Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who do you want making the Fallout MMO: Interplay or Bethesda?

johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663

Honestly, I'm completely fine with Interplay making the Fallout MMO. They have devs of the original Fallout games, perhaps even one or two of them were there back at Fallout's first inception. I don't know.

Point is, I don't care how long it takes. These people know exactly what's best for Fallout.

In my opinion, Bethesda screwed up with Fallout 3. Me and quite a few others I've talked to personally thought that if Fallout 3 were released as a fan mod for Oblivion, no one could have ever told the difference. 

I don't care how many endings Fallout 3 has. It's all based on alignment. Nothing changed with that game. No matter how many times you played through it, the only difference would be the possible ending depending on how many times you performed x action.

The original Fallout games were deep. Much deeper than Fallout 3, and there was a sense of the world truly being alive and a sense that there was a much better reason to play through the game over than simply to see another ending.

I don't know, maybe I'm just a grouchy fan of the original games.

Comments

• okorokor Member Posts: 103

Interthesda

• SimsuSimsu Member UncommonPosts: 386

I think its a pretty valid argument that Fallout 3 could have been an Oblivion mod using the same game just with new skins and quests... And although I've never sat down and thought about which company I would prefer to make the Fallout MMO I think I would have to say Interplay. Mostly because I think their version is more likely to be and feel more original where as I feel Bethesda's version has a high likelyhood of feeling like "Oblivian: Fallout Online"

• SlineerSlineer Member Posts: 246

I;m going to have to say Interplay. Honestly I have no preference but Bethesda is already working on an MMO based on The Elder scrolls  if I'm not mistaken, so lets see what interplay has to offer. C'mon Bethesda, you aren't afraid of a little competition are you?

• smoothmoovssmoothmoovs Member Posts: 36

While Fallout 3 was basically an Oblivion mod, it was an AMAZING Oblivion mod and its sales and many awards can back that claim up.  Interplay did a very good job too... but if I had to pick I'd go Bethesda.  If both could work on it even better.

As long as its as sandbox as 3, bring it.

• johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663
    Originally posted by smoothmoovs

While Fallout 3 was basically an Oblivion mod, it was an AMAZING Oblivion mod and its sales and many awards can back that claim up.  Interplay did a very good job too... but if I had to pick I'd go Bethesda.  If both could work on it even better.
    As long as its as sandbox as 3, bring it.

Just asking...did you ever play the first or second games? Your post isn't showing any proof you did. Fallout 3 paled in comparison to the first and second game in all aspects, including sandboxness.

Not to mention, your actions really mattered. They didn't just affect the ending, they affected each town you went through.

EDIT: Not trying to shoot down your opinion...was just hoping for the reason to be something a little more...well...more considerate of all the details...

• ShijeerShijeer Member Posts: 131

Bethesda had their chance, Interplay all the way. 

- Shijeer

• lethyslethys Member UncommonPosts: 585

IMO Bethesda is simply a better company, in all ways.

A little concept art doesn't show progression, interplay.  Bethesda would have done some sort of actual work by now if the product was still their own.

• CactusmanXCactusmanX Member Posts: 2,218

I couldn't stand Fallout 1 or 2, the combat systems of those games was so bad it killed the game for me, granted you probably wouldn't have the same combat system for an MMO, but Bethesda's game is so far the only one in the series I can stomach enough to play for a while, so I would probably give them the edge and my vote.

Don't you worry little buddy. You're dealing with a man of honor. However, honor requires a higher percentage of profit

• ForceQuitForceQuit Member Posts: 350

As long as Interplay doesn't screw up I don't mind them making it.  But they're not exactly the same company they once were.  What's interesting is that they have partnered with Masthead Studios to assist them in building V:13.  I think that's a good thing.  Earthrise, at least on paper sounds really great.

Originally posted by ForceQuit

As long as Interplay doesn't screw up I don't mind them making it.  But they're not exactly the same company they once were.  What's interesting is that they have partnered with Masthead Studios to assist them in building V:13.  I think that's a good thing.  Earthrise, at least on paper sounds really great.

Yeah, I'm totally fine with it. It's probably a much better decision than licensing something else, because it's more specialized towards the type of game they're making.

However, I'm also skeptical that when they come out, the subs will be split based on what scenery each person wants. >.> 

• Southpaw.GamerSouthpaw.Gamer Member CommonPosts: 572

Let Interplay do it, why? Because I'd rather Bethesda work on an Elders Scroll game be it an MMO or not.  Sorry, but I find the Elders Scrolls games better and a better use of their time.  Don't get me wrong Fallout is great, just isn't the same for me.

Full Sail University - Game Design

Originally posted by Bainwalker

Let Interplay do it, why? Because I'd rather Bethesda work on an Elders Scroll game be it an MMO or not.  Sorry, but I find the Elders Scrolls games better and a better use of their time.  Don't get me wrong Fallout is great, just isn't the same for me.

I did mention that I may just be a grumpy Fallout fan...

Then again, those that never played any of the games before Fallout 3 just don't understand it as well. It was a much different IP then. 

The transition to post-apocalyptic Oblivion screwed its image and screwed a lot of other things up. 

In effect, said people are going to say TES is a better IP, simply because it was the original and Fallout 3 was the spin-off.

• CymTyrCymTyr Member Posts: 166

If Interplay had unlimited time and funding, then I'd say Interplay. With current funding and time limits, I'm neutral.

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

As long as the people working on the game are capable of putting out the same quality of gameplay that fans expect, I don't see why the company publishing the game even matters, especially if Interplay has some of the same devs from the previous game.

The only thing the company behind the game will affect is how they intend on making money off it.. which I suppose could make or break any game.

So the question is: which company would ruin this game with greed? lol

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

I literally don't care, i personally don't have any experience with interplay so im leaning on  bethesda's side but if interplay really did handle the game better going from what you said then "May the better man win".

• LordOfTimeLordOfTime Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by johnmatthais

Honestly, I'm completely fine with Interplay making the Fallout MMO. They have devs of the original Fallout games, perhaps even one or two of them were there back at Fallout's first inception. I don't know.

This is patently false.

ALL of the primary developers of the original Fallout games now work at Obsidian Games, the people who are making the game Fallout: New Vegas, which is a brand new game using the Fallout 3 engine that is due this fall.

The ONLY person who had ANYTHING to do with Fallout that is still at Interplay, is in fact, the person who ran it into the ground, the CEO. He is the prime reason why Interplay is a borderline insolvent company, and why they no longer own the rights to Fallout.

I can, without a doubt, say that the MMO that will come from Interplay will be absolute, unpolished, money grubbing garbage. I would MUCH rather Bethesda make it.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440
    Originally posted by LordOfTime

This is patently false.

ALL of the primary developers of the original Fallout games now work at Obsidian Games, the people who are making the game Fallout: New Vegas, which is a brand new game using the Fallout 3 engine that is due this fall.

The ONLY person who had ANYTHING to do with Fallout that is still at Interplay, is in fact, the person who ran it into the ground, the CEO. He is the prime reason why Interplay is a borderline insolvent company, and why they no longer own the rights to Fallout.

I can, without a doubt, say that the MMO that will come from Interplay will be absolute, unpolished, money grubbing garbage. I would MUCH rather Bethesda make it.

That's a strong point, do we really need another game that promises a lot but doesn't have funding to even get half of that done and end up releasing a half finished buggy game? Also if i remember correctly, interplay had barely developed the game and were doing it very slowly thus the reason of the case.

Originally posted by LordOfTime

This is patently false.

ALL of the primary developers of the original Fallout games now work at Obsidian Games, the people who are making the game Fallout: New Vegas, which is a brand new game using the Gamebryo engine that is due this fall.

Fixed it because it was bothering me.

And how is it false? All news sources I've seen have told me that Interplay has devs of the original Fallout games employed and working on the Fallout MMO.

Taken from here:

Project: V13 has been under development at Interplay since November 2007 by some of the original Fallout® creators. Masthead joined the project in early 2009 and development continues under Interplay’s direction and control. Project: V13 will utilize the proprietary tools and MMOG technology Masthead developed for its “Earthrise” project.

• Joker2240Joker2240 Member Posts: 664

Yeah they got all the original devs back working on the V13 MMO. So hopefully we get REALLY great lore! 

Originally posted by Joker2240

Yeah they got all the original devs back working on the V13 MMO. So hopefully we get REALLY great lore! 

No not all. They're split between V13 and New Vegas. Point is, they're not all in one place or retired.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Any expectation that a Fallout MMO would resemble the original Fallout games at all is...unreasonable at best.

Having the original lead designer ensures a good first step, but the game is still going to be completely different from what anyone enjoyed about Fallout 1/2, if for no other reason than turning it into an MMO.

I'm not a huge fan of Bethesda's inventory management games, but they're a solid company overall and would make a good Fallout MMO.  But that's irrelevant because they're doing their MMO, and Interplay is doing Fallout.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• dannydeucedannydeuce Member Posts: 310

Truth be told I never played Fallout 1 or 2 but I enjoyed 3 a lot.  I love the game in almost every aspect it's probably 1 of my top 10 games of all time.  With that said I am obviously biased, therefor my opinion is somewhat mute.  On the contrary, when a gaming company makes a game that I love and the general population love based on sheer ratings, reviews, and awards...it's a good thing.  So, in my biased opinion, I'd go Bethesda.

Originally posted by dannydeuce

Truth be told I never played Fallout 1 or 2 but I enjoyed 3 a lot.  I love the game in almost every aspect it's probably 1 of my top 10 games of all time.  With that said I am obviously biased, therefor my opinion is somewhat mute.  On the contrary, when a gaming company makes a game that I love and the general population love based on sheer ratings, reviews, and awards...it's a good thing.  So, in my biased opinion, I'd go Bethesda.

No problem, bro. I'm just a grumpy longtime Fallout fan. =D

In any case, I do think this opinion is valid, though I stand by with the opinion that awards mean nothing because Inglorious Basterds is getting a few awards and, as a whole, it was one of the worst movies I've seen recently. It had its moments but they were few and far between.

Majority rule...I can't argue with that one...not unless it's WoW or Halo 3...

• onetruthonetruth Member Posts: 100

I would prefer neither company (nor any other company) make a Fallout mmo.

The original Fallout is probably the best game I've ever played, and I really don't want to see the IP dragged through the mmo toilet and turned into a bunch of fedex/pvp bullshit that I have to share with legions of wtfpewpewroflcopter pilots.

MMOs are all the same silly game, and Fallout was something truly original that doesn't need to be defiled and deformed into an mmo.

• krowxxviikrowxxvii Member Posts: 177

Interplay all the way! I'm not a big fan of Bethesda games.

You can't use the tools if you don't know they exist...
    http://www.ic3.gov - Internet Crime Complaint Center - Report cyber crimes to the FBI.

http://www.spamcop.net - SpamCop.net - Report spam and scam emails.

http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/ - Network Solutions WHOIS - Investigate and reveal suspcious websites.