Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WTF is this about???

TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

I just launched Aion and I get this

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd127/sookster54/wtfaion.png

Should I be worried? I can't seem to delete those files. I closed the game as soon as I saw that.

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by sookster54

I just launched Aion and I get this
    http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd127/sookster54/wtfaion.png

Should I be worried? I can't seem to delete those files. I closed the game as soon as I saw that.

Depends on where you got the program.

If you got it through some 2nd party site then "yes". If you bought the game box or downloaded it from their site then most likely it's some sort of false positive.

I had recently installed Vampire: the masquerade from my original disks and got a trojan warning. Despite having played the game before and having no problems. Sometimes these things happen.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

I've had the game for 2+ weeks so far without any problems, got it off D2D, just today I got this warning.

• Damage99Damage99 Member UncommonPosts: 202

Wouldn't worry about it much.  Have had the game installed since release and got this a day or so ago too.  It's just something in the latest AVG giving a false-positive.

I found a thread about it on Aion forums, apparently several others are having the same problem. AVG probably got a new database which forgot to make Aion files exceptional, I'm going to dig deeper. I have the paid AVG version, not the free one (my laptop has the free one).

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

Themida is software used to prevent cracking. It is used by legit companies as well as illegit ones too, unfortunatly. If there have been no changes to your product i would say that it's a false positive. Here is a thread on Aion Source:

www.aionsource.com/forum/technical-discussion/46821-virus-identified-win32-themida.html

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• GreenLanternFanGreenLanternFan Member Posts: 374
    Originally posted by Kuraphimaru

It's a false positive. AVG is kinda known for that. Then again, Avast that I use also likes to throw them around for a bit with every 2nd or 3rd update.

ESET Nod FTW!

If you haven't heard of ESET, I highly recommend you check them out. By far the best AV/Security software out there, especially for gamers.

Your fail comment, failed.

• Damage99Damage99 Member UncommonPosts: 202
    Originally posted by MrcdesOwnr

It's a false positive. AVG is kinda known for that. Then again, Avast that I use also likes to throw them around for a bit with every 2nd or 3rd update.

ESET Nod FTW!

If you haven't heard of ESET, I highly recommend you check them out. By far the best AV/Security software out there, especially for gamers.

Hmm.  Gotta renew it every 2 years.  I'll stick with AVG and a little common sense protection.

Originally posted by Damage99

ESET Nod FTW!

Hmm.  Gotta renew it every 2 years.  I'll stick with AVG and a little common sense protection.

You also forgot to add in: more false positives, slower scans, poor performance, and a memory hog.

Sometimes you get what you pay for and when it comes to the protection and performance of something that cost the typical gamer over $1000, I find it absurd that people refuse to pay for a top notch AV/Security Program.

In addition if you have sensitive data that you will need to recover when/if you do get infected, I guarantee you will pay considerably more for removal or data retrieval then you would have to stay properly protected.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

You also forgot to add in: more false positives, slower scans, poor performance, and a memory hog.

Sometimes you get what you pay for and when it comes to the protection and performance of something that cost the typical gamer over $1000, I find it absurd that people refuse to pay for a top notch AV/Security Program.

In addition if you have sensitive data that you will need to recover when/if you do get infected, I guarantee you will pay considerably more for removal or data retrieval then you would have to stay properly protected.

I couldn't agree more.

I personally wouldn't recommend AVG to anyone I know, it is one of the poorest pieces of software I have ever encountered. Drop some cash and pickup a proper AV app or Security Suite, it is worth every penny.

Or continue to use AVG and experience issues similar to the OP, at the very least. In the end, the choice is yours.

• TdogSkalTdogSkal Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

ESET Nod FTW!

I find it funny that people place so much trust in AV/Secruity programs.  Even the best ones on the market are not 100% safe.  Spyware is the biggest issue for online gameers not viruses and no secruity program or AV program does a great job with spyware yet due to how often spyware changes and adapts.

Working in the IT industry for 10 years like me will teach you that no AV/Secruity program will keep you 100% safe.  Common sense is really the only way to keep your computer/laptop working correctly.  Viruses creaters know how AV programs work and have may ways around them. 

I like to tell people that the virus/anti virus game is like a Tom and Jerry.  Tom sometimes catches Jerry but in the end Jerry wins.

Sooner or Later

Originally posted by TdogSkal

ESET Nod FTW!

I find it funny that people place so much trust in AV/Secruity programs.  Even the best ones on the market are not 100% safe.  Spyware is the biggest issue for online gameers not viruses and no secruity program or AV program does a great job with spyware yet due to how often spyware changes and adapts.

Working in the IT industry for 10 years like me will teach you that no AV/Secruity program will keep you 100% safe.  Common sense is really the only way to keep your computer/laptop working correctly.  Viruses creaters know how AV programs work and have may ways around them. 

I like to tell people that the virus/anti virus game is like a Tom and Jerry.  Tom sometimes catches Jerry but in the end Jerry wins.

Huh?  Well then, I'm glad you're not working for me. That's a horrible analogy and a great way to mislead people.

This is an analogy you should adopt that would be more beneficial for those that don't know:

If you sleep with people you do not know, you will undoubtedly increase your chances of contracting an STD over those that do not. However, if you are in fact going to sleep with strangers, wearing a condom is a better alternative than not wearing one.

Furthermore, I'm guessing you have no clue, nor have ever tried ESET. I ran a gaming/lan center with 20 computers running for the majority of the day, 6 days a week, all using ESET Smart Security and never had a problem with any viruses, spyware, or even 1 person complaining that their account was hijacked while/from gaming in my store.

Since then, I've moved on to building/repairing PCs and will continue to recommend ESET Nod to my clients.

• TdogSkalTdogSkal Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

ESET Nod FTW!

Huh?  Well then, I'm glad you're not working for me. That's a horrible analogy and a great way to mislead people.

This is an analogy you should adopt that would be more beneficial for those that don't know:

If you sleep with people you do not know, you will undoubtedly increase your chances of contracting an STD over those that do not. However, if you are in fact going to sleep with strangers, wearing a condom is a better alternative than not wearing one.

Furthermore, I'm guessing you have no clue, nor have ever tried ESET. I ran a gaming/lan center with 20 computers running for the majority of the day, 6 days a week, all using ESET Smart Security and never had a problem with any viruses, spyware, or even 1 person complaining that their account was hijacked while/from gaming in my store.

Since then, I've moved on to building/repairing PCs and will continue to recommend ESET Nod to my clients.

I am not saying that ESET is not a good product or that people should not have AV programs on their computer but acting like having an AV program will keep you safe 100% of the time is just plain crazy.  I work for a medium size business, we run a lot of secruity but it can only do so much.   We also run a NAC solution which is great but we still get hit with viruses from time to time due to peoples lack of common sense.

My analogy works fine.  If jerry wants to win, he is going to win.  Why do you think that all AV program update on a near daily bases?  Simple.  Virus Creators create new ways around AV programs each day and the AV companies have to play catch up.  Same  with Tom and Jerry.  Tom may catch Jerry one day and not the next.  Same with AV programs, it may catch the virus 9 out of 10times but that one time the virus will beat the scanner and we can both agree that one time can ruin your whole day.

Secruity is a hell of alot more then just having up to date AV programs.  It has alot to with teach people what to do and what not to do and hoping people use common sense.

Keep recommending any product that you feel works well but also teach your customers the do's and don'ts.  That will take them much further then a good AV program.

Sooner or Later

ESET Nod FTW!

I am not saying that ESET is not a good product or that people should not have AV programs on their computer but acting like having an AV program will keep you safe 100% of the time is just plain crazy.  I work for a medium size business, we run a lot of secruity but it can only do so much.   We also run a NAC solution which is great but we still get hit with viruses from time to time due to peoples lack of common sense.

My analogy works fine.  If jerry wants to win, he is going to win.  Why do you think that all AV program update on a near daily bases?  Simple.  Virus Creators create new ways around AV programs each day and the AV companies have to play catch up.  Same  with Tom and Jerry.  Tom may catch Jerry one day and not the next.  Same with AV programs, it may catch the virus 9 out of 10times but that one time the virus will beat the scanner and we can both agree that one time can ruin your whole day.

Secruity is a hell of alot more then just having up to date AV programs.  It has alot to with teach people what to do and what not to do and hoping people use common sense.

Keep recommending any product that you feel works well but also teach your customers the do's and don'ts.  That will take them much further then a good AV program.

Well, I'm glad you explained yourself a bit better, as it almost sounded like you were saying, "well the AV software is not going to catch every virus, they are bound to get through eventually, so the hell with it".

Now that you've explained yourself further, it appears we are roughly on the same page. Obviously going to the wrong sites, downloading questionable files and/or clicking on links
    you are unsure of, etc. are things to avoid and no AV program will keep you 100% safe, no question. However, you are going to be banging your head against the wall if you think any amount of teaching is going to stop Joe Pervert from going to porn site "XXX" and downloading that file that he thinks will satisfy his urge.

I'm sure Tiger Woods had a pretty good idea that his marriage would be in trouble if his wife ever found out he was having multiple affairs, but he still was willing to take the risk.  Having an AV program that scores higher on the VB100 rather than lower will help those people (which in my experience has been the majority) from becoming infected.

I've used a few different AV's and AVG was my most used one for about 5 years now (I think), this is the first warning I've had in a long time, I don't download files often and I only play games, chat and read emails on this PC so it's hard for this PC to get infected. I have a back ground in unix/linux/sunos/aix and some network knowledge, but it doesn't ring well when it comes to Windows (I'm Windows illiterate, sorta). So with Windows, I only do those 3 things.

As I said in another thread, my unused WoW account (sat for 2 years without my ever logging in) was hijacked out of thin air and was used for almost 3 months (a bunch of low levels across random servers probably used for gold spamming), I suspect someone inside Blizzard has to do with this, and ever since I recovered it I've been getting floods of emails saying this and that was changed or such with odd fake links in the letter body. Things like this is going to always happen and you'll be left unaware of them.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

i dont play this but doesnt this use gameguard? whenever i launch anything using gameguard my firewall always goes haywire.

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240
    Originally posted by sookster54

I found a thread about it on Aion forums, apparently several others are having the same problem. AVG probably got a new database which forgot to make Aion files exceptional, I'm going to dig deeper. I have the paid AVG version, not the free one (my laptop has the free one).

Its something with AVG. I know this because it thinks FE is a trojan and sometimes picks up the WoW.exe as one as well. It's just their new DB is not liking certain hashs on files and throws a false positive.

If you want to be sure, try running a diff AV to verify, but I wouldnt worry too much.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• SholShol Member Posts: 361
    Originally posted by aleos

i dont play this but doesnt this use gameguard? whenever i launch anything using gameguard my firewall always goes haywire.

They removed gameguard short before game went final. Its possible that gameguard returns though.