Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is fun...but why am i doing it?

AdvancedTechAdvancedTech Member UncommonPosts: 165

I've been playing the Trial recently and I've found myself not being able to stop playing, It's a real fun game. I just dont get what the point of the game is?

Comments

• DaggerjaydoDaggerjaydo Member UncommonPosts: 121

Try joining a non-starter corp and get yourself into lowsec pvp or some other form of group activities, it really makes the game more fun and objective.

I can admit, when you're playing this game alone, there's really very little fun in it, just a lot of eye candy and mental stimulation.

Once you actually add other people in the mix, however, the game becomes much more dynamic.

• ndodgendodge Member UncommonPosts: 55

correct me if i'm wrong, but shouldn't one play a game mainly because they find it fun?

I play in a sandbox.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

See the colored areas on this map?

dl1.eve-files.com/media/corp/Verite/influence.png

Your mission is to train your skills and eventually lead an alliance that can take control of one or more of them from the people that currently own them.

You have your work cut out for you.  Better get busy.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• JowenJowen Member Posts: 326

I think you are on the right track.

You see, EVE is open ended (also known as "sandbox") so there is not really one single "point" to the game. Whatever you might find fun, another will find dreadfully boring.

In EVE you you are not the hero. You are a guy making a living by maximizing profit while trying to reduce costs and at the same time, shoot those guys in the face that annoys you.

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444
    Originally posted by ndodge

correct me if i'm wrong, but shouldn't one play a game mainly because they find it fun?

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

end game war vs war  on te 1700 lvl

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    Originally posted by mrcalhou

You missed the point i think. Fun is a reason to play a game yes, but hes asking what the goals are. Most gamers are used to the aims being owning a castle, being the largest guild, being the most dominant at PvP etc with limited more that they can achieve. So its understandable that when they come to a game like this that they dont realize that the goals are whatever they decide to set themselves.

• ndodgendodge Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Originally posted by Kabaal

You missed the point i think. Fun is a reason to play a game yes, but hes asking what the goals are. Most gamers are used to the aims being owning a castle, being the largest guild, being the most dominant at PvP etc with limited more that they can achieve. So its understandable that when they come to a game like this that they dont realize that the goals are whatever they decide to set themselves.

completely true on that point. My response though was the the question in the topic and not so much about the game content

I play in a sandbox.

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

To be perfectly honest, I didn't bother to read the post because I was going to say what I quoted in some fashion or another anyhow. I can understand wanting to know what some goals are, but the way the title was phrased seemed to me that he the OP was missing the point of gaming in general. At least the point I always assumed. Once a game becomes job-like is it still entertainment?

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

To build and provide for your own little empire in the EVE universe, and it's not easy. Most people settle for less or being apart of someone else's. One of the great things about the game early on though, is you can just get an Idea and go off on a tangent. Rarely does it work out like you think, but it's allot of fun. Still, it's all part of the main goal of being a successful contributing part of the EVE universe. You really can do just about anything you can get your mind around.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by Kabaal

completely true on that point. My response though was the the question in the topic and not so much about the game content

That's the question i interpreted him as asking in the topic but just didn't word it well. It's hard to tell with some people.

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515
    Originally posted by AdvancedTech

I've been playing the Trial recently and I've found myself not being able to stop playing, It's a real fun game. I just dont get what the point of the game is?

Ok when you ave finished the Tutorial find yourself a player made corperation because this game is not designed for the solo player its all about working with a tight knit groupe of friends to a common goal.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

That's quite simple. The game objective is: To get players blown up.

It is up to you to chose how you will contribute, the result will be the same - something somewhere explodes.

EDIT: Clarified.

• CodenakCodenak Member UncommonPosts: 418

Whatever you want it to be.

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

Op the real question you should be asking yourself is what do you want to do? Lead an alliance? Pirate? Mine? Mission? Lead a corps? PVP? the are many things to do!. If you want to learn combat join EVE university you'll learn alot!

(BBBBBBBBWWAAAAAAHHHHHH raises plunger in salute to Eve University!)

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• x_rast_xx_rast_x Member Posts: 745

EvE is the most open-ended MMO I've played or even heard of.  One of the key things every player does (or needs to do) is pick a goal and work toward it.  The 'end game' is whatever you want it to be and you can change your goals whenever you want to.

For some people it's about becoming fabulously wealthy.  For others they want to build their own little nullsec empire.  Other people are happy being industry moguls.  Some people just like to grief.  Others get big into Factional Warfare and try to advance their chosen empire's interests.

My goal right now is pretty simple - I'm trying to get into the top 100 rated pilots on Battleclinic.  Like all good goals, it's much easier said than done but it gives me direction and a purpose in my gameplay.

• PreponerancePreponerance Member Posts: 295

I have been playin for bout a month now, and last night I decided to join the eve-radio channel just to watch chat other than rookie.  I ended up listening to the show also which they broadcast live and the DJ is in game.  Last night they had a laser light show and I think the payout for 1st place was like 130 Million ISK.  They had a few people joining in on the fun and had some great times and played some great music, I think there is more than one station so if you don't like the music on one just change it to the other.  I think the DJ's change ever 2 hours or so.  Their DJ's are pretty cool and make the game interesting.

• lttexxanlttexxan Member UncommonPosts: 429

Pavalove's dog.....you can't help yourself.....now Sit!

It's better to lurk in forums and be thought a fool...than to endlessly "Quote" and remove all doubts.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by lttexxan

You mean Pavlov?

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• PreponerancePreponerance Member Posts: 295
    Originally posted by lttexxan

Pavlov's dog, not sure what classical conditioning has to do with it.

• vazzarothvazzaroth Member Posts: 111

To the OP: Welcome to the best and worst part of EVE.

I was in a similar situation when I started, but the reason I no longer subscribe after playing for about 6 months (on and off for a year) is because eventually I realized that my goals were just in congruent with the system. (also losing literally everything I had over and over to sudden pirate attacks really didn't help.)

As for the goals VS fun argument... my view is that fulfilling goals = Fun. Sure a certain amount of fun is had in every game at first as you learn and try new things (A larger goal of human life itself), and EVE is no different. In fact, it's great when your starting, since it's a deep game and I know I personally set the goal to learn how the mechanics and such worked, and I enjoyed doing so. So much in fact that I took up mining mostly so that I could peruse the game's wiki while playing to learn and plan. But after I finished studying and knew most of what I wanted to, I had decided all I wanted to do was PvE, and unfortunately, the standing system meant I had months of stupid low-level quest grinding that I couldn't even use my shiney battlecruiser (payed for from mining) on.
    I knew my other option was corping up, but that would mean me and my 2 friends that MMO-hop with me would have to abandon our small personal corp that we had grown fond of. Not to mention I've had bad experiences with 100% of the larger corps I've been in trying to control everything I do, either take most of what I get or give me so much that the challenge of building my ship disappeared, or just trying to get me to devote my life to them.

I thought I'd share my story because, as i said earlier, I too asked myself the exact same question as the OP. Personally, I believe EVE has alot of fun stuff to offer, but if you don't want to get involved with the PVP and the huge risks that come with it, or at least REALLY get social and involved with a PvE or mining corp, it's hard to get any motivation after just a few months.

--------------------------------
    -Been there, done that: Xsyon, WoW, EVE, Maplestory, City of Heroes, Guild Wars, Warhammer Online, FF11, Rift
    -Currently playing: Not MMOs
    -Wants to check out: SWTOR, Dark Millennium

The same reason you do anything that someone tells you will be fun.....

It's better to lurk in forums and be thought a fool...than to endlessly "Quote" and remove all doubts.

• PoopyStuffPoopyStuff Member Posts: 297

If you want to define the Goal.

In one word.

Power.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

To have fun?

edit: oh I guess kabaal refined the quesioin. Still, to me fun is its own goal regardless of any others.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo