Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HoT.. the great new hope?

VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Well, here we are again, new year and new wannabe hopeful MMORPG to maybe rescue the genre...

Heres to hoping that they chase a niche market rather then the masses... 'Mass appeal' has been given more then enough chances to ruin this hobby and succeeded every friken time. Time to stop aiming for 11,000,000 people from ages 8-80... a realistic and sustainable profit can be made from a lot less, especially over years rather then months. There is room for integrity and imagination in a business plan, no matter what the greedy fools tell you.

Please, lets see a dev with a realistic budget and talent pool that is brave enough to devlop the game IT wants to make, and not one designed by committee by a forum full of cynical burned out whining sheeple.

This was the way the genre was forged and it really is the only way it will climb out of the swamp.

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by vesavius

Well, here we are again, new year and new wannabe hopeful MMORPG to maybe rescue the genre...
    Heres to hoping that they chase a niche market rather then the masses... 'Mass appeal' has been given more then enough chances to ruin this hobby and succeeded every friken time. Time to stop aiming for 11,000,000 people from ages 8-80... a realistic and sustainable profit can be made from a lot less, especially over years rather then months. There is room for integrity and imagination in a business plan, no matter what the greedy fools tell you.
    Please, lets see a dev with a realistic budget and talent pool that is brave enough to devlop the game IT wants to make, and not one designed by committee by a forum full of cynical burned out whining sheeple.
    This was the way the genre was forged and it really is the only way it will climb out of the swamp.

Their site doesn't really give a lot of info. Also, it seems they were having money issues then they weren't? But thatt seems like internet rumor and that and a dollar won't buy me a cup of coffee.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

This profit-over-time idea is sound, and I think it would be very interesting if people could invest in a specific MMO after it has been released. Not a company, just a particular game.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by vesavius

Their site doesn't really give a lot of info. Also, it seems they were having money issues then they weren't? But thatt seems like internet rumor and that and a dollar won't buy me a cup of coffee.

yeah I believe they have now a budget of 100 mill, though thats for three games... Now sure how much of that HoT is getting. Like you say, it's all rumour.

I get the feeling that Trion is as much as about developing game technology as the games themselves... that the games are just showcases, in the same way as Lucas used SW 1-3 to showcase his. Though lets hope they turn out somewhat better then those  :)

IF these games are really a tech showcase as much as anything else, I guess that will take the pressure off them to clone WoW, which would be a great thing.