Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it worth it to start now?

2»

Comments

• srpssrps Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Originally posted by Deestroy

Originally posted by Umbral

Originally posted by ozerinx

Basically curious where the game is heading was thinking about starting... a few of my friends play since release but not sure if the game is going to die like after FF14 , Secret World, and Star war release=/

Yes.

If you enjoy a large amount of good PvE for small groups, solo and larger groups World of Warcraft and Everquest 2 still are the best options around there. LotRo could be one of them but the "group" content is not developed as in WoW and EQ2.

Final Fantasy 14, Guild Wars 2 and the future of AION will be probably very expressive, nothing is certain for Secret World and SW:TOK , but the success of  these games will not "kill" WoW and even Everquest2.

You will start fresh so most of the criticism here will not affect you as it is based on personal experiences and comparison between the past and the present, usually the past is always brighter.

I know a couple of people that had their account hacked (in WoW and AION), all of them recovered everything withing a couple of days, but it is always good to be careful about internet and security.

World of Warcraft, Guild Wars and Everquest 2 are huge games these days, they have nice and bad people within their communities like every other game, but in my opinion, they still are the best options in the market for a newer gamer. Aion will probably be with them in the near future, just like Guild Wars 2 and FF14.

Yeh wow wont die, just in my opinion if I was just starting Out I would like a fresh start. It is easier to start a new game when everyone else is just as confused as you are, plus you get the benefit of claiming old school rights ( raises hand).

There are a few other ones that remain stable throughout time. Asherons call will probably not die for quite some time, and if you like pvp then man thats your choice, but its graphically not pretty being as old as it is. DOAC is the KING of rvr.. actually they created RVR, but its a bit older and with only 50k players you wont see alot of people til you max out really, plus they never figured out the fine art of mouse follow. Final fantasy and LOTR and great for pure end game raiding and probably are not going anywhere either, and Mines of Moria is pretty sweet, much better raid content than WOW has currently. I would tell you to just play that but they don't have pvp, and you cant play the bad guys, boo.

Lineage 2 is also not going anywhere, and looks better than wow by a long shot, the bad part is your going to have to grind grind grind on that game and you pay in spades for everything, stat loss, items loss, people kicking your ass. Not for the meek.

I agree with the majority of your post, but I need to point out that Lineage 2 is a point and clicker.

Personally, after playing a game like WoW (my first MMO non point-and-click), I seriously cannot ever play a point-and-clicker again. It's really awkward, losing all the freedom. I played L2 and enjoyed it, but the only thing I truly miss from there is the castle raids nowadays. 

• StevieHmselfStevieHmself Member Posts: 134

no u will never catch up. 

Playing EVE
    Played Darkfall, Played Wow,

• shhwolf17shhwolf17 Member Posts: 146

I agree with the above, once you play a game that is so involved with WASD and etc, its just incredibly hard to play point-click games and usually once you try those kind of games, you would feel like they are suddenly extremely underdeveloped even though they could be one of the best games out there, the WASD makes a game extremely realistic and easier in PVP etc

• PheacePheace Member Posts: 2,408

'There is no way with most computers running Norton, half if not all of us running some free anti Virus, not to mention most of use behind a firewall with anti spyware keylogger software. That all those accounts were personally attacked by their own hacker. I mean you really believe that there is a hacker army out there looking for us one by one, or would they just hack battlenet AGAIN. Get real.'

Haha, is this guy for real? Not only do we know there's a lot of hackers and phishers out there, more importantly, what we know is there are whole armies of *idiots* who are dumb enough to go to dubious websites with unprotected browsers/systems, or even more foolishly clicking on links in 'official' emails they get warning them that they were just banned and they need to log in NOWNOWNOW through this link to make sure they don't permanently stay banned.

The threads on the support forums are simple proof of this, and those are the ones who actually come out for what they are doing, none of the one who legitimately got banned for being dumb enough to use dubious services to bot, sell gold, buy gold etc etc.

And no, again, Norton or whatever is *not* sufficient security. Why do you think there's regular security updates for every AV program out there and why diff programs get different numbers of results? It's not like they're catching all these security risks and fix them *before* people use them.

And this is still completely ignoring the real life factor, the one sitting behind the screen, keeping his passwords on a piece of paper attached to the screen when a group of friends come by, or 'little brother' who plays and shares the info or loots the account himself, or even dumber the ones who share accounts with guildies.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

I advise to wait for the Cataclysm expansion. Many things will probably be relatively similar to what they are now, but they are changing a lot of the world and a bunch of other stuff, including two new races. Its alot of fun to start (over) when many other players are doing the same thing. Starting now could be frustrating as many things may change with the expansion and make all your hard work meaningless.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• ozerinxozerinx Member UncommonPosts: 200

thanks for all the advice. I will probably wait and see how my friends are liking it after Catalysm which I personally think they are going to hate it. I don't really have much experience with WoW, but I have been keeping up with most big MMORPGs updates and changes.

As to playing Everquest 2, I would play it but most of my friends play WoW or Aion and after chinese version of Aion I was kind of done with it. Still prefer Lineage 2 more than Aion even though Aion's graphics blows it away.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by ozerinx

thanks for all the advice. I will probably wait and see how my friends are liking it after Catalysm which I personally think they are going to hate it. I don't really have much experience with WoW, but I have been keeping up with most big MMORPGs updates and changes.
    As to playing Everquest 2, I would play it but most of my friends play WoW or Aion and after chinese version of Aion I was kind of done with it. Still prefer Lineage 2 more than Aion even though Aion's graphics blows it away.

Personally, there is no time like the present, if your friends are already in WoW, there is no good reason for you not to join them, levelling is neither difficult, nor lengthy, and with cataclysm not due for release until at least christmas ? do you really want to wait for almost a year!

• ozerinxozerinx Member UncommonPosts: 200

oh i thought it was going to release earlier hmm.. this might change my mind then lol...

Are there any ways to get all 3 games in one set... I used to have BC+ original WoW.. but i forgot my account and now the battlenet login stuff screw me over completely because I can't remeber my information...

• onetruthonetruth Member Posts: 100

Originally posted by onetruth

Originally posted by onetruth

Originally posted by Sortis

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/3370013/Warning-to-WOW-Players-Compromised-Accounts.html#3370013

Accounts are being hacked daily and blizzard is doing nothing to stop it...other than delete the accounts of the unfortunates who got hacked and then tell them to "Buy a new account and pray to whatever god you serve it doesnt happen again". No thats not a direct quote but its pretty much what they told me in so many words. Enjoy the wonderful world of hackcraft.

Blizzard isn't responsible for stopping it, the end user is.

If you left your keys in the ignition of your car and the door unlocked, are you going to blame BMW when you find out your ride's been stolen?

People are responsible for securing their own computers and their online business.  If they can't be bothered to educate themselves and take (very easy) steps to safeguard their online activities then they can pay the price and get hacked.  Frankly, the internet was much more fun when it was populated by nerds and the tech-savvy as opposed to Facebook moms and grandpa. Good riddance.

For someone who doesn't know anything about the history of Battlenet laying it all on other players sounds easy.

But there has been more than one instance of Battlenet itself being hacked, in late 2001 2002  they hacked the main server soo bad they had to do 2 weeks worth of rollbacks. in 2008 about the time they forced everyone to switch over, they had just implemented NEW Battlenet code. I know the difference between normal levels of hacked accounts and the BS we have going on now. There is no way with most computers running Norton, half if not all of us running some free anti Virus, not to mention most of use behind a firewall with anti spyware keylogger software. That all those accounts were personally attacked by their own hacker. I mean you really  believe that there is a hacker army out there looking for us one by one, or would they just hack battlenet AGAIN. Get real.

Look I live with a Server Network Expert, I can tell you for a fact that Battlenet is shit.

Lol, ok.

So Battle.net is shit and Norton provides effective protection.  Uh huh.

Better consult with your 'Server Network Expert' again.  Your post is full of the type of computer ignorance that allows virus and malware writers to be successful.

People that get hacked are doing something they shouldn't be doing (or not doing something, take your pick).  Do some research or pay a professional to educate you.  There's no reason to ever get hacked.

I'm not talking about speculation I am referring to the FACT that Battlenet has been hacked numerous times and its well documented. So no you dont HAVE to have been hacked, after all why would they hack you if they already had your battlenet information. The fact that people are not being hacked and it is a Blizzard security problem, Was sort of my point in the first place. The current crop of hacked accounts is simply too much to be explained by typical fake email and keyloggers.

What your spouting is typical Blizzard PR to cover their ass, but honestly you wont meet a single person still playing who can HONESTLY say they have not heard about an account being hacked in the last week. So forgive me if i Doubt Blizzards honestly on the issue.

Honestly quit trying to turn this into a QQ fest, an honest opinion on why not to play now includes the gaping security holes it has now. To not see it you have to stick you head in the sand. If blizzard is powerless against Chinese gold sellers creating corpse grafiti in Org, node hackers walking on air and running under mountains in WG, then what the hell is stopping them from doing even more damage. I'm just being objective.

Nah, I'm not spouting Blizzard PR at all.  In fact I really don't care for their games and wouldn't recommend them to anyone.  My point was that I've been playing online for twenty years and have never, ever, had my systems compromised (and yes I played on Battle.net when Diablo II was the latest and greatest).

The reason why you're seeing so many account hackings in WoW, Aion, and other mass market games is because the number of online gamers is larger than ever before.  The vast majority of these people don't know or care about securing their own computer, just as most people don't know or care what makes their car work.  They just want it to work.

The point is that if you don't want to take responsibility for learning about computer security, and you don't want to pay someone to do it for you, then stfu.

The only 'QQing' here (god I hate that phrase) is from the ignorant folks who get hacked (or those defending their ignorance).

There are many reasons not to play WoW.  Account security isn't one of them.

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712

Not if you are looking for a good RPG experience.

If you are looking for a que lobby with random group dungeons, FPS style. Yea its easy to level and easy to get epic'd out, and you never have to leave Ironforge/Dalaran/Org.

This game has evolved beyond MMORPG status IMO, or maybe de-evolved... depending on your point of view. I personally enjoy a vibrant world where players interact, not a que lobby.