Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning: Update 1.3.4 Interview

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

MMORPG.com's Garrett Fuller asks a few questions of the team at Mythic Entertainment of the most recent update to their MMORPG Warhammer Online.

Screenshot

MMORPG.com:

How does changing the scenario system impact players the most? Will removing the less used scenarios help with wait time?

James Casey:

The biggest impact of the scenario system changes is that there is a higher concentration on scenario quality and consistency. For some of the more popular scenarios, we're extending them across multiple tiers, so players can learn the ropes in the lower tiers and be masters of the scenario by the endgame. Each tier also has unique scenarios, so there's something fresh to experience. In selecting those, we focused on scenarios that were more appropriate given the abilities players would have at those levels. This new scenario allocation also means that at any given time, people will always know what to expect from the scenario systems, the gameplay, and the rewards. This is especially important in Tier 4, where the dependency on the campaign meant that there could be as few as one scenario open for players. Now there will always be at least six.

As for wait time, removing the less used scenarios should help with wait time in a number of ways. With a consistent and manageable core group of scenarios (in tier 4 especially) that are comprised of some of the most popular scenarios, the pool of players for any given scenario should be larger, which in turn brings less wait time. Additionally, the scenarios that were selected for Tier 4 centered around a group of scenarios that have similar ending times and renown gain, so that players would be more likely to embrace the variety. With the addition of Warfront events, weekends will be buzzing with players revisiting old scenarios, which should drive bigger pools in a targeted fashion. We'll be monitoring the metrics of scenarios post 1.3.4 to see how well the new lineup affects wait time amongst a number of other measurable goals. ;)

Read the Update 1.3.4 Interview.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

In my opinion, one of the more vocal complaints in closed beta was that the endgame city siege had too much PvE. Wth Barnett hyping them to no end, about capturing a king, pillaging the enemy capital, etc,  it seemed so anti-climactic.

It always seemed to fall on deaf ears. Glad they are finally looking into it, but it should have been done a long time ago..

• gszebegszebe Member UncommonPosts: 214

Thanks for the interview! I'm glad that devs finally communicate again recently. (Though they should do it on a more regular basis, tbh.) I'm really looking forward to seeing those changes in action.

• MandaloreMandalore Member UncommonPosts: 131

And i still wait for an expansion announcement. :(

-------------------------------------
     Playing: Overwatch, Genshin Impact, Black Desert Mobile, Hundred Soul, Cyberpunk 2077
     Inactive: WAR, DAoC, RIFT, GW1/2, TSW, Age of Wulin, Black Desert, Blade & Soul, Skyforge

• HoobleyHoobley Member Posts: 421

I've got 10 free days on my account, I'll give it another shot for a bit.

Downloading the client now.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Marcus-

In my opinion, one of the more vocal complaints in closed beta was that the endgame city siege had too much PvE. Wth Barnett hyping them to no end, about capturing a king, pillaging the enemy capital, etc,  it seemed so anti-climactic.
    It always seemed to fall on deaf ears. Glad they are finally looking into it, but it should have been done a long time ago..

The main reason for that really is that they cut out the 4 additional cities and put in some fast PvE stuff  instead. When you are fighting for control over your race city things would be very different, if your side lost 2 all the players would be crowded in the last city.

The races of the same side were also originally intended to be able to backstab eachother, that would also add a lot to the endgame.

Keeps and the PvE just is a fast fix for this but the game really needs those cities to be whole, canceling a huge part of the endgame is seldom a good idea.

And to truly fix the endgame they will have to add those cities, nothing else will be enough. They said that they were almost finished but not polished enough and would soon be patched in when they launched but I guess that was a lie and they never even started on them.

I am not sure they can fix the endgame now with so few employees, but one can always hope. 

• VormirVormir Member UncommonPosts: 135

Thanks for this Garrett.

It seems there are nice changes ahead.

I would like to hear about a npc fix though. The mobs are bugged, running away from the players and resetting their health. It is very annoying in sieges specially when they pick on the healers.

Maybe someone will read this and add it to the "to do" list.

Happy gaming,

V

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

I was kinda hoping they would add the skaven, lizardmen, and more content to the game for me to come back. Maybe I was being too optimistic.

(BBBBBWWWWAAAAAHHHHH fires plunger at Mythic for ruining a good IP)

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by Marcus-

The main reason for that really is that they cut out the 4 additional cities and put in some fast PvE stuff  instead. When you are fighting for control over your race city things would be very different, if your side lost 2 all the players would be crowded in the last city.

The races of the same side were also originally intended to be able to backstab eachother, that would also add a lot to the endgame.

Keeps and the PvE just is a fast fix for this but the game really needs those cities to be whole, canceling a huge part of the endgame is seldom a good idea.

And to truly fix the endgame they will have to add those cities, nothing else will be enough. They said that they were almost finished but not polished enough and would soon be patched in when they launched but I guess that was a lie and they never even started on them.

I am not sure they can fix the endgame now with so few employees, but one can always hope. 

It may be my age, but i'm pretty certain we were testing city sieges before the (announced) cut of the other capitals, i could be wrong, and I wish I could be positive. 

I (personally) think the current endgame was (always) their intent, other than the other cities of course, and I know they were pretty adamant in thier defense of how they wanted it to work, despite the cries of the testers. I also don't entirely believe their reasoning for cutting them, and considering the feedback they were getting, perhaps they should have reconsidered, as that is obviously why you have a closed beta.

Yes, money, time, EA, but in my opinion their end game was almost the complete opposite of what they were selling, and look where it got them. Theres other issues of course, but for me, this was always the biggest.

As I said, I am glad its finally getting a revisit, though I highly doubt you'll see the addition of the the other two capitals.

• A1learjetA1learjet Member UncommonPosts: 258

Well sad  to say  with the new patch and  Day  1 always  being the  busiest  of  any new  patch.

That  the lower tiers stil (t2  and t3) have  hrs on end  of  waiting  to get into scenarios,In t4  sure its nearly insta pop but once  mor e the dead  zone  of  t3(more so then t2) is  just that dead  zone ,waite  for  Land  of  dead and  grind  there,Would be nice if  they could  force /add more bos  or somethign into t3  to encourage actually  rvr and scenario pops  for this  tier.

Played since  launch and this is  the tier  where alot of players start to leave  the game.

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

Its great to hear that they are making the city sieges more about RvR and less about PvE. I remember our first city siege and how people were just farming the instances instead of actually fighting each other. I was so discouraged that I didnt log on for a week after that.

Have they done anything to the fortresses or are they still instanced? When I quit I swore I wouldnt go back until the lifted the 'temporary' cap on players duty a fort raid.

• UtopiUtopi Member Posts: 61
    Originally posted by Murashu

Its great to hear that they are making the city sieges more about RvR and less about PvE. I remember our first city siege and how people were just farming the instances instead of actually fighting each other. I was so discouraged that I didnt log on for a week after that.

Have they done anything to the fortresses or are they still instanced? When I quit I swore I wouldnt go back until the lifted the 'temporary' cap on players duty a fort raid.

They removed the fortresses a long time ago and the games keeps have two ramps + multi upgrade systems.    They forgot to mention the best part of this patch.   There is no 30 minute city safe mode timer :)

Originally posted by Utopi

They removed the fortresses a long time ago and the games keeps have two ramps + multi upgrade systems.    They forgot to mention the best part of this patch.   There is no 30 minute city safe mode timer :)

Wow I guess I havent been paying attention. I'll have to go back and read how they are doing it now. Its a shame they removed the forts instead of fixing them though, they were the highlight of WAR RvR before they instanced them.

• UtopiUtopi Member Posts: 61
    Originally posted by Murashu

Wow I guess I havent been paying attention. I'll have to go back and read how they are doing it now. Its a shame they removed the forts instead of fixing them though, they were the highlight of WAR RvR before they instanced them.

They will come back as relic raids once they figure out the best way to implement it. I personally never liked the FORTS but it might be better now that the server can handle 400v400 battles without any lag.

• cagancagan Member UncommonPosts: 445

so finally they are adding the other 2 cities that they announced they would add after a few months after launch?

LOL...

I had high hopes for this game and wasted 80 bucks on collectors edition, i wont resubscribe to this POS even if its free.

Please let it die in peace....RIP WAR

They will come back as relic raids once they figure out the best way to implement it. I personally never liked the FORTS but it might be better now that the server can handle 400v400 battles without any lag.

The forts actually felt like they had a reason. We wanted to defend them because we didnt want the other team having access to our city. The keeps were just for gear farming so people wanted the other team to take them.

The lag was the one thing I disliked about forts, but that was due to bad design (forcing everyone into the same small room) and buggy code(clicking on a fort gate would drop my FPS from 75ish down to 1-4, but as soon as I untargeted the gate my system would run smooth again).

If they make city sieges fun, the lack of forts wouldnt be so bad.

• gonnogonno Member Posts: 2

Although I had a good amount of fun in this game, what eventually led to me leaving was the lack of people pvping. Most everyone was hiding in the group duel instances. I kept hearing dev's spew the 'War is everywhere!' stuff, yet I could rarely find pvp anyplace. Imo it would have helped a ton to not have terrain barriers all over keeping the 2 warring factions seperate.

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931
    Originally posted by gonno

Although I had a good amount of fun in this game, what eventually led to me leaving was the lack of people pvping. Most everyone was hiding in the group duel instances. I kept hearing dev's spew the 'War is everywhere!' stuff, yet I could rarely find pvp anyplace. Imo it would have helped a ton to not have terrain barriers all over keeping the 2 warring factions seperate.

Same here.  The best time is when they have some kind of trial. After that its DEAD..

• VasburgVasburg Member Posts: 65

You know you are facing a DEAD game if asking a dev about this YEAR's plans yields you the answer "more inventory space".

End of the month the long-promised mass lay-offs will begin. And from the interview it's already apparent that this game is maintenance mode; there are no long-term perspectives. All they think about is "the next patch in 3 months" (with great content like... more inventory space!).

Anyway, long time ago I said that WAR will never see its first expansion. Just a pity. There was so much potential.

• gszebegszebe Member UncommonPosts: 214

Honestly, I'll never understand those who wish any game's death. If you don't like it, you don't have to pay for it and play it, fair enough. But what's the benefit from if it 'finally' dies? Weird...

• noblotnoblot Member Posts: 287

I'm hoping that this is going to be the year when this game takes off again.

Tier 1 is manic, massive amount of action - ah its free I thought, what about Tier 2. Well much to my surprise, again full BG charging around the PvP lakes and massive keep attacks and defense - all excellent fun.

Currently I don't have any T3 to check that, and I daren't log my T4 Shaman back on till I have worked out how to re-spec :)

What this games now needs is a shot of adrenaline - new races please :)

• thanoskkkthanoskkk Member UncommonPosts: 230

Its time for me to play warhammer again!

He that lives upon Hope dies farting.

Originally posted by Zeblade

Same here.  The best time is when they have some kind of trial. After that its DEAD..

Funny, I am on Badlands, and I had a day off yesterday, I was able to find PvP from about 9am till about 8pm est. Granted I had things to around the house, so I wasn't constantly logged in, but I never felt like I had to wait for PvP.

I was playing my T4 character, but i would have to say, thats pretty much the opposite of dead, yes?

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

The game is far from dead. Hell even T2 and T3 are quite busy on Iron Rock. I m having fun again at least.

• VormirVormir Member UncommonPosts: 135
    Originally posted by Leucent

The game is far from dead. Hell even T2 and T3 ae quite bust on Iron Rock. I m having fun again at least.

Same on the european servers.

I guess those who say that WAR is dead, are not playing the game. Instead of spending time posting stupid comments on the forums they should be playing their favourite games.

Give them time to grow up :)

WAAAAAAGGHHHH!!!!

Peace and Happy Gaming

• noothernoother Member Posts: 5

Speaking of karak-azgal server(EU),  it is almost always full of action. Indeed last night there were at least 6-7 wbs at each side in RvR, if not more. And much more ppl for scenarios and dungeons.

I am sure other EU server Karak norn is  almost the same.

So it is far from dead, over populated would be more true i suppose for karak-azgal.

Game performance also increased a lot. Still have some  lag from time to time ofc but only when there is a real zerg of players.

I know they have upgraded the hardware for karak-azgal server, dont know others.

Also havent checked t2/t3 but i have a t1 alt and t1 is full of pvp and scs(scs pop almost instantly) too.

One last word, end game needs some improvement for sure and hopefully it is coming with 1.3.5(next patch).