Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is It Work Or Fun?

XerathuleXerathule Member UncommonPosts: 114

One thing I have noticed that got worse with World of Warcraft is the constant questing to progress as solo (because of nobody to group with when leveling) or finding a group and going to instances, but that is a very rare situation if you don't know a lot of people that play and for certain when starting a new character, leaving new players out in the cold.  This becomes very tiresome after a long while mainly because your running all over the place doing errands instead of progressing with the strategy required to level.  This becomes mindless to the point that you start to zone out while you fight and you start to go into autopilot subconsciously and it is all trivial. This kind of progress - which is done the majority of the time - is considered to be work in my book instead of using your head to figure out how to get through it.  It is good for sales because most will succeed but at the same time those people will get exhausted and will not want to keep doing this.  

I now have all classes in WoW at 70+ except for the Hunter and after you have played all roles in the game and doing most of the quests, you will have problems finding anything new to the game being that you have played most of the game to this point.  To not have a mentoring system like EQ2 and Vanguard, you really are left out in the cold when needing to find a group as well leaving you with only quests.  If Blizzard doesn't implement something like this soon, they will have a hard time getting new players to the game.  Blizzard better being thinking of these things if they have another MMO in the works.

What I consider fun is Tactics and Strategy as the core elements of games and I'm sure most people here do too.  If you find yourself thinking in the short-term and not thinking ahead and coming to the conclusion that what your doing - in whatever game your playing - is just more of the same and it takes a lot of gathering or grinding to get to an unclear goal, then you might be wasting your time, all while paying a monthly subscription.  This is a very important thing to examine any MMO game you play before you waste your time.  I used to want to get to the max level so that I could run through old camps that I couldn't take before and get their loot to sell or just to have a better character or to have some cool gear I wanted or new spells and better pets. Without these goals and fun combat mechanics with strategy to go with it, you are really just wasting your time.

Comments

• _Jord__Jord_ Member Posts: 228

In WoW, you can now queue up for dungeons while you're leveling. You can do group content easier than ever before. I dont' even play it, but that's a damn good feature that any game could use. Your problem is all you do is level characters. It's mindless and boring, but not really any more or less-so than other MMOs out there.

The bottom line is it will be what you make of it. Want to group up and make the game fun? You can. Want to solo while your brain goes onto autopilot? You can do that, too.

EDIT - and your last paragraph is retarded. You say your goal is to be able to level up so that you can trivialize content for yourself? Huh? In the same post you talk about wanting strategy? Please give an example of an MMO where leveling up takes "strategy." Sounds good, in theory. I'd play a game if it could execute that in reality.

------
    Played - UO, FFXI, WAR, WoW, EVE
    Currently - Bored.

• XerathuleXerathule Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Originally posted by _Jord_

In WoW, you can now queue up for dungeons while you're leveling. You can do group content easier than ever before. I dont' even play it, but that's a damn good feature that any game could use. Your problem is all you do is level characters. It's mindless and boring, but not really any more or less-so than other MMOs out there.
    The bottom line is it will be what you make of it. Want to group up and make the game fun? You can. Want to solo while your brain goes onto autopilot? You can do that, too.
     EDIT - and your last paragraph is retarded. You say your goal is to be able to level up so that you can trivialize content for yourself? Huh? In the same post you talk about wanting strategy? Please give an example of an MMO where leveling up takes "strategy." Sounds good, in theory. I'd play a game if it could execute that in reality.

In Everquest 1 you leveled from fighting and the places you had to fight required certain tactics to gain levels or you die and lose experience.  Unrest for example was a difficult place to level when at the normal level that is and sometimes even later on in levels.  These places we went to because we wanted to level and to do that it required you to be able to survive.  This is what i'm talking about.

To clarify about goals and strategy; I would do that to farm loot is all, not for a challenge.  Most people would understand that coming from the EQ days or even the WoW days.  When soloing or grouping for experience is the main point I'm trying to get across.