Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why PC will ultimately crush consoles

Comments

• v4mp1r3v4mp1r3 Member Posts: 48

If microsoft didn't monopolise the PC and we could use different operating systems to play games...

We wouldn't have as many hardware issues.

• LasastardLasastard Member Posts: 604
    Originally posted by v4mp1r3

If microsoft didn't monopolise the PC and we could use different operating systems to play games...
    We wouldn't have as many hardware issues.

I made a good effort to understand that, but alas, I failed...

A) There is no Monopol on the PC, you can run Unix just fine on a PC.

B) Game developers focus on Direct X as a graphics API, rather then Direct3D - the latter being cross-platform (afaik). Direct X is windows-bound, a MS thing. So the domination of Windows overall lead them to go that route, I suppose. Guess that's what you meant.

C) None of that has anything to do with hardware issues, not that I can see anyway. Unless you do it the Apple way and heavily regulate the  software-hardware combinations, you will always have that problem. That's were consoles have the upper hand - you may not be on the cutting edge of the technology, but you can be sure that the game runs fine and everyone is on equal footing (minus the TV). 

D) Nowadays you can even port Windows games to Mac by wrapping them in a piece of code - some performance loss, but Mac hardware is generally not greared towards high-end gaming anyway (unless you buy a Mac Pro). 

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Originally posted by Ihmotepp

Originally posted by Ilvaldyr

I'm a gamer, not a geek.
    If I could get a console that did everything I use my PC for, I wouldn't even think twice.
    The PS3's ticked most of the boxes, I'm just waiting for:
    1. Keyboard and Mouse support as standard. Especially on shooters.

2. MMO's to make the shift to console.
    These two things happen, I'll happily toss my PC out of the window.

And this is different from a PC how exactly?

The box is shaped differently?

Pop in a disc & play. No installation. No configuration for different hardware. Support big screen HDTV (not all PCs have HDMI .. certainly not standard) so you can play on a couch.

Every game works on every machine 100% of the time. None of this "need newest graphics driver" shit or "turn off anti-alias" shit.

Works out of the box, plug in and play.

It's a trade off. Needs newest graphics driver means you get latest graphics.

I think most problems occur when you're trying to play a game on a machine that just doesn't meet system requirements.

But that's not really any different than trying to play the latest console game on the last version of the console instead of the newest box thats' out there.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

I think most problems occur when you're trying to play a game on a machine that just doesn't meet system requirements. 

This issue never ever happens on a console. No need to read the details at the back of the box to know if your Pc will handle the game or not.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

The difference is never big enough. I was playing GoW2 on my 360/big screen HDTV last nite and it looks good. Some PC games may look slightly better but I have yet to see anything so significant that I would forgone any convenience.

Heck, if I look at most of the multiplatform games on the 360 & the PC, I can' tell the difference with my eyes.

• seeyouspacec0wboyseeyouspacec0wboy Member UncommonPosts: 714
    Originally posted by Miles-Prower
     When the Xbox 360 and PS3 were released they were much more expensive than a computer capable of running the same games. Even today the PS3 is far more expensive than a mid-range computer capable of running most of the games out here at a full 60FPS.

WHHAT! When they came out they were what $600? Find me a computer for that much money that can run Oblivion, Fallout 3, Dragon Age etc at a full 60 fps, or at all.

And then you say even TODAY the ps3 is more expensive than a PC that can run these games at 60fps? PS3 is $250-$350 now! What computer can even install these games for that price?!

Originally posted by Scagweed22
    is it the graphics? the repetativenesses? i mean what is the point? you could be so much more productive in real life
    Real life brings repetition and pointlessness too. The only thing real life offers is Great graphics. Its kinda expensive too and way to dependent on the cash shop. Totally pay to win as well. No thank you. Ill stick to my games.

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495
    Originally posted by Deewe

This issue never ever happens on a console. No need to read the details at the back of the box to know if your Pc will handle the game or not.

Actually this issue happens all the time with every console. The games made for the current generation of consoles don't work on the last generation of consoles.

That's the same thing as buying a game today and trying to play it on a PC you bought 3 years ago without any upgrades. No different than trying to play a brand new game last years model console.

New console, new games. New PC , new games.

You're just saying it's easy to tell the console is new because it has a new box, while they use the same case for PC's year after year, and just put in new guts.

• HenchdwarfHenchdwarf Member UncommonPosts: 517

consoles are for rich kids with disposable incomes.  PC's are for everyone in the world and are the metranome of global progress.

Consoles will crush eachother.  They have to complete with other consoles AND PC's.  once one console company has "crushed" the others, its monopoly with fail to maintain quality.  As soon as PCs and consoles produce the same games with the same playerbase, there would be no purpose in buying a console (you'd just play the game on the PC you all already own for the trillion other services it provides)

Consoles are big right now, because of a demographich, the upper middle class has been having alot of kids for about the past 30 years.  this will change, and PC's will reign supreme.

• YamothYamoth Member Posts: 182

PC will not crush but replace consoles for one and one reason only.  As the market continue to grows, the PC will be better and better equip and optimize to play video games.  At the same time, the consoles will get more and more complicated and start to do more and more things that the PC does.  Eventually, they going to meet at a crossroad where there is little to no distinction between the two and all will be PC just with different brand.  In the future, it might not so much be what console you need to play what game but more so what software or adapter you need to allow you to play those game.

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

Once laptops will be able to incorporate fast enough graphic cards in a cost-effective manner, I will most likely throw away:

a) desktop PCs

b) monitors

c) Gaming consoles

I would love to have a single computer, a laptop that is my entertainment center. You could either use it as a stand alone PC with 17" or so screen. Or simply as a media/game center hooked up to your Full HD TV. The whole thing can be build over 300Mbit wireless network with a proper wireless keyboard and mouse + other game controllers to use when playing  your TV.

This system could then be expanded with :

1. Network storage (also Wi-Fi)

2. Smartphones / Skype

3. eReaders/Pads for more simple browsing needs.

4. Friend's media/game equipment

So, yes, I agree with the OP. Consoles really aren't needed soon.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by Jimmy_Scythe

Game. Set and Match.

Sarcasm?

I mean i think the OP was merely ranting from one bad experience and shouldn't be taken seriously.  Consoles are popular and will remain so.  But that guy's video is a bad joke :P

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• VaedurVaedur Member Posts: 430

As a PC gamer, i can attest to the fact the OP is out of his mind, and does not live in the same reality the rest of us gamers do.

• YamothYamoth Member Posts: 182

Game. Set and Match.

For the love of god, this guy is so retarded in his negative review of the pc that I don't even know where to start.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

PC's and consoles each fulfill a specific niche and neither will kill off the other.  (despite predictions like the OP's which have been going on for over 20 years)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Actually this issue happens all the time with every console. The games made for the current generation of consoles don't work on the last generation of consoles.

That's the same thing as buying a game today and trying to play it on a PC you bought 3 years ago without any upgrades. No different than trying to play a brand new game last years model console.

You're just saying it's easy to tell the console is new because it has a new box, while they use the same case for PC's year after year, and just put in new guts.

That is just plain stupid and argument for argument sake. Anyone who has the current gen console walking into a gamestop don't have to read any requirement .. and you know it.

What about PC that you buy last year? How about 18 months? Do you have enough memory? 

And oh, even laptops you buy NOW. Lots have integrated graphics and won't play a thing.

Originally posted by Kyleran

PC's and consoles each fulfill a specific niche and neither will kill off the other.  (despite predictions like the OP's which have been going on for over 20 years)

Well, but the OP does not say "kill off" .. he said "crush".

In my books, when the console software is outselling PCs by 14 times, "crushing" seems to be an appropriate word.

• DalmontDalmont Member UncommonPosts: 272

PC's will never kill off consoles as consoles are a plug and play option and PC's scare the general public.

• AgentAnarkiiAgentAnarkii Member UncommonPosts: 173
    Originally posted by spankybus

So long as resellers like Gamestop can deal in used Console games, consoles will be dominant.

Sadly, it has nothing to do with game ability, but profit margin. Perhaps if digital downloads supercede purchased discs, this could change. But until then, PC games will continue to be a single display rack in teh corner in a store of 90% console games :-(

you got it down to the efin'  tee my friend. even where my local gamestop puts PC titles, in the damn corner!!!

• AgentAnarkiiAgentAnarkii Member UncommonPosts: 173
    Originally posted by Ozreth

Originally posted by Miles-Prower
     When the Xbox 360 and PS3 were released they were much more expensive than a computer capable of running the same games. Even today the PS3 is far more expensive than a mid-range computer capable of running most of the games out here at a full 60FPS.

WHHAT! When they came out they were what $600? Find me a computer for that much money that can run Oblivion, Fallout 3, Dragon Age etc at a full 60 fps, or at all.

And then you say even TODAY the ps3 is more expensive than a PC that can run these games at 60fps? PS3 is $250-$350 now! What computer can even install these games for that price?!

you have a point my computer costs me 600$ and i can't run the newest games on 60fps, hahaha

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368
    Originally posted by Kyleran

You are probably right in saying that they won't kill off each other. PCs will not live or die by the gaming community. Most PCs are used for working anyway. The consumer PC market is what 15-20% of the total PC market?

Now, this said. PCs can already emulate some consoles. Also, many games that come to consoles also come to PCs, like Bioshock 2 or Mass Effect 2 for example. As I said in my previous post, mainly as a PC user, I can see a situation where I could replace my XBOX 360 or PS3 with a laptop PC easily OR even now emulate console when playing with my PC hooked into HDTV using console like controllers. In fact, I have done this for quite some time. 

Not saying the above is or will ever be true for every user. A console is still a preferred choice for those who are not so tech savvy or just prefer to keep their work laptop/PC and gaming console separate. 

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• Lexe01Lexe01 Member Posts: 97

As a PC gamer, I hate to say that consoles last over 5 years before they need to be replaced. When you really like to

game and keep up with the required specifications, you will need to buy new PC hardware every 2 years.

Also selling used games for consoles is much easier than PC games.

This, in combination with the Vista O.S. failure has caused the console games to take the lead.

Personally I hate the console controllers or the lack of it.

• CronjoCronjo Member Posts: 23

PC's won't Crush Consoles.  The Two markets will merge, how many features we though of as PC features have been intergrated with the PS3, Wii, and XBox 360?

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586
    Originally posted by Axehilt

Game. Set and Match.

Sarcasm?

I mean i think the OP was merely ranting from one bad experience and shouldn't be taken seriously.  Consoles are popular and will remain so.  But that guy's video is a bad joke :P

Only partly sarcastic.

The guy in that video needs to take a few public speaking classes but his talking points were right on the money.

Gaming on the PC is expensive as hell (total cost of operation :P) and way more trouble than it's worth. We've known since the days of Dreamcast that as systems got higher polygon counts, the differences in graphics would be harder and harder to spot. Like other people on this thread have pointed out, the differences between screenshots are so small that only a complete graphics whore can tell the difference. We aren't talking about the differences between previous generations here.

Atari 2600

NES

And then later....

Nintendo 64

PC

But can you tell me what platform this screenshot was taken on?

Honestly, I don't know either.

And that's the thing. I can pick up a PS3 or an XBox 360 for $300 or less. To get an off the shelf computer that plays most of the current crop of games is going to run me around $1000. I can build a gaming PC for half that, but what's the pay off if the games look and play the same? Also notice that I saide MOST games. Even with a $3k to $5K custom rig, there's still the possibility that you'll have some minute hardware issue that even geeksquad can't help you with. And can you resell the game? Nope. Can you get a refund? In most cases, no.

Oh and as for the guy that says you have to get a new console every five years. I still play games on my Dreamcast and N64. My little brother has only owned one console his entire life and that was the SNES. It's currently hooked up to his new HDTV in his livingroom. If I'm not mistaken, it's the same SNES he had when he was 9 years old. The console still runs and the cartridges are still fine. You can still slot an Atari 2600 cartridge into a working 2600, or clone thereof, and expect it to run. How are those 5 and 1/4th inch floppies working for you? 3 and 1/2 hard floppies? Yeah....

Unless you have some bizarre compulsiont to be on "the cutting edge" of technology, the PC isn't worth it. Most actual gamers care more about the games and less about the technology behind them.

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

My only gripe with consoles over PC's is SIZE! My thought on consoles is that they should be smaller than a PC and more portable. But it's almost as if things are going backwards. Besides Nintendo, which it's consoles have relatively stayed the same size if not smaller, consoles just seem to getting larger. PSone, two and now three have seen increased sizes. The PSone is now a lot smaller but it took well over 2 years for that to happen after it came out. And the PS2 is still large, and PS3 is even larger. Xbox and it's 360 counterpart have always remained large also. I see notebooks and laptops coming out monthly that seem to get smaller, thinner and more portable. And this is while upgrading tech. But consoles can't do the same?

Hmmmmmm.

If things progress they way they are, consoles will no longer be what I believe they were intended to be. And will become a PC in itself. And Microsoft will be the first one to attempt to pursue it. I guess when this happens, this debate would be mute, wouldn't it? =) Don't be surprised when the Xbox720(if that's what they call it) pops up with a $1000+ price tag and ways to upgrade it's speed and graphical assets to be comparable if not better than a computer.