Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you play a 100% PVE MMO, No PVP at all ?

Comments

• UmbroodUmbrood Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

The thing with PvP is, it gets your heart racing like nothing else, ever more so in a consistent universe as MMO's tend to be.

Allthough it is rare that PvP actually means something there are some exceptions, like EVE.

When winning or losing, living or dieing could actually mean the survival or death of your alliance, and in EVE that can be thousands of people.

That rush, or despair, is hard to find in most of the games today.

Thing with EVE is, PvP first, all other things second, PvE is mostly a money making endeavour.

And still the economic game of EVE is second to none, there is a lot of people playing it for that aspect alone, most of them very content and happy, not to mention rich.

Problems arise when you try to mingle the two aspects, balancing issues are HARD even for PvE or PvP ONLY, but when you try to satisfy both at the same time you usually end up pissing of both camps.

So yes, an "all out" PvE game would be great.

An all out PvP game would be harder, as seen in above mentioned EVE it also relies heavily on its "carebear" population.

To have ONLY PvP would mean the game is very VERY close to the FPS games we allready have.

Yes I would play an only PvE game.

I do not see how an all out PvP game would work and still be an MMORPG.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Jerek_

I wonder if you honestly even believe what you type, or if you live in a made up world of facts.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• tfbunnytfbunny Member Posts: 1

I'd like to see an MMO with the pvp system based on the monsters you fight.  If I have like 20 minutes to play its not really enough to advance my character, but I could always log in to a monster, PVP against some players with loot drops, and have some fun.  I would also make it so that you could level your monster up, but if the monster died, you'd have to start all over.  This would make it so the griefers had to weigh their options when fighting, so they could just blindly go in and try to gank everything.

• trieditalltrieditall Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Originally posted by Thedrizzle

100% PvE? it was called Horizons and it didnt last too long.(Damn thats probably a game most people didnt play)

Do your homework, Horizon's is still kicking.  It is called Istaria now and it only stumbled due to management issues, the game itself is very deep.  It has a small dev team now but they are putting out quality stuff.

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798
    Originally posted by tfbunny

I'd like to see an MMO with the pvp system based on the monsters you fight.  If I have like 20 minutes to play its not really enough to advance my character, but I could always log in to a monster, PVP against some players with loot drops, and have some fun.  I would also make it so that you could level your monster up, but if the monster died, you'd have to start all over.  This would make it so the griefers had to weigh their options when fighting, so they could just blindly go in and try to gank everything.

That sounds like the monster play idea in LOTRO. I didn't play long enough to see how that worked out, but it sounds very much the same as what you are suggesting...

I personally could not play an MMO without PvP. I would get much too bored just playing against monsters.

• FrobnerFrobner Member Posts: 649

I would love to see a PVE only game - simply because then the abilites of the chacters can be tuned in totally diffrent ways than what they are now. 

I think we will see a huge MMORPG PVE only game beeing released in the next 3-4 years.  It will be a game with a good and solid based open world activity - and WOW like dungeon system where gamers can join up from diffrent servers.  This game will be a huge hit cause 90% of the MMO gamers are looking for EXACTLY this atm.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

Yes, Inever do pvp anyway. I like healing peeps.

• VendegaarVendegaar Member Posts: 30

Not just YES - but HELL YES!

As a casual player - who has a REAL life as well as spending a lot of time in WOW - I think the whole idea of PvP in a world where the "BAD" guys are trying to exterminate BOTH opposing factions is REALLY STUPID.  They BOTH deserve to be exterminated and let the "BAD" guys take over. Horde vs Alliance when the REALLY bad ones are fighting BOTH - what a joke.  In a REAL world they would at least have a truce until the danger was over.

WoW has PvP, PvE, and RP servers.  If the douchebags that only want to grief  the low level players want PvP MAKE the asshats play on PvP servers. Eliminate Duels and PvP from PvE servers COMPLETELY.  Make it strictly consensual on RP servers.

I play on PvE servers because I DO NOT want some dipstick always wanting to duel.  There are Plenty of built-in monsters to fight without trying to prove how "Macho" you are.  It seems that the only "Macho" ones that WANT to duel are TWINKS (and we should ALL know by now what a TWINK is in the REAL world) that are so overgeared by their high-lever suppliers that no character of normal equipment for that level would have a chance no matter HOW bad the challenging character was in playing skills. I once saw a level ONE troop with a bright shiny sword (at least +3) and all kinds of buffs dueling - AND DEFEATING - level EIGHTS. And of course this HERO was challenging all the NOOBS. Must have really made him get his rocks off. Probably steals Binkies from babies too.

Originally posted by Anubisan

Originally posted by tfbunny

That sounds like the monster play idea in LOTRO. I didn't play long enough to see how that worked out, but it sounds very much the same as what you are suggesting...

I personally could not play an MMO without PvP. I would get much too bored just playing against monsters.

Its not about who you are playing against in PVE - its who you are playing with.   Antisocial MMO games (in other words Niche games) are dying all around us cause very few ppl actually like these sort of games in the long run.  Main reason is that in PVP you will always have 50% of the playerbase LOOSING.  And those 50% quit and then the next 50% loose and so on.  Thus Niche really is another word for failure of a MMORPG system.

PVE is created to make EVERYONE be a winner.  Thats why PVE oriented games are so much more populare cause they bind together the two most important aspects of what ppl are looking for.  Social activities and progressing your characters.

OFC you can claim that you can progress your character even when you loose - but thats again .... poor MMORPG system that creates even more antisocial behaviour - that even games like WOW have seen in the Battleground system where they gave away tokens for loosing.  Then ppl just entered the battleground... got a coffee or watched a movie - while leaving their toon standing still - leeching and destroying the gameplay for others at the same time. 

• ZholzZholz Member Posts: 29

I personally would not play a 100% PvE game, I do however know lots of people who would. I find PvP to be like a sports game. although they are the same game, with the same rules and possibly the same players, the results are never exactly the same. Strategies can be adjusted on the fly and mistakes can be made, rarely is it predictable.

I will take part in a fair share of PvE and it can feel rewarding but nothing is more exciting for me then PvP. I can't say that I have ever had my heart rate increase to the point of an adrenaline rush from doing a dungeon.

Originally posted by Zholz

I personally would not play a 100% PvE game, I do however know lots of people who would. I find PvP to be like a sports game. although they are the same game, with the same rules and possibly the same players, the results are never exactly the same. Strategies can be adjusted on the fly and mistakes can be made, rarely is it predictable.
    I will take part in a fair share of PvE and it can feel rewarding but nothing is more exciting for me then PvP. I can't say that I have ever had my heart rate increase to the point of an adrenaline rush from doing a dungeon.

Have you been in a 40 man group that has been working on a boss for a month before taking him down as server first ? 

Thats no normal dungeon run m8.  It requers alot of things to come together.   Thats what MMOs are about.  Co-op at the highest lvl over long time to beat "the game".  Hours after hours of work - both getting materials for potions, flasks and armors.  And then the hours working with an entire guild to a common goal of not only improving YOUR character - but the entire guild.

Did you take part in uniqe guild questlines like opening of AQ gates in WOW.  Did you do BWL under 2 hours for instance as part of that questline (not as part of some childish achiement) ? 

Somehow I dont think you have done any of this.  Cause if the moment of a first kill of endboss after weeks of work is not bringing you an adrenaline rush and pure feeling of VICOTRY - then nothing will.

PVP is

70% about gear - 20% about ping and 10% about skills.   FPS on the other hand are 50% about ping and 50% about skills.  In fact - most MMOs are full of PVPers that really dont have the skills to do some proper pvp on a more equal basis.  They gain their "skills" though other advantages.

• VaedurVaedur Member Posts: 430
    Originally posted by Frobner

Have you been in a 40 man group that has been working on a boss for a month before taking him down as server first ? 

Thats no normal dungeon run m8.  It requers alot of things to come together.   Thats what MMOs are about.  Co-op at the highest lvl over long time to beat "the game".  Hours after hours of work - both getting materials for potions, flasks and armors.  And then the hours working with an entire guild to a common goal of not only improving YOUR character - but the entire guild.

Did you take part in uniqe guild questlines like opening of AQ gates in WOW.  Did you do BWL under 2 hours for instance as part of that questline (not as part of some childish achiement) ? 

Somehow I dont think you have done any of this.  Cause if the moment of a first kill of endboss after weeks of work is not bringing you an adrenaline rush and pure feeling of VICOTRY - then nothing will.

PVP is

70% about gear - 20% about ping and 10% about skills.   FPS on the other hand are 50% about ping and 50% about skills.  In fact - most MMOs are full of PVPers that really dont have the skills to do some proper pvp on a more equal basis.  They gain their "skills" though other advantages.

You need to see some sunshine a little bit more and get out.

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Somehow I dont think you have done any of this.

Sounds like a lot of "work"..

I can't say i have done any of those things, nor would I, but i have defended a player run town from the onslaught of a PK guild, with my guild.. I've also helped defend my realm from the nasty albs trying to take our relics!

Not only did it benefit my character, and my guild, but the entire realm...

I'm not the one you quoted, but before you look down your nose at someone, realise, different strokes, and all that....

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

I like PvP. That said, if a more sim-world like gamewhere you had to rebuild settlements like in Horizons, had crafting as detailed as a SWG(Pre NGE)/UO mashup, had multiple continents or planets with Sea or space travel in vehicles the players had to manufacture. If it hade the players manufacturing 99% of items, really, and gave more emphasis to other areas than combat (I'm not saying to not have combat, but 99.999% of MMOs made now are combat focused; whether it's due to a lack of creativity or because it's the easiest way to make MMOs is another thread). If they carried out monthly content updates like the Live team from Turbine did with Asheron's Call.

Absolutely I'd play it.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by rebelhero1

Well, almost 80% say yes.

I guess I know to avoid and pure PvE mmo, seeing as how you all will be there.

What's ironic...is that 80 percent of the people on these forums, apparently....would feel the same way about avoiding YOU. Funny "ain't it?" lol ;)

And yet here we all come together to play our forum PvP game!

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• thormachthormach Member Posts: 14

I payed for and played EQ and never PVP'd. I pay for WOW and rarely PVP. I am currently playing Istaria and its not for the PVP. So yes I would deffinitely play a MMO without PVP again.

• LanthirLanthir Member UncommonPosts: 222

Although i love pvp i fondly remember the fun i had in EQ when it started and I had no idea what pvp even was.  So I woudl gladly play a pve only game if it was as well done as EQ was to keep my interest.

Magic is impressive, but now Minsc leads! Swords for everyone!

• Harpy_LadyHarpy_Lady Member Posts: 137

Yes, I would. I actually consider having PVP in a particular game as a con, rather than a pro. Win or lose, I have no interest in PVP. Give me a group centric game any day.

• ozerinxozerinx Member UncommonPosts: 200

I personally enjoy PvE games because if I wanted to PvP there are games like CoD that meets those needs. PvE provides a environment that is not as hostile especially when everything is instanced now. In EQ1 there were still some hostility towards each other for stealing camp bosses etc. But, with PvP it takes it to another level, corpse camping 10vs1 no honor code or anything. I personally love it when 2vs10 and the 10 gets whupped but a lot of people hate it when that kind of stuff happens.

• WisebutCruelWisebutCruel Member Posts: 1,089

Would I enjoy a PvE only mmo? Let's see.

No whiny little pricks who call themselves "hardcore" constantly complaining about "balance".

No constant nerfs to my PvE play because of said whiny little pricks complaining about the said "balance".

Not watching PvE content get easier to the point of ridiculousness due to the said whiny little pricks and their said complaints about "balance" causing  buffs to continually escalate beyond that needed for PvE.

No whiny little pricks crying because "ganking is hard" or "there are guards here".

No Darkfall pricks.

So, yes. I would definitely play a PvE only mmo. In a frigging heartbeat.

Originally posted by Marcus-

Somehow I dont think you have done any of this.

Sounds like a lot of "work"..

I can't say i have done any of those things, nor would I, but i have defended a player run town from the onslaught of a PK guild, with my guild.. I've also helped defend my realm from the nasty albs trying to take our relics!

Not only did it benefit my character, and my guild, but the entire realm...

I'm not the one you quoted, but before you look down your nose at someone, realise, different strokes, and all that....

I have played both PVP and PVE... And some PVE in PVP games - and PVP in PVE games.  My point is that I wanted the guy above to realise that "killing" someone is not the only way to get adrenalin rush in MMO games... 

TBH I would love to play a PVP I win every time MMO game.  The thing is ... I live in Iceland and my ping is not good enogh to stand a chance in hell to beat a player of same gear and skill lvl.    I am still able to enjoy good and solid PVE content with abit of high ping tho.  Not to mention that PVE games are actually thought out to ALLOW gamers with diffrent ping to play TOGETHER.

Look down your nose and realise there is alot more to think about than just liking PVP and PVE as a content. Its also question of the actual chance to be ABLE to take part on equal grounds.   Alot of the PVP oriented games do not support that. 

• NanulakNanulak Member UncommonPosts: 372

Dark Age of Camelot had the perfect balance of PvP / PvE .  And most importantly, the PvP had a reason.  If all of us in a realm did not defend our own lands from the invaders then we lost something.   Therefor, we had a reason to PvP besides comparing our epeens.  But an MMO without any PvP tends to get boreing as there is a lack of excitement / reason to play.  So I voted No, we need some limited PvP for a complete MMO.

Nanulak

• DosskaDosska Member Posts: 53

I've been playing MMO's for quite awhile and only recently started getting into pvp, so for me it's basically been the same as playing a pve only MMO. I'm not that great at pvp but lately I've been enjoying it quite  a bit. However I would definitely play a pve only if it was implemented well. I'd like to see more scenarios or situations that require cooperation between different players. I think something like that might make a pve only MMO more interesting.

• nennafirnennafir Member UncommonPosts: 313

Yes, I would.  I think MMOs actually do PVP rather poorly and that PVP negatively impacts the PVE game in many ways: destroys community, leads to endless balancing, etc.

I actually really do love PVP games by the way, and my main gaming love for years has been fighting games.  I just think that MMO PVP is rather sucky as: (1) It tends to be item based rather than skill based; and (2) MMO mechanics aren't really up to measuring skill in any case.

A big budget purely PVE MMO would be very nice.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

I don't play MMOs that don't have some form of PvP. That PvP can be open PvP, region PvP, Faction PvP, Battleground PvP.

But with zero form of PvP the game loses it's challenge. The AI in PvE is weak and easy to figure out how to win everytime. The quests get old once you've done them all a couple times. The only real challenge comes from other players, human beings who can think and adapt.

That's why I am currently looking for a new MMO with battleground PvP, it's what I'm in the mood for but there seem to few choices.

• delateurdelateur Member Posts: 156

I don't feel that a game works as well when it incorporates both. One aspect always seems to suffer for the good of the other. Thus, I would certainly play an all PvE (as I'm not that competitive and don't really have the desire to destroy other people's toons), and MAYBE an all PvP, if it was done in an incredible way. I think amazing things could be done with pure forms of either genre.