Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finally going to try EVE

TektonTekton Member UncommonPosts: 86

So I'm about to give EVE a shot, finally. I've been interested in a long time but other games have come in between me and EVE all the damn time.

I heard that CCP have made it alot more newbie friendly with some tutorials and I also heard about the upcoming expansion that appealed to me alot. However, even with the tutorials it's a pretty steep lurning curve I've been told. Are there any friendly corps out there that might have the place for an utter noob when it comes to sci-fi mmo's and who got the time and patience to answer probably some somewhat stupid questions?

Comments

• XennithXennith Member Posts: 1,244

EVE uni

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

To elaborate further, here's a link to Eve University for quick reference.

www.eve-ivy.com/

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TektonTekton Member UncommonPosts: 86

Thanks alot!

• pauldriverpauldriver Member Posts: 198

Welcome to New Eden:)

Jam is sticky.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Some basic pieces of advice:

(1) If you played other MMOs a lot, try and forget everything you learned in them as much as possible, particularly any expectations you have about other players being limited in how they can interact with you, and even more particularly any ideas about character advancement being the aim of the game rather than just another tool to advance your goals.

(2) If any warnings pop up, read them.

(3) While you will often be told "trust no-one", that's not quite true. What you should do is treat trusting anyone as if it were gambling. What are the odds? What are the stakes? What can I afford to lose? What's in it for him? Scams and ganks are perfectly legal in EVE, even in hi-sec.

(4) When older players give you advice about fitting ships, for the love of god, at least try following their suggestions.

(5) Don't listen to the morons who will advise you to train nothing but Learning skills to start with. Yes, doing that is more "efficient" when it comes to accumulating SP, but you're paying to play the game. A good rule of thumb is to spend no more than 50% of your training time on Learnings until you have basics at 4, advanced at 3. Then just leave them alone for a month or two.

(6) Don't listen to the people who tell you that you shouldn't leave hi-sec "until you're ready" and then tell you you will need x million SP or y ship class or z amount of ISK. You're "ready" to leave hi-sec when you want to leave hi-sec. I know people who left to live in 0.0 on their second day. I went to 0.0 after about 2 months, and I've frequently wished I went earlier. I would however recommend completing all the tutorials before leaving hi-sec.

(7) Don't listen to the idiot moron griefers who spread the pernicious lie that you need 10/20/40M SP and a Battleship/HAC/Dreadnaught "to be competitive" at PvP. Player skill beats character skill in PVP. The best way for a new player to "compete" at PvP is to get out there and do it. Want to learn to PvP? Join Red vs Blue. They will accept anyone no matter what. They aren't a training corp, they exist purely to provide PvP on demand in Hi-sec. You can leave or rejoin at any time. If you get a taste for blood, you can get some great training with Agony Unleashed, who will teach you PVP procedures more formally and thoroughly.

(8) You don't have to grind missions to make ISK. Missioning is the EVE equivalent of being on welfare - a boring, low-level income for people who can't find a real job. There's a huge and complex economy out there, with a lot of opportunities for a thoughtful alert player with a fast, cheap ship.

(9) Do ALL the tutorials.

(10) Everything I've told you is a cheap dirty lie designed to make you lose your ship to me because I'm a nasty amoral griefer who doesn't want filthy noobs like you cluttering up my nice, l33t game.

Welcome to EVE.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• lethyslethys Member UncommonPosts: 585
    Originally posted by Malcanis

Some basic pieces of advice:
    (1) If you played other MMOs a lot, try and forget everything you learned in them as much as possible, particularly any expectations you have about other players being limited in how they can interact with you, and even more particularly any ideas about character advancement being the aim of the game rather than just another tool to advance your goals.
    (2) If any warnings pop up, read them.
    (3) While you will often be told "trust no-one", that's not quite true. What you should do is treat trusting anyone as if it were gambling. What are the odds? What are the stakes? What can I afford to lose? What's in it for him? Scams and ganks are perfectly legal in EVE, even in hi-sec.
    (4) When older players give you advice about fitting ships, for the love of god, at least try following their suggestions.
    (5) Don't listen to the morons who will advise you to train nothing but Learning skills to start with. Yes, doing that is more "efficient" when it comes to accumulating SP, but you're paying to play the game. A good rule of thumb is to spend no more than 50% of your training time on Learnings until you have basics at 4, advanced at 3. Then just leave them alone for a month or two.
    (6) Don't listen to the people who tell you that you shouldn't leave hi-sec "until you're ready" and then tell you you will need x million SP or y ship class or z amount of ISK. You're "ready" to leave hi-sec when you want to leave hi-sec. I know people who left to live in 0.0 on their second day. I went to 0.0 after about 2 months, and I've frequently wished I went earlier. I would however recommend completing all the tutorials before leaving hi-sec.
    (7) Don't listen to the idiot moron griefers who spread the pernicious lie that you need 10/20/40M SP and a Battleship/HAC/Dreadnaught "to be competitive" at PvP. Player skill beats character skill in PVP. The best way for a new player to "compete" at PvP is to get out there and do it. Want to learn to PvP? Join Red vs Blue. They will accept anyone no matter what. They aren't a training corp, they exist purely to provide PvP on demand in Hi-sec. You can leave or rejoin at any time. If you get a taste for blood, you can get some great training with Agony Unleashed, who will teach you PVP procedures more formally and thoroughly.
    (8) You don't have to grind missions to make ISK. Missioning is the EVE equivalent of being on welfare - a boring, low-level income for people who can't find a real job. There's a huge and complex economy out there, with a lot of opportunities for a thoughtful alert player with a fast, cheap ship.
    (9) Do ALL the tutorials.
    (10) Everything I've told you is a cheap dirty lie designed to make you lose your ship to me because I'm a nasty amoral griefer who doesn't want filthy noobs like you cluttering up my nice, l33t game.

Welcome to EVE.

QFT

Also, EVE University is a good corporation to join if they are recruiting, which they usually are unless they're deep into some combat.  Which they also usually are.

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

Confirming this. You can trust me. Promised.

Good read people, thanks for taking the time.

I think I will wait a bit with PvP until I actually know what the hell I am doing.

Damn 12 hour shifts at work, I wanna get started like now! Arr!

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Use these two third party utilities:

evemon.battleclinic.com/ - Eve Mon, excellent program for creating optimal training plans for your characters.

www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp - Eve Fitting Tool, excellent utility for experimenting with different ship fittings.

Both these utilities have helped me immensely and I warmly recomend them. Observe that using your limited API key is recommended when using both these programs (specially Eve Mon) and you can get that on your Eve character account management page.

However beware of other 3PPs as there are alot of untrusted ones that will try and steal your account info. Those two however are safe.

Also keep in mind that the death penalty is harsch, more so than any other MMOG on the market so always have an up to date clone, insure ships that are worth insuring and never go into lowsec space (lower than 0.5) unless you are ready to get ganked by pirates.

Furthermore as money is very important in this game there are ALOT of scammers trying to scam you out of your money so beware and catious about everyone wanting your ISK.

As for getting ISK, the easiest way for new players without a large contact network is to train for a Battlecruiser (Drake is the best for NPC killing) and do level 3 NPC combat missions and when you have the skills for a good Battleship and fittings (like a Raven) you can try level 4s. But those are tough and usually requires months of training to be able to solo.

Finally, when you realise you want to invest long therm in a character then get atleast +3 implants, make a training plan in Eve Mon utility and remap your attributes as suggested in that utility. However be aware that if someone (PvP) pods you (i.e. destroys your ship and the escape pod) you will lose ALL implmants.

Originally posted by Tekton

Good read people, thanks for taking the time.

I think I will wait a bit with PvP until I actually know what the hell I am doing.

Damn 12 hour shifts at work, I wanna get started like now! Arr!

Well as I said before, the only way to be "ready" for PVP is to start PVPing. Skillwise, if you can use a microwarp drive, a web, a warp scrambler/disrupter, and some kind of weapon, you're good to go. Everything after that is icing on the cake.

As for your 12 hour shift, take satisfaction in knowing that all those level 1 and 2 skills are still training up while you're offline.

Thanks for all the advice, they are greatly appreciated. If you reckon you got the time send me a pm with your in-game name, I'm sure I'll have alot more questions once I get in game.

This is my in game name. I never hide behind alts or aliases because I stand by everything I say.

This is my in game name. I never hide behind alts or aliases because I stand by everything I say.

Like any real man should.

(See what I did there?)

Joke if you like. In EVE - just as in real life - a reputation for truthfulness has value.

I wasn't joking.

Also notice how my forum name is identical to my ingame name. Heck, my ALT is named after me. All my other alts are anagrams of my name.

• CohasCohas Member UncommonPosts: 152

Trying the game out on a 14 day and i have too say its very enjoyable. 

Have No Fear Cohas is here!!!

Originally posted by Cohas

Trying the game out on a 14 day and i have too say its very enjoyable. 

What games did you play before? Just to compare to myself.

So I've been spending my entire weekend at work, and reading on this forum and other places of interests when I get the time, since I got a slacky job I've read alot.

I was wondering though, since I'll activate my 14 day trial tomorrow, after I'm done with the tutorial and applying to eve uni and all that. It's time for training skills! Right? Well, spontaneously I feel I will lean in to the manufacturing/mining part of the game to start with, but I guess to be successfull with this I need to make some ISK first, right? Can I do this right away with mining/manufacturing or should I start with training  in to combat skills and run missions?

Originally posted by Tekton

So I've been spending my entire weekend at work, and reading on this forum and other places of interests when I get the time, since I got a slacky job I've read alot.

I was wondering though, since I'll activate my 14 day trial tomorrow, after I'm done with the tutorial and applying to eve uni and all that. It's time for training skills! Right? Well, spontaneously I feel I will lean in to the manufacturing/mining part of the game to start with, but I guess to be successfull with this I need to make some ISK first, right? Can I do this right away with mining/manufacturing or should I start with training  in to combat skills and run missions?

If you want to go straight into industry then you can. Many players find it convenient to learn some basic combat skills because missioning is an easy, if tedious way of gaining some starting capital. Running missions is also a way to improve your standings with NPC corporations, which in turn improves your refining efficiency when using stations belonging to that corp. You'll also need good faction standings if you want to set up a POS (player owned station) in Empire space.

One thing I would say - the margins on T1 ship manufacturing are wafer-thin. You'll need optimal skills to compete with the pros here. You'll probably do better manufacturing T1 modules and selling them outside the main trade hubs.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

The main problem with industry and trade activities is that you will not gain much help.

Not many people are willing to give out secrets that would create unnecessary competition for their business. Same goes for your own plans where you will not want to share the possible market opportunities you discovered.

It is like giving your potentional enemy senstitive information about your battle plans.

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Good luck, and be sure and spend time talking to your NPC corp mates.   Met most of my friends in my original npc corp that I still know 5 years later

So after spending my first day in EVE I'm having a blast, it's hard as hell but I'm enjoying every bit of it!

One question though, I'm doing the exploration tutorial missions, more precise the "Gravimetric site scanning" one, I find a ton of anomalies but no gravimetric ones, am I doing something wrong? I covered alot of space, hitting up like 15-20 anomalies but no gravimetric, working as intended?

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

You wont know they are gravametric until you have a certain signal strength.

Go closer and scan any of those anomolies, I've not done that tutorial but im guessing they are all gravs.

• nikoanikoa Member Posts: 70
    Originally posted by Tekton I find a ton of anomalies but no gravimetric ones, am I doing something wrong? I covered alot of space, hitting up like 15-20 anomalies but no gravimetric, working as intended?

That mission is hard and not newbie friendly.  I had the same problem as well.

Step 1: Go to youtube and look for scanning videos, they will help a lot

Step 2: Deploy four of your probes and make their area search big, like 1 stage lower than HUGE, and send them everywhere.

Step 3:  Bookmark any other 100% sites you find, like RADAR etc cause you will have to find them later anyway for that mission.

Step 4: You find a gravimetric training site but its not 99%.  Check out where you found it, send all the probes there and make their scranning area smaller.

Step 5: Repeat step 4 applying what you learned in the youtube videos till you have it 100%.  Warp to it and score :)

Current Games: EVE, WoW
    Have Played: EQ1, EQ2, CoH, CoX, MXO, GW, Silk Road, WAR, AoC, Anarchy Online, UO, DDO
    Originally posted by nikoa

Originally posted by Tekton I find a ton of anomalies but no gravimetric ones, am I doing something wrong? I covered alot of space, hitting up like 15-20 anomalies but no gravimetric, working as intended?

That mission is hard and not newbie friendly.  I had the same problem as well.

Step 1: Go to youtube and look for scanning videos, they will help a lot

Step 2: Deploy four of your probes and make their area search big, like 1 stage lower than HUGE, and send them everywhere.

Step 3:  Bookmark any other 100% sites you find, like RADAR etc cause you will have to find them later anyway for that mission.

Step 4: You find a gravimetric training site but its not 99%.  Check out where you found it, send all the probes there and make their scranning area smaller.

Step 5: Repeat step 4 applying what you learned in the youtube videos till you have it 100%.  Warp to it and score :)

Agreed and agreed, although I have to hand it to CCP, by the end of the tutorial I kind of got the hang of it. It was the most frustrating thing I've done in-game (and more frustrating than alot of other games as well) yet, but when I got the hang of it it was pretty fun to be honest.

Like a guy in random chat said: "Imagine the probes are boobs, just jiggle them around a bit" <-- truth!

So now that I got the tutorial missions done, located the start of the epic arc and feel I got the basics down, it's time to go in depth... Like researching what battlecruiser to go for, what moduleskills to train etc etc. Any hints are very welcome, I'm Galente if it matters. Probably wont use the BC for a very long time, I'll use it for lvl 3 missions until I can afford a BS (any hints regarding that is also welcome!)

Edit: Oh and I am happy to say that I will be a permanent part of New Eden as of friday, I'm already hooked to the game and now I want to be able to train the fun skills (BC(BS(Industry ships) so I'm signing up! It's the hardest game I've ever tried but also the most rewarding one.