Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I cancelled my preorder but can still play lol

MackehMackeh Member Posts: 164

I ordered my game from HMV, got into open beta, hated the game, cancelled my preorder 6 days ago.  Anyway i thought I would attempt a log in tonight and hey presto, I created a character and am playing the game, I have paid no fees and don't even own a copy :)  Great stuff Cryptic.  I assume on the 2nd I will not be allowed in tho.

Comments

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    Originally posted by Mackeh

I ordered my game from HMV, got into open beta, hated the game, cancelled my preorder 6 days ago.  Anyway i thought I would attempt a log in tonight and hey presto, I created a character and am playing the game, I have paid no fees and don't even own a copy :)  Great stuff Cryptic.  I assume on the 2nd I will not be allowed in tho.

Well seeing as how the head start is tied to your preorder key that you already used to get into open beta. It only makes sense that you would also get access to the head start. Otherwise how would they give preorders headstart access? Every MMO that has offered a headstart uses the same exact setup. Your headstart is tied to your preorder key. 

Since there is no way to tell if a preorder key has been canceled or not there is nothing they can do about it.  But once the game goes live you will lose access to the game once the grace period is done and it requires you to put in a box cdkey. Nothing new here and its not like Cryptic dropped the ball or anything. Every MMO with headstarts have operated this way.

• FatGamerFatGamer Member UncommonPosts: 122
    Originally posted by Thomas2006

Well seeing as how the head start is tied to your preorder key that you already used to get into open beta. It only makes sense that you would also get access to the head start. Otherwise how would they give preorders headstart access? Every MMO that has offered a headstart uses the same exact setup. Your headstart is tied to your preorder key. 

Since there is no way to tell if a preorder key has been canceled or not there is nothing they can do about it.  But once the game goes live you will lose access to the game once the grace period is done and it requires you to put in a box cdkey. Nothing new here and its not like Cryptic dropped the ball or anything. Every MMO with headstarts have operated this way.

With the exception of "Aion". The moment I cancelled my amazon pre-order - I was banned. 

The Adventures of Fat Gamer - http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/FatGamer

• MackehMackeh Member Posts: 164

Ah right, thx for the heads up, I thought I was teh uber haxxor using jedi mind tricks on cryptic :(

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

What I find funny is that you attempted to play it after you canceled.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

Am not playing it, I made a char, did the tutorial and then quit.  I was just wondering what would happen if I tried to log in, would I get DC, would I get an info screen telling me to buy time, would I get a screen asking for my key....I never expected to actually get in the game.

One thing I can be sure of, I won't be logging back in the game :)

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

Am not playing it, I made a char, did the tutorial and then quit.  I was just wondering what would happen if I tried to log in, would I get DC, would I get an info screen telling me to buy time, would I get a screen asking for my key....I never expected to actually get in the game.
    One thing I can be sure of, I won't be logging back in the game :)

First you said you were playing it, now you say you aren't???

Making a player and doing the tutorial would constitute "playing" the game.  So you did play it although you may not currently be playing it.

It's a little more difficult to crawfish on your story when it's at the top of the page for everyone to see.

Still....LOL!

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• AstralglideAstralglide Member UncommonPosts: 686

What did you hate about it?

A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055
    Originally posted by Astralglide

The OP is probably too busy not playing the game again to respond. 

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678
    Originally posted by parrotpholk

Originally posted by ktanner3

This is what I was thinking. If you hated it then why the hell are you playing right now? Seems a bit odd to me unless you are one that likes talking trash in chat to get a rise.

Yeah, because no one ever tries things out just for the sake of trying them out.  Oh wait...plenty of people do that.  Maybe you guys find it odd, but it isn't really that strange.

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    Originally posted by FatGamer

Originally posted by Thomas2006

With the exception of "Aion". The moment I cancelled my amazon pre-order - I was banned. 

I canceled my Aion pre-order and it didn't cancel my account access. So I don't know what happen to you there. But its VERY rare for the retail shops to communicate with the producing company to cancel keys based on canceled orders. I say that because it requires time being taken out of both the retailer and the producing company and almost all of them would rather just right it off then waste the man power and money to track every key.

A good portion of pre-orders are canceled before they are ever completed. But both the retailers and producing companys don't like to mention it because regardless if a pre-order is canceled or not its something they can use as a advertising tool.  "1 Million pre-orders placed." Because even if it was canceled it can still be counted as a placed pre-order. 

• TheAestheteTheAesthete Member Posts: 264

Yeah, there were a lot of cancelled preorders in Champions headstart, too. One guy was so excited about it he spent twenty minutes talking about it in zone chat. I logged off, went out for dinner and a drink with some friends, logged back on, and the same guy was still there, bragging about how he'd cancelled his preorder but could still play. I do cherish my ability to go outside. I don't always take advantage of it, but there are people who remind me that it's nice to have the option.

Well tbh the ship combat is fun for an hour or two but then it gets old.  The ground combat is boring, infact it's almost a chore doing it.

The quests are basically all the same, go here, kill 30 ships, scan planet, beam down, click flashy things, beam out repeat, repeat, repeat.

Sector space is a chess board with signposts and you can't even beam down to all the planets.  Thats a blessing though as the ones you can beam down too are rectangular, flat and devoid of any kind of life bar the enemy factions that you have to kill for your quest.  The whole game is rushed out the door, buggy and boring, if it were not for the ST theme I doubt if anyone would actually play it. 

The worst thing for me though is the instancing, warp to planet --> loading screen --> beam to planet ---> loading screen --> beam off planet --> loading screen --> leave sector --> loading screen --> warp to space station --> loading screen --> beam to space station --> loading screen --> walk through a freaking door on space station ---> loading screen --> enter turbo lift and yeas, it's another loading screen.  The game is tiny, it's just a mass of little mini games in instances, it's not really an mmo, it's shit.

• kainazzokainazzo Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Originally posted by ktanner3

It's not that weird.  I did the exact same thing.  It was still installed on my computer when headstart began so I just punched in my user name and password out of curiosity.   Why is that funny, or why are you having a hard time wrapping your mind around that?  Seems fairly straight forward.

• wolfingwolfing Member UncommonPosts: 149

Well tbh the ship combat is fun for an hour or two but then it gets old.  The ground combat is boring, infact it's almost a chore doing it.

The quests are basically all the same, go here, kill 30 ships, scan planet, beam down, click flashy things, beam out repeat, repeat, repeat.

Sector space is a chess board with signposts and you can't even beam down to all the planets.  Thats a blessing though as the ones you can beam down too are rectangular, flat and devoid of any kind of life bar the enemy factions that you have to kill for your quest.  The whole game is rushed out the door, buggy and boring, if it were not for the ST theme I doubt if anyone would actually play it. 

The worst thing for me though is the instancing, warp to planet --> loading screen --> beam to planet ---> loading screen --> beam off planet --> loading screen --> leave sector --> loading screen --> warp to space station --> loading screen --> beam to space station --> loading screen --> walk through a freaking door on space station ---> loading screen --> enter turbo lift and yeas, it's another loading screen.  The game is tiny, it's just a mass of little mini games in instances, it's not really an mmo, it's shit.

That's because originally, this game was supposed to release multi-platform with the Xbox 360s limited capabilities. They eventually dropped the multi-platform (think they couldn't work out Microsoft's licensing requirements and fees), but the mini-zone design remained, they didn't have time to redesign stuff.