Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Was the Hype too early?

LonzoLonzo Member UncommonPosts: 294

Now that they announced that this game will get out at around april 2011, do you think that the big hype about it was just a bit too early? Isnt it dangerous to let people wait THAT long?

In my opinion they should ve started with all the articles etc in summer this year, not 2-3 years before release. What do you think?

Comments

• Naturalist99Naturalist99 Member Posts: 182

most mmos start hype that early, either way, leaked videos get out and people always hype over announced game with no info to, its like the cycle of mmos, not only that but they are probably gonna start beta soon, so thy need people that know of the game

MMOs played: Too many
    Watch List: FFXIV, CoH:GR, GW2, SWTOR, TERA, Earthrise

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    Originally posted by Lonzo

Now that they announced that this game will get out at around april 2011, do you think that the big hype about it was just a bit too early? Isnt it dangerous to let people wait THAT long?

In my opinion they should ve started with all the articles etc in summer this year, not 2-3 years before release. What do you think?

Theres still tons of unknown information... theres still a lot of hype to go.  We'll hit 2 more major stages of hype before the game launches.  1) the build up to beta invites  and 2) coming up on release (and open beta)     During these times tons of information will be available.. lots of developer interviews, and lots o unreleased information will finally be released.   They're just building a steady foundation to peak interest to maximize the hype later.

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

Don't worry. There will be a new round of hype 5 or 6 months before release. For now it will die down since release is so far off.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

All BioWare is doing is releasing information when they think it's ready and worthy to be released. We're making the hype.

• aeliethaelieth Member Posts: 44

We know there is a game and a basic premise to it. We have the classes and what the game is built on but details are very sketchy at the moment. The game isn't even polished yet, but from the videos I've seen it's already considerably smoother than many games that come out. No, wasn't hyped too early and hasn't even had the majority of of the hype released yet.

• DragoshanDragoshan Member UncommonPosts: 36

Game won't come out soon enough if you ask me. As for the hype, anyone that loves BioWare games and the StarWars universe feels hyped when those two get mentioned togheter; I know I do. So, it might be about self-induced hype more then anything else. 

• ChuckanarChuckanar Member UncommonPosts: 210

Is over a year away till release. If you blew your cork this easy you need to get help.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

What are you talking about exactly? The hype always comes this early, honey. Alot of times the game doesn't even work out. Just look at the original STO, and Stargate Worlds. Its not like its anything new.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by Moirae

What are you talking about exactly? The hype always comes this early, honey. Alot of times the game doesn't even work out. Just look at the original STO, and Stargate Worlds. Its not like its anything new.

Not always, if the developers are good. Releasing info too soon will only hurt the game. 

If you can last 'till year before release, the end result will be much better than if you started hyping it 3 years before release.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

i waited 4 years for swg. dealing with the game will come out "This" month going to the store to pick up my copy finding out that it got pushed 6 months back or to next year. hype is hype.

• AladyleynaAladyleyna Member Posts: 269

The moment information is leaked out, hype will start when people get excited over what they see. It's a normal circle in games. The hype will probably die down first when people hear that the release date is later than expected, then increase again nearer to the release date. So yeah, I'm not really that upset about it.

What matters is that the game, when released, is something that we can all enjoy.

Main characters:
    Jinn Gone Quiet (Guild Wars)
    Princess Pudding (Guild Wars)

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

No because there is still a ton of stuff we do not know about the game and alot we have not seen either.

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918

Start the hype early, provide drips and "leaks" of information month over month, and you'll have a fanbase rabid with desire to play.

Of course, when details of instability/missing features/etc also leak out during closed beta, have a great PR "spinner" on staff to help remind people that all will be well upon release. It will, won't it?

That said, I trust Bioware. I love their Single-Player RPGs and I'm sure they will do everything to make sure their initial MMO offering is nothing short of stellar. This way they can move onto their next MMO right afterwards....

• NeoGauchoNeoGaucho Member Posts: 19
    Originally posted by Talin

Start the hype early, provide drips and "leaks" of information month over month, and you'll have a fanbase rabid with desire to play.
    Of course, when details of instability/missing features/etc also leak out during closed beta, have a great PR "spinner" on staff to help remind people that all will be well upon release. It will, won't it?

That said, I trust Bioware. I love their Single-Player RPGs and I'm sure they will do everything to make sure their initial MMO offering is nothing short of stellar. This way they can move onto their next MMO right afterwards....

AGREE

GAUCHO
    MMO experience:
    -SWG 3 years
    -WoW 4 years
    Currently playing:
    -Runes of Magic
    -Warhammer Online
    -Mabinogi

Originally posted by Hyanmen

Originally posted by Moirae

Not always, if the developers are good. Releasing info too soon will only hurt the game. 

If you can last 'till year before release, the end result will be much better than if you started hyping it 3 years before release.

???? The game has been in development for YEARS already. There was rumor about it back in 98. They didn't announce it that long ago. It hasn't even been a year since it was announced. 

• InteritusInteritus Member UncommonPosts: 236

I don't think they've hyped it at all. They haven't even announced all the planets yet. There are tons of details about the game we don't know.  Most of the hype you are seeing is ocming in the form of other people excited for the game. While the devs are obviously excited  they are busy working on it. It's the people who are excited about the game that hype it up so much.

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

Nah this game isnt being hyped too early imo. Hype goes on for alot of games.

Bioware is keeping a good lid on info as you can see ppl are too quick to criticise.  Good for Bioware to keep the right amount info coming out.

(BBBBBBWWWWWWWAAAAAHHHHH raises plunger in slaute to bioware!)

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• RJMacreadyRJMacready Member Posts: 2

We were not the ones who rented a booth last summer at E3  ....grabing anyone with a microphone who walked by.  And I don't remember from videos I've seen a sign at that booth that said  " Earliest launch date  Summer 2011"!

They knew they would look like fools with a booth in 09 ..making a big deal about a game thats at least 2 years away. (and trust me ...they knew back then how far off they were.)

So lets stop with the idea that "we" are the reason for the hype.

I don't care about how many games before this started to hype thier game 5 years before launch. If that was a fool proof plan than Vanguard would be bigger than WOW. How many years did we hear about that game?

Somtimes it can get to the point where some of your potential customers just want to say: Hey ..if you got a product for me to buy ....do me a favor and shut up until your ready to sell it.

• AshanorAshanor Member UncommonPosts: 109
    Originally posted by Comnitus

All BioWare is doing is releasing information when they think it's ready and worthy to be released. We're making the hype.

Yes, I am sure marketing at Bioware has NOTHING to do with it, right?

lol

Originally posted by Ashanor

Yes, I am sure marketing at Bioware has NOTHING to do with it, right?

lol

i don't know about you but I saw alot more marketing with other games than with this one.,

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Isnt it dangerous to let people wait THAT long?

Not for the company it isn't.

See, while the player community is bitching, moaning, and threatening to boycott left and right - Bioware is still a publicly traded company who sees a surge of investors every time they waft a SW:toR-flavored fart our way. It's smart for them to push early and scoop money, but even smarter for them to know how to sugarcoat hot topics. Fairly sure every time they say something that really gets the crowd yelling "rabble. rabble", some investors are pulling their funds. If you saw a graph it would show high spikes for every time they drop some hot info, and a good drop whenever they say something stupid.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

The hype hasn't even started...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860

uh, hello?

this is called hypeing.

do you need to know about this information 1.5 years prior to the game's release (planets, classes, timeline)? no.

would it make a different to your playing experience if you were given ALL the information the day the game was released? no.

would you be as excited today about the game if ALL the information was provided upon release? no.

wake up will ya?

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

What?

You may recall that the game's announcement was held off as long as possible, well past the time everyone already knew what it was.

Not only that, but if it releases in early 2011, it will only have been two years and a few months since its announcement. This is in no way a long wait.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812

A big IP like Star Wars can create hype all on it's own and I don't think it's Bioware that's making the hype, I think it's us. All they are doing is providing information about a game they are developing. We take it and run with it.