO is never finished, but I expect Bioware to give the best product as release candidate that we've seen for the last 2 years.

    ...perhaps I should take a closer look at SW:ToR. I'm no SW fan, but knowing Bioware, they manage to pull everyone in their storytelling...

    AsRock 990FX Extreme3
    AMD Phenom II 1090T ~3.2Ghz
    GEiL 16Gb DDR3 1600Mhz
    ASUS GTX970 3x HD monitor 1920x1080

  • AshanorAshanor Brevard County, FLPosts: 97Member
    Originally posted by Guillermo197


    Maybe... just maybe... They finally get the hint and started waking up.
    Especially now a big IP Title like STO is going down in flames... it must have given them a signal that people are trully fed up and demand high quality games and not unfinished, shallow crap.
    About time really. About friggin' time!

     

    You do realize that this game has been in development since the end of 2005, right? Even if it released tomorrow it wouldn't be considered rush by any stretch of the imagination. Count those years for me. December 2006 (1 year), Dec 2007 (2), Dec 2008 (3), Dec 2009 (4). That's 4 years this game has been in development for over 4 years now. Most MMORPGs are in development for less time than that, and they aren't using the Hero Engine like Bioware is. The engine they are using really speeds up development time by letting developers edit the world without a server shutdown. They can receive feedback instantly about whatever they are working on instead of having to wait for the server to shut down and to come in to work the next day and then finally get some feedback.

  • RoosterNashRoosterNash Tulsa, OKPosts: 283Member
    Originally posted by Ashanor


    You do realize that this game has been in development since the end of 2005, right? Even if it released tomorrow it wouldn't be considered rush by any stretch of the imagination. Count those years for me. December 2006 (1 year), Dec 2007 (2), Dec 2008 (3), Dec 2009 (4). That's 4 years this game has been in development for over 4 years now. Most MMORPGs are in development for less time than that, and they aren't using the Hero Engine like Bioware is. The engine they are using really speeds up development time by letting developers edit the world without a server shutdown. They can receive feedback instantly about whatever they are working on instead of having to wait for the server to shut down and to come in to work the next day and then finally get some feedback.



     

    Uhhh, some of the biggest AAA MMOs to date took upwards of 4 years to complete from start to finish.

    Then you have MMOs like "The Secret World", which has been in development for a ridiculously long time. Now, there are tons of MMOs that only took a couple of years to finish, but they failed to meet standards. Hell, they failed. Period.

    THE Rooster Nash

  • MazinMazin Jacksonville, FLPosts: 640Member

    Spring is technically the time frame between Mar 21 through June 20.

    Spring does not mean late March release, as much as many of us wish it did.

Sign In or Register to comment.