Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Never thought I'd be the one saying this but...

johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663

I'm leaving the MMORPG community indefinitely. I'm dropping the true MMOs altogether. I've got the one I just got signed on to to work on and that's it. I'm done. I've overstayed my welcome.

It's been affecting me in some pretty bad ways recently. Mainly I've spent way too much time online and affecting my personal life pretty heavily, mainly with me being less social recently. There have been other things I think are attributed to making quite a few of my friendships online, but that's the big one.

I just need more time in the real world. I really am wasting my life on this. You guys might catch me on Gears or maybe even Minecraft some day, but I'm done with the world of subscription gaming.

So, good luck to all of you that are still enjoying it. I've just realized there's a time when a past-time really does start taking over in a bad way.

Au revoir,

- Matt

Comments

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762

Can I have your stuff?

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• NicooNicoo Member UncommonPosts: 236

Like everyone else.. You will get bored on life and you will come back. Goodbye.

Oh and yeah, if you have a hunte or a rogue or anything fun like that in any game, I'll take it from you :D

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    Originally posted by johnmatthais

I'm leaving the MMORPG community indefinitely. I'm dropping the true MMOs altogether. I've got the one I just got signed on to to work on and that's it. I'm done. I've overstayed my welcome.
    It's been affecting me in some pretty bad ways recently. Mainly I've spent way too much time online and affecting my personal life pretty heavily, mainly with me being less social recently. There have been other things I think are attributed to making quite a few of my friendships online, but that's the big one.
    I just need more time in the real world. I really am wasting my life on this. You guys might catch me on Gears or maybe even Minecraft some day, but I'm done with the world of subscription gaming.
    So, good luck to all of you that are still enjoying it. I've just realized there's a time when a past-time really does start taking over in a bad way.
    Au revoir,

- Matt

Good luck man.

I too have unsubbed to all my mmorpg.

Deciding to stick with my single player games as they have less of a time commitment to them.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

RL > Interent

Wish you all best and take care!

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

Watch out for the hype machine on real life ;)

• TheMaelstromTheMaelstrom Member UncommonPosts: 393

I wish you well, Matt. It's hard to find a good balance between your gaming life and your real life, especially as you grow older and have more responsibilities. My advice is to find a game that appeals to your gaming needs, but will allow you to partake on a casual basis. That way you can get your fix, but you won't feel obligated to log in.

Good luck in all you do.

No godless person can comprehend those minute distinctions
    in doctrine that provide true believers excuse for mayhem.
    -Glen Cook

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Playing MMO's is not the problem.   The problem is not knowing when to give it a break.

If you carry on playing even though its not fun anymore or if its starting to have bad effects on your life then it gets worse and worse until you suffer burn out.

Oh and... "being sociable" is way over rated!... it means what? Going to the pub? Visiting more family and friends?... its totally boring and costly and possibly has more negative effects than playing MMO :D

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

I've heard this song and dance before. He'll be back, except when he returns he'll have a different perspective. He'll of learned that MMORPG's is just another game genre, and as such each game released for the MMORPG genre should be judged individually on whether or not they are fun to play. Not whether or not it lasts this or that long, or if it has this or that traditional feature, or if this playstyle or that playstyle is catered to. He'll realize that if a game is fun, play it, if not, don't play it. It gets no simpler than that.

Having a hardcore gaming life-style is not sustainable. Games don't change enough, fast enough, so they get boring and repetitive when played the same way for years. Eventually we all burn out, leave, and return as casual gamers. Gaming is an entertaining hobby, and I enjoy it greatly, but it's been a while since I've been able to call myself a hardcore gamer. Life is where it counts, and it comes first.

• malrodmalrod Member Posts: 87

i wish you the best matt, and i also agree that it can be a difficult balance between real life and your "gaming" life. i was truly addicted to daoc from 04 thru 08 and then one day my comp crashed and i never went back. it was like quitting cold turkey from cigarettes. i read more now(currently reading malazan, book of the fallen series) and troll these forums hehe but i/ve never gone back. my best friend is a gamer, he currently plays WOW and he is always asking me to join him. but so far ive resisted. knowing that my personality will ALWAYS find another level is needed, or better armour or weps or the need to HELP others i remain in MMOPPG anonymous.

alas, as i get closer to retirement age and my family rsponsibilities lessen then i will be the first one to admit "Ill be back" bigger and better. until then i "troll" . good luck to ya matt.

live long and prosper
    strength and honor

if urgent do it yourself
    if you have time-delegate it
    if you have forever-form a committee

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by sadeyx

Playing MMO's is not the problem.   The problem is not knowing when to give it a break.
    If you carry on playing even though its not fun anymore or if its starting to have bad effects on your life then it gets worse and worse until you suffer burn out.

It's not a question of "knowing", though. 

Alcoholics "know" what they are doing is bad for them, and they know that NOW is the time to quit.  They just don't.  Alcoholism and gaming addiction are quite similar in this respect.

When anything starts having a negative impact on your life, it's a perfectly good idea to get rid of it, altogether.  If you feel you have become addicted to such a thing, the best way to deal with it is to nip it in the bud altogether or the negative aspects will keep coming back.

I applaud the OP for acknowledging a problem in his life.  Good luck!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I take time outs from MMOs like every year or so, a month or maybe more to do real stuff instead. Try that, and then decide if you want to go back or not, it will get you some perspective.

A holiday to a warm country with no computer also helps a lot. 

• sacredcow4sacredcow4 Member UncommonPosts: 249

Cya buddy, hope you decide to stick around LinkRealms still!

I've been here a while...
  • MavisPMavisP Member Posts: 181

Dont blame you. Been MMO free all winter myself. Take care.

• RealmLordsRealmLords Member Posts: 358

Good luck Sir, and best wishes for a happy future!

Ken

www.ActionMMORPG.com
    One man, a small pile of money, and the screwball idea of a DIY Indie MMORPG? Yep, that's him. ~sigh~

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827

Good luck with your real life i hope you find that you have missed when you where in virtual worlds.

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

• Esther-ChanEsther-Chan Member Posts: 288

Sad to see you go, but it really bothers me that people blame the games for their problems. I hate to say this, because it makes me seem like a jerk, but you really have nobody to blame but yourself.

Like all things, MMORPGs are meant to be played in moderation. You've identified the addiction and have taken the right steps at least.

EDIT: The only thing I know

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

I'm glad you were strong enough to realize you were lacking in real life due to gaming as i did, i've been having LOADS of fun just playing ps3 or a casual MMO when i have time to instead of having that as a main focus and im pretty happy. Anyways you've been a important part of these forums, i think we helped quite a bit of people pick a game they'll like eh? and i will miss you, so good luck in whatever you may do in life.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440
    Originally posted by Esther-Chan

Sad to see you go, but it really bothers me that people blame the games for their problems. I hate to say this, because it makes me seem like a jerk, but you really have nobody to blame but yourself.

Like all things, MMORPGs are meant to be played in moderation. You've identified the addiction and have taken the right steps at least.

Sometimes you just don't realize you have a problem until some event occurs and your eye open.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

:(

I'll be sad to see you go.  I thought you were one of the better posters and you've came across info at times that were news to me.

Still, sounds like a wise move on your part if you notice mmos have begun affecting other aspects of your life.  Good luck and hope you work things out.  All the best to you.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• davidbzrdavidbzr Member Posts: 71
    Originally posted by johnmatthais

Au revoir,

- Matt

You're going? Just when we was going to start playing Ryzom xd

Well, good luck with real life Matt I hope you do well and you find the way to combine and balanced online games and to see them again as a hobby and just another way to get out of normal life's worries for a bit...

mmm If you want and I'ld apprecited it I can play your Ryzom.. It'ld be the only way I can sub or that I can have a sub account from Venezuela...

well, thank you for all the forum's answers ;D

and let's make it an à tout à l'heure!

• eldanesh117eldanesh117 Member Posts: 141

Farewell and best of luck in RL, Matt.

TGWTETIPTNMAITC! -Gary Whitta

• Capn23Capn23 Member Posts: 1,529

Awww! This sucks! I always looked forward to reading your posts! It sucks that your leaving. the MMORPG.com community is losing a great member :(

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Guys! I'm hopelessly lost in a mountain of mole hills! Them damn moles!

• Esther-ChanEsther-Chan Member Posts: 288
    Originally posted by Gabby-air

Originally posted by Esther-Chan

Sometimes you just don't realize you have a problem until some event occurs and your eye open.

I agree with you there. My dad didn't realize what his alcohol addiction was doing until he was divorced and couldn't see his kids anymore. The only difference is he had plenty of warnings to change, but didn't.

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

Later buddeh... don't do anything I wouldn't do but if you do... take pictures!

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• MunkiMunki Member CommonPosts: 2,128
    Originally posted by Robsolf

Originally posted by sadeyx

It's not a question of "knowing", though. 

Alcoholics "know" what they are doing is bad for them, and they know that NOW is the time to quit.  They just don't.  Alcoholism and gaming addiction are quite similar in this respect.

When anything starts having a negative impact on your life, it's a perfectly good idea to get rid of it, altogether.  If you feel you have become addicted to such a thing, the best way to deal with it is to nip it in the bud altogether or the negative aspects will keep coming back.

I applaud the OP for acknowledging a problem in his life.  Good luck!

Don't downplay Alcoholism by even comparing it to a joke addiction like video games.

100% of real addicts would LOVE to switch out for a "video game" addiction.

after 6 or so years, I had to change it a little...