Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures: Aquilonia, Jewel of the West

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

MMORPG.com Age of Conan Reporter John Humphrey writes this look at the Aquilonia region, one of the primary areas in Funcom's Age of Conan.

Aquilonia is the center of the civilized world in Age of Conan, one of nine Hyborian Kingdoms that Robert E. Howard imagined. When Howard created the Hyborian World in 1932 (long before Tolkien’s Middle-Earth in the late 1930’s), he placed Aquilonia in the area of Southern England and France, before a cataclysm that shifted the continents and sent the Pictish Wilderness under the North Sea. Let this not deceive you though. It is a hotspot of political intrigue, deception, plots, and outright insurrection. Aquilonia faces war on two fronts. On the eastern front, Nemedia was defeated less than a year earlier after trying to replace Conan with his predecessor’s last living heir; friction remains despite the Nemedian Ambassador’s attempts to generate a trade treaty. On the western front, the Westermarck yet feels the strain of repeated invasions by collected hordes of Picts.

These near-aborigines massacre all in their path eating human flesh and collecting the skulls of their fallen enemies. Yet, many of the local Aquilonians are none too eager to have the Barbarian King on their throne, King Conan I. To the south, the sorcerors and demon worshippers of Stygia toy with ancient artifacts of lost Acheron in order to conquer the rest of the uncivilized world and make them their slaves. Though the despot Numedides ruled with an iron hand, many nobles, and those Houses vying for favor and power, would unseat King Conan, if given half a chance, and return to less altruistic ways.

Read Aquilonia, Jewel of the West.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• Praxus1874Praxus1874 Member Posts: 152

One thing this game did right, and noone can deny it, is capture the look and feel of R.E. Howard's Hyboria.  It's a huge reason why I, and other people I know, still play it.  Exploring what I read about as a child and really feeling immersed in that world is a huge deal for me.  

Say what you will about the game, but give them this much at least.

Prax

• BelegStrongbowBelegStrongbow Member UncommonPosts: 296
    Originally posted by Praxus1874

One thing this game did right, and noone can deny it, is capture the look and feel of R.E. Howard's Hyboria.  It's a huge reason why I, and other people I know, still play it.  Exploring what I read about as a child and really feeling immersed in that world is a huge deal for me.  
    Say what you will about the game, but give them this much at least.
    Prax

/signed

Completely Agree,  This has to be the most immersive game to an IP lore than any other.  The graphics, dialog, immesion is pure R. E. Howard

Awesome article!

• NesrieNesrie Member Posts: 648

Is it just me or are we getting age of conan articles almost every other day now? Just looking over the past 10 days i see abotu 6 articles on this game, although one or two is a trailer.

parrotpholk-Because we all know the miracle patch fairy shows up the night before release and sprinkles magic dust on the server to make it allllll better.