Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

eve player wins silver medal at olimpics

karantanijakarantanija Member Posts: 57

why was this not reported anywhere?

seems news worthy doesn't it?

edit: relevant links:
http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/2927/EVE+player+wins+Olympic+medal/

http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1274589

I hope CCP really does name a mwd after him in the end :D

Comments

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

LOL,why was this reported anywhere?

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• PoopyStuffPoopyStuff Member Posts: 297

in the words of seinfield

'of all the losers you were the first in that group...  your the number one... loser"

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

I like how the first page on the EVE thread has a lot of blue responses.

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

maybe im a pessimist or just distrusting of people in general.. BUT where is the actual proof that person plays or even knows what EVE is??

its not like he stood in a press box and said" woot i won now i got to get back to my raid in EVE" or any junk like that

grats to the person either way..

but as for EVE... id like more info/proof that he plays it before i roll out the red carpet

• OmiragOmirag Member UncommonPosts: 276

eve raid? you mean wormhole exploration?

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228
    Originally posted by Killsmallchi

eve raid? you mean wormhole exploration?

i dont play eve. so im not 100% knowing on their forms of corp combats. so i just used a generalized example. and its simpler to use a useless WOW example tweeked then sit and figure out the X,Y,Z for EVE systems :P

still grats to the guy either way.

• krowxxviikrowxxvii Member Posts: 177
    Originally posted by Dinasty

Originally posted by PoopyStuff

'of all the losers you were the first in that group...  your the number one... loser"

It's Seinfeld not seinfield. Also, Seinfeld knows how to spell "you're".

But by the looks of your name I'm guessing you have the IQ of a shoe.

"IQ of a shoe".. lmao. classic. i'm putting that in my sig

You can't use the tools if you don't know they exist...
    http://www.ic3.gov - Internet Crime Complaint Center - Report cyber crimes to the FBI.

http://www.spamcop.net - SpamCop.net - Report spam and scam emails.

http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/ - Network Solutions WHOIS - Investigate and reveal suspcious websites.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Grats to the guy if it's true but it's like praising someone outside your circle of friends that drives the same car as you and claiming that person represents you......Really is this what it's needed for MMO players to feel worthy of life? Many MMO players are doctors, lawyers, judges, cops, CEOs, you name it. no need to call blasphemy and cry foul for not getting the respect you think it's lacking.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• x3r0hx3r0h Member Posts: 186
    Originally posted by Dinasty

Originally posted by PoopyStuff

It's Seinfeld not seinfield. Also, Seinfeld knows how to spell "you're".

But by the looks of your name I'm guessing you have the IQ of a shoe.

He was on his IPhone and was expecting it to auto-correct.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
    "Your pride, good sir, far exceeds your worth." -x3r0h

Oldest mmorpg.com member with the least amount of post counts. That counts for something, right?

• karantanijakarantanija Member Posts: 57

Originally posted by Ramonski7
    Grats to the guy if it's true but it's like praising someone outside your circle of friends that drives the same car as you and claiming that person represents you......Really is this what it's needed for MMO players to feel worthy of life? Many MMO players are doctors, lawyers, judges, cops, CEOs, you name it. no need to call blasphemy and cry foul for not getting the respect you think it's lacking.

hey I agree with you. Many MMO players are indeed doctors, lawyers, judges, cops, CEOs, soldiers and so on, yet the stereotype is that of a fat kid in his mothers basement.
    it pisses me of when I go out and everything is fine and we are having fun, and then I mention I play video games, and people are like wtf!?

I know it, you know it, the community here knows it, MMO gaming is becoming a lot more casual, and a lot of "normal" people do it. I just hate it when people get an idea of who you are before they get to know you, just because you said you play video games...

I thought it was nice such a stereotype breaker came along. If you think it wasn't news worthy, then sorry for your time :)

• Jairoe03Jairoe03 Member Posts: 732

Grats to the guy who is trying to turn the thread upside down from a positive thread into a negative one and in less than a page too. Oh don't worry, you weren't the only one. I think this is merely to celebrate a player from within a community of gamers that also makes some kind of a contribution to something as great as the Olympics.

It really is no small feat and its a small acknowledgement for someone that was conveniently also an EVE player, consider it a celebration of community because whether you know him personally or not, he still contributes to the EVE community somewhere down the line even if it means undercutting you by that 0.01 ISK, it still stole some sales away from you while you were gone.

Overall it what makes any community so great and its fun to see their accomplishments outside the MMO realm.

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190

Originally posted by karantanija

hey I agree with you. Many MMO players are indeed doctors, lawyers, judges, cops, CEOs, soldiers and so on, yet the stereotype is that of a fat kid in his mothers basement.
    it pisses me of when I go out and everything is fine and we are having fun, and then I mention I play video games, and people are like wtf!?

I know it, you know it, the community here knows it, MMO gaming is becoming a lot more casual, and a lot of "normal" people do it. I just hate it when people get an idea of who you are before they get to know you, just because you said you play video games...

I thought it was nice such a stereotype breaker came along. If you think it wasn't news worthy, then sorry for your time :)

Can't say it's a problem for me. I hate people, so I never get caught in awkward situations like that.

If I did though I'd probably tell them they're flagged in contested territory then hit them over the head with bluntobjectofoverheadbludgeoning +1.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    Originally posted by Vagrant_Zero

Can't say it's a problem for me. I hate people, so I never get caught in awkward situations like that.

If I did though I'd probably tell them they're flagged in contested territory then hit them over the head with bluntobjectofoverheadbludgeoning +1.

Only people that I let know i play Games online are my siblings and my wife.

I hid my gaming habit from my wife for the first four years of our relationship (before being married) and to this day i still play it off like its something i do because im bored.

Its society, they see gaming as an activity for sub college kids that don't have better things to do with their lives and even though its become more acceptable its still sort of taboo for a grown ass man or women to play.

I find that funny since its perfectly fine to sit at a bar getting blasted for hours on end or to sit on a sofa watching tv like a mindless drone but you get shit for playing video games.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• SabiancymSabiancym Member UncommonPosts: 3,150

I'm in a guild with the entire Canadian hockey team.

Really though, where is the proof that this is true?

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

The hardcore MMO players will cry and go pwn moar nubz at this simple, obvious truth:

"You realize that this just points out that EVE is the only MMO you do not have to play to play. EVE's character advancement system is so casual it lets you train for the Olympics on the side."

Taken (and given correct capitalization) from the 5th page of the thread. EVE lets you do something with your life while still being able to play an MMO. Gasp.

As for the people wanting proof, his in-game name is posted multiple times. I bet he's getting spammed with messages, so a few more asking if it's really true won't hurt.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

Interesting news, and yes, EVE is a game you can still be an active participant even if real life keeps you very busy.

It's part of the great beauty of EVE's overall design and makes it so different from most others.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    Originally posted by Rockgod99

I find that funny since its perfectly fine to sit at a bar getting blasted for hours on end or to sit on a sofa watching tv like a mindless drone but you get shit for playing video games.

That depends on what you're drinking.

Once upon a time....

• KruxKrux Member Posts: 274

haha...nice.  Another show, I guess, that accomplished individuals play smart and accomplished games.

• ShijeerShijeer Member Posts: 131

This.

- Shijeer

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Well I honestly do not see anything wrong with a 3rd party reporting something.After all the guy from scrubs who played SWG got a mention in a gaming article,the famous baseball player who plays EQ2 has been mentioned a few times,the group that won eurovision few years back has been mentioned as WoW players as well as vin disel and some others.

However eve is notorious for  highlighting this kind of stuff.Anyone remember how they kept on their front page that mmorpg.com is doing a vote for best mmorpg of the year and eve keeps on winning?

• karantanijakarantanija Member Posts: 57

Originally posted by hercules
    Well I honestly do not see anything wrong with a 3rd party reporting something.After all the guy from scrubs who played SWG got a mention in a gaming article,the famous baseball player who plays EQ2 has been mentioned a few times,the group that won eurovision few years back has been mentioned as WoW players as well as vin disel and some others.
    However eve is notorious for  highlighting this kind of stuff.Anyone remember how they kept on their front page that mmorpg.com is doing a vote for best mmorpg of the year and eve keeps on winning?

sorry, didn't really mean it in an eve context. was more in terms of this

Only people that I let know i play Games online are my siblings and my wife.
    I hid my gaming habit from my wife for the first four years of our relationship (before being married) and to this day i still play it off like its something i do because im bored.
    Its society, they see gaming as an activity for sub college kids that don't have better things to do with their lives and even though its become more acceptable its still sort of taboo for a grown ass man or women to play.
    I find that funny since its perfectly fine to sit at a bar getting blasted for hours on end or to sit on a sofa watching tv like a mindless drone but you get shit for playing video games.

I don't like the way our sub culture of gaming is treated. full of stereotypes. so I was glad something like this came along. I really hope the attitude changes one day...

• Jairoe03Jairoe03 Member Posts: 732

Originally posted by Shijeer

This.

- Shijeer

I don't really see too often of this anymore and video games are becoming more and more a part of culture. And I'm talking about video games in general not just MMORPG's. Another good example are my cousins in the Navy, they constantly are "recruiting" more people into WoW from the Navy and getting them to play and join their guilds.

I think it does matter how open you are and how you think of video games in general in a certain light. Shoot my cousins got me back into WoW after quitting for a year because of how they presented the game to me. They made it feel cool, sound cool and were very comfortable with talking about it.

I don't think it should be something to hide anymore when you got people from ages 10-60+ playing video games these days. People that don't play video games could possibly be in a minority when put in this perspective.

• ExplodingPodExplodingPod Member Posts: 57

In all honesty I expect eve players to be a lot more "normal" and accomplished in RL just because the game selects for a certain personality type.

You have to be able to make and stick to long-range plans.  You have to have excellent problem solving skills.  You have to be able to deal with (extreme) adversity and still succeed.

In my corp there are two MDs three JDs and a couple PhDs  that I know of for sure.  I never lasted in any other MMO for more than a couple weeks because they lack the challenge and intellectual satisfaction that eve provides.  It's purely anecdotal evidence but I remember meeting mostly kids in the other MMOs I've tried.

Congrats to the medal winner, thanks to CCP for a game that still kicks ass, and you guys trying to turn this into something negative (the ever-present eve haters): Yeah, we know you don't get it, but thanks for reliably coming around and making pathetic posts that make us laugh and make yourselves look sad and comical : )

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785
    Originally posted by Ichmen

maybe im a pessimist or just distrusting of people in general.. BUT where is the actual proof that person plays or even knows what EVE is??
    its not like he stood in a press box and said" woot i won now i got to get back to my raid in EVE" or any junk like that

grats to the person either way..

but as for EVE... id like more info/proof that he plays it before i roll out the red carpet

Yes we all know the chicks dig an EVE player.  He did give his Corp, alliance, and in game name and if you think about it that kinda does prove it. I'm sure those guys have been supporting him for a long time. Not to mention he just built a god medal rep for his Corp. And in EVE that is no small thing.

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

why was this not reported anywhere?

seems news worthy doesn't it?

I'm surprised it was reported anywhere tbh.
    Nthraller did a good show and we congratulated him on our forum. But trying to use him as some sort of publicity magnet would feel wrong and wouldn't be fair towards him.