Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aion: Producer's Letter: Next Game Update in Q2

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Aion Producer Chris "Kinslon" Hager has published the February edition of the Letter from the Producer on the official Aion website. In the letter, Mr. Hager discusses his role in communication as a producer, the game's next update, the blight of gold sellers, account security, addresses a number of criticisms surrounding Aion events, and more.

What I'm sure most of you are interested in, is news of when Aion's next update will be arriving, and Mr. Hager was pretty forthcoming in that regard. We now know that the next game update will be coming sometime in Q2 of this year, which will include, among other things, more content at lower levels, increased drop rates, and improved quest rewards.

Read the full Letter from Aion's Producer here.

Comments

• -exo-exo Member Posts: 564

It's good to see at the least that they are trying to take action on many of the problems a lot of us left for. This actually let's me give NC soft a little more respect than in the past. I do think though releasing the "vision trailer" still put a lot of people off now, seeing how this is what they had expected. Coming from a hardcore gamers point of view, if something is released like this and not much information is given it can be hard to accept that all it was, was just a vision.

To this day, people still ask about the game only because of the vision trailer. When they find out it is not in play yet, or ever , they decide to not bother with the game. Point being, I think they should have kept the trailer to themselves before releasing  it to the public because people are more upset that it's not in there, or doesn't plan to be in there for a long time.

Really though, it is good news at the least to know  that they are reading some of our feedback.

www.roxstudiodesigns.com

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842
    Originally posted by -exo

It's good to see at the least that they are trying to take action on many of the problems a lot of us left for. This actually let's me give NC soft a little more respect than in the past. I do think though releasing the "vision trailer" still put a lot of people off now, seeing how this is what they had expected. Coming from a hardcore gamers point of view, if something is released like this and not much information is given it can be hard to accept that all it was, was just a vision.

To this day, people still ask about the game only because of the vision trailer. When they find out it is not in play yet, or ever , they decide to not bother with the game. Point being, I think they should have kept the trailer to themselves before releasing  it to the public because people are more upset that it's not in there, or doesn't plan to be in there for a long time.

Really though, it is good news at the least to know  that they are reading some of our feedback.

The vision trailer was to show where Aion will hopefully get to, not what was supposed to be in-game at launch. Nothing more, nothing less. Matter fact, if you watch the youtube video, it states it's something they hope to have done come version 3.0. How people thought it was more than that is beyond me as they can view any in-game video to see what Aion is now. By the way, the title of the video is "AION The Tower of Eternity 3.0 Vision".

• -exo-exo Member Posts: 564
    Originally posted by mackdawg19

Originally posted by -exo

The vision trailer was to show where Aion will hopefully get to, not what was supposed to be in-game at launch. Nothing more, nothing less. Matter fact, if you watch the youtube video, it states it's something they hope to have done come version 3.0. How people thought it was more than that is beyond me as they can view any in-game video to see what Aion is now. By the way, the title of the video is "AION The Tower of Eternity 3.0 Vision".

I understand that completely 100%, and have since the "vision" trailer was released. But the problem still remains that people on you at the game for that trailer now.  Seeing many posts on even the forums here, that is what people expect. Even though it was just a "Vision", it probably shouldn't have been show. Peoples reactions are like this.

Post patch/ expansion /game: It's new! fresh! everything glows!

Meta: Alright so we are working through content

meta-meta: Ok so lets put things into theory and rip the game to shreds because we don't have what we want yet.

In Aion we went straight from  Post patch/expansion/game straight to meta-meta of complete shredding the game because of the lack of content/botters/spammers/ long grind no content. There was no in between. 

In another words my point is things like a "vision" trailer really shouldn't be released that early into a game, because now people expect such things the very next patch, is this not true??

www.roxstudiodesigns.com

• ndodgendodge Member UncommonPosts: 55

I see the vision trailer more as damage control of NCsoft. Aion's reviews have done less than stellar promotion for this game, and a wide consensus is that it is unpolished and a long grind. I lost my love for grinding back in the days of AC2, and as such, it has put me off this game more than the other issues. However, the vision trailer leaves me, and likely other mmo players, with a positive look towards the future of the game, as well as the idea of "it can't be that bad." Thus, we go and buy the game, try it out, then leave after our 30 days wishing we had listened more to the reviews and less on the impression they had given us.

I play in a sandbox.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,012
    Originally posted by ndodge

I see the vision trailer more as damage control of NCsoft. Aion's reviews have done less than stellar promotion for this game, and a wide consensus is that it is unpolished and a long grind. I lost my love for grinding back in the days of AC2, and as such, it has put me off this game more than the other issues. However, the vision trailer leaves me, and likely other mmo players, with a positive look towards the future of the game, as well as the idea of "it can't be that bad." Thus, we go and buy the game, try it out, then leave after our 30 days wishing we had listened more to the reviews and less on the impression they had given us.

But that would be so incorrect.

Aion is one of the most polished games out there. I haven't run across many bugs at all.

As far as the grind that is also incorrect. The WoW players are expecting the same levelign speed as WoW and the other players are not so enticed by the quests. I would be more inclined to support the latter group as most of the quests are kill x and bring to y.

Of course, games like LOTRO have the exact same types of quests but in many cases the LOTRO quests do try to weave more story into each one.

So the PvE players are getting a less than optimum experience on top of the fact that they have to deal with the pvp portion of the game. The PvP players are looking for a spirtual successor to Lineage 2 and don't like how Aion deals with pvp.

More than likely they will find it in Tera.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ndodgendodge Member UncommonPosts: 55

I did not say it was buggy, I said it was unpolished. The vision trailer was to show a polised future for the game. Right now though, the game lacks content typical of themepark mmos. The developer's post confirms that they themselves have acknowledged this. This, along with personal experience and the large number of posts regarding these issues, is why I have made that statement. I am glad that you stand up for the game though, as it is a promising game. It could use more positive reinforcement. That aside, I still feel it is a long grind, and in need of polishing.

I play in a sandbox.

I did not say it was buggy, I said it was unpolished. The vision trailer was to show a polised future for the game. Right now though, the game lacks content typical of themepark mmos. The developer's post confirms that they themselves have acknowledged this. This, along with personal experience and the large number of posts regarding these issues, is why I have made that statement. I am glad that you stand up for the game though, as it is a promising game. It could use more positive reinforcement. That aside, I still feel it is a long grind, and in need of polishing.

Usually when I hear/see the term "lack polish" it's in regards to either bugs or small little things such as animations or appropriate sounds, etc.

I think they acknowledge the "lack of content" in comparison to a world with WoW. One of the producers/devs, whoever, indicates this on a developer video that was uploaded to you tube. He indicates that players expect massive amounts of content in relation to that game because players have come to expect it.

But truth be told I've tried most of the games out there and I have problems accepting that Aion has less content than most of those games. It's just not true.

Has more content than AoC at launch, L2 at launch, DDO at launch, Archlord at launch, etc.

There are gaps, don't get me wrong. But when a player can get from pracicially 50 % into lvl 45 in one day doing quests it's hard for me to accept that it's a long grind or lacks content.

but I will admit that a good amount of their content feels uninspired and in some cases relies on repeatable quests.

But talking about polish, I don't consider not having housing polish. WoW doesn't have housing and it's an extremely polished game. They were not going to inlcude mounts becuase they didn't feel like it fit the world. that is not lacking of polish it's being true to the initial vision of the game world. The changing of the seasons? I don't know of many games that have that.

I would be more than happy to run down all of the issues that Aion has. And in some cases had. I find it deplorable that they weren't more proactive before the game launched in being ready for spammers and botters.

But when I see lack of polish i think of all of the small gestures the avatars make, the gear customizing feature, Sieges in at launch, the character customization the cut scenes (though truth be told some of them seem very unecessary, my opinion) and a relatively bug free game.

For an initial launch it is a very polished game.

Where NC needs to step up is in its communication which always has been deplorable.

I appreicate that you have issues with game and nothing I say will change that but if something rings untrue then it seems it needs to be discussed.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• PerlinpinpinPerlinpinpin Member Posts: 8

this letter is just a wall of text, for to explain to us that the patch 2.0 is delayed to the half of this year

i hope they will release something bigger than a little patch , for me they are slow (one year after the 1.5)

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

Personaly after playing through 32 levels on my main elyos character on yustiel, and playing every other race the changes they are mentioning seem to go agaisnt my play style, as all the mechanics worked just fine that they say are now changing.  Drop rates, I must have been one of the lucky ones but I got two blue items worth 1 million kinah each before I hit level 25.  There were so many quests to do at the early stage, plus with rifting, I dont se how content is lacking in any form.  

The only thing I can think of that put me off was how some of the groups of mobs were placed and there childish textures and movement.  Some of them looked like they came out of semi-street...but after geting over that...the game is ment to be played on a wide variety of machines and not all of the npcs can look like ragnoras in wow, I can get past that part...

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Aion is one of the most polished games out there. I haven't run across many bugs at all.

As far as the grind that is also incorrect. The WoW players are expecting the same levelign speed as WoW and the other players are not so enticed by the quests. I would be more inclined to support the latter group as most of the quests are kill x and bring to y.

Of course, games like LOTRO have the exact same types of quests but in many cases the LOTRO quests do try to weave more story into each one.

So the PvE players are getting a less than optimum experience on top of the fact that they have to deal with the pvp portion of the game. The PvP players are looking for a spirtual successor to Lineage 2 and don't like how Aion deals with pvp.

Yea aion was praised for its polish but the lack of content later on and the terrible grind were it's main downfalls. Also don't hold your breath for terra.

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

I'm not really sure who was complaining about lack of content at lower levels.  The end game is what concerns me.  There is almost nothing to do!  I quit the game recently, and I doubt I will come back until there is much more to do.  Obviously, there won't be more to do than older games, but right now it's just not enough to keep me paying.  Even WAR has more end game content, and it hasn't had content updates in a loooong time.  

Originally posted by Perlinpinpin

this letter is just a wall of text, for to explain to us that the patch 2.0 is delayed to the half of this year
    i hope they will release something bigger than a little patch , for me they are slow (one year after the 1.5)

I completely agree with you. And if they just release a patch, along with that patch, they are going to have to have a preview of something big.

If they don't give that they are going to lose what is left of the good will of the players.

• BarryManilowBarryManilow Member UncommonPosts: 701
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Lack of content, grinding, doesn't matter to me.  Aion with a bunch of my friends just got bored and went to our older games.  If you want good PvP, there are other games out there that's much better then Aion.  If you want good PvE there are also other games out there much better then this game.  

I will admit one thing, Aion's major hook was its beauty of land and its toons.   Even flying was great in the beginning, til we figured out that 95% of the time you spend in the game running (very slowly too) and not flying.

So to me, Aion was a huge failure. 

• joker007mojoker007mo Member Posts: 712

quite frankly the vision trailer was a grab ass for subs imo  they shouldnt show us what it could be/coulda been

i mean showing that gives ppl the impression this is whats going in the next patch  i know its intent wasnt to show patch updates but still its easy to see how ppl would get the wrong idea

• storm-dragonstorm-dragon Member Posts: 157

Every time one of those bozo's refers to me as a Daeva I want to cringe.

Gayest... designation ....ever

This sword here at my side dont act the way it should
    Keeps calling me its master, but I feel like its slave
    Hauling me faster and faster to an early, early grave
    And it howls! it howls like hell!

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Another example of why they should have never launched with 1.5. Saving that til now would have been much wiser. NC cannot be that out of touch with the western audience, can they? I understand they want to give more low level content so they can get more subs and beginners. Unfortunately, by the time the update hits, everyone will be 50, bored, and leave. I just think it was a bad strategy from the get go.

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Cool,

I'll prob re-sub for a month on the next expansion.