Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are MMO Gamers all Jerks?

Mopar63Mopar63 Member UncommonPosts: 300

Okay the title is a little all encompassing and not really fair. For that matter the jerk title applies pretty equally to computer gamers in general but the question is still valid.

What I mean is that gamers do not seem to be able to let others contently enjoy their game without feeling the need to bash something they personally do not like.

While the recent example of this is STO the truth is this applies to every MMO. I see people ona regular basis bash EVE. Not constructive critisism but open bashing. We cannot leave out WoW which is subject to constant bashing. But as I said we see this in every game.

It is not just the bashers that are jerks however but also the fan boys. You will find some person that things WoW is the greatest game they have ever played. However it is not enough for them to play their game, they must now go out and attack other games within their respective forums and scream that all the people there must acknowledge thier opinion that thier game is the greatest ever.

Why can we not allow others to enjoy the game they enjoy? Why can we not simple not play games we do not enjoy?  I mean I hate the feel of the Chevy HR but love the PT Cruiser. I do not go visit the local Chevy dealer 5 times a day to scream at people there buying Chevys that they must get a PT Cruiser or they are all foolws and suck. Yet that is exactly what so many MMO gamers, and gamers in general do.

You know what would be a real treat? To go into a games forum and find it full of threads where people are discussing the game without the need to bash another person.

For right now the target is STO and it's players are getting hammered pretty hard. SO hard that even this site has had to justify a stand. News flash for the bashers, there are people enjoying this game. If you do not then that is cool. If you have a complaint take it to Cryptic, MMORPG cannot help with game issues. If you hate the game do not play it. If you feel cheated then write a blog entry about your experiences. Why come and fill the forum with yet another thread of how you are the only person with a clue and since you do not like the game others must not either.

In a few months another game will come under the interest of these people and another group will be the ones being harressed. However I think it would be cool if we could stop this now and actually act like we where older than 7 years old and fighting about who daddy is bigger.

If you love a game then I think that is super. It doe not matter if I love it or not. It does not matter if it is technically on par with some other game. What matters in the end is that you are having fun and that is enough. If you do not love the game that is cool too, but instead of harrassing others why not go spend time with people that love the game you love?

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011

People tend to actively bash things in order to minimize or trivialize what they are bashing and simultaneously bolster their own choices thus making them feel like they have made the "right" choices.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Toquio3Toquio3 Member Posts: 1,074
    Originally posted by Sovrath

People tend to actively bash things in order to minimize or trivialize what they are bashing and simultaneously bolster their own choices thus making them feel like they have made the "right" choices.

Sounds about right. The thing is, there is no wrong choice. All the choices are the right ones. When it comes to taste anyway.

If you stand VERY still, and close your eyes, after a minute you can actually FEEL the universe revolving around PvP.

• FadeToBlack3FadeToBlack3 Member Posts: 89

Its a self esteem issue in my opinion, people who are trolls on the internet get the kind of attention they are missing in real life or it makes them feel powerful/better about themselves. 

Wolfenpride: <--Giant fucking sword syndrome.

Probably cause im trying to compensate for miniscule manhood.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

A forum by definition is a public place for discussion, yet people seem to be offended by others using a forum as a public place of discussion.

People will dislike games and voice their opinions, people will like games and voice their opinions. This will cause arguing and discussion. It is all perfectly valid until it gets down to flat out trolling of telling each other they are stupid or retards. So yes people will "bash" a game they don't like and people will praise a game they do like, it's the whole point of a game specific forum.

You can always not read the things people write.

One thing I have been surprised at lately is MMORPGs workers letting people post how they feel. (every now and then they delete a post that doesn't violate the rules but then if you repost the exact thing again they let it go, I had this happen when it was the first post on one of their "exclusives" and I think it was to try and control the direction of the posts, but once it went negative anyways they let my post stay). I've posted directly against the article writers several times and they let the posts stay and sometimes even have an argument back and forth with me.

I can respect a place that lets people post how they feel and their actual thoughts as long as it doesn't resort to personal attacks and flaming.

• hidden1hidden1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

I don't think I bash... I usually make some comment or opinion or take on something and try using reason to explain why.  I believe you are mostly correct, but not all gamers are jerks... just most.  I do find it annoying when someone says something to the effect that "this... that... sucks/fail" and give no explanation as to why.  I guess throwing a generalized negative (or positive) label without an explanation seems "jerkish".

• storm-dragonstorm-dragon Member Posts: 157

I think about 99% of what you read on gaming forums can be summed up with this comic.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/02/10/

This sword here at my side dont act the way it should
    Keeps calling me its master, but I feel like its slave
    Hauling me faster and faster to an early, early grave
    And it howls! it howls like hell!

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

My theory is that it is a little like rooting for your favorite football team.  People are emotionally "invested" in a game and feel like if the game wins its a win for the player too.  Then again some people are just trolls.

• rashherorashhero Member UncommonPosts: 510

From my observations, we're mostly jerks because we tend to believe that our own personal individual opinions are more often than not correct and factual and when someone disagrees, we see them as being ignorant just for having a different sense of what they find either enjoyable or boring.

• hidden1hidden1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by rashhero

From my observations, we're mostly jerks because we tend to believe that our own personal individual opinions are more often than not correct and factual and when someone disagrees, we see them as being ignorant just for having a different sense of what they find either enjoyable or boring.

I disagree with you, but you are correct!  (hee hee joking... good point nonetheless)

• goldenr1goldenr1 Member Posts: 113

The biggest reason, by far, that people are jerks is because of the anonymity associated with posting on a forum. Think of how you would talk to someone disagreeing with you, to your face. Now imagine them as a 6'6" 240lb UFC champion. Going to be a bit nicer, right? Now imagine them as a 4'5" bitchy little girl. No need to be nearly as nice, right? The simple fact of the matter is that the internet has fostered the idea that civility should only be present in the face of a threat. No one here is a visible threat to anyone else, so the harassment and anger swells and grows with an unimaginable force. It's the nature of developed nations to act this way, unfortunately. I mean hell, would you cut in line then turn around and flip off the person right behind you because they said, "Excuse me!" Probably not. Would you do it when you are safe in your car, and they honk because you cut them off? Yeah, probably.

A dyslexic man walked into a bra.

• KhawngKhawng Member Posts: 10

It's because people have the comfort of knowing that their RL location & identity is totally anonymous to whoever their bashing on. And even if it weren't. its probably hundreds/thousands of miles from any harm. Thats why they get so bold. I bet you this post will get quoted and replied with "Wow that was your first post on these forums? blah blah blah <input clever bash here>"

• 0tter0tter Member UncommonPosts: 226

You can always tell when you've won an arguement on these forums.  When your "opponent" resorts to calling you a fanboi or troll, it means they have absolutely no basis for their opinion that said game is terrible or great.  Just end the conversation right there because you are dealing with a mentally unarmed person and it wouldn't be fair to continue.

• AalyniaAalynia Member Posts: 25

I believe Penny Arcade illustrated this concept best.

But frankly, it's not just gaming. You're right--people generally don't go around to Chevy dealers yelling at people if they don't buy PT Cruisers. However, have you looked in political forums? What about television forums? They can get just as heated as gaming forums. When people feel a vested interest in something--emotionally, financially, and otherwise--they sometimes become idiots over the subject matter.

Personally, I'm an English Literature student--I can't tell you how many times my friends and I go out and bash things like Twilight! :-D

• IlvaldyrIlvaldyr Member CommonPosts: 2,142

Anonymity + Internet = Asschab.

Sad truth; give some people a keyboard and they become instantly convinced that they are the most intelligent form of life on the planet, their opinions are absolutely 100% bullet-proof and factual, and that everyone else is just jealous of their moral, intellectual and physical prowess.

We call it "epeen".

Playing: EVE, Final Fantasy 13, Uncharted 2, Need for Speed: Shift
  • KhawngKhawng Member Posts: 10

close, but no cigar :-p

I've always had a passion of hate for WoW.

Although, that might have to be my next MMO to try :(

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142
    Originally posted by Sovrath

I think it's this along with a measure of insecurity where the "basher" isn't secure in their choices and must then proceed to trivialize other people's choices to make their more valid.  It's a little voice in the back of their mind going "I don't know if you've made the right choice, but just to save face, go make fun of that guy over there playing <insert game>"

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• mpedersenmpedersen Member Posts: 40

It's not MMO players,  it's people that are on the Internet.  Though most people on the net are nice,  it's the ones that area total jerks that stand out.  The net provides a "safe haven" for social outcasts that can let their inner nature shine through.

People are anonymous,  and therefore can do things on the net that they may only think about in real life.

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142
    Originally posted by mpedersen

It's not MMO players,  it's people that are on the Internet.  Though most people on the net are nice,  it's the ones that area total jerks that stand out.  The net provides a "safe haven" for social outcasts that can let their inner nature shine through.
    People are anonymous,  and therefore can do things on the net that they may only think about in real life.

Here, I'll post a picture of the links people have been making...

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• lttexxanlttexxan Member UncommonPosts: 429

The food chain is evident in every human interaction.

We as humans sit at the very top.

Sharks come in somewhere in the top ten...with Tigers and Lions and assholes on the internet.

Give everyone the opportunity to express their opinions with no adverse effects.....

Well this brings us back to the OP.

What if every time you posted something unfounded and hateful it took years off of your life?

Now that would make the internet worth browsing again.

Too intellectual for this site.....no doubt....just passing through...now moving on.

It's better to lurk in forums and be thought a fool...than to endlessly "Quote" and remove all doubts.

• tort0429tort0429 Member UncommonPosts: 297

I made a wrong turn once and this 80 year old woman starting screaming at me and using the most vulgar language you can imagine.  It's called road rage, in what they think is the safety in their car, people will go insane and say things they will not say directly to your face and out of a car.  

The similar thing with the internet and MMO's.  As long as they feel safe and hidden behind their monitor screens, they can forget about etiquette, kindness, consideration, niceness and so on, and write things that are insulting to make them feel better about themselves.  It's a bit of insecurity and immaturity, imo.   People like the OP, and myself and I'm sure many others are getting tired of this disgusting childish behavior.  We remember that people are playing to have fun and that MMO's are community based.  If you don't like playing in a community, leave, but don't be hateful and insulting to try and make yourself feel better at the expense of others.

While in an MMO I enjoy helping people and answering newbie questions.  Makes me feel good to do so.  Then you get the nasty players who say things like, "Figure it out yourself" or  resort to name calling.   Years ago, I remember the genre was better with regard to how people treated each other, there were still those who were nasty and mean, but few and far between compared to today, which seems to be the norm.

Good post OP and I feel your pain, but I'm afraid the problem will only get worse.  It has a lot to do with the way a person has been raised, the way they were taught values and respect for others feelings and just how good or bad a person you wants to be.

• AstralglideAstralglide Member UncommonPosts: 686
    Originally posted by Illius

Originally posted by mpedersen

Here, I'll post a picture of the links people have been making...

I'm not worthy! 

A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire

• Mopar63Mopar63 Member UncommonPosts: 300

Wow we have three pages of post and no one has called anyone else names. This is what we would all hope forums would be like. To all of you that have posted thank you for showing how mature people discuss a topic.

• lttexxanlttexxan Member UncommonPosts: 429
    Originally posted by lttexxan

The food chain is evident in every human interaction.

We as humans sit at the very top.

Sharks come in somewhere in the top ten...with Tigers and Lions and assholes on the internet.

Give everyone the opportunity to express their opinions with no adverse effects.....

Well this brings us back to the OP.

What if every time you posted something unfounded and hateful it took years off of your life?

Now that would make the internet worth browsing again.

Too intellectual for this site.....no doubt....just passing through...now moving on.

For clarity...read the above post......

The real answer is 42.

It's better to lurk in forums and be thought a fool...than to endlessly "Quote" and remove all doubts.

• beefaroniapbeefaroniap Member Posts: 78

mmo gamers are all jerks for one main reason. they are for the majority adolescents. WEho at there stage of development are prone to be rebels and if they cant rebel at home they will do it in there mmo. And the other jerks are adults who hate how there life turned out so they are just angry and need counseling.. but id say 50 percent of gamers are decent people they are just the less talkative in there mmos.. id bet you'd find more decent people in an mmo or game if you actually looked. The game also has to do with the rudeness.. a more violent game a more testosterone driven crowd ie rudeness vulgarity