Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looks like someone's actually trying to make GAMES out of Second Life...

johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663

Interesting...I actually want to try Nomos on for size...maybe Kingdom of Sand as well.

http://www.socionex.com/game/

Comments

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Actually people have been making RPGs and other games via Second Life since the first year it was released.  I heard it can be quite profitable too.  Probably a good place for aspiring game developers to start.

• johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663

This is news to me. All I've heard of it is that people were trying to make virtual playgrounds out of it, all simply consisting of different scenery.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059
    Originally posted by johnmatthais

This is news to me. All I've heard of it is that people were trying to make virtual playgrounds out of it, all simply consisting of different scenery.

I remember reading an article in a gaming mag about 5 years ago that detailed a lot of the more popular "games" in Second Life (most being RPGs where a player can level characters/skills, hunt monsters, and get loot).  A lot of them sounding like loads of fun too.  The engine is really robust and allows you to some pretty creative things with it (and you can convert the virtual currency you receive in game to real life profit).  I was actually going to try Second Life around when it was released and I remember reading about players making a tactical/army type third person shooter using the engine too.

• johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663

Awesome. I'm definitely going to have to look closer into it some time...

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

Second Life is a real sandbox game.  You have close to 100% freedom to do what you want including making of a game within SL.  Anything made by a dev, combat system, roads, towns, npcs, swords is theme park, anything made by a player is sandbox.  In SL, players can make anything, even a new face for their toon.

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

It's sort of a game, but sounds more like roleplay. Which is cool and all, but with the "sex beds" and "slaves" it sounds like  a lot of Second Life, much of the game will revolve around cyber sex. Nothing wrong with that, but I like something with a bit more "game".  On a positive note, furries are banned from the game.

Summary

There are now three main combat modes: Non-Combatant mode, Default Combat mode, and Warrior mode.

Now it should be simple to state in your meter what type of play you prefer and easy for other players to see also.

In short:

* Non-Combatant: You do not wish to fight at all or you carry out all your combat through Role play without the use of a SGS scripted weapon.

* Default Combat Mode: you would prefer some kind of Rp woven into your combat

* Warrior mmode: Pure fight on sight, any time any place.

Non-Combatant

If you are Non-Combatant:

* As a non-combatant player you cannot use a scripted weapon therfore all your Combats take place through Role Play.

* It is up to you to be sure other players in other combat modes are aware of this if you get into a combat situation.

* You understand that you cannot use non-combatant mode as a shield against other combat modes.

Default Combat Mode

If you are in Default Combat Mode:

* You cannot attack Non-Combatant players.

* You can attack warrior players but you must first warn them OOC or with some role play interaction.

Warrior Mode

If you are in Warrior Mode:

* You can attack anyone else in Warrior mode whenever you like however you like.

* You can still attack Default mode players but there needs to be some form of build-up to the attack either in role play or some OOC agreement.

* You cannot Attack Non-Combatants.