Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best dps class?

JenkzJenkz Member UncommonPosts: 94

Im looking for a good DPS class (caster) i have done research but still confused, so i was thinking rk?

What would you guys suggest?

EDIT; just say i did go RK, which race would you suggest?

Comments

• gtnbtftegtnbtfte Member Posts: 44

At the moment Rune Keeper is indeed the highest ranged dps although hunters have caught up a bit after the latest combat changes.

As for race you can only take elf or dwarf as a RK afaik and there isn't much difference in relevant stats or racial traits. The big 1 hour cooldown racial skill is better for the dwarfs i think but that doesn't make much difference.

Bear in mind however that most groups will want your RK as a healer and not dps due to many hunters and champs running about. So don't see the RK as a straight DPS class and be prepared to heal in groups. If you only want to dps pick a hunter.

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055
    Originally posted by gtnbtfte

At the moment Rune Keeper is indeed the highest ranged dps although hunters have caught up a bit after the latest combat changes.
    As for race you can only take elf or dwarf as a RK afaik and there isn't much difference in relevant stats or racial traits. The big 1 hour cooldown racial skill is better for the dwarfs i think but that doesn't make much difference.
    Bear in mind however that most groups will want your RK as a healer and not dps due to many hunters and champs running about. So don't see the RK as a straight DPS class and be prepared to heal in groups. If you only want to dps pick a hunter.

RK is indeed the best DPS class period.  Champs are the best melee DPS.  The only way a hunter will come close to an RK is in the burst damage at the start of an encounter, but quickly falls off the pace as they are not able to sustain DPS like an RK.  A hunter also needs the best of first age weapons to get close to the RK in this capacity where as the RK can have average LI's and still dish out a lot of damage.

Most of the time you will be brought along as DPS and many times will get chosen over hunters due to your healing abilities in my experience.  As stated above, be prepared to be the main healer on occasion though.  Against a champ it is a wash as to which gets chosen over the other.  That will depend on the rest of the group make up and encounter.

As for race,  I would definitely go elf.  The sylvan shadows, and 75% avoidance elf racial skills are much more useful than the dwarf racials which I don't recall(that's how good it is).

Regardless, if you are looking for DPS, RK all the way.  I wouldn't choose hunter as they are often over looked for other classes that are better at DPS and more versitile.  Plus there are a tonne of hunters.  I say this from the perspective of a max level hunter.

For the record I have a 65 hunter, 60 Warden(Waden), 41 Minstrel, and a 30-ish RK.

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• seabass2003seabass2003 Member Posts: 4,144

The highest DPS classes are RK, Hunter, Champion.

RK = awesome DPS + ability to heal almost as good as a minstrel (Nuker w/ heals)

Hunter = pretty awesome single target DPS from a distance (Single Target Nuker)

Champion = high DPS for multiple targets but must be on top of them (AOE DPS)

Kind of a short generic summary. The RK definitely feels like a traditional caster from other MMOs.

In America I have bad teeth. If I lived in England my teeth would be perfect.

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Einherjar_LC

Originally posted by gtnbtfte

RK is indeed the best DPS class period.  Champs are the best melee DPS.  The only way a hunter will come close to an RK is in the burst damage at the start of an encounter, but quickly falls off the pace as they are not able to sustain DPS like an RK.  A hunter also needs the best of first age weapons to get close to the RK in this capacity where as the RK can have average LI's and still dish out a lot of damage.

Most of the time you will be brought along as DPS and many times will get chosen over hunters due to your healing abilities in my experience.  As stated above, be prepared to be the main healer on occasion though.  Against a champ it is a wash as to which gets chosen over the other.  That will depend on the rest of the group make up and encounter.

As for race,  I would definitely go elf.  The sylvan shadows, and 75% avoidance elf racial skills are much more useful than the dwarf racials which I don't recall(that's how good it is).

Regardless, if you are looking for DPS, RK all the way.  I wouldn't choose hunter as they are often over looked for other classes that are better at DPS and more versitile.  Plus there are a tonne of hunters.  I say this from the perspective of a max level hunter.

For the record I have a 65 hunter, 60 Warden(Waden), 41 Minstrel, and a 30-ish RK.

I agree with most of your points. Particularly since the OP asked about ranged casting DPSers.  The RK is the only real casting ranged DPS class. 

One kuibble. The elven defensive racial is a bonus to parry chance, so it only affects melee attacks in your  front arc.  The dwarf one cuts all incoming damage, both physical and magical, from any direction.  The dwarf ability is actually quite a bit better, imo.

Sylvan shadows is certainly a nice fluff ability.  And elves arguably get a better travel ability (Rivindel versus Thorin's hall).  So in the end the two options come out roughly even for a RK.  Whichever appeals to you the most is fine.

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.