Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for an open-ended MMORPG

johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663

Well, one week and Darkfall fails to hold me again. This time around I can see that it is, in fact, shaping up to be a PvPer's wet dream and that people have a good reason to love what it is now.

However...it just didn't hold me.

Coupled with Mortal's failure, I'm pretty much just stuck here. I wish Mortal would have done a bit better. If it were a more polished game, I'd be playing the hell out of it right now.

Gnostaria is one of my most anticipated, but it doesn't drop publicly til March and that's only the alpha.

Atriarch and Dawn I had high hopes for, especially with Atriarch's building system. However, they've both evaporated to the point that you can't even contact the people behind Atriarch anymore and god forbid Glitchless forget about Nodiatis for 5 min.

Nodiatis I tried, but...yeah...I dunno. It seemed like a deep game. Just seemed...kinda...I don't know how to describe it.

Face of Mankind I'm going to try going back to, but it's only in the quest to find something both my girlfriend and I enjoy.

Wurm's f2p community doesn't talk enough...

Ryzom I might end up trying again. I didn't get a chance to really give it a chance because I was trying it with my girlfriend and her computer didn't like it.

Uru Live remains in server maintenance after being hammered. I'll be playing this one, but probably more casually.

Haven and Hearth I just couldn't get into.

Dawntide is still way in the early stages of development.

Citadel of Sorcery remains to not have any visible progress.

Runescape is...yeah, I think it's self explanatory.

Ultima Online I hear too many mixed opinions about to really want to sit down and think about playing it.

EvE was just wayyy too automated. As I've said, I literally took a shower during the first long-distance travelling the tutorial made me do.

Perpetuum could be a great game, but I'm still waiting to see what it'll cost. Could end up being the budget version of EvE.

Force of Arms remains limited.

Magic of the Gods remains just out of reach.

Ensemble is entering alpha soon...

In any case, can anyone recommend me a good open-ended MMO?

Not looking for a sandbox, so to speak. Just an open-ended MMO.

EDIT: Missed these:

Fallen Earth I played for a year and a half and was heartbroken at how little was done to form a solid direction on it. I was trying to get back into it a while ago...then my comp died. I may try again if the trials are still going.

Earthrise is another of my most anticipated. Still a ways off though.

Vanguard I played and got tired of getting beaten up by things that were obviously meant to be played in a group with.

SWG I played but I cringed at ground combat and quit.

Pirates of the Burning Sea I played and enjoyed but I just didn't have the will to catch up with everyone, plus the fact that I hear it's on life support.

N.E.O. I played but...well I don't have a solid opinion on it.

Comments

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Damn dude.

I'm sorry but you may just need to take a break from mmos for a bit.

You've played damn near everything.

Play some elderscrolls or something.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663
    Originally posted by Rockgod99

Again?! xD

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

Try Fallen Earth again.

The game is leaps and bounds better than at release and they just released a huge patch today fixing a lot of glitches and adding a new high level area with 50-60 missions along with a level cap increase to 46 with another huge content patch coming in 3-4 weeks.

Link for the free trial is in my sig.

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• TharlogTharlog Member Posts: 36

I dunno if you've heard of Xsyon or not but it's looking very promising. An open ended sandbox indie MMO with a small development team (roughly 11 from what I've heard) It plans on a limited release next month (3/15/10) and has a lot of interesting and unique ideas which makes it one to watch. Currently they're working on an updated website with more info and a full game features list, also possibly adding some video clips within the next month before release. If you have any immediate questions make sure to stop by the Xsyon IRC chat room and talk to Virtus, he's usually online waiting to answer MOST of your questions.

I've played enough indie MMORPG's to know the difference between vaporware and a promising game, an insta-flop and a game with tons of potential and Xsyon is shaping up to be a real contender in a industry filled with empty promises and half-assed production. Check out the game for yourself at...

www.Xsyon.com

And if you're interested be sure to spread the good word!

Word to your Mother

-Tharlog.

Originally posted by Tharlog

I dunno if you've heard of Xsyon or not but it's looking very promising. An open ended sandbox indie MMO with a small development team (roughly 11 from what I've heard) It plans on a limited release next month (3/15/10) and has a lot of interesting and unique ideas which makes it one to watch. Currently they're working on an updated website with more info and a full game features list, also possibly adding some video clips within the next month before release. If you have any immediate questions make sure to stop by the Xsyon IRC chat room and talk to Virtus, he's usually online waiting to answer MOST of your questions.
    I've played enough indie MMORPG's to know the difference between vaporware and a promising game, an insta-flop and a game with tons of potential and Xsyon is shaping up to be a real contender in a industry filled with empty promises and half-assed production. Check out the game for yourself at...
    www.Xsyon.com
    And if you're interested be sure to spread the good word!

Word to your Mother
    -Tharlog.

I have heard of it, I have.

Does pre-ordering get you beta yet? Just curious. =D

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    Originally posted by johnmatthais

Again?! xD

Dude if it wasn't for Eve I would be right there with you searching for a game that doesn't exist.

Such a small list of open-ended titles... a shame really.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

Originally posted by johnmatthais

Again?! xD

Dude if it wasn't for Eve I would be right there with you searching for a game that doesn't exist.

Such a small list of open-ended titles... a shame really.

It is a shame. Such vast, untapped potential.

Well from what I've heard (which isn't 100% official) is that since players have been reacting negatively to no open beta, the Developers might add a short open beta period before the March release. Now I'm not positive if this is a preorder "pay to play" beta or just an average open beta. But Virtus in the IRC could probably answer that more clearly than I.

I just did a search of the forums saying that there was no beta, and yeah, I saw the negative reactions. I may have to drop in IRC later.

Good idea. By the way I love Gnostaria! I've been following for about a year now. What's your name on the forums there?

My name on the forums there is the same as my name here. 

...and oddly I'm not getting any responses from Zeruel anymore. xD

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Damn dude.
    I'm sorry but you may just need to take a break from mmos for a bit.
    You've played damn near everything.

...take the brak and wait for Elder Scrolls online ;)

Rumors still go that Bethesda is making ES5 as MMO (can't wait)

Yeah it's not like the old days where he'd respond in like an hour. But I think it's because he's hard at work for the open beta. Which is interesting because Xsyon and Gnostaria are both gonna be playable around mid-March. My head's gonna explode  I think.

Originally posted by Tharlog

Yeah it's not like the old days where he'd respond in like an hour. But I think it's because he's hard at work for the open beta. Which is interesting because Xsyon and Gnostaria are both gonna be playable around mid-March. My head's gonna explode  I think.

I'll be jumping on the Gnostaria train first, unless Xsyon does a free open beta, in which case my head will explode, too. xD