Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a Laptop >/=1000

ZhanghiaZhanghia Member UncommonPosts: 1,312

So, I'm getting my tax refund and I've been saving up a few paychecks and I'm trying to scoop out a decent gaming rig for a laptop since I'm heading off to college in a few months.

I know Gateway FX was brought up last year but I'm certain there's other deals to be found. Ala I've found this one on HH Gregg's website. http://www.hhgregg.com/ProductDetail.asp?SID=n&ProductID=24390&BrandStore=All#page

But I don't know the quality of the graphics card for the long term. I can go a little bit higher or lower as needed. I'd write more but I gotta head off to work. Garr.. Thanks!!

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Best you can get for $1000.

I bet no one can beat it.

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

Maybe if I hand built one I could beat that Cleffy but I gota be honest, thats a awesome rig. A lot like my Asus just with more video card to push it. Gota love asus laptops lol.

• ZhanghiaZhanghia Member UncommonPosts: 1,312
    Originally posted by Cleffy

That seems to be a single core.. and even at 1.6ghz that seems kinda meh. I don't know know a LOT about laptops but I do know about computer rigs and such and running at 1.6ghz with most anything nowadays would be wasted effort.

I may, in fact, just be an idiot though and miss the big picture of your laptop.

EDIT: Especially if it's single core. If it was dual which I'm doubting, it might be a bit more decent at 3.2ghz.

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547
    Originally posted by Zhanghia

That seems to be a single core.. and even at 1.6ghz that seems kinda meh. I don't know know a LOT about laptops but I do know about computer rigs and such and running at 1.6ghz with most anything nowadays would be wasted effort.

I may, in fact, just be an idiot though and miss the big picture of your laptop.

EDIT: Especially if it's single core. If it was dual which I'm doubting, it might be a bit more decent at 3.2ghz.

Umm... dude that's an i7 M. Look it up. Quad and 4 virtuals, so 8 CPUs register. It also scales heavily based on load, the "1.6ghz" is basically just to save power on laptops.... it can potentially be alot more (2.8ghz).. Read up on it. People are here to help you, but you need to listen to them and not use 10yr old logic when dealing with computers.

Judging processors based on GHZ is like 10yrs ago man. I run an i7 920 2.6ghz on my desktop, and I PROMISE you it would absolutely DEMOLISH a 10ghz single core. Obviously ghz matter, but if you're looking at a quad at 1.6ghz or a dual at 3.2ghz, the quad is going to destroy the dual. There are also alot of other factors that come into play than they did 10yrs ago, when you're looking at today's computer parts. But, you really don't need to know about all that.

That is by far the best laptop you're going to get for sub $1k. I actually posted almost the exact same thing he said in another thread last week.

Oh btw. If you really want a 3.2ghz processor, you could always buy the desktop i7 975 for $1000 instead of the laptop that's listed. lol

(I mean just the processor alone)

• chesiremorphchesiremorph Member Posts: 128

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/load_configuration.do?destination=review&config_id=4311502&aoid=35252

Add this coupon code   NBLB654877  and it drops the price 300 dollars to 1000.98

Check Deals2buy.com for laptop sales. They update daily. Seriously, I buy so much crap off that website. The prices are wicked. sometimes a week will pass with nothing good, then WHAM!! a $450.00 intel duel core laptop with discrete graphics will be there, ( my wife got that one) Hell I even bought a bunch of king size quilts for $7.00 a piece last year... X-mas presents. They were nice.

EDIT > O'h and like the dude said above, I7 is about the best you can get in a laptop. DESTROYS duel core... and smokes intel quad core.

BoB

Originally posted by chesiremorph

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/load_configuration.do?destination=review&config_id=4311502&aoid=35252

Add this coupon code   NBLB654877  and it drops the price 300 dollars to 1000.98

Check Deals2buy.com for laptop sales. They update daily. Seriously, I buy so much crap off that website. The prices are wicked. sometimes a week will pass with nothing good, then WHAM!! a $450.00 intel duel core laptop with discrete graphics will be there, ( my wife got that one) Hell I even bought a bunch of king size quilts for $7.00 a piece last year... X-mas presents. They were nice.

I have owned 5 HP laptops in the last 2yrs, every-single-one is broken. Figured I would have learned my lesson after the 3rd one crapping out on me, but no..........

Don't buy HP. I would buy an Acer before I bought another HP laptop. At least everyone I know that bought an Acer around the same time I bought my first HP, still has their computer.

And Toshiba, those are crap too.

Edit:

I did put them through quite a bit of punishment, but still......... I know alot of other people who put their laptops through the same punishment and most still have theirs. Except for the HP and Toshiba guys.

• AevenathAevenath Member UncommonPosts: 116

I LOVE Windows Desktops, but can't stand Windows Laptops...gotta have a Mac IMO. Though the deal Cleffy posted was really good.

• LasastardLasastard Member Posts: 604

I'd go with that one,if it has to be a gaming machine.

Personally I prefer Macbooks, because of the quality of fabrication etc. But they are obviously not meant for cutting-edge gaming.

• chesiremorphchesiremorph Member Posts: 128
    Originally posted by TheHatter

I have owned 5 HP laptops in the last 2yrs, every-single-one is broken. Figured I would have learned my lesson after the 3rd one crapping out on me, but no..........

Don't buy HP. I would buy an Acer before I bought another HP laptop. At least everyone I know that bought an Acer around the same time I bought my first HP, still has their computer.

Acer laptops are notorious for overheating issues. DO NOT BUY AN ACER WITH DISCRETE GRAPHICS!!> they make great intro laptops. Quality construction, cases are solid. On the Medium/High end, they do not provide good ventilation at all. AVOID

You'd think Asus would be great at venting a laptop case since they make so many fanless motherboard setups but they have the same problems as Acer on the medium/High end. AVOID 

The HP DV6 laptops are great. I use an artist edition. The DV7 is the same style. the worst thing I can say about them is that they are fingerpring magnets.

BoB

Originally posted by TheHatter

Edit:

I did put them through quite a bit of punishment, but still......... I know alot of other people who put their laptops through the same punishment and most still have theirs. Except for the HP and Toshiba guys.

Hmm, I guess I really am getting old in my knowledge. *scratches his head* My apologies. I think I will do what you suggested but I'll obviously have to give it some time anyway since it'll be at least another week til my refund. Definetely bookmarked, thank you.

Apple loses in Quality and Customer Service to ASUS, they also lose in Quality to MSI and Acer according to recent consumer reports for Laptops.  ASUS and MSI are lead motherboard and video card OEM manufacturers.  Everything going in is of assured quality as a result with no middle-man fee.  Apple mostly uses Foxconn and are slow to adopt new technology.  The big advantage for Apple is the use of IPS panels instead of TN panels.

For the HP you are paying a couple cents more for a worse brand and worse video card.

I did a bit more research and it seems that this may be a laptop that rivals in performance. www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx But seems sold out for now.. Hmm..

Yup, that video card performs 10% better but consumes twice as much power.  Its processor is less effecient and also draws more power.

Originally posted by Zhanghia

I did a bit more research and it seems that this may be a laptop that rivals in performance. www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx But seems sold out for now.. Hmm..

No it doesn't. Slower processor, less efficient, and uses more power. The vid is slightly better, but when combined with the processor the machine is worse.

And like cleffy said, it's going to have a much shorter battery life. The i7 m scales from 1.6 to 2.8 depending on load.

Hmm, all good points. The only other thing I can think of that would rival it would be www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp. As someone has stated last year, the specs still look good but I, of course, could be wrong. Just thought I should bring it up.

So, I already got my tax refund and I just put in 300 in my bank acct to make a total of $1100 so I can purchase it tonight. Would really like to know the comparison between Gateway and that ASUS laptop before I make a grand decision.

The thing I hate about mobile video cards is you have to research their performance since they don't perform as well as their desktop counterpart.  I literally cannot find anything better under $2000.  Not enough competitors have switched to the more robuse ATI Mobility 5xxx series or Core i7 processors.  The ASUS I listed earlier is better in everyway to that Gateway.

I actually ended up picking up the laptop on Tuesday seeing as how I did some searching around, didn't even have to do newegg. The local Micro Center (hah, local.. like 39 minutes away) had it. They certainly did their share of ass-kissing, I  had received at least 3 business cards upon purchasing it as if I was some celebrity.. it's just a thousand dollar laptop.

Out of the box, it seems to be well worth the money. I put it on the new 3dmark vantra and was running at 9-10 FPS for the beginning benchmark so for a laptop to be able to hold its ground like that is certainly impressive. I haven't done much gaming on it except for a session of League of Legends but what I saw was certainly very very SMOOTH. It does run a little hot though on the sides and like other reviewers have said, I'll likely have to get a cooler. It's a small price to pay though to be able to contain this beast. The back of the screen is a bit of a finger print magnet but I imagine I'll just be filling that with a custom vinyl image.. now if I could only pick something worth using.. Hmm..

Anyway, just wanted to say thank you for the suggestions. Really helped me out . I've been thinking about putting on Oblivion and Fallout 3 and seeing how well those run. *froths at the mouth*

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

The asus and msi are a bit warm hehe. Like you said a small price to pay for the performance. That and they keep aircraft so damned cold so when travelling I use my laptop as a warmer hehe. Grats on your purchase!