Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Blizzard Donates $1.1mln to Make-A-Wish

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Blizzard announced the sale of two new in-game pets through the Blizzard store back in November of last year, with one pet, the Pandaren Monk, to have 50% of its proceeds (from sales up until the end of 2009) donated to the Make-A-Wish foundation.

Today, Blizzard announced via twitter that Pandaren Monk sales have amounted to a $1.1 million donation to the Make-A-Wish foundation!

[Thanks Christopher8 for the tip!]

Comments

• GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395

I liked the pets, though I know some  people where upset with the rmt thing though. Even though some of the money was being donated.

• kingtommyboykingtommyboy Member Posts: 543

That's a nice thing from blizz. And I have no problem with those extern pet sells if they use a part of the money for donations

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    waiting for ... nothing..

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370

It was obviously a maneuver to generate more income, or else 100% of both pets were to be donated, not 50% of one of the pets.

Nonetheless is commendable and surelly a great help to the foundation. They didnt have to donate any money and the pets would sell like hot cakes either way, so, kudos to Blizzard, I wish more companies would also help this kind of causes

• battleaxebattleaxe Member UncommonPosts: 158

100% of both pets might have been $4.4 million...just sayin.

• DargokDargok Member Posts: 14

They're just trying to recover from the war of attrition that they are losing as they slowly bleed out subscribers. This game has long since lost its way from the land of great games so people are leaving.

All your MMOs are belong to me.

• selobthegodselobthegod Member Posts: 155

Pretty nice move from Blizzard , i don't think u ppl should rage against them cause they didn't donate $2.2mln instead of $1.1mln.. it's still a huge amount of money and will help a lot of children around the world .

• ReccooReccoo Member Posts: 197
    Originally posted by Dargok

They're just trying to recover from the war of attrition that they are losing as they slowly bleed out subscribers. This game has long since lost its way from the land of great games so people are leaving.

WTF are u waffling on about?  What does this have to do with the story.

Originally posted by battleaxe

Last time I checked Blizzard were not a charity that gave money out, they are a bloody business, if they wanted they could have given fuck all, and kept everything ebcause they are a fuuckign business.

Maybe u are mistaking charities that give money out for free and businesses that are meant to generate money.

• TuxedoSLYTuxedoSLY Ultima Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 93

Agreed, anyone taking a shot at Blizzard over this needs to remember that they didn't have to do anything. They were making millions before, and they will continue to do so. This was a great gesture and people looking to condemn them over it are just petty.

• AstralglideAstralglide Member UncommonPosts: 686
    Originally posted by Reccoo

Originally posted by battleaxe

Last time I checked Blizzard were not a charity that gave money out, they are a bloody business, if they wanted they could have given fuck all, and kept everything ebcause they are a fuuckign business.

Maybe u are mistaking charities that give money out for free and businesses that are meant to generate money.

Exactly. People can bitch and moan as much as they like, but if you want to complain abut the charitable actions of others, even if it is a marketing gimmick, how much of your time or money have YOU given?  If all the users of these forums gave half of the money they spent on their MMO subscriptions, how much would that be? I'm not saying that I do this, I haven't given to a charity in quite some time, but, before you call out Blizzard for doing something charitable, they didn't have to give money from the vanity pets to anybody else, they still would have sold just as many of them.

A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Originally posted by Dargok

WTF are u waffling on about?  What does this have to do with the story.

Lol, very well put as well Reccoo:)

Nice work Blizz. That is a shed load of money and hopefully it will do some good.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Well blizzard didn't donate anything the customers that bought the pets did.

• Slashed316Slashed316 Member UncommonPosts: 151

Blizzard needs to make money so they release pets that have nothing to do with the game play, im fine with that. They decide to give half of the money they make to charity now thats just awesome. Thanks Blizzard for helping make the world a better place for some dying kids. I hope some other companies do the same thing.

Originally posted by bloodaxes

Once again.  Blizzard are not a charity, they donated half the proceeds to the bloody charity.  Do u understand or is it to hard for you?.  Id love to see the same peopel in the other thread with the Eve $40k donation say shit about CCP. Come on please start saying stuff about CCP.

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

Once again.  Blizzard are not a charity, they donated half the proceeds to the bloody charity.  Do u understand or is it to hard for you?.  Id love to see the same peopel in the other thread with the Eve $40k donation say shit about CCP. Come on please start saying stuff about CCP.

My my I smell a fanboy 

I just pointed out that the customers donated not blizzard no need to get so defensive to them geez....

Technically blizzard did as well. They didn't have to give anything. They could have just introduced the pets and people would have bot them regardless. Its horrible how people still bash blizzard even when they actually do something nice for a change.

My my I smell a fanboy 

I just pointed out that the customers donated not blizzard no need to get so defensive to them geez....

I gotta stand up for Recco, here. The people who bought the pets DID NOT donate the money. Blizzard did. Blizzard is under no obligation to give any proceeds from any sale to any charity, even if it says it will. Those people bought pets. If they had given enough of a fuck about the "Make a Wish Foundation", then they would have skipped the pet and given the $10-$15 directly do that foundation. They bought a service, period.

-Voltaire

• KeoghKeogh Member Posts: 1,099

Have any of you actually ever seen, met or spoken with a child that was a Make A Wish recipient?

I have.

What Blizzard did was good.

Stop thinking that the world revolves around you and your petty opinions.

Show some compassion and act like human beings.

"Don't corpse-camp that idea. Its never gonna rez"
    Bladezz (The Guild)

Originally posted by Keogh

Have any of you actually ever seen, met or spoken with a child that was a Make A Wish recipient?
    I have.

Amen. Keogh is correct. We should all take a look at what this organization does regardless of WHO gives them money.

-Voltaire

Originally posted by Ciccero

Oh yes they did.

How do you offset sinking quarterly reports ?

Contributions.

If you do not understand the actions behind the simplest business model,then commenting from ignorance is just,well,ignorant :)
    To do nothing would not allow those much needed write-offs.
    Ever question why there are 1-2 GMs per 4-5 servers now instead of 3-4 per server ?
    Quarterly reports my friend. They may have 6 million Asian subs or Asian/Euro combined, but it is not the same money they would get in the US. There,laws,etc,they have to,for lack of a better term and to not go into dull detail,"Sublet" the game to publishers in those other countries.

So,instead of WOW reaping the maximum level of profit, the reap 1/8 or less. WoW will never die due to contractual obligations in those other countries, but it's bread and butter resides within the contiguous United States, and we are all just about done with this Bar-B-que. So,how do you creep closer to the red without actually hitting the red ? Contributions,layoffs,etc,etc.
    So yah,I reiterate,they did have to do this

How does donating money offset losses on a quarterly report? From my understanding, contributions are most effective at tax time, but not for investor purposes. If their only goal was to pad their bottom line, then they wouldn't be giving any money to charity and there would be more pets. I'm not saying that they are being altruistic, but that your argument of offsetting losses by giving money away is well, ignorant.

-Voltaire

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902
    Originally posted by Ciccero

Oh yes they did.

How do you offset sinking quarterly reports ?

Contributions.

If you do not understand the actions behind the simplest business model,then commenting from ignorance is just,well,ignorant :)
    To do nothing would not allow those much needed write-offs.
    Ever question why there are 1-2 GMs per 4-5 servers now instead of 3-4 per server ?
    Quarterly reports my friend. They may have 6 million Asian subs or Asian/Euro combined, but it is not the same money they would get in the US. There,laws,etc,they have to,for lack of a better term and to not go into dull detail,"Sublet" the game to publishers in those other countries.

So,instead of WOW reaping the maximum level of profit, the reap 1/8 or less. WoW will never die due to contractual obligations in those other countries, but it's bread and butter resides within the contiguous United States, and we are all just about done with this Bar-B-que. So,how do you creep closer to the red without actually hitting the red ? Contributions,layoffs,etc,etc.
    So yah,I reiterate,they did have to do this

lol..  I feel like someone just put me in an office chair and spun me around at 3000 rpms

you think Blizzard is projecting loss profits for the upcoming quarter?    what you're saying is nuts, and even if they did project a loss their assets couldnt possibly be offset by a measely 1.1mil dollar donation to a contribution.

nice try.

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • MorningStarGGMorningStarGG Member UncommonPosts: 394
    Originally posted by TuxedoSLY

Agreed, anyone taking a shot at Blizzard over this needs to remember that they didn't have to do anything. They were making millions before, and they will continue to do so. This was a great gesture and people looking to condemn them over it are just petty.

What the article leaves out is the profit of 1.1 Mil, the other 50% for a CASH SHOP ITEM! Blizzard deserves hell for selling a virtual item for money, and then only giving 1.1 Mil away, for a tax right off no less. Think smart.

Owner/Admin of GodlessGamer.com - Gaming news and reviews for the godless.

Originally posted by spyder2k5

What the article leaves out is the profit of 1.1 Mil, the other 50% for a CASH SHOP ITEM! Blizzard deserves hell for selling a virtual item for money, and then only giving 1.1 Mil away, for a tax right off no less. Think smart.

I'm sorry, I thought this was MMORPG.COM which is a forum for people who like to pay money to companies who supply them with virtual worlds and the means to interact with those worlds by using avatars and virtual items. You must have been looking for this forum.

-Voltaire

• MorningStarGGMorningStarGG Member UncommonPosts: 394
    Originally posted by Astralglide

Originally posted by spyder2k5

I'm sorry, I thought this was MMORPG.COM which is a forum for people who like to pay money to companies who supply them with virtual worlds and the means to interact with those worlds by using avatars and virtual items. You must have been looking for this forum.

Access to a game, on a basis of a subscription is not a virtual item, just like renting from netflix is not a virtual item, it is access toa  product for the duration of a subscription. Now pack your bags and troll elsewhere.

Owner/Admin of GodlessGamer.com - Gaming news and reviews for the godless.

• RavenmaneRavenmane Member Posts: 246

In all reality the 1.1 million was what they found after they moved the couch in their hot tub and hooker room and they figured they'd be nice :D

"If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is probably the answer."
  • MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by Keogh

I have.

I have as well, and I talk to him on a daily basis.

I want to thank you for your post.