Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures: Introducting Guild Renown

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Guild Renown has come to Age of Conan in yesterday's roll out of the game's Update 6. Today, the team from Funcom tells us what the new feature is all about.

Guild Renown is a refreshing addition to our existing guild system. Players' individual actions will now have an impact on the overall guild's progression over a server-wide struggle for triumph.

One of the biggest problems many games face is providing tools for guild value, guild advancement, and long-term benefits that attract new members. Guilds that don't have tools available to make their organization valuable will struggle in finding new members, keeping those members and showing those members that yes, you do have an impact on the world you live in. Guilds in Age of Conan have an impact on the world through control and respect. Taking that one-step further, we are introducing a system by adding new mechanics that further promote the value and guild impact while making being a part of a guild more worthwhile than ever before.

Read Introducting Guild Renown.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• XxMaticxXXxMaticxX Member Posts: 115

I must say AOC seems to be headed in the right direction and turning the game around. I can't wait to hear about the PVP revamp I think the mentioned in an interview i read a week or so ago.

who knows maybe when the expac comes out ill buy it and resub to see how it is.

the Evil Raider that outgears you and makes you cry for welfare epics on the forums.

• HysteriosHysterios Member Posts: 3

Its look like a good thing in this update. I will proly renew with AoC.

• ElectriceyeElectriceye Member UncommonPosts: 1,171

I really wish I never tried AoC at launch.. Left such a bitter taste in my mouth that it's impossible to enjoy the game right now.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Superlative sheeeeeeet.....

I can't wait for the expansion pack. Soon as it comes out, I'm back in and ready to go for AoC again. If only they'd add an Outfit / Appearance System to the game now too. I'd be seriously happy with it then.

• XxMaticxXXxMaticxX Member Posts: 115
    Originally posted by Electriceye

I really wish I never tried AoC at launch.. Left such a bitter taste in my mouth that it's impossible to enjoy the game right now.

yeah thats going to be tough for me to get over as well. I wonder how the dark templar and ranger has held up over this time(my two characters).

the Evil Raider that outgears you and makes you cry for welfare epics on the forums.

• EATtheDEADEATtheDEAD Member Posts: 207
    Originally posted by XxMaticxX

yeah thats going to be tough for me to get over as well. I wonder how the dark templar and ranger has held up over this time(my two characters).

Dark Templars are actually badasses now. Since they revamped the clas I've enjoyed playing mine.  I tried one at launch and they were pathetic.

I just recently returned to AoC, wary and bitter. but everything is awesome now.  And DT's are AWESOME!

--------------------------------------
    Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The force shall free me.
    -the Sith code

• SpunnySpunny Member Posts: 4

i can only say just try it again.

i left in the early days too and played lotro for 2 years (but bored now)

i did a resub and i can say they have done a great job !!!

i really enjoy the game atm

• Skatty2007Skatty2007 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 231

Just playing devil's advocate here, but does anyone see the renown potentially being an 'elitist club' so to speak, where people in guilds will be judged based on how much renown they have or not have?  I like the concept of the renown system, but I fear some may say something like "You don't have enough renown, no raids for you until you get more" or something along those lines - where people get left out because they don't have the time alent
    ecipes to get a high renown?

I'm not saying it might happen, not sure I even believe it might happen.  Just an idea that came across me recently and I was wondering what other people thought.

I'm not creative enough to have a signature

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,080

The games been going in the right direction. I hope people renew and give it a try once the expansion comes out.

• DarkjinxterDarkjinxter Member Posts: 174
    Originally posted by Skatty2007

Just playing devil's advocate here, but does anyone see the renown potentially being an 'elitist club' so to speak, where people in guilds will be judged based on how much renown they have or not have?  I like the concept of the renown system, but I fear some may say something like "You don't have enough renown, no raids for you until you get more" or something along those lines - where people get left out because they don't have the time alent
    ecipes to get a high renown?

I'm not saying it might happen, not sure I even believe it might happen.  Just an idea that came across me recently and I was wondering what other people thought.

The first ranking list was posted last Saturday, given it depicts 4 rankings (total, valour, glory and artistry) there was a good mix of guilds appearing in the rankings. At the time of posting the rankings each guild's renown is reset, thus everyone starts all over again, so, it's most likely the top scoring guilds will change at next Saturdays posting.

As for elitism, yes perhaps the top-scoring guilds each week could feel a tad euphoric, but it's unlikely any guild would be daft enough to bar, or exclude others based on their renown.

[Disclaimer : I play AoC mainly because I am a fan of RE Howard's Conan stories, and the excellent community that exists on the server Crom]

• nicolsnicols Member Posts: 31

Whilst the system has a few wrinkles, it really breathed life into my (relatively modest sized) guild on Sunday. The desire to generate reknown led to a flurry of raids, all guild pvp mini games (on the blood ravine map even that rarely gets played on my server) plus frantic crafting and even bribing the town crier in old tarantia to say nice things about our guild (which gives a reknown bonus)... it turned out that getting an alt to be top of our own guild list was just as addictive as boosting the overall guild ranking. What Funcom have done here in basically one fell swoop is 

1) created a quantitative guild league table which appeals to the competitive nature in a lot of power players - keeps people subbing

2) made it fairly flexible so that its not just who is the biggest guild on the server / biggest gankers / pvpers who win (this is going to take more balancing but its at least pointing in the right direction)

3) created more fluff for RPers

4) created additional gold sinks (the city improvements / rp fluff) and given a boost to the trader markets (because crafting is currently getting big reknown rewards and people need the materials for the city improvements)

All this is in my opinion a big plus for both Funcom (gotta keep those subs) and the Players (more to do at endgame / sense of purpose for playing beyond seeing all the content/ general fun :-)) - its taken a long time and a shame it wasn't in game earlier but a nod of approval for Funcom is in order for this one me thinks. I'm curious to see if the system is just a novelty or it really does create a competitive environment that encourages players to stay in game. I hope its the latter.

Plus the patch had a class revamp (assassin), new high level content (a raid instance) plus a few bits and pieces of balancing etc. All in all a nice start to this patch cycle (but a few inevitable bugs and glitches too :-( ). Oh.. and one of the higher level reknown rewards gives players a controlled duelling arena in a tavern.. that's one step closer to the fabled drunken brawling feature :-)

Nicols

• DaredentDaredent Member UncommonPosts: 14

I played AoC at launch.   It was horrid.  I left the game after 3-4 months.   I have recently returned and I must say its a noticeable change.  I am having a blast and I cant wait for the expansion.   If your on the fence about trying it .. dont!

Here is a free trial :)

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

So renown resets after each guild posting rather than being cumulative?  Was wondering how that would be impacted by the departure/poaching of players to other guilds.  Otherwise, it sounds like a very clever implementation.

• nicolsnicols Member Posts: 31

My understanding is if a player leaves the guild and becomes unguilded, they lose their reknown (and to join another guild you have to become unguilded, even if its just a few seconds) but the old guild keeps their reknown points. This stops the abuse you allude to but has the occasional side effect i.e. leaving the guild to dual with a guildie means the player loses their reknown points. That's not a big deal really as they reset on a weekly basis anyway and an INDIVIDUALS reknown brings no bonus other than bragging points.. but yesterday, when for once,  I was the guildie with the top renown that day, that would have been really annoying :-).  I don't know what happens to their lifetime reknown total though - again it brings no bonus but losing that would be a bit worse. Again, I think this is the idea for introducing the arena.. you can duel guildies without anyone having to leave their guild.

Nicols

• alucard3000alucard3000 Member Posts: 414

bah I dont think I will ever play it again what with them deleting my characters under 20