Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

This game is just AWESOME!

24

Comments

  • NeoptolemusNeoptolemus LondonPosts: 242Member
    Originally posted by Diekfoo
     
    Only the last weeks we got: 
    * better performance now after the last patches (I got a 3,5 year old comp and I lag very little even at the crowded towns)
    * many bugs have been fixed even thou some remains (but right now some of them got low priority)
    * nice improvements of the new magic system (balancing, have to aim some, more spells, can't cast with weapons in hand)
    * the melee system is better (balancing, weapon stop when I hit something and don't continue as in all other games like if I just hit thin air, can chop of arms and heads)
    * more to build. We can now build Keeps and palisades and not just houses and bridges.
    * Day/Night system where the nights are really dark and we have to use torches (now they have/will added torches for newbies). It feels like when I played a barbarian outside Halas in EQ1 for the first time ... really exciting.  Darkness in combination with thieves ... :) (thieves have now snoop and pilfering animations (have to choose situation carefully now)
    * Improved basic AI (orcs added in the last patch and more NPC's) with a new AI patching system
    * More points of interest
    * Backgrounds 
    * etc ...


    What's otw:
    * weather system and a heat system
    * tabards
    * many more mobs (now when the new AI have been added they can start to add more mobs). Just 1/3 of the mobs have been added so far.
    * Lore
    * Epic mobs
    * Full access to Tindrem (large capital that will be several times larger than the Khurite capital)
    * Alchemy skills 
    * Cooking skills
    * and much more ....

     

    I think you're being extremely generous. Most of what you've written here is either only half-done or just added "in theory".

    * The better AI might be lurking somewhere in the code, but I still see gazelles running into trees, getting stuck in the floor, floating in the air etc.

    * The pallisades and keeps might be lurking somewhere in the code, but I've heard that a bug prevents them from appearing in game.

    * The day/night system doesn't work properly and each player is in a different time zone to another, some are stuck in perpetual night while others in daylight. There is no illumination outside of player-carried torches which only provide light for the bearer so unless you equip a torch you're in pitch black, even in populated cities.

    * The bugs are still in full force, with new ones being added as quickly as the old ones are fixed.

     

    Most of this is due to a poor development process. I keep banging on about this, but it really irritates me that an excellent game is being made to look ridiculous because the dev team are rushing things. Right now SV are pushing new features out of the door half-baked to make it look like rapid progress is being made. Instead of working on one thing at a time (e.g the day/night cycle) they work on 10 different things at once, plop them into the game without first ensuring they work properly then spend the next 2 weeks fixing up the mess they've made.

     

    Our job as beta testers cannot be effectively done if the features we're supposed to be testing don't even work. If Apple asked you to test their latest iPhone, and it arrived in pieces, all you'd do is write back and say "yeah, it's broken". You haven't found any bugs or problems with the phone, you've just pointed out the bleeding obvious. Similarly, we can't test the new content added by SV if it arrives in a state where it either simply doesn't work or behaves so erratically all you can say is "ummm... yeah it's broken".

  • RoleroRolero CadizPosts: 25Member
    Originally posted by Mortemia


    Guess I was playing some other Mortal Online then. 

     I know, in the sandbox the   experience playing is diferent each time. I have good experinces and bad, sometimes is funny and other times is boring.Tthe people create the experience not the lvl or the dungeons like everyone else mmo (themepark)

     

    And i say Yes... this game is not for all audiences 

     

  • davmac22davmac22 Jackson, MSPosts: 283Member

    The only thing I read from the OP is that he hopes the game gets better. 

    imageimageimage

  • DiekfooDiekfoo MalmöPosts: 583Member

    The OP said ...

     

    "Yep, it's what I been waiting years for.

    I can see through the bugs that are in BETA and see where this is going.

    Just awesome."

     

  • HanoverZHanoverZ SwanseaPosts: 1,239Member
    Originally posted by Diekfoo


    The OP said ...
     
    "Yep, it's what I been waiting years for.
    I can see through the bugs that are in BETA and see where this is going.
    Just awesome."
     

     

    ie "I like the idea, but not the implementation" 

    Games aren't built on hope.

    I win!!! LOL@U

  • SelfDestructProSelfDestructPro Oxnard, CAPosts: 323Member Uncommon

    *shakes head*

    So many misguided people...How and why do so many people fall for this crap.  Take it from someone who knows, this game has seen little to no improvement since day one of Block B beta.  The game is never going to get better.

  • DiekfooDiekfoo MalmöPosts: 583Member
    Originally posted by HanoverZ

    Originally posted by Diekfoo


    The OP said ...
     
    "Yep, it's what I been waiting years for.
    I can see through the bugs that are in BETA and see where this is going.
    Just awesome."
     

     

    ie "I like the idea, but not the implementation" 

    Games aren't built on hope.

    You assume lots ... why don't you ask OP. Maybe you get an answer you wouldn't like ... ;) 

    I think he want to say, that there are still bugs, but Star Vault have implemented lots of good solutions and is on track creating something really good. Some feats are not in yet and more content is now added, orcs have been added the last patch. This is the first time since I played Everquest I finally see a really interesting MMO being developed. The game have been improved on all levels. 

     

  • sacredcow4sacredcow4 Amherst, OHPosts: 193Member

    Too many company's use the tag BETA as an excuse for making money from an unfinished, buggy, and/or broken game.  Clearly people are playing more than testing. 

    Heaven and Hell is debatable - Karma is not.

  • DiekfooDiekfoo MalmöPosts: 583Member
    Originally posted by seniorfrito


    *shakes head*
    So many misguided people...How and why do so many people fall for this crap.  Take it from someone who knows, this game has seen little to no improvement since day one of Block B beta.  The game is never going to get better.

    It hasn't? I would like to say it has been improved on all levels. Since block B this have been added ...

     

    1. Being able to build player houses, bridges, keeps, palisades.

    2. Thieving added.

    3. Magic added and in the last patch 3 more spells was added.

    4. More mobs have been added like Satyrs, Razorback, Minotaurs, Rat humanoids, Orcs, ... even thou only 1/3 of the mobs are in. Now they can add more because the new AI is in. In other MMO's the AI just do the following when a player come close ... Ignore him or attack. In MO ... the mob can also flee ... 

    5. Better melee ... weapon now stop when hit something instead of that the swing continue throu the body like hit thin air, as the case is in all other MMO's. You can not just cut off heads but also arms.

    6. Better GUI.

    7. The advance crafting have been done.

    8. Skill book system have been added.

    9. 40% more of the continent have been opened up with several caves. You have to use torches to enter them. 

    10. Many more weapons to craft have been added.

    11. Mounted combat and mounted archery have been added.

    12. More NPC have been added.

    13. Day/Night system have been added in the last patch and soon we get a weather system and heat system. 

    14. The performance and stability of the client/server has improved lots.

    15. And much more ...

    So, ... what you say isn't really the whole truth. ;)

    What is going to be added in the coming patches is more mobs ... now that will go faster due to the AI is in place.

    Of course there are bugs in the game, but bugs will be fixed and things balanced.

     

     

  • GrrlGrrl B-Town, CAPosts: 364Member

    But is it like DF? You get ganked for no reason? Is there any PVE involved? Just wondering.

  • davmac22davmac22 Jackson, MSPosts: 283Member
    Originally posted by wh0astar


    But is it like DF? You get ganked for no reason? Is there any PVE involved? Just wondering.

     

    Barely any PVE content, have to use your imagination when you play.

    imageimageimage

  • DiekfooDiekfoo MalmöPosts: 583Member
    Originally posted by wh0astar


    But is it like DF? You get ganked for no reason? Is there any PVE involved? Just wondering.

    You can get ganked by no reason but MO have a flag system and you get criminal/murderer and can't get into certain cities without getting killed. So most people are blue/friendly people. But it's still full loot. If you start at a "blue" city like Fabernum or Meludi it's not often you get attacked because almost all people are blue.

     

    Now in the last patch they also added snoop/pilfering animation for thiefs. That means thieves have to carefully select the right situation in city to steal because people can see them doing that. So less people steals now. But things are constantly being balanced. More might come.

    MO is PvP and PvE. There are several mobs in the world to kill but today not all of the areas have mobs. In the last patch the new AI was added, and they added also the orcs. But only 1/3 of the mobs that Star Vault have done have been added to the game. Now with the new basic AI in place (but still more advance in any other MMO) Star Vault will start adding many more mobs. Don't worry. I am more of a PvE than a PvP player myself, even thou I really like the PvP in MO, ... it really feels much more realistic combat in other MMOs, where you just spam attacks/combos. In MO you can't just spam attacks.

    MO is intended to become both PvP and PvE.

    If you can see beyond some bugs and that not all is in yet,  I recommend you to test the beta. Otherwise you should wait some more weeks. Why not subscribe on their forum so you get their news emails, so you get info on whats happening in the game. They send out one email from time to time.

     

  • NeoptolemusNeoptolemus LondonPosts: 242Member
    Originally posted by Diekfoo


    It hasn't? I would like to say it has been improved on all levels. Since block B this have been added ...

     
    1. Being able to build player houses, bridges, keeps, palisades.
    2. Thieving added.
    3. Magic added and in the last patch 3 more spells was added.
    4. More mobs have been added like Satyrs, Razorback, Minotaurs, Rat humanoids, Orcs, ... even thou only 1/3 of the mobs are in. Now they can add more because the new AI is in. In other MMO's the AI just do the following when a player come close ... Ignore him or attack. In MO ... the mob can also flee ... 
    5. Better melee ... weapon now stop when hit something instead of that the swing continue throu the body like hit thin air, as the case is in all other MMO's. You can not just cut off heads but also arms.
    6. Better GUI.
    7. The advance crafting have been done.
    8. Skill book system have been added.
    9. 40% more of the continent have been opened up with several caves. You have to use torches to enter them. 
    10. Many more weapons to craft have been added.
    11. Mounted combat and mounted archery have been added.
    12. More NPC have been added.
    13. Day/Night system have been added in the last patch and soon we get a weather system and heat system. 
    14. The performance and stability of the client/server has improved lots.
    15. And much more ...
    So, ... what you say isn't really the whole truth. ;)
    What is going to be added in the coming patches is more mobs ... now that will go faster due to the AI is in place.
    Of course there are bugs in the game, but bugs will be fixed and things balanced.
     
     

     

    How much of what you've written actually works properly? Throwing in half-finished features that often don't even work full-stop doesn't count as adding them. Yes you could argue that technically a day and night system has been added, but in reality it's buggy, broken and not even finished. Similarly, better AI has been added, but in reality the pathfinding is still atrocious. More of the world has been added but in reality it's still mostly empty and unfinished. I have no doubt that once the weather and heat system is implemented, that too will be a half-arsed buggy mess that works for 10% of people and the rest it's just random.

     

    Being an open beta is not an excuse for them to rush things and release junk, all they're doing is putting off potential customers and actually hindering the development process because of all the additional time they spend fixing up the mess they could have avoided if they'd simply ensured it worked properly the first time. Then they'd be at the stage where they're just polishing up the remaining bugs with our help, instead of having to rebuild stuff during a phase of development where they should be putting the final touches on the project ready for release.

  • JakdstripperJakdstripper logan lake, BCPosts: 2,127Member Uncommon

    finily decided to try this game since beta it's free.

    Even thoug, for some weird reason, i liked it more then DF even in the current stage this is not a "game". it is so unfinised i wouldnt' even call it that. i'll be generous and say the game it's half finished, but i personaly will not pay to play this. probably wouldnt' even play it if it was free at the moment.  IF this game survives( big if ) and they actually manage with hard work  to finish it in a year or more i'll definately play it. too bad this kind of project wasn't backed by a bigger company, then maybe we'd have a semi finished and possibly quite fun game by now.

  • FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Somewhere in nowherePosts: 2,328Member Uncommon

    Imo ...

    MO is a sandbox...

    Without any  sand ... in the box ...

    Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

  • jango1337jango1337 Aurora, ILPosts: 217Member
    Originally posted by Fdzzaigl


    Imo ...
    MO is a sandbox...
    Without any  sand ... or a box ...

     

    fix'd for you

  • joshejoshe Strzelce Op.Posts: 379Member


    Originally posted by ibanz85
     Mortal is far better in most all graphics except trees/vegetation.   Ground textures suck but they are slowly adding grass to areas.  

    Most people say gfx is bad.
    But their opinion bases only on flora , not actually on player objects like: avatars, houses (villages), mobs ...
    I was astonished when I saw damn hands in UI, they are lookin like real !
    All textures are nice and crispy.

    There's no vegetation in MO. Trees aren't the ones which should be.
    Those are a ordinary, basic, static meshes coming with UE udk, which are more a placeholder. SV has to fix all bugs and provide more content, before they can start implementing speedtree.
    Until this won't occur, there's no sense in discussing the trees, vegetation and other things like grass etc.
    There are tons of screenies showing other games, how they look with, and without speedtree.
    The difference is huge.

    --
    /thread

    Remember, your advantage lies in your opponent's weakness (J)

  • JarnaJarna -Posts: 75Member
    Originally posted by joshe


     

    Originally posted by ibanz85

     Mortal is far better in most all graphics except trees/vegetation.   Ground textures suck but they are slowly adding grass to areas.  

     

    Most people say gfx is bad.

    But their opinion bases only on flora , not actually on player objects like: avatars, houses (villages), mobs ...

    I was astonished when I saw damn hands in UI, they are lookin like real !

    All textures are nice and crispy.

    There's no vegetation in MO. Trees aren't the ones which should be.

    Those are a ordinary, basic, static meshes coming with UE udk, which are more a placeholder. SV has to fix all bugs and provide more content, before they can start implementing speedtree.

    Until this won't occur, there's no sense in discussing the trees, vegetation and other things like grass etc.

    There are tons of screenies showing other games, how they look with, and without speedtree.

    The difference is huge.

     

    Thats true.

  • GobwarGobwar IisalmiPosts: 121Member

    Hercules, just lol.

    You can burn me, but i wont die.

  • ValkkeValkke East Hanover, NJPosts: 34Member
    Originally posted by Gobwar


    Hercules, just lol.

    Lol.

  • DomestoDomesto Faraway, CAPosts: 110Member

    Updated my OP.

  • KalvasflammKalvasflamm MünsterPosts: 48Member

    Honestly, I fail to see why anyone should bother with DF or MO. All the time I read something like "Remembers me of the good old UO days, just lacks some content" bla bla bla. Or "UO was far better, MO and DF are nothing else than PvPing, wheres the content?" bla bla bla.

    LOL, so instead of playing that bullshit, j u s t   PLAY   the original!

    UO is still there. Period!

    Even EA's UO is far better than anything else out there. Period!

    And if you do not like EA's UO, play the original Pre-AOS on freeshards like Defiance or Gamers. Period!

    And btw: chances are good, that there - finally - will be an official classic UO-shard (see for yourself: thread in UO Forum on MMORPG).

    Well, unfortunately, I can not force anyone to return to UO, all I can say is: It's your time wasting on crap like MO/DF.

  • Nasir64Nasir64 Massillon, OHPosts: 161Member

    Well some people prefer 3D worlds over a 2d diablo style.

  • rlmccoy1987rlmccoy1987 Raymond, MSPosts: 1,722Member
    Originally posted by Nasir64


    Well some people prefer 3D worlds over a 2d diablo style.

     

    Only if it works and has few bugs, which is not what MO is known for.

    image
  • joshejoshe Strzelce Op.Posts: 379Member


    Originally posted by rlmccoy1987

    Only if it works and has few bugs, which is not what MO is known for.

    Was UO totally bugfree at the release ?

    --
    /thread

    Remember, your advantage lies in your opponent's weakness (J)

Sign In or Register to comment.