Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Multiverse

I'm just 1 guy with an idea. I have an MMOG cooking in my hamster wheel but not a lot of cash to throw around producing it. I was thinking I could use one of the boxed MMO engines and I started looking at Multiverse http://www.multiverse.net/index.html

I am thinking though, if I used that engine would anyone play my game or would I just be wasting my time?

Comments

• Miles-ProwerMiles-Prower Member Posts: 1,106
    Originally posted by Curs0r

I'm just 1 guy with an idea. I have an MMOG cooking in my hamster wheel but not a lot of cash to throw around producing it. I was thinking I could use one of the boxed MMO engines and I started looking at Multiverse http://www.multiverse.net/index.html
    I am thinking though, if I used that engine would anyone play my game or would I just be wasting my time?

With the knowledge, commitment, resources, and time, anyone can do something great. And no matter what kind of game it is, someone will play it.

I say at least try. The worst thing that could happen is you don't get anywhere.

~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can!

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!
  • Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

It depends on how your game is not what engine you use but yes multiverse is great for indie devs and has some great tools, if you just wanna play around then i would suggest using unreal engine.

• Curs0rCurs0r Member Posts: 23

After seeing the cataclysmic result of STO and SWG saying too much and delivering not enough I think I'm going to have to keep quiet entirely about the details until I feel it's ready, but I think I have an idea that will appeal to a fair number of gamers. I hope it will anyway. I'm not looking to get rich or get 100k subscribers. I just want to have some online fun the way I think it should be, and as much loudmouthing as I do that could make a better game than X or Y title, I think it's time I proved it.

• weslubowweslubow Member UncommonPosts: 163

Go for it! keep to your vision and don't let anyone stop you. Have fun with it and put all those special things you have always wanted. It's a game after all is done.

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

Multiverse is good as been stated for indie developers. But if your starting from nothing I'd go with the UDK(Unreal 3) engine. Here is probably the best place to start.

UDK Video Tutorials1

UDK Video Tutorials 2

The first link is the best in my opinion and Good Luck. If nothing else, you can use your game in a portfolio as a tech demo or what not.

EDIT: fixed links

Cheers! Much appreciate the link.

• demcdemc Member Posts: 292

I would say that if you want a scalable real MMO development kit that is probably as close to the real thing then multiverse. UDK can only support 64 total connections. Multiverse is unlimited if you make a single shard world since you can span the distribution of players across multiple servers. If you have a working knowledge of Java and Python you can string a 100 servers together and scale it accordingly.

I am using Multiverse and it has a much better capability than any engine I have tested.

Just my two copper,

D

• ChaswickChaswick Member UncommonPosts: 60

I worked with Multiverse for a few months about two years ago on a project. I was in charge of UI design and I found the whole engine pretty decent for learning and indie developing. Its a combination of XML and Python scripting so learning the basics is pretty easy. I never really had a problem with my end of the production but the modelers and 3D art department had a lot of issues with importing objects to the game as well as making animations work. 

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Miles-Prower

With the knowledge, commitment, resources, and time, anyone can do something great. And no matter what kind of game it is, someone will play it.

I say at least try. The worst thing that could happen is you don't get anywhere.

Nah the worst is time wasted. And time is the most precious commodity you have.

People with no talent cannot do something great. Just look at all the mods out there. 99% of the player created content are junk.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Originally posted by Miles-Prower

Nah the worst is time wasted. And time is the most precious commodity you have.

People with no talent cannot do something great. Just look at all the mods out there. 99% of the player created content are junk.

Don't know what you're trying to say there. I guess you wasted time posting that :D

• v4mp1r3v4mp1r3 Member Posts: 48

Maybe he's implying all indie devs should stop trying and we can just keep getting spoonfed the hundreds of bullshit games we see every year...

Or, in the case of MMORPGs, we can keep getting spoonfed the one game over and over again every year.