Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures: Wolf Mount Revealed

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

The team at Funcom has put together this developer journal which reveals new details on the wolf mount, available in the upcoming Age of Conan expansion Rise of the Godslayer.

Rise of the Godslayer introduces some new mounts to the Age of Conan universe. Funcom is proud to announce the fearsome wolf mount, in addition to the previously revealed tiger mount as well as the Hyrkanian horse. The wolf and tiger mount follow an all new series of epic quests where the player will not simply be given the mount - they must capture it as a cub and hand raise it in order to one day ride these magnificent beasts. The quests to tame these beasts will see the players traverse several regions to train the cub and gather supplies.

"Some of the thinking behind this new system is that players will create a connection with their new mount," says Joel Bylos, Lead Designer on the Rise of the Godslayer expansion. "Raising the mount from a cub and teaching it how to hunt, track and fight is a long process, and by the time players have proven themselves worthy of riding it a bond has been created. When you see players riding a tiger or a wolf you'll know that it is not just a right to do so, it's an earned privilege."

Read Wolf Mount Revealed.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• ProsonProson Member UncommonPosts: 544

I think the wolf mount i saw as concept art once was much cooler, but this one is cool too, dont play aoc anymore though.

But i do miss all the cool mounts and fatality's from AoC

Currently Playing Path of Exile

• FrobnerFrobner Member Posts: 649

I dont remember Conan ever riding a wolf or a tiger.  But who cares really.  Funcom has already pissed all over the IP.

Still waiting for a decent MMO to create cool guild mounts that have custom features for the entire guild.  Like are seen in tabards and cloaks in many games.

• DarkjinxterDarkjinxter Member Posts: 174

Wait a minute....There's no mention of rearing your wolf or tiger pet not as a mount, but as a combatant pet. Has Funcom renaged on this option???

[Disclaimer : I play AoC mainly because I am a fan of RE Howard's Conan stories, and the excellent community that exists on the server Crom]

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Darkjinxter

Wait a minute....There's no mention of rearing your wolf or tiger pet not as a mount, but as a combatant pet. Has Funcom renaged on this option???
    [Disclaimer : I play AoC mainly because I am a fan of RE Howard's Conan stories, and the excellent community that exists on the server Crom]

It said you can train it to fight and hunt.

I like their idea behind the taming process, looks like they took a little creative influence from from SWG on that one. I saw nothing to complain about in that write up, IMO anyway.

As for it fitting the lore, I really don't care, there are already mammoths in the game as mounts, conan didn't ride one of those either that I recall.

I see nothing wrong with a little creative liberty when creating a fantasy game, whether it be high or low fantasy. Besides it's just a mount/pet. It's not like they moved conan into the present day, or made a hyborian theme about butterflies and lollipops.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ProsonProson Member UncommonPosts: 544
    Originally posted by Frobner

I dont remember Conan ever riding a wolf or a tiger.  But who cares really.  Funcom has already pissed all over the IP.
    Still waiting for a decent MMO to create cool guild mounts that have custom features for the entire guild.  Like are seen in tabards and cloaks in many games.

Well, ur not playing as conan. Your just some warrior in the conan world. im sure there was people in hyboria riding tigers and wolf (i have no idea actually, just assuming. dont know the conan lore well)

Currently Playing Path of Exile

• The wolf looks awesome I think. Much different than I thought it might when we saw the tigers.

• FrobnerFrobner Member Posts: 649
    Originally posted by Proson

Originally posted by Frobner

Well, ur not playing as conan. Your just some warrior in the conan world. im sure there was people in hyboria riding tigers and wolf (i have no idea actually, just assuming. dont know the conan lore well)

Yes - they ARE breaking the lore.  Howard builds his stories on Historical Fiction (People are people and do what normal people do ) They could add dwarfs or elfs into the game and they wouldn't be breaking more Lore.  It is incredible to see how IP is ruined in a split second for extra cash.  

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

I dont like the shape of the head of the wolf.

It does not show pride, might, strength its only evil mean - from back to the days when blizzard changed the appearance of the mounts of the higher tier to mean ugly beings i dont understand the motivation behind such artwork...and why dont give people a choice?

The Tiger looks good as far as the screenshots can tell.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Blutmaul

It does not show pride, might, strength its only evil mean - from back to the days when blizzard changed the appearance of the mounts of the higher tier to mean ugly beings i dont understand the motivation behind such artwork...and why dont give people a choice?

It's a game based on Conan which is set in a very brutal (evil) world where it's kill or be killed, all in pursuit of power. That's the motivation behind the artwork and the grittiness of the world. There's plenty of choice, if you don't want a scary looking wolf, get a horse, mammoth or tiger, those are choices.

Maybe if you ask nicely, they'll add a nice fluffy bunny mount for you.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• narakuunarakuu Member Posts: 348
    Originally posted by Malickie

It's a game based on Conan which is set in a very brutal (evil) world where it's kill or be killed, all in pursuit of power. That's the motivation behind the artwork and the grittiness of the world. There's plenty of choice, if you don't want a scary looking wolf, get a horse, mammoth or tiger, those are choices.

I would ask nicely if they would give me that, mounting a fluffy bunny that hops forward while you're holding onto its ears is just a recipe for awesome.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

My first thought upon reading the title of the article was along the lines of "big deal", but after reading up on the system used it seems like it should be a welcome addition for AOC players though it reminds me a bit of some of the old WOW epic mount quests just elaborated on and as such the thought of it kind of gives me a headache but I do know for sure some of you guys will have fun playing it.  Certainly a step in the right direction for FC.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• OutlandrOutlandr Member Posts: 1

OK enough with the bad mouthing the game. FUNCOM. your doing a great job with the game. I play it like a religion. just one question:Will we ever see the rhino mount again? (I really want one).

• AxeionAxeion Member UncommonPosts: 418

Was a little worried they would look like elfquest wolf mounts.Thats not to bad tho.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." — Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant (1933)

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Nah, i am not looking for a cute pet but a formidable, powerfull, impressive one...

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• PoopyStuffPoopyStuff Member Posts: 297

"[Disclaimer : I play AoC mainly because I am a fan of RE Howard's Conan stories, and the excellent community that exists on the server Crom"

I just about fell out of my chair when I read this.

that server community sucked so much balls I don't even know where to begin

• CultOfXtcCultOfXtc Member Posts: 378
    Originally posted by PoopyStuff

"[Disclaimer : I play AoC mainly because I am a fan of RE Howard's Conan stories, and the excellent community that exists on the server Crom"

I just about fell out of my chair when I read this.

that server community sucked so much balls I don't even know where to begin

I would agree with this.  The community IS getting lots better generally speaking.  Of course the most vocal "haters" are the PVP crowd and PVP has been lacking for a while.  However I expect this to change as apart from Shrines of Bori, PVP Towers, Guild Renown and Arenas as PVP content AND apparently is seems finally FC have sorted lag on the Test Server for Seiges!!!!

AoC does receive too much hate, but things are turning around as AoC is getting better and better.

THE SECRET WORLD - PAY ONCE PLAY FOREVER - Give it a go!

http://www.thesecretworld.com/buy/

OR PM ME FOR A BUDDY KEY (need your email address).

• PoopyStuffPoopyStuff Member Posts: 297

It's a RP server.

the amount of immersion on that server is about at 0%

• UmbralUmbral Member Posts: 1,051

Malickie, your answer was really unnecessary.

The tiger mount is very imponent and look like a tiger, this wolf look like a giant rat with terminal illness, it lost almost all the fur and I am under the impression the teeth are also falling... check the eyes, it is probably almost blind too... the smell must be horrid for sure.

See, I really like the work of Robert E. Howard and even with all the issues and the lack of depth in Age of Conan, I always thought they did a pretty good job in the art style and music, but this mount does not belong to the original lore... even with the fact it would be possible to giant wolves to exist in this lore, even with the possibility that some cultures (inside the original lore) used it as mount, a Wolf is a powerful image and the fact that they transformed a possible "big real wolf" into a giant rat with terminal illness just to look "bad ass" is, in my opinion, a bad move related to AoC's art style.

I have to agree with Blutmaul and a fluffy bunny mount has nothing to do with it.

The mount system seems to be interesting anyway.

edit- You mentioned that Conan never rided a mammoth, but it has perfect sense to display mammoth mounts inside Hyboria, this mutated evil rat-wolf as a mount is unnecessary, especially when they did it right with the tiger...

Sure, you can say a primitive wolf could look like that... well, with those eyes and mouth they could be "there" but probably dying.

• ChrystEmperoChrystEmpero Member Posts: 23

For me is very very beautiful !!!

The wolf is really pretty cool !!!

Age of Conan
    http://empiree.webs.com
    II..EMPIRE..II - Leader - Crom Server
    Chrystempero Chrystdemon Chrystmiss Chrystconq Chrystnecro
    http://empiree.webs.com

• BigMangoBigMango Member UncommonPosts: 1,821

The wolf looks like an ugly beast, it has a fugly head. I wouldn't want one.

Tiger looks good though.

• svarteryttarsvarteryttar Member Posts: 36
    Originally posted by PoopyStuff

It's a RP server.
    the amount of immersion on that server is about at 0%

Crom (if that is the one you are refering to) isnt a RP server its a PvE server, the biggest one in EU.

Played WoW for 3 years on Runetotem (chars: Ariman and Redsonja)
    Played AoC for 2 years on Crom (char: Kallisto) and Fury (char: Siratsia)
    Playing SWTOR on Tomb of Freedon Nadd

• FearGXFearGX Member Posts: 317

Looks like a unique ruthless wolf mount. The red really stands out.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Conan isn't the end all, be all of the IP!  If you ever read the comics (I have almost every one ^^) then you would know that there were people that rode tigers.  However, the wolf is new to me, but there were people that lived with the wolves.

As for how they look, they really fit in with the look of the Conan IP.  If you want glowing items and pretty mounts, then you're not talking about the Conan IP, it's supposed to be ugly, gritty, and brutal.

• Deadman87Deadman87 Member Posts: 253

The novels and the cartoons (which I grew up with) are pretty different at certain points, but weird mounts were aplenty. Entire armies of walking dead, or cities filled with vampires was the things I read about in the comics. How a "wolf mount" pisses all over the conan IP as Frobner said is BS. A conan mmorpg following a strictly realistic version of the novels would suck, whereas if they were to follow the comics a tad more it would be better. But it seems as if FC is on the track to make AoC a "fun" mmo as opposed to what was presented may 2008. I like this continuous progression.

It is preferable not to travel with a dead man.

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

Nice to see FC finally adding some new content. Hope it adds plenty of fun things to do for you all!

"I play Tera for the gameplay"