Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is this game's selling point?

I'm getting a pretty nice new computer, so i figured I would pick up a new mmo at the same time. I narrowed it down to darkfall and AOC, but im still kind of unsure what this game is like. The combat looks pretty interesting, and the videos of pve raids( if thats what they were) looked kinda of lacking and un-exciting.  So it leaves me wondering what the selling point of this game is, or more specifically, how shallow is it? I hear leveling is pretty fun, but what do you do at the cap?

Is pvp instanced, how is class balance, and overall...what options (for activities) would your average player have as they logged on to their endgame character?

Comments

• Praxus1874Praxus1874 Member Posts: 152

The PvP is largely instanced, levelling is primarily done through questing, and there are raids to do at endgame.  Basically, those aspects are not the selling point of the game in my opinion.

The selling point of the game for me is being able to explore a (fairly) accurate portrayal of Hyboria.  The combat is unique and interactive (no auto-attack), the graphics and sound are amazing, and the classes are completely unique in most aspects.

That's what appeals to me, at least.  

Oh, and it's rated M, so blood and bewbs galore!  Weeeeee!

Prax

• JpizzleJpizzle Member Posts: 371

unique combat system, hands-down the best looking MMO on the market, and finally in a position to really add things, instead of playing catch-up.

also, the raids on youtube and the like don't do it justice. They're some of the most intense and strategic raiding I've done. The end game raiding has almost no "tank & spank"

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849

It's a pretty MMO with pretty generic features.  I quit it because I have not found the world to be believable and the immersion was crap. If you are not into Role-Playing though it's  a game for anyone.

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• hybridfuryhybridfury Member Posts: 138

That's a really great question.  I have played maybe 2 months since it's release and I just re-subbed a few days ago to check it out again and I ask myself in game, "what is the point?"  I mean I'm on a pvp server and it's decently populated around the 1 starting zone, but I mean really what is the point of pvp?  Around Tortage, the starting zone, there are 2 places to pvp, white sands and the under halls.  Most of the pvp in these areas is right at the start of the zone where you zone in, probably so people can run away like little babies when they start to get beat.  Anyways, so you kill someone and they don't drop any loot and they spawn less than 5 seconds away from you and this just continues over and over.  Again, what is the point?  Also, every class in the game gets the ability to hide/stealth which I really don't understand as this is usually reserved for rogue type classes.

As for Darkfall, bleh.  Probably the biggest grind in any MMO since EQ1 and hell levels.  Yah sure you can pvp on day one, but honestly your just gonna get owned the first couple months you play as the majority of the population are vets and you stand no chance of ever catching up.  My opinion is if your gonna make a game thats primarily designed around pvp then I don't see why the grind has to be so long to be a substantial part of it.

The MMO market really just sucks right now to be honest.  I have a brand new beast of a computer I just built that is just sitting there waiting for something decent to come along.  Thankfully I got a PS3 to keep me occupied for the time being :)

Currently Playing: Toying around with AoC and bored with Darkfall

Thinking of Playing: Fallen Earth or Darkfall after this months update.

Have Played: EQ1, EQ2, WoW, WAR, Vanguard, EvE, Requiem, PW, Lotro, Lineage2, AoC, SWG...

• FC-FamineFC-Famine Funcom Community ManagerMember UncommonPosts: 278

I normally just say that Age of Conan is a game where you can rip peoples heads off and throw it down a hill. That's a good selling point for me.

Glen ''Famine'' Swan
    Senior Assistant Community Manager - Funcom

Originally posted by FC-Famine

I normally just say that Age of Conan is a game where you can rip peoples heads off and throw it down a hill. That's a good selling point for me.

Word.

• jadedlevirjadedlevir Member Posts: 628

Wait, you can actually do that? Sign me up

But ya thanks for the replies. A couple follow up questions. What is the pvp system,just enter an instance and kill with no progression? Having fun is a good enough reward, but if it's like a certain other game, i don't want to enter pvp just to be stomped by gear dependence...in other words, will i have to pve in order to be competitive in pvp?

• pmaurapmaura Member UncommonPosts: 530

well one of the fatalities for my sword is pushing it through the throat and then the top of the head and then you put your boot on his head kick the head off.

Originally posted by jadedlevir

But ya thanks for the replies. A couple follow up questions. What is the pvp system,just enter an instance and kill with no progression? Having fun is a good enough reward, but if it's like a certain other game, i don't want to enter pvp just to be stomped by gear dependence

The progression comes in the form of pvp levels, I believe there are 5 of them, along side your regular level.  Gear is going to be a factor in most pvp based games you play, there is no escaping that.  The higher the pvp level you are the stronger you are in pvp combat I guess.  Honestly while I'm pvping I don't really feel I'm accomplishing anything other than the percentage of my pvp level going up.

Have Played: EQ1, EQ2, WoW, WAR, Vanguard, EvE, Requiem, PW, Lotro, Lineage2, AoC, SWG...

Originally posted by hybridfury

But ya thanks for the replies. A couple follow up questions. What is the pvp system,just enter an instance and kill with no progression? Having fun is a good enough reward, but if it's like a certain other game, i don't want to enter pvp just to be stomped by gear dependence

The progression comes in the form of pvp levels, I believe there are 5 of them, along side your regular level.  Gear is going to be a factor in most pvp based games you play, there is no escaping that.  The higher the pvp level you are the stronger you are in pvp combat I guess.  Honestly while I'm pvping I don't really feel I'm accomplishing anything other than the percentage of my pvp level going up.

Ya you can't escape the gear, but i was referring more towards pve gear. Like, will i have to raid for a month to get good enough gear to pvp. Or is their some sort of reward/renoun system.

Originally posted by hybridfury

Ya you can't escape the gear, but i was referring more towards pve gear. Like, will i have to raid for a month to get good enough gear to pvp. Or is their some sort of reward/renoun system.

I think you get gear based off your pvp level from what I was told and there is a renown system that was just introduced for guilds, but I don't know much about it.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079

My opinion is that Age of Conan is probably the most immersive MMORPG that's out there. It has a very good story line, quests are even entertaining. It's a gorgeous game with longevity written all over it, if people would actually give it a chance.

Like I said I haven't really played AoC very much, I have a lvl 52 and probably 3 or 4 lvl 25's.  I just always got bored with it and ended up quitting.  I also play on a pvp server instead of a pve server so depending on what server type you wanna play on it may contradict alot of what I'm telling you.

• inBOILinBOIL Member Posts: 669

aoc = lots of invisible walls,low character customization,nice graphics/decent graphics for RP gaming,you havent done that quest yet so you cant go further,sing star like fighting,cheap price 15€ /2 months i saw somewhere,far from Conan books/comics.

Generation P

Originally posted by Valentina

My opinion is that Age of Conan is probably the most immersive MMORPG that's out there. It has a very good story line, quests are even entertaining. It's a gorgeous game with longevity written all over it, if people would actually give it a chance.

Ya, thanks for all the replies, I'm gona give it a shot for sure. Not much else out their anyway. I'm hoping your right, because immersion and longevity are the two things that i've been looking for. That one of the reasons why im probably gona try a sandbox or two as well. I just wish a company would develop a game that was more inbetween a sandpark and themepark and not to the extremes because they both have obvious flaws imo.

Originally posted by Valentina

Ya, thanks for all the replies, I'm gona give it a shot for sure. Not much else out their anyway. I'm hoping your right, because immersion and longevity are the two things that i've been looking for. That one of the reasons why im probably gona try a sandbox or two as well. I just wish a company would develop a game that was more inbetween a sandpark and themepark and not to the extremes because they both have obvious flaws imo.

Well, honestly, what do you got to lose?  I mean you can buy the game at gamestop for $10 and that includes 30 days of game time.  Give it a go!

Originally posted by inBOIL

far from Conan books/comics.

Not to derail the thread here, I'm just curious as to why you think the game is far from the books?  Imo, this is one thing the game does quite well.

Prax

• inBOILinBOIL Member Posts: 669
    Originally posted by Praxus1874

Originally posted by inBOIL

far from Conan books/comics.

Not to derail the thread here, I'm just curious as to why you think the game is far from the books?  Imo, this is one thing the game does quite well.

Prax

it does it pretty well visually ,yes,but imnot playing games because how they look like and i dont read books for the same reason either.

what comes to gameplay and rules ,just meh.

Generation P

• FC-FamineFC-Famine Funcom Community ManagerMember UncommonPosts: 278

But ya thanks for the replies. A couple follow up questions. What is the pvp system,just enter an instance and kill with no progression? Having fun is a good enough reward, but if it's like a certain other game, i don't want to enter pvp just to be stomped by gear dependence...in other words, will i have to pve in order to be competitive in pvp?

Pretty much.

Glen ''Famine'' Swan
    Senior Assistant Community Manager - Funcom

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

DO NOT PAY EVEN $10.00 FOR A BOX AT GAMESTOP ...... :-) Now that I have your attention.  I found one for my son and I on Amazon for $1.49 and the other for $1.50.  With shipping the total order came to $10.97.  While I do like the game, I'm a bigger fan of not spending anymore than I need to.

OR

There is a 'lvl 1 - 20 Tortage Only forever free' trial over on the Offical Site so you could download it and give it a spin at no cost.

Then if you like the game you can change the trial to a paid account and keep your toons.

Selling points:

-  It does look good - especially if your rig can handle it.  While mine can run DDO or LotRO on Max Settings, it'll only give me a playable game in AoC on low.

- The quests storylines are good and this comes from a storyline junkie.  Both the random one's and even more so the Destiny quest line which is a RPG-you thing.  I especially liked (now that I'm trying a different class) how the quests weave together: 'I'll have (a different profession) handle that' and the mission for the other profession will include that mission.  Nice touch.

- While I'm sure all the professions have their alt's in the archtypical scheme, they do seem unique.  Plus not all races can be all the professions.

- Combat is different than the norm - you end up pretty much loveing it or hating it.  Combat move animations are a nice touch.

- Just released new PvE play area.

- And yes with the Mature Content in the on position you can lop off body parts depending on the combat move you picked.  Doesn't always happen but when it does it's an amazing sight.

- With the recent server mergers pop is good.

And to be fair the game does have it's downsides or unfinished parts:

- Blood, blood and more blood.  Spraying all over, even onto the 'camera lense'.

- Pvp (on the Pvp server) is everywhere / anyone / anytime so ganking or cheap shots pop up alot, although my son who's on CIM (RP-Pvp) server said most of the higher levels ignore the lowbies as targets which shows a certain level of maturity.

- Pvp (IMHO) doesn't seem as fleshed out as it could be.  With 3 races, RvR Pvp might have been a nice touch.  They do have seige fights now with patches going in left and right to fix problems with them.

- Lot's of stuff doesn't seem to be written down in the manual etc.... so ASK QUESTIONS, first would be what's the difference is between a PvE and PvP server and just where can you Pvp since Tortage (the starter zone) has special rules.

And to the poster that said not enough customization: With the advanced character creation setting there does seem to be alot there.  Body style, height, ear size, chest / bottom size, scars / tatoo's, eye shape etc.... etc..... more than I saw in DDO, SWG or LotRO.

Conan Lore - I'm reading the first 13 books now and the game does seem to keep pretty close to the original lore.  Of course some give and take is normal since we're talking a game here vice another book.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

Nice write up, thanks for that!

Originally posted by Nebless

DO NOT PAY EVEN $10.00 FOR A BOX AT GAMESTOP ...... :-) Now that I have your attention.  I found one for my son and I on Amazon for $1.49 and the other for $1.50.  With shipping the total order came to $10.97.  While I do like the game, I'm a bigger fan of not spending anymore than I need to.

Uhm, gamestop copy...$10 + tax of lets say 7% = $10.70 and you don't have to wait 2-3 days for shipping.....am I missing something?

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

I got 2 boxes for the $10.97.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

What is this game's selling point?

The good

1. The boobs, I mean oversized DDD implants. Don't look for smaller ones there aren't any
    2. Gore: beading, bloody fatalities
    3. Nice graphics: if you have a decent rig 
    4. PvP: free for all
    5. Nice character customization
    6. Voiced over quest up to level 20, very few after that

The bad

Not so much mature content than advertised, for example succubus wearing g strings and medusa spell missing nipples (looks weird) 

No consistent palette color choices, really nice environment textures, some really poor clothes ones, physics moving trees and grass strangely, distant rendering showing or hiding mountains while you turn (kills immersion), bloom making your eyes bleed.

Weapons hooks such as your shield is laying one feet behind your back, same for all weapons and rangers are running while holding an arrow at the end, looks... meh? Poor clothing/gear customization choices and the usual issue with tiered equipment: all characters look like the same at certain levels.

Be ready to be ganked by group of players lower than you, not being able to fight back unless you want to be tagged as a murderer. PvP sieges not bad but still bugged (fix in process)

Feel like playing another game after level 20. Who stole the voice over?

And finally worst of it the lame UI: from selling, chatting, lack of rescaling and not the least inability to rebind too many key or buttons.

Overall try it and if you like it... have Fun, but don't expect a polished game, it isn't.

• svarteryttarsvarteryttar Member Posts: 36

If you have a new top of the line computor and dont care about interresting, accessible* and balanced PvP but all about PvE raiding then Age of Conan is the best MMO out there. I think  that is the best selling point.

It could also be a "no-seller line"  ofc.

There is no other MMO that even comes close in "looks" and combat style.

* with accessible I mean that the seiges is not for all players but for some in larger guild and only at some times and can hardly be considered the be the core PvP, the minigames and world zerge is the core of the accesible PvP and that is not interresting at the same times as being balanced atm. 

Played WoW for 3 years on Runetotem (chars: Ariman and Redsonja)
    Played AoC for 2 years on Crom (char: Kallisto) and Fury (char: Siratsia)
    Playing SWTOR on Tomb of Freedon Nadd