Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free Realms is Steeling My Bandwidth!

SWGmodAlphaSWGmodAlpha Member Posts: 126

I play SWG allot and my daughter wanted to check out free realms.

Well when she plays it my ping on my SWG connection goes from 120 to 1500 with 5% packetloss or higher.

As soon as the game is not running, everything goes back to normal.

For this reason, NO FREE REALMS in my house.  Wizard 101 does not doo this.

She has a PC that is less  than two years old with 2gig ram and 512vid ram.  Graphics and everything were fine but killed network activity for the rest of the users.

This game fails big time because of this.  More half arse coding by SOE.

IMHO

Comments

• tehikktehikk Member Posts: 497

K?

Thanks...?

:P

"The question that sometimes drives me hazy: Am I, or the others crazy?" - Albert Einstein

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

Well thats what you get for playing SWG after they ruined the game. You hath committed a grave sin for supporting them in their damnation of the original SWG.

• SWGmodAlphaSWGmodAlpha Member Posts: 126

Actually there is a technical reason that I fail to understand this site does not mention.

Free Realms is a constantly streaming game and thus sucks the life out of your bandwidth.

The Engineers at SOE seem to think that Internet2 is already available to everyone.

IMHO.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

No tech wizard here, but Free Realms is basically a browser game - you're receiving far more files than actually exist on your hard drive.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238
    Originally posted by GTwander

No tech wizard here, but Free Realms is basically a browser game - you're receiving far more files than actually exist on your hard drive.

But don't you have the option to pre-download all files? I don't know if OP selected it though, but if their file distribution isn't P2P based there's no reason for them to suck bandwidth from customers.

• ErythrocyteErythrocyte Member Posts: 103

Is FreeRealms one of those install as you play games?  If that's the case, you might just need to leave it on over night to let it get it's self downloaded.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

It has an install package, but there's barely any meat to it. When you log in to new areas you'll download packets fo about 4mb, and my guess is that it's mostly audio.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

Free Realms streams content onto your computer. So as you are playing the games data is being downloaded. There is no part where you pre-download everything like in Wizard 101.

After awhile once Free Realms has everything downloaded its bandwidth useage will drop by alot and your ping time will go back done.  You have to keep in mind Free Realms is about like playing World of Warcraft just without having to install the game before playing it.  So your still looking at 2-3 gigs worth of data that will have to be downloaded as she plays it. Once its been downloaded the only time / times it will have to re-download that same data will be when they make changes / additions / updates to the area. 

It's not as much half arse coding but more piss poor internet connections then anything else. A solid good internet connection will not have a ping increase when it reach's its upper bandwidth limits. 

I would recommend just limiting the bandwidth that her computer has access to. You could do this via your routers software and just put a fixed limit at like half of your total internet bandwidth. This way your connection is never reaching its saturation point and those you won't get a huge ping increase from her playing.

The ideal thing would be for SOE to program in a throttle into the game so that players could set the max speed that the game downloads information at. But I doubt that would happen mainly because it provides little benefit to them.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Originally posted by SWGmodAlpha

Well when she plays it my ping on my SWG connection goes from 120 to 1500 with 5% packetloss or higher.
    She has a PC that is less  than two years old with 2gig ram and 512vid ram.  Graphics and everything were fine but killed network activity for the rest of the users.
    IMHO

ya all mmo maker assume everybody will go onlive style.we wont lol we cant afford it i sure as hell cant

why you think i ve been saying for month this :

mmo need :64 bit and microsoft donnybrook

they go and stream the game over the net lol.onlive style gaming isnt the futur its too costly

espacially for market like china and all the other for them the futur of mmo is going to pass by

donnybrook

64 bit

so instead of sending 10 mb /sec of data with no donnybrook ,you ll be sending 500kb/sec with donnybrook

these are random numbers but you get the idea .if everything used donnybrook it would multiply network capacity like this

actual number 250 with donnybrook 1250 .this number is without lag or any other problem

so streaming game is dead before it started.cable industry want streaming of game to pass tho because it means selling bigger service !lol!i wont stream that for sur .donnybrook will be mainstream soon for every application

the name will probably change but the base idea will be the same

make mmo avail on dial up network.

Originally posted by EricDanie

Originally posted by GTwander

But don't you have the option to pre-download all files? I don't know if OP selected it though, but if their file distribution isn't P2P based there's no reason for them to suck bandwidth from customers.

No theres no pre-download all files option. The install package is just for the required files to get the game to run. Everything beyond that is downloaded as you play.  Thats the whole point of having a browser based game as you don't have to have all that data setting on your HD in order to play it. Otherwise they could have just released a single client and have people play through it like all other MMO's.

Originally posted by drbaltazar

Originally posted by SWGmodAlpha

IMHO

ya all mmo maker assume everybody will go onlive style.we wont lol we cant afford it i sure as hell cant

why you think i ve been saying for month this :

mmo need :64 bit and microsoft donnybrook

they go and stream the game over the net lol.onlive style gaming isnt the futur its too costly

espacially for market like china and all the other for them the futur of mmo is going to pass by

donnybrook

64 bit

so instead of sending 10 mb /sec of data with no donnybrook ,you ll be sending 500kb/sec with donnybrook

these are random numbers but you get the idea .if everything used donnybrook it would multiply network capacity like this

actual number 250 with donnybrook 1250 .this number is without lag or any other problem

so streaming game is dead before it started.cable industry want streaming of game to pass tho because it means selling bigger service !lol!i wont stream that for sur .donnybrook will be mainstream soon for every application

the name will probably change but the base idea will be the same

make mmo avail on dial up network.

Donnybrook is a joke and a insecure mess for online gaming. Thats why it will never come into full scale and be a standard.

You mention places like china and japan.. China and Japan do not even need Donnybrook since they have established quality networks within the countries. There connections are about 10x to 100x faster then our connections here within the US. It's not uncommon to have your own dedicated 100Mbps connection in Japan where here in the states your doing good to get a 6Mbps connection in most places with some cities offering 10Mpbs connections and some rare places offering 25Mbps connections.

No the issue isn't in compression or anything but is that we within the US and EU settle for Third rate connections at 10x the price. Until our ISP's get there heads out of the sand and put the money we pay them into improving there networks we will forever be stuck with issues like this. All the compression and trying to work around a problem will not fix the problem until you get in there and fix the real problem.

It's sad a place where the internet originiated has some of the lowest quality internet connections and speeds in the world. And to make the matters worse we get charge 10x the price for these cheap mostly unmaintained connections.

• SWGmodAlphaSWGmodAlpha Member Posts: 126
    Originally posted by Thomas2006

Donnybrook is a joke and a insecure mess for online gaming. Thats why it will never come into full scale and be a standard.
    You mention places like china and japan.. China and Japan do not even need Donnybrook since they have established quality networks within the countries. There connections are about 10x to 100x faster then our connections here within the US. It's not uncommon to have your own dedicated 100Mbps connection in Japan where here in the states your doing good to get a 6Mbps connection in most places with some cities offering 10Mpbs connections and some rare places offering 25Mbps connections.
    No the issue isn't in compression or anything but is that we within the US and EU settle for Third rate connections at 10x the price. Until our ISP's get there heads out of the sand and put the money we pay them into improving there networks we will forever be stuck with issues like this. All the compression and trying to work around a problem will not fix the problem until you get in there and fix the real problem.
    It's sad a place where the internet originiated has some of the lowest quality internet connections and speeds in the world. And to make the matters worse we get charge 10x the price for these cheap mostly unmaintained connections.

Well what can people expect when they let crooks into Washington DC that make sweet heart no compete laws for the benefit of the Telcos.  AT&T, Ma Bell, etc. etc. face zero competition in their areas and have paid off all the right people to keep it that way.

We do not live in a Democracy we live in a Captialist Republic and if you think they are not different forms of governing, then you need to do some home work.

Other countries have better networks than us cause most of the Asian contenent has be rewired over the last 20 years with up to date equipment.  Here in the great ol USA, telcos are running hardware that is 20 years old.

USA is a major failure in this area, like many others in the last 10 years.

I am sure as hell not going to make any special network settings or buy more bandwidth so that my child can play a Fail SOE game.

IMHO.

• DanagDanag Member UncommonPosts: 67

Odd...

My 2 boys and I play Free Realms together all the time, and we don't experience bandwidth issues. Three PCs all connected to Free Realms from the same home-network, via a cable-powered ISP.

We also do NetFlix, You Tube, Hulu, and countless other streaming media sources on the Media Center, all while they play. Never have any problems.

I can't see where it's a problem with Free Realms... :/

-
    Danag