Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Martial Character Types?

GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

Alot of your game sounds like it is very heavily magic oriented. Will it be possible to play a character which matches a traditional Warrior or Fighter arch-type from other games (i.e. uses no or very limited magical abilities) and would this sort of character be a "2nd class citizen" compared to one who focused on magic?

What are your design goals in terms of characters who choose to focus in different areas of study?

As a side note... After having read alot of your material...it reminds me a great deal of the writing style of a player I used to know in a text based game called Gemstone 3.

Comments

• JatarJatar Member UncommonPosts: 348

There are no character classes in Citadel of Sorcery.  Instead there are five Leagues:  Magic, Spirit, Shadow, Hero and Marksmen.  Players can choose to study Abilities from any league or combination of leagues.  This gives players the chance to make ANY kind of custom character class they want from pure warrior to pure wizard and many many others.  The choices are practically unlimited, or you can figure out the permutations of 1800 (approx.) Abilities and the fact that you can get any combination of them (given enough time).

In fact the possibilities are so huge that we decided to create a University that will help players who don't want to figure out what custom character they want to create and need some help.  Players who want to do their own choices are welcome to do so.

But the simple answer to your question is, if you want to make a warrior, make a warrior.  He will in no way be a second class citizen.  Warrior (or Heroes League) Abilities are every bit as powerful as magic, and quite necessary to our game.  In fact, like 'Fight Club', in CoS, everybody fights.  There will be no 'Tank' system of play that you see in many other MMO games.  The strategy you use in combat will have to vary from situation to situation.  The old 'Tank' system would be unusable against the A.I. we're giving your opponents and the varying tactics they will employ based off their intelligence and ability.

(As for Gemstone 3, I've never played it.)

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Originally posted by Jatar

There are no character classes in Citadel of Sorcery.  Instead there are five Leagues:  Magic, Spirit, Shadow, Hero and Marksmen.  Players can choose to study Abilities from any league or combination of leagues.  This gives players the chance to make ANY kind of custom character class they want from pure warrior to pure wizard and many many others.  The choices are practically unlimited, or you can figure out the permutations of 1800 (approx.) Abilities and the fact that you can get any combination of them (given enough time).
    In fact the possibilities are so huge that we decided to create a University that will help players who don't want to figure out what custom character they want to create and need some help.  Players who want to do their own choices are welcome to do so.
    But the simple answer to your question is, if you want to make a warrior, make a warrior.  He will in no way be a second class citizen.  Warrior (or Heroes League) Abilities are every bit as powerful as magic, and quite necessary to our game.  In fact, like 'Fight Club', in CoS, everybody fights.  There will be no 'Tank' system of play that you see in many other MMO games.  The strategy you use in combat will have to vary from situation to situation.  The old 'Tank' system would be unusable against the A.I. we're giving your opponents and the varying tactics they will employ based off their intelligence and ability.
    (As for Gemstone 3, I've never played it.)

So you are saying playing as a pure crafting character isn't really a viable play style, combat will be necessary for all players?

Just trying to get an idea where crafting fits into the COS world, so maybe thats a topic for another thread.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

So you are saying playing as a pure crafting character isn't really a viable play style, combat will be necessary for all players?
    Just trying to get an idea where crafting fits into the COS world, so maybe thats a topic for another thread.

As in many things, you have to forget everything about other MMOs when talking about Citadel of Sorcery.  Crafting is not like other MMO games in any comparable way.  There are no crafting classes, there are no classes at all.  There are no reagents, or elements of any kind to refine, there are no recipes, no forges, no looms, no place to stand around and make things.  This is because, like most everything, this game is different.  We did not set out to make a better WoW or EQ clone.  We set out to make a new kind of MMO.  The more you try to figure out how we do what you have seen before the more trouble you will have understanding this new game.

So, can you make things?  Yes and no.  You can take mundane objects and improve them, but this is not done through typical crafting or by players who are 'crafters'.  Everyone can make things, just like everyone can wear armor, or cast a spell, or shoot a bow, or poke someone with a sword.  There are no limitations on what players can choose to do within what is offered by this world. 

The method of 'crafting' an item, or more precisely, improving it in ways you want, is by questing.  The primary thrust of CoS is questing, and improving items is no different.  When you want to make your shield better, perhaps adding cold resistance, you would go on a quest to dip that shield in a grim spirits pool of liquid ice (or some such thing).  This will not be easy, and will involve an epic quest to achieve your goal, thus giving value to the improvement.   Or, you would go on a quest to obtain a special idol that can be embedded into your sword blade.  It is the obtaining of this item that allows you to add it to your sword, not standing around a forge pounding away endlessly.  You advance your story, your character, your equipment, pretty much everything in the game by questing.  If, after improving an item you wish to sell it, or give it to someone, that is up to you.  So there will be an economy of player improved items, but no Crafters in the old sense of that word.

And yes, combat skill is required for all players, though they will not need to use combat in all situations.  I suppose you could say that Ghandi is not possible in our game, though, like any pacifist, you could just stand there and let someone kill you and therefore, not use combat.  But, assuming you don't want to make a statement for pacifism and die for your beliefs, then you will fight.

Again, like the real world.  No matter what your profession, if someone wants to walk up to you and hit you with a baseball bat, they can.  If you want to defend yourself, then do so.  This is what we mean by everyone fights, because everyone can be attacked.

Edit: After reading what I posed I should note that this makes it sound like some crazy PVP world where people are hitting people with bats and things all the time.  There are areas patrolled and governed by various authorities that do not allow murder and mayhem, and are therefor places where you can be 'safe' from attack for the moment.  Also, as stated above, the primary element of CoS is player questing, and we are in no way a PVP game.  We do offer a gladiator coliseum that you can use to challenge other players (or groups, or guilds) to player vs. player combat, but this is not the same as calling a game PVP.

• PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682

Jatar,

I understand no game can be all things to all people, but just bear in mind that many people enjoy crafting in an MMO as an alternate thing to do. Sometimes you log on and you don't feel like grinding, whether it be mob-killing grinding or quest grinding. Variety is the spice of life, even a pixellated one.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

We were discussing this in another thread, and it seems almost as if CoS might be the first of what I was calling the MMO Adventure game, where adventuring was the primary focus, and as you noted here, advancing your gear involves going on an adventure rather than performing some routine mechanics.

Could be quite entertaining actually, will be looking forward to hearing more about it.

edit: Apologies for going off topic.......

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by PhelimReagh

Jatar,

I understand no game can be all things to all people, but just bear in mind that many people enjoy crafting in an MMO as an alternate thing to do. Sometimes you log on and you don't feel like grinding, whether it be mob-killing grinding or quest grinding. Variety is the spice of life, even a pixellated one.

I understand completely, PhelimReagh.   However, the issue is that we don't offer grinding either.  Again, it's hard for people to understand what they haven't played, but our game may use words that seem similar to you, like Quests, but that means something utterly different in CoS.  When I say Quest, I mean weeks of play in a world where you are the main character in a novel quality story.  not fetch me six bananas.  However, we also concede your point about the fact that sometimes players don't want a two week long epic quest.  But instead of typical crafting, we offer a whole range of new kinds of game play that are not as involved as our full quests.  We call these Adventures, and Crises, as well as Bounty Hunting, Monster trapping, Archeology, gambling, cards, mini games races... need I go on? 

• RenataRenata Member Posts: 9

I noticed that Archeology was listed.  Does that mean there will be digs?  Or do you just go out and try and find places to dig.  Are you supposed to find specific stuff?

• SandbaggerSandbagger Member Posts: 37

Originally posted by Renata

I noticed that Archeology was listed.  Does that mean there will be digs?  Or do you just go out and try and find places to dig.  Are you supposed to find specific stuff?

I can just picture an Indiana Jones type adventure!   I hope that's what they mean.  I'd love to go after the Eye of the Dragon, and have some hidden cult guarding the ancient ruins.  Fire up the grand adventure music!

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

I believe to improve or advance certain elements in game you need to discover lore/artifacts an thats where it comes in , may be wrong but I think it is a historical/age/lore element to the game may be wrong though.

Originally posted by Isane

I believe to improve or advance certain elements in game you need to discover lore/artifacts an thats where it comes in , may be wrong but I think it is a historical/age/lore element to the game may be wrong though.

Sorry for the slow response on this one, just noticed the question when 'Isane' replied.  Archeology is a type of quest in CoS, where you will be sent out to find a First or Third age artifact (see the Lore on our CoS website).  This may involve many kinds of things, including digs into ancient ruins, or finding the secret entrance in an old structure that leads to ancient tunnels or dungeons beneath, or tracking down tomb raiders to obtain what they stole, or... well, pretty much anything to do with an adventure that deals with an ancient artifact of unknown powers.  Get your whip and satchel, its time to follow the clues and trail to wherever they lead, but don't be surprised if your arch nemesis is also after that same artifact, and racing you to get there first.  Just remember:  Nothing is ever easy.