Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What I dislike about the game.

I can pretty much put up with alot of stuff when a new  game first comes out but some things realy tick me off.  First let me start with my top 10.

1.  A level cap so easy to max out that most semi-hardcore players max it out before their 30 days of free play time is over.  Actually even non semi-hard core players have reached the level cap within the first two weeks.

2.  lieing, fibbing or stretching the truth.  They said in open beta that they ordered new servers to handle the stress, but a month later the stress on the servers are still the same as in open beta, you still get server disconect atleast five times an hour.

3.  Those darn fly by hijackings where you are on auto pilot or just sitting in sector space adjusting your weapons and you get snatched up into an instanceby a wondering signal and before you can click the tab to leave 10 klingon ships open up on you and you are dead and when you finaly do get to cancel the mission you respawn right next to that same signal and get sucked back in again.

4. Broken missions that you reported in open beta and are still broken with the same missing NPC's.

5.  A crafting system where you do not know what you have to do or how far you need to go to get to the next crafting level.

6.  A  game that has fleets but you can not do any fleet actions.

7.  Space combat where there is no support for a Joystick to control you ship.

8.  No integrated voice chat for teams.

9.  And the same missions that you did at level 1 you are doing at lvl 45 to include the exact same planets or bases with just a name change.

10.  And not too smart people like myself who paid to play open beta, paid $50 for the game and then bought a lifetime sub.  just because it was Star Trek and should of seen this coming but chose to ignore it.

I posted thisexact same post on the STO forums and it got deleted and I got banned from the forums for two weeks.

Comments

• KontraKontra Member Posts: 132

1. Don't agree with your level cap argument. I played Open-Beta and then the month from game purchase and never made it to Lt. Comm. before I got bored.

2. Regular server instability killed me too often or forced me to redo missions. Ridiculous.

3. Agreed 100%

4. Agreed again. Still couldn't find that stupid anomaly somehow was INSIDE a building you could never enter during that stupid "Talk to five people then take a test on what they said" mission.

5. Word.

6-7. Meh... never did the fleet or joystick thing

8. Voice chat something they really needed since their chat system is so complicated and irritating.

9. Every mission is the same thing over and over again with no real story to  connect them or bring any meaning to them.

10. I'm just glad I didn't do the lifetime subscription thing. They only wasted a couple months of my life and got $50 out of me. Same as most crappy games I've bought from time to time.

• SilverdaggerSilverdagger Member UncommonPosts: 119

#3 got me LOL'ing.  I hated that with a passion.  I got used to it after a while.  If you got sucked in, so long as you didn't touch the movement controls, the enemy ships ignore you.  Useful if you were retrofitting your ship or shuffling inventory.  (Useless if you were en route to someplace). 

#5 In beta I never noticed any levels to crafting.  As long as you had the needed materials for buying an item enhancement, it just worked.  No skill involved.  Did this change?

• DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783
    Originally posted by ScribbleLay1

I can pretty much put up with alot of stuff when a new  game first comes out but some things realy tick me off.  First let me start with my top 10.
    1.  A level cap so easy to max out that most semi-hardcore players max it out before their 30 days of free play time is over.  Actually even non semi-hard core players have reached the level cap within the first two weeks.
    1a) according to cryptic as of a week ago, only around 1% of the player base is supposedly at max level.
    2.  lieing, fibbing or stretching the truth.  They said in open beta that they ordered new servers to handle the stress, but a month later the stress on the servers are still the same as in open beta, you still get server disconect atleast five times an hour.
    2a) I dont. I rarely get disconnected. Could be a problem with your pc or your isp or a route your isp is sending you is having problems. In the entire month I have been playing, I have only been kicked off twice and that was near the start of the game. The reason we haven't had a test server is because the hardware they had ordered for the test server got moved over to make things better for the live server.
    3.  Those darn fly by hijackings where you are on auto pilot or just sitting in sector space adjusting your weapons and you get snatched up into an instanceby a wondering signal and before you can click the tab to leave 10 klingon ships open up on you and you are dead and when you finaly do get to cancel the mission you respawn right next to that same signal and get sucked back in again.
    3a) Actually, once you leave the mission it should not suck you back in again unless you sit there for to long. But yes, it is annoying, especially if you have a slow machine for switching maps as it sounds like you might have. I usually have time to leave the mission when I get in and get attacked but I am usually pretty low on hull by the time I get out. Science ship.
    4. Broken missions that you reported in open beta and are still broken with the same missing NPC's.
    4a) I dont really understand this one. I did pretty much most of the missions in the game except the pvp ones and only had 1 mission that I could not complete.
    5.  A crafting system where you do not know what you have to do or how far you need to go to get to the next crafting level.
    5a) This one I agree with, supposedly they are going to make it better but I just dont worry about it. I am working on all purples for my ship :)
    6.  A  game that has fleets but you can not do any fleet actions.
    6a) your fleet can do them, just not everyone in an instance at once. That is a limitation of the instancing in many areas where they limit the number really low.
    7.  Space combat where there is no support for a Joystick to control you ship.
    7a) I kinda agree with you here. There is gamepad support for it though.
    8.  No integrated voice chat for teams.
    8a) That would be a nice feature. Although I haven't found to many in game voice chats to be very good (voice quality wise) and prefer to use Teamspeak or vent.
    9.  And the same missions that you did at level 1 you are doing at lvl 45 to include the exact same planets or bases with just a name change.
    9a) well this is kinda true. You don't get to do explore missions at level 1 but I get your point. It is pretty boring at RA5 with basically 1 daily to do. But they are slowly getting content out, they just really need to speed that up a bunch!
    10.  And not too smart people like myself who paid to play open beta, paid $50 for the game and then bought a lifetime sub.  just because it was Star Trek and should of seen this coming but chose to ignore it.
    10a) I played closed and open beta, I paid 80 bucks (I think that was the price) for the collectors edition and bought a lifetime account to. While I am sad that we dont have any content at RA5, I am in it for the long haul. I really feel this game is going to get better with time and it will be worth it in the end.
    I posted thisexact same post on the STO forums and it got deleted and I got banned from the forums for two weeks.
    Are you sure it was exactly like this? They dont usually ban people for complaints unless they did or said something else in there that violates their posting rules. I see people all the time complaining and not getting banned so I highly suspect there was more to it then just what you posted here.

Answers in Yellow

• BenjolaBenjola Member UncommonPosts: 843

Thanks for sharing.

My turn:

EVERYTHING.

I care about your gaming 'problems' and teenage anxieties, just not today.

• WinnWinn Member CommonPosts: 24

- no content

- too much fighting and that's just not Star Trek

- crafting ?!?!  HA !!!

except that i didn't play beta i totaly agree to the original post.

it's just milking the cash cow named trekkies.

i hate WoW but even that got more content than STO.

glad i got my old SWG cds stil and found my way to the Emu so i don't need STO any longer to

play a game that doesn't have orcs and elves.

Holadiho

faster pussycat - kill kill kill

• bstiffbstiff Member Posts: 359

In regards to #1, you don't even have to be remotely close to hardcore to hit the level cap within your 30 day free trial.  I played maybe 2 hours/day and hit RA5 at 28 days on my sub. I have no missions left other than:

1) defend the sector mission

2) explore the nebula mission where I get my choice of either kill 5 fleets, scan 5 objects, or (shudder) aid the planet

3) PVP daily mission

4) a 5 man instance that takes 2-3 hours and is composed mainly of ground combat which by far is the most maligned part of the game. Also to cryptic, you can't take the zombie pet model, throw some lipstick and accessories on it and call it a borg.

Cancelled my sub at day 29. How they did not see this coming I have no idea.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Originally posted by bstiff

How they did not see this coming I have no idea.

Exactly.  Surely to God SOME of the designers and company suits actually play MMOs and know a) many players will inevitably blast through content with a vengeance and  b) cookie-cutter, random missions do NOT an MMO make??  

What marketing and design team came up with STO and thought "Yay, this is a killer MMO".  The entire lot should be sacked and replaced with long-term MMO players!

Originally posted by Dibdabs

Originally posted by bstiff

How they did not see this coming I have no idea.

Exactly.  Surely to God SOME of the designers and company suits actually play MMOs and know a) many players will inevitably blast through content with a vengeance and  b) cookie-cutter, random missions do NOT an MMO make??  

What marketing and design team came up with STO and thought "Yay, this is a killer MMO".  The entire lot should be sacked and replaced with long-term MMO players!

I was trying to think how many missions in sto aren't the patrol the sector, defend the sector, explore the nebula breed. It may be poor memory but it feels like around 20 or maybe 30 tops. 4-5 story missions per rank seems the average. If I hadn't scraped sto off my hdd today I would think about checking it out.

• ScribbleLay1ScribbleLay1 Member Posts: 177

1. A level cap so easy to max out that most semi-hardcore players max it out before their 30 days of free play time is over. Actually even non semi-hard core players have reached the level cap within the first two weeks.

1a) according to cryptic as of a week ago, only around 1% of the player base is supposedly at max level.

Well, I don't know whee you got that Cryptic info but I belong to a fleet with 88 members and 27 of them are RA5 and we are a fleet of adult all over 30 who have daily jobs.

2. lieing, fibbing or stretching the truth. They said in open beta that they ordered new servers to handle the stress, but a month later the stress on the servers are still the same as in open beta, you still get server disconect atleast five times an hour.

2a) I dont. I rarely get disconnected. Could be a problem with your pc or your isp or a route your isp is sending you is having problems. In the entire month I have been playing, I have only been kicked off twice and that was near the start of the game. The reason we haven't had a test server is because the hardware they had ordered for the test server got moved over to make things better for the live server.

Well I do and so do many of the people in my fleet and just like Cryptic did, blamed my computer or internet connection.  I could post my computer specs to show that I do have a top of the line system or my high speed internet connection but that would prove nothiung since I do not have these server disconnect issues with any other games I play.

3. Those darn fly by hijackings where you are on auto pilot or just sitting in sector space adjusting your weapons and you get snatched up into an instanceby a wondering signal and before you can click the tab to leave 10 klingon ships open up on you and you are dead and when you finaly do get to cancel the mission you respawn right next to that same signal and get sucked back in again.

3a) Actually, once you leave the mission it should not suck you back in again unless you sit there for to long. But yes, it is annoying, especially if you have a slow machine for switching maps as it sounds like you might have. I usually have time to leave the mission when I get in and get attacked but I am usually pretty low on hull by the time I get out. Science ship.

Actually, you are wron on all counts, you do get sucked in whether you sit there or not and my computer is not slow and neither ins my connection.

6. A game that has fleets but you can not do any fleet actions.

6a) your fleet can do them, just not everyone in an instance at once. That is a limitation of the instancing in many areas where they limit the number really low.

But you can not do anything as a fleet.  If I wanted to set up a fleet action say Star Base 24 and do it as a fleet I can't, the most you can do is in groups of 5, far from the required amount to do anything meaningful.

• Die_ScreamDie_Scream Member Posts: 1,785

I read on the forums some time ago that the game shipped with 87 missions. Likely that meant story missions, not including the scan 5 / kill 5 copy paste all other types are. I don't have a link, so I am just going by memory.

I finished the game (beat it) in a little over 2 weeks. After logging in to grind my daily (45 mins content a day) for a week or less, I grew bored. I haven't played in 2 weeks approx.

Adding 2-3 hour long missions that are simply the same crummy content doesn't help me much. They can't make decent content with this engine. Or they are unwilling to.

EDIT: I am in error, lol. I did just log in and attempt the new 5 man a day ago or so. Forgot about that.

@Doomsday01, unless you can provide a link to that 1% number you stated, I just don't believe you.

#1 I follow the forums every day.

#2 If Cryptic had said this, I would have seen more people posting it, because people post and repost everything the devs say.

#3 This does not sound like anything Cryptic would say to me.

Prove me wrong and I'll admit it, but this sounds made up to me.

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

The "only 1% of the pop is RA5" comment was a few weeks ago now.  Even then, people were suspicious of the accuracy.  If they made that statement today, we'd have another forum explosion rivaling "Discountgate".

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

You know haters of Cryptic are looking at things all wrong.I love Cryptic/Atari.They've provided me with the most free entertainment of any media recently and I'm not talking about either of their games.

Originally posted by Die_Scream

I read on the forums some time ago that the game shipped with 87 missions. Likely that meant story missions, not including the scan 5 / kill 5 copy paste all other types are. I don't have a link, so I am just going by memory.
    I finished the game (beat it) in a little over 2 weeks. After logging in to grind my daily (45 mins content a day) for a week or less, I grew bored. I haven't played in 2 weeks approx.
    Adding 2-3 hour long missions that are simply the same crummy content doesn't help me much. They can't make decent content with this engine. Or they are unwilling to.

If the 87 is true that still spreads content mighty thin over 45 levels. That's less than 2 missions a level.  In several other mmo's Ive played Ive had to pick which missions to drop as my quest log was full at 25 missions.  Never had that problem ever on STO.

• BetabooBetaboo Member Posts: 384

I no longer have a pony in the race but i will say that i will NEVER buy another cryptic product again. And i will tell anyone who is thinking of purchsing one to not buy into the hype and save their money.

Originally posted by Darth_Osor

The "only 1% of the pop is RA5" comment was a few weeks ago now.  Even then, people were suspicious of the accuracy.  If they made that statement today, we'd have another forum explosion rivaling "Discountgate".

Hmph, I'm disappointed I never saw this dev post.

The way these companies spin things and word statements so they can later use a loophole to say they were right, maybe the 1% thing was true. If they were including all characters made by all people, free month, trial, etc. Most people with a capped captain probably also have 2 alts.

In any case, I would hazard a guess at the % being much higher now, since it really shouldn't take anyone, unless ultra-casual (i.e. play once/twice a week), longer than 3-4 weeks to cap.

I still laugh whenever one of the CDF zealots try the "you rushed" excuse. Apologists are a good source of humor.

Originally posted by Die_Scream

Originally posted by Darth_Osor

Hmph, I'm disappointed I never saw this dev post.

The way these companies spin things and word statements so they can later use a loophole to say they were right, maybe the 1% thing was true. If they were including all characters made by all people, free month, trial, etc. Most people with a capped captain probably also have 2 alts.

In any case, I would hazard a guess at the % being much higher now, since it really shouldn't take anyone, unless ultra-casual (i.e. play once/twice a week), longer than 3-4 weeks to cap.

I still laugh whenever one of the CDF zealots try the "you rushed" excuse. Apologists are a good source of humor.

It wasn't a dev post, it  was an interview that the Stoked guys had with cryptic, on their show and that was what they said. HERE

Go to around 24:05 into the show. Oh btw, there is your link even though I dont care if you believe me or not. I am not here to throw out BS like many folks do on this forum. I just post what I see, take it or not, don't really care.

• jimsmith08jimsmith08 Member Posts: 1,039
    Originally posted by Benjola

Thanks for sharing.

My turn:

EVERYTHING.

My turn:

Cryptic.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Entirely true.  Good thing though, that they didn't decide to do what they did with CO.  Which is, decrease XP for missions and mobs so that you spend 20% on the fun content and 80% grinding.  400 hours of exploration missions?  I think I just threw up a little...
    Hmmm... the first couple weeks had daily crashes, often several per day.  By the 3rd week of live(my last time spent there), the servers were up most of the time, with no queues.  I saw dramatic improvement.  On the other hand, maybe fewer people were playing, and for less time...
    I didn't like 'em, either.  But the funny thing is, I participated in many forum topics where people hated "safe havens" in MMO's.  They liked the idea that you could be in a town somewhere which may suddenly be invaded by orcs.  So you might park next to a vendor in town and take a bio break, get overrun and killed before you can even flush.

"Enemy signals" seem to me to be the Star Trek Online example of that.
    I made it through all the episode missions live and in the preview weekend without any serious trouble... aside from the server crashes, of course.  Though yes, I had plenty of problems like this during beta.
    Agree 100%.  Absolute WORST crafting system I've played to date.  Including Tabula Rasa.  Absolutely not worth the effort.
    10. And not too smart people like myself who paid to play open beta, paid $50 for the game and then bought a lifetime sub. just because it was Star Trek and should of seen this coming but chose to ignore it.
    And I'm not really sure why so many folks were duped into this lifetime sub deal, especially after seeing what's become of CO released only months earlier...

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

1.) Guess I'm just slower than everyone because I've been playing for a month and am only at Commander 9. Maybe it's because I don't play for 4+ hours a day or maybe it's because I actually take the time to read the missions and get involved in the story. The real problem is that there is not optional content. As in, what do you do once you hit that high level? Or what do you do when you don't feel like dong combat?

2.) Don't see what you are talking about here. Cryptic was completely upfront on what this game is.

3.) Welcome to space. These aren't hard to get out of, just click exit space when the box appears and you're out of there.

4.) Only come across one broken mission and it was fixed for me the next day.

5.) Agreed. This part just stinks to high heaven. There is no real economy in the game since what you loot is more than efficient for passing the missions. Why pluck down money on overpriced items on the exchange when I can simply loot them later? This for me is the worst part of the game and will be the reason subs don't stick around once they have hit max level. I personally would love for crafting to become a bigger part of the game because I love playing the guy that harvests resources for the crafters. Did it in SWG before they ruined it with looting and it is what kept me playing that game even with all its faults.

6.) Been in plenty of fleet actions with more than 5 ships. You didn't look hard enough.

7.) A joystick? Are you kidding me? You're not very familiar with this genre are you?

10.) I have no sympathies for you here. You bought a lifetime sub to a game without knowing whether you would like it or not. I was following this game for a year and liked most of what I saw in previews, but even I knew better than to pluck that much money down on a game that I hadn't played yet, even if my initial impressions were positive. NO game is worth that much money.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• buegurbuegur Member UncommonPosts: 457

Originally posted by ScribbleLay1 I can pretty much put up with alot of stuff when a new game first comes out but some things realy tick me off. First let me start with my top 10.

1. A level cap so easy to max out that most semi-hardcore players max it out before their 30 days of free play time is over. Actually even non semi-hard core players have reached the level cap within the first two weeks.

Seems to be the norm for new MMo's these days.  Rather odd in my opinion as their end games aren't normally ready for prime time. 

2. lieing, fibbing or stretching the truth. They said in open beta that they ordered new servers to handle the stress, but a month later the stress on the servers are still the same as in open beta, you still get server disconect atleast five times an hour.

I really haven't had that much problems with disconnects, although in the last week I'm seem to crash maybe once a day.

3. Those darn fly by hijackings where you are on auto pilot or just sitting in sector space adjusting your weapons and you get snatched up into an instanceby a wondering signal and before you can click the tab to leave 10 klingon ships open up on you and you are dead and when you finaly do get to cancel the mission you respawn right next to that same signal and get sucked back in again.

Doesn't bother me a whole lot as it does add a bit of danger to your voyage, easy enough to avoid in reality.

Must of fixed those as I haven't found any so far.

5. A crafting system where you do not know what you have to do or how far you need to go to get to the next crafting level.

I've objected to that being called crafting as all it is is a turn in items to receive a better item!  100% correct in the fact they don't have a good way to inform you when you can trade with the next item giver, very poor!  You end up confused and waste a great deal of time running back and forth to the other NPC asking if there is anything else I can do to trade with the big dummy until you realize that the store option showed up.  Think they could at least answer the question with something like, no you don't need to anything more to trade with me.

6. A game that has fleets but you can not do any fleet actions.

Can't remember the mission name but been in a few places that we had fleets with a lot more than 5 ships.  Been in PvP battles with fleets a lot bigger than that also.

7. Space combat where there is no support for a Joystick to control you ship.

If you want that just put it in their suggestion board, they seem eager to add or improve things like that.

8. No integrated voice chat for teams.

Lol with how they handle the chat in game, I think I'll pass on them doing that.  I'll use something like vent instead.

9. And the same missions that you did at level 1 you are doing at lvl 45 to include the exact same planets or bases with just a name change.

Unfortunately every MMO out there has this problem, wish there was a way they could have a mission generator that could make multi-step unique missions.

10. And not too smart people like myself who paid to play open beta, paid $50 for the game and then bought a lifetime sub. just because it was Star Trek and should of seen this coming but chose to ignore it.

And I'm not really sure why so many folks were duped into this lifetime sub deal, especially after seeing what's become of CO released only months earlier...

I do have to laugh at that as you should of know what you were getting into since you played the open Beta.  I too played the open Beta and chose the same path as you with the Lifetime subscription, the difference is I'm still having a blast and am very happy I did buy it!

Originally posted by ktanner3

1.) Guess I'm just slower than everyone because I've been playing for a month and am only at Commander 9. Maybe it's because I don't play for 4+ hours a day or maybe it's because I actually take the time to read the missions and get involved in the story. The real problem is that there is not optional content. As in, what do you do once you hit that high level? Or what do you do when you don't feel like dong combat?

Ktanner3, it goes A LOT faster when your grouped than if you solo the missions. Thats probably one of my biggest beefs about the game. It just flys by when you group. I made captain on a friday and by sunday evening I was admiral and all we were doing was going through the missions as normal. I got to spend basically 3 days in (what I feel is the best) in my tier 4 intrepid class ship and then boom, tier 5 was there before I even knew it. It goes way slower solo though so I highly recommend doing them solo so that the entire game doesnt just fly by for folks.

As for when you hit RA5, well, lets just say, there is 1 daily, 1 pvp daily and that is pretty much it. For me, its just the 1 daily as I don't really like pvp so I dont even do the other one. They did put in 1 new raid mission but I am not in a guild yet and haven't attempted it, I hear it is very very rough, sounds like fun though!

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by DoomsDay01

Ktanner3, it goes A LOT faster when your grouped than if you solo the missions. Thats probably one of my biggest beefs about the game. It just flys by when you group. I made captain on a friday and by sunday evening I was admiral and all we were doing was going through the missions as normal. I got to spend basically 3 days in (what I feel is the best) in my tier 4 intrepid class ship and then boom, tier 5 was there before I even knew it. It goes way slower solo though so I highly recommend doing them solo so that the entire game doesnt just fly by for folks.

As for when you hit RA5, well, lets just say, there is 1 daily, 1 pvp daily and that is pretty much it. For me, its just the 1 daily as I don't really like pvp so I dont even do the other one. They did put in 1 new raid mission but I am not in a guild yet and haven't attempted it, I hear it is very very rough, sounds like fun though!

That's why I solo'd most of the episodes.  I wanted to take time to read through dialogue and have a look around.  Still, while doing this, I found myself finishing the episodic content and hitting RA5 in 3-4 weeks.  In comparison, LotRO took me about 6 months to max level.  Not because it actually takes that long, but because there are lots of fun things to do that advance your character outside of leveling... and there are actually areas to explore and enjoy.  By its very design, STO chucks all that out the window and gets you to the action.  Not a bad thing overall, but a potentially fatal thing for an MMO.

I don't feel ripped off from STO.  It's what I expected, and the episodic content was fun.  But I suspect the wiser folks will wait a few months for when the game hits 20 bucks and they can enjoy the content bug free and for much less...

...and then probably quit before their free month is up.

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452
    Originally posted by Robsolf

That's why I solo'd most of the episodes.  I wanted to take time to read through dialogue and have a look around.  Still, while doing this, I found myself finishing the episodic content and hitting RA5 in 3-4 weeks.  In comparison, LotRO took me about 6 months to max level.  Not because it actually takes that long, but because there are lots of fun things to do that advance your character outside of leveling... and there are actually areas to explore and enjoy.  By its very design, STO chucks all that out the window and gets you to the action.  Not a bad thing overall, but a potentially fatal thing for an MMO.

I don't feel ripped off from STO.  It's what I expected, and the episodic content was fun.  But I suspect the wiser folks will wait a few months for when the game hits 20 bucks and they can enjoy the content bug free and for much less...

...and then probably quit before their free month is up.

Exactly...

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Believe me, I figured that out long ago which is why I do them solo. I like to take my time and enjoy the journey and most people I get grouped with only want to rush thru. That is why I turned that auto-join feature off. Once I hit Admiral I'll do the fleet thing, but if the game continues to offfer nothing but space combat I won't be around much longer.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft